VanaFest 2012 Recap: The Facts
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-06-26 11:34:28
Link | Quote | Reply

There's only so much stupidity I can endure before needing to block someone. He won't be missed.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Taereon
Server: Ragnarok
user: Halo4
By Ragnarok.Taereon 2012-06-26 11:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I read Latifah and I think
[+]
 Valefor.Savain
Server: Valefor
user: Savain
By Valefor.Savain 2012-06-26 11:42:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The expansion sounds awesome.
 Asura.Patriclis
Server: Asura
user: Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2012-06-26 13:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Karbuncle said: »
Asura.Patriclis said: »
"Reclaim the Land"
Minecraft Did it.

"Geomancer"
Bard Did it.

"Rune Fencer"
WoW did it (Death knight anyone?)

"Instanced Dungeons"
More Moblin Maze Mongers...

"Personal Island Farms"
Runescape Did it.

"Monster Playing"
Pokemon did it? (Okay this is kinda newish actually as far as I can tell so yay?)

all those concepts you named, There were games that did it before the games you listed.

Pretty much every aspect of any game released on a system past Atari has borrowed good ideas from other games. Its not only common practice, its a smart move if done right. Innovate, But look into what is good.

Or were you just going "SIMPSON DID IT" on me >_>?

Yeah that was pretty much the point ;) just making some lulz since I know people are going to say the exact same things at some point but actually be serious about it. =P

After all, I did add afterwords
"All that said I'm actually quite excited to see how this expansion turns out. All in all, I see a lot of ideas used in other games but that makes me hopeful, because frankly they're pretty good ideas. It's seeing whether or not SE manages to do this well, and integrate these ideas into the game properly or not that really make me hesitant to be over excited for this expansion."

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Elmodfz
Server: Odin
user: Elmodfz
By Odin.Elmodfz 2012-06-26 15:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Farming on our own personal islands? It's Harvest Moon! God it's another place to kill plants, I can do that well enough in my MH! Do we get animals to raise I wonder? I hope they don't die as well if you forget about them :S I reckon it might have some kind of system like the chocobo raising, so you can set an NPC to do the work for you.

New guilds sound interesting, although I don't quite understand how some of them would work. Either way I'm getting more interested and looking forward to this new expansion. I hope it comes out around June next year as I will have finished university then for good so will be able to get stuck into it!
 Bismarck.Nevill
Server: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2012-06-26 15:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

This just may bring good ole Nevill out of retirement.
 Shiva.Karmessurma
Server: Shiva
user: Decadence
By Shiva.Karmessurma 2012-06-26 23:14:57
Link | Quote | Reply

"Geomancer"
Bard Did it.

"Rune Fencer"
Surprised it wasn't said that for Geomancers that WoW already did it with Shamans.
 Phoenix.Urteil
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-06-27 16:43:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I want to play as my character in PvP.

Not some stupid monster resembling pankration.

SE made everything else sound great and is filled with promise, this stupid system however will flop, and I hope it gets scrapped before completion.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-06-27 16:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

So far yours is the first negative comment about it I see. I, like some others, think it will be fun.
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-06-27 16:46:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Draginhikari said: »
I'm pretty sure the play as a monster system is about as close as FFXI is going to get to any PVP anytime in the near future given how screwed up the job system is as far as trying to balance PVP after SE has more or less ignored it for a number of years.

Does work in it's own way though, it allows of competitive play without really needed to take what will soon be 22 jobs into account, dealing with other system limitations, and not imbalance the major PvE focus most job adjustments take into account. I'm actually rather interested to see how it takes place.

PvE and PvP are not on the same balancing schema, all it takes to balance PvP and PvE at the same time is to

A) have skills operate differently on players (this is 2012 not 1995), easy to flag players uniqley and adjust abilities via other players on them.

B) Have Player versus Player engagements take place in a special field, or under a status of dueling or consent so that the special rules can be applies independent of the rest of the world.

The idea that only "one" type of balance can exist is ridiculous and the carry-over from poor/lazy development/programming in the early to late 90's. Even then it was hardly acceptable, just a crime of sloth.

Job balance isn't as skewed as you may think, with jobs like WHM BRD and COR having the capacity to contend 1v1 with job like BLU (which is what I feel you might be referring to "overpowered") BLU is nowhere near close to overpowered in PvP.

Even further in group play the dynamic of each job come into play and there is not a single job in this game I would label as useless.

I want to play the character I spent years getting equipment, beating story line, and developing an attachment to in battle. I'm a DRK anyway (derp) so maybe I can flag up and just run around smacking other flagged people in zones instead of doing a system that is just reminiscent of LoTR terrible monster play, system.
 Asura.Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2012-06-27 16:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Karmessurma said: »
"Geomancer"
Bard Did it.

