The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 277 278 279 ... 446 447 448
 Bismarck.Speedyjim
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: speedyjim
By Bismarck.Speedyjim 2016-04-11 17:21:34
Link | Quote | Reply

How would gearswap differentiate between self and party focused sets if you can only cast White Wind on yourself?
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-04-11 17:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm assuming Llewelyn has a toggle of some sort.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-04-11 17:59:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually just have a rule in my GS that equips my self-focused set when I'm below 35% HP and the party-focused set when I'm above 35% HP. Won't always use the more optimal set in some situations, but it's fine enough for me.

Don't ask me for the rule, by the way. I'm awful with gearswap and am self-conscious about how messy and ugly they all are. lol
 Bismarck.Speedyjim
Server: Bismarck
user: speedyjim
By Bismarck.Speedyjim 2016-04-11 18:05:03
Link | Quote | Reply

That actually helps. With that information, I can simply add a rule similar to it.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-04-13 20:15:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I mentioned caps on Magic Fruit and Plenilune Embrace in a previous post. For those familiar with cure formulae, that cap is at 1240 power. For most scenarios (no healing skill from sub), you'll hit that cap somewhere in the low 300s MND range (depending on VIT/skill gear). With 200 VIT and 16 healing skill (merits) for instance, I'd cap out at 344 MND.

Restoral caps much earlier (as MND goes anyway, power cap is the same), because it uses blue magic skill instead of healing magic skill. It also scales better near max power (no "soft cap" where HP increases much more slowly). At high power values you can get approximate cure values (+/- 1) using rate=1.27 and const=552. Those aren't the exact values, but they're close enough that I'm willing to leave it alone for now. Will refine those numbers when I get around to testing thresholds and low power values.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2016-04-13 22:54:15
Link | Quote | Reply

What situations do you find restoral to be useful? I've got a hard time ever fitting it in given it's set point cost and self-only cast limit.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-04-13 23:04:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure I set it once around the time I came back, tried it, decided it was absolutely not worth using, and never set it again. I'm only gathering data on it for completion's sake. If I need a cure I use Magic Fruit or White Wind.

A cure for up to ~2k HP is pretty awesome in theory, but it costs too many set points, self-target only is lame, and you don't really need that much off a single cure most of the time anyway. It's just not a great option.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2016-04-14 07:36:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Pretty sure I set it once around the time I came back, tried it, decided it was absolutely not worth using, and never set it again. I'm only gathering data on it for completion's sake. If I need a cure I use Magic Fruit or White Wind.

A cure for up to ~2k HP is pretty awesome in theory, but it costs too many set points, self-target only is lame, and you don't really need that much off a single cure most of the time anyway. It's just not a great option.
Thanks, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I do need to boost my fruit cures a bit though.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2016-04-14 08:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

WoE and occasional backtanking roles it can be good. Though White Wind is pretty crazy in WoE due to near constant HP boost

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2016-04-14 08:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Also used it when spamming the Shadowlord fight for my Dread Jupon. It's helpful in second phase to keep DD up instead of wasting time curing after every one of his blasts.
By Takisan 2016-04-15 08:41:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Thanks, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I do need to boost my fruit cures a bit though.

ItemSet 343174

This is my set. Last time I saw I got 1099 on a self cure and around 850 hp curing an ally. Herc feet DM augment 11% cure pot, and 4% and 3 mind on Telchine cap. Could probably do better but just for some ideas. I think the cure set on first page uses some different gear to cap self cure pot.

Love blu can do so many things so well with the right gear.1099 hp for 72 mp nice to have around ^^
 Sylph.Braden
By Sylph.Braden 2016-04-15 11:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Restoral is great for cleaving, or at least for me where I don't have any trusts or other players around me. Two points is worth the reduced casting time and stronger potency when you're 100% of the party.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Leoheika
Server: Asura
user: Leoheart
By Asura.Leoheika 2016-04-16 14:30:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi Guys,
Looking to do some improving on gear sets and wondering if you guys can provide some constructive criticism on immediate upgrades and what content I can do with my current sets, I'm looking to reach the standard needed to things like SR & Tier 3 Ru'aun mobs to chase after the better items.

I understand to be optimal I would need multiple pieces of herculean for TP & WS and it does appear like I'm almost WSing my tp gear. >.>

With regards to CDC, I very slightly remember it having an accuracy bonus, is this true? And how accuracy does it provide if so?

Many thanks on all advice :)
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-04-16 14:34:57
Link | Quote | Reply

It probably has a first hit accuracy bonus, but that's it. You may have remembered it having relatively high accuracy due to how it's geared (DEX heavy).

