A Scholar's Education (Guide)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online

You must be logged in to do that.

Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » A Scholar's Education (Guide)
A Scholar's Education (Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 99 100 101
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: kasain
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2013-05-15 22:03:18
Link | Quote | Reply

How does the new ring fit in. Will you ever make a skill chain giide as many schs are trying to do it now on the delve nms like karmu.
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-05-15 23:18:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Possibly. I actually had one at one point but I hit character limit and was too lazy to rewrite it.

As for ring it completely depends on if there is a need for SC/MB. (and how much the ring is, not sure if theres been testing. I'm going to wait till I see it as a drop to get it I think as of the moment) I'm in the process of getting people back together/joining groups for delve. I'll be adding stuff about new content and anything strats that work well.

Edit: just finished the 20k points for my bokwus robe. soloing the matamata on scholar is fun :3.
Edit2: as is leeching 10k~ points while taking finals!
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-05-16 20:39:54
Link | Quote | Reply

New stuffs pretty fun, but some of this ***takes quite a bit of magic acc. Messing w/ Kurma today and he has some mad magic eva. Nuking in my thunder acc staff to compensate><.

Yay damage shots?
 Bahamut.Blackmagus
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Blackmagus 2013-05-16 21:09:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wanted to say, sch is my favorite job and I really appreciate this guide! Was a lot of help with my gear choices, tyvm. :)
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-05-16 21:26:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Blackmagus said: »
sch is my favorite job
That makes 2 of us!
 Sylph.Dasanuffadat
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Dasanuffadat 2013-05-16 22:53:09
Link | Quote | Reply

For the solo stun set, does 8% haste really beat 10% cast and recast time from +2 relic head? o.O
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2013-05-16 22:54:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sawtelle said: »
Bahamut.Blackmagus said: »
sch is my favorite job
That makes 2 of us!

That makes three of us.
[+]
 Cerberus.Bikpik
Server: Cerberus
user: Bikpik
By Cerberus.Bikpik 2013-05-17 15:22:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Dasanuffadat said: »
For the solo stun set, does 8% haste really beat 10% cast and recast time from +2 relic head? o.O

It does, if you're using Alacrity, which you should be when stunning. You could use af2+2 head if you're out of stratagems though
 Odin.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-05-17 15:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

How are you gonna react fast enough to hit an alacrity macro THEN stun for a single TP move? Or is this referring to long casting spells?
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
Server: Bismarck
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-05-17 15:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

You Alacrity beforehand and then wait to stun? c.c
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-05-17 16:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Dasanuffadat said: »
At a little under 30% total haste, zelus tiara pulls ahead of af2+2 for alacrity down and is (I'm relatively sure) always the best alacrity up piece. If you haven't already made it, I would probably recommend not making af2+2 hat.
 Ragnarok.Tarusofo
user: Neptune
By Ragnarok.Tarusofo 2013-05-19 02:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Llewelyn said: »
You Alacrity beforehand and then wait to stun? c.c
I've never had to be on Stun duty on anything besides Kalasutrax and that's what I did. Alacrity stays up around 30 seconds since activation, enough time for the stratagems timer to not be a burden, really.
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-05-19 03:07:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, that's what I said should be done. Alacrity and wait.
By Dantedmc 2013-05-19 14:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe Phalaina Locket + Scholar's Pants +1 (under LA of course) is better than Colossus Torque + Nares Trews for your cure set.
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-05-19 15:08:05
Link | Quote | Reply

You would be right! And sch's potential inventory raises another 2 pieces. :/ I think along with the lowend sets I plan to add, I'm going to add sets that are subjectively best vs. inventory constraints.
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-05-19 23:13:46
Link | Quote | Reply

random test:

W/o: 1202
W/:1256

+4.5% MB damage
[+]
 Shiva.Denore
Server: Shiva
user: Denore
By Shiva.Denore 2013-05-22 08:03:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone mathed out Soothsayer Staff yet ? Thinking of picking it up soon (mostly cause I'm a nerd and I want to shattersoul all the things) but wondering what rank it has to be to outnuke Chat/Magian (also curious for Helices and Kaustra).
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2013-05-22 08:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Denore said: »
Anyone mathed out Soothsayer Staff yet ? Thinking of picking it up soon (mostly cause I'm a nerd and I want to shattersoul all the things) but wondering what level it has to be to outnuke Chat/Magian (also curious for Helices and Kaustra).