"Rune Fencer"
Surprised it wasn't said that for Geomancers that WoW already did it with Shamans.

Because I didn't want to use the same game twice?
By Artemicion 2012-06-27 16:48:56
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI was never really a contender in the PVP department as far as MMOs go. It's a shame, because there is much underlying potential, however, the nature of the systems of gameplay already implemented make it unrealistic aside from Ballista or Brenner. Unless they majorly revamp how it operates and give multiple options in playstyle, PVP will be rather negligible in this game. For the most part MMOs have always been highly emphasized on PVE.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-06-27 16:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The play as a monster thing is the biggest risk in this expansion by far.
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-06-27 16:51:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said: »
FFXI was never really a contender in the PVP department as far as MMOs go. It's a shame, because there is much underlying potential, however, the nature of the systems of gameplay already implemented make it unrealistic aside from Ballista or Brenner. Unless they majorly revamp how it operates and give multiple options in playstyle, PVP will be rather negligible in this game. For the most part MMOs have always been highly emphasized on PVE.

I'm totally fine with an isolated area. I'm not a fan of "World PvP" which usually equates to:

Player vs. Player who is fighting a mob at 10% hp. Or.

Players vs. Player.

I did that in Lineage 2 for years.

I'd want it to be a consensual system, or an isolated area like it already is with some cosmetic rewards or something. Or with a contested zone that you choose to go into.

I totally agree and am glad that somebody sees the potential I did and do.
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2012-06-27 17:15:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm looking forward to this mostly, I hope it's a whole game with this right here.
[+]
By trucido 2012-06-27 17:21:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I enjoyed the edit about FF:T.
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2012-06-27 18:06:18
Link | Quote | Reply

They need to address a fix to Auto-target.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-06-27 18:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Rinomaru said: »
They need to address a fix to Auto-target.

whats wrong with Auto-target: OFF?
 Asura.Draginhikari
By Asura.Draginhikari 2012-06-27 18:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm well aware that it is possible to do this, but it really the simple matter that they won't. That type of modification would require SE to review each job and make a new set of adjustments to balance them between the two different settings when they have a hard enough time doing it for one set. I would assume managing mobs is easier then jobs in regards to that process.

I will be honest, the opinions I have stated are not my own experiences since PVP was already pretty much dead on Asura before I even started playing mostly based on the accounts of about 4 dozen people on their opinions so I may have spoken out of turn in regards to what is considered overpowered.

To each his own I suppose I would much rather have a PVP type situation where we are not battling with the central characters and monster fighting doesn't seem like a bad way to provide it in theory assuming SE finds a way to keep it interesting.
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-06-27 18:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Rinomaru said: »

I'm looking forward to this mostly, I hope it's a whole game with this right here.

It totally is it's own game!
[+]
 Bismarck.Patrik
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2012-06-27 18:35:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
The play as a monster thing is the biggest risk in this expansion by far.
don't think the play as a monster thing will be tied to the expansion

according to this it will be starting around September. so at least if it end up not going well, it shouldn't tie down the expansion itself
 Bismarck.Aselin
user: Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2012-06-27 19:15:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Seeing that the far west continent of Ulbuka will be added, I'm giving serious thoughts on revamping that world map I made so very long ago. I keep meaning to update it over the years but been putting it aside because of so many things going on in my life.

You can find the map here nowadays.

I still have the original PSD (Photoshop) file around on my hard drive. It's quite a big file already-- 4.7 MB worth. Given the shape of the initial area, it looks like this continent may be quite large as the rest of the continent is not revealed. Equivalent to Quon in size, perhaps?

It seems the same thing SE has done with Aht Urghan (Near East) where they didn't reveal the Far East where Tenzen and a couple famous FFXI characters reside in. A lot of things will have to be adjusted thanks to the lore that was added by Aht Urghan expansion pack, and soon Aldoulin.
 Asura.Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2012-06-27 20:30:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Frankly I'm looking forward to the crystal market re-stabilizing XD
 Shiva.Karmessurma
user: Decadence
By Shiva.Karmessurma 2012-06-27 22:38:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Karmessurma said: »
"Geomancer"
Bard Did it.

"Rune Fencer"

Because I didn't want to use the same game twice?
I wouldn't have knocked it as having uncreative comparisons. Honestly, I see your point with the whole Fell Knight thing.
 Fairy.Prometheus
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Prometheus 2012-07-15 09:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

they are a little late to take advantage of the fact that GS was not a primary weapon for any job. or maybe that's the point - here's a job that will have high native skill for the much desired resolution weaponskill.

SE has advertised many jobs as tanks before (if memory serves SAM was meant to be a tank and nin a spellcasting DD) and I wonder why MNK is not listed - the job with the most HP and reasonable defensive abilities. I guess they better like their new belt.