The first things I would do would be to get an accuracy ring to replace Petrov in the the accuracy-oriented TP set (ideally Ramuh+1) and at least one Nibiru blade (unless you think you can skip right to Colada). If you can use one of your Ambuscade mantles on BLU (get DEX/Acc/Attack/Crit rate), then that would be great as well.
By Draylo 2016-04-16 14:40:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Braden said: »
Restoral is great for cleaving, or at least for me where I don't have any trusts or other players around me. Two points is worth the reduced casting time and stronger potency when you're 100% of the party.

Restoral is 7 set points. Magic fruit is 3, not sure what else you mean by "two points"
[+]
 Asura.Leoheika
By Asura.Leoheika 2016-04-16 14:49:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
It probably has a first hit accuracy bonus, but that's it. You may have remembered it having relatively high accuracy due to how it's geared (DEX heavy).

The first things I would do would be to get an accuracy ring to replace Petrov in the the accuracy-oriented TP set (ideally Ramuh+1) and at least one Nibiru blade (unless you think you can skip right to Colada). If you can use one of your Ambuscade mantles on BLU (get DEX/Acc/Attack/Crit rate), then that would be great as well.

Thanks Kyte.

I totally forgot ambuscade existed, I was waiting until it died down a bit before making some capes.

I attempted to do Nosoi with my WHM friend and some trusts and ultimately wiped at around 30%, this was before I gained some herculean gear so maybe it will go better next time, though it'd be likely be better to reattempt in a group with reliable earth damage for procs.

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Israfell
Server: Carbuncle
user: orionx3
By Carbuncle.Israfell 2016-04-16 16:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey All,
So I recently got a free Iris from my friend Bountibox in Bastok Mines. I wasn't intending on going after an Iris since there are much better weapons to choose. The problem is I don't have those weapons and right now this Iris is one of my best choices.
Right now my gear is mostly crap but I have to start somewhere. So I want to include this Iris somehow.
So my question is since I already have it and I have plenty of money to choose an augment path, what would be the best path when I am only going to be using it temporarily. The 900k for 3 eschalixirs to upgrade it is no big deal because I have been saving up but I just which path I should take when it will only be temporary.
I don't have a big LS nor do I have a bunch of friends to play with so I am looking at PUGs and soloable stuff and luck from gobbie box to further my gear.
What would be the best use for this Iris? I am currently using Claid(meager augments)/Xuileato(full accuracy).
I was thinking about going path D for the nukes but I have a Nehustan/Tamaxchi(full m.acc) for that.
I am totally down for following the guide on MAB build but they don't have weapons in the recommended gear sets.

Or should I just go directly after Nebiru/Colada and call it a day?
REM isn't really realistic for me with my play time.

Thanks

tldr: which Iris path when it is your only decent sword and no friends to help you with better stuff?
By oldman 2016-04-16 16:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It sounds like you need ACC so go with that augment for now. You might want to reaugment it later with blue magic skill and macc. It can be useful for those times when you need/want to use swords and need more macc.

It's not a bad sword by any means. There are just better options (which you don't have yet).
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2016-04-16 16:40:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Asura.Leoheika said: »
Hi Guys,
Looking to do some improving on gear sets and wondering if you guys can provide some constructive criticism on immediate upgrades and what content I can do with my current sets, I'm looking to reach the standard needed to things like SR & Tier 3 Ru'aun mobs to chase after the better items.

I understand to be optimal I would need multiple pieces of herculean for TP & WS and it does appear like I'm almost WSing my tp gear. >.>

With regards to CDC, I very slightly remember it having an accuracy bonus, is this true? And how accuracy does it provide if so?

Rawrr from my LS needs some gear from Escha for his BLU too. I'll take you along.

That is if I don't keep gearing him up before you :P
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2016-04-16 16:55:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Israfell said: »
tldr: which Iris path when it is your only decent sword and no friends to help you with better stuff?

The more ideal thing to pursue would be Nibiru Blades and Cudgels, I think. The currrent campaign should be reducing the price on the pop items (or make it easier to farm them). You'll still need the 'lixers for those too. They're soloable - perhaps easier if you have SCH or something (for Nosoi at least), but doable either way.

That being said, you don't need to worry too much when augmenting Escha gear via Nolan. You can change the augment path, while keeping all the progress, for a measly 3k silt. So it's not like you'd be stuck with whatever path you choose.

Iris is going to be a fairly poor nuking weapon no matter how you slice it. Path D does possibly have niche use for absolute max Blue Magic skill, and is one of the higher non-Tizona MAcc options...but would be mediocre in general.

IMO, path A or B, just depending on what the rest of your gear is like, and what you're targeting. Once you've gotten better, maybe swap it to path A or D for niche use (I could maybe see A being one to pull out for physical spell spam).
 Asura.Leoheika
By Asura.Leoheika 2016-04-16 17:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Asura.Leoheika said: »
Hi Guys,

Rawrr from my LS needs some gear from Escha