Someone mentioned if you max out the staff and have +75 MAB in other gear it would become the one staff to do max dmg on nukes.

As for Kaustra and helix's, I am not sure as both of those spells are more INT based than MAB.

Maybe our fearless taru will answer that question.

I do have one though. It is about rings. Now I have three rings and I am not sure what combo would be the best for nukes.

Locus Ring & Mujin Ring
Locus Ring & Stendu Ring
 Cerberus.Bikpik
By Cerberus.Bikpik 2013-05-22 14:50:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone mathed out Soothsayer Staff yet ? Thinking of picking it up soon (mostly cause I'm a nerd and I want to shattersoul all the things) but wondering what rank it has to be to outnuke Chat/Magian (also curious for Helices and Kaustra).

Using the nuking set (fully maxed) in this guide, you would need 78MAB to tie a magian staff, but it beats chat by quite a bit.
 Shiva.Denore
By Shiva.Denore 2013-05-22 16:10:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Bikpik said: »

Using the nuking set (fully maxed) in this guide, you would need 78MAB to tie a magian staff, but it beats chat by quite a bit.

Excuse my ignorance, I suck at XI math. 78 MAB including the MAB on staff, or from all other gear? And this is Rank 15 for the staff?
Also, assuming this is calcutaled for nukes with weather? What about Kaustra and Helix? For example, I made Magian staff for Kaustra, and then found that Chatoyant was still destroying it by a decent margin (vs. Salvage II bosses, Cerb and Khim to be specific).
 Cerberus.Bikpik
By Cerberus.Bikpik 2013-05-22 16:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Excuse my ignorance, I suck at XI math. 78 MAB including the MAB on staff, or from all other gear? And this is Rank 15 for the staff?
Also, assuming this is calcutaled for nukes with weather? What about Kaustra and Helix? For example, I made Magian staff for Kaustra, and then found that Chatoyant was still destroying it by a decent margin (vs. Salvage II bosses, Cerb and Khim to be specific).

Sorry I probably didn't explain clearly enough, using the nuking set in this guide, you would need 78 MAB on a staff to tie a magian staff, but Soothsayer can only get 65 total (after upgrading), so magian would win, using the set in this guide. You would need 85 total magic att (in gear and traits) to beat magian
 Shiva.Denore
By Shiva.Denore 2013-05-22 21:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry I probably didn't explain clearly enough, using the nuking set in this guide, you would need 78 MAB on a staff to tie a magian staff, but Soothsayer can only get 65 total (after upgrading), so magian would win, using the set in this guide. You would need 85 total magic att (in gear and traits) to beat magian

Ok, thanks for the math. Dream of shattersoul and nuking in one staffy package dead - so sad. Probably means I won't bother with it.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-05-22 22:18:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, thanks for the math. Dream of shattersoul and nuking in one staffy package dead - so sad. Probably means I won't bother with it.

how isnt it? Looking at the set he listed for nuking
ItemSet 267406
you need 85 MAB in gear alone. This set has 112. Take the 52 from the staff away and thats MAB+60. /blm or /rdm gives +24, taking you to MAB+84. Rank up either Bokwus Robe and Slops to Rank 1 (MAB+6 for either) and you are at your MAB+90.

That is, of course, factoring in all the other MAB gear, like the hands, and neck. But leveling up the Bokwus gear further would cover that difference.

Edit:: Looked at wrong number, fixed math, and added more info.
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-05-23 03:53:24
Link | Quote | Reply

ToM >GAINS< ground as quality of gear increases increase/difficulty of mob decreases. This means harder targets, sooth will nuke harder, while ToM wins for weaker content.

Rank 10 soothslayer doesn't beat ToM against a standard target unbuffed

For Helix/Kaustra Sooth should crush ToM. Lastly I believe a perfect augment skirmish staff is slightly better than Sooth for nuking (but not for helix/kaustra), but I hate random augment stuff and no one on my server does skirmish so I consider Sooth preferable.

Lastly lastly: I do not quantify the casting time % on ToM because it is not mutually exclusive. It does not apply to which nukes stronger, but if it is better to change staves for faster casts or save TP for shattersouls and such. On most targets currently (NMs in delve) I would say use ToM cast time. Places where you wont get wrecked if you get close to TP/WS (maybe NNI) use sooth. Post myrkr update I will almost definitely say keep 1 staff fulltime.

Back to Gear section if you came here from guide.
[+]
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-05-23 04:26:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Presidentobama said: »
I do have one though. It is about rings. Now I have three rings and I am not sure what combo would be the best for nukes.

Locus Ring & Mujin Ring
Locus Ring & Stendu Ring
If you are MBing Locus/Mujin should be best.
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-05-23 04:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Kk, pretty sure that is right. Other people that mathed it can make sure I haven't come to some jarringly opposing conclusions and double check the math.

On a subjective note: I am not currently working on a rank15 soothslayer staff as I think its main draws (1 inventory space and being able to keep TP) don't really get taken advantage of this update. It is also on track to be replaced (either by gear upgrades making ToM pull ahead or a new staff that is better). I'm thinking i'll rank10 it for solo situations and because it is pretty sexy for helixs/kaustra atm. Those w/o ToM staves should definitely invest.

However, if next update(whichever myrkr is made usable) SE doesn't make a new better staff, I will immediately rank 15 a soothslayer as it will fill an amazing roll as hands down best staff to nuke w/ and keep TP.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Presidentobama
By Ragnarok.Presidentobama 2013-05-23 05:15:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Kk, pretty sure that is right. Other people that mathed it can make sure I haven't come to some jarringly opposing conclusions and double check the math.

On a subjective note: I am not currently working on a rank15 soothslayer staff as I think its main draws (1 inventory space and being able to keep TP) don't really get taken advantage of this update. It is also on track to be replaced (either by gear upgrades making ToM pull ahead or a new staff that is better). I'm thinking i'll rank10 it for solo situations and because it is pretty sexy for helixs/kaustra atm. Those w/o ToM staves should definitely invest.

However, if next update(whichever myrkr is made usable) SE doesn't make a new better staff, I will immediately rank 15 a soothslayer as it will fill an amazing roll as hands down best staff to nuke w/ and keep TP.

My 99 empy staff is happy and sad all at the same time over this staff.
By Chimerawizard 2013-05-23 07:58:00
Link | Quote | Reply

ToM
(829+(172-100)*2.3)*2.23*1.15*1.1*1.3=3647.43

Soothslayer:
(829+(192-100)*2.3)*2.88*1.15*1.1=3791.11
Are you sure you got the ToM affinity:dmg correct?
I'm quite sure lv95&99 ToM staves are 1.35.

I made a simple Magic DMG calculator for BLMs with google drive.
Just use 5 BLM merits if nuking with klimaform buff on.
If you find any errors with it, please send me a PM with what it did wrong, I'll try to fix it.
(mine should be showing slightly lower values than yours as it floors the value quite a lot)
[+]
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2013-05-23 08:22:42
Link | Quote | Reply

uhhhhh, you are right. this is why I post all the math I do at 3am! I'll def look into the magic dmg calculator, I use an excel spread sheet I made and accidentally used an old version or something><. will fix in a few
By Chimerawizard 2013-05-23 09:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

random test:
W/o: 1202
W/:1256
Thanks for the #s.

I came up with a slightly different %, double check my math.
due to rounding at different points in the equation, it could actually be anywhere between 4.8% and 5%.
I prefer to think 5%.

I'm guessing you didn't equip any other items that enhance magic burst bonus.

I see how you got your results, you checked the actual DMG increase, not the term. sorry.
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 99 100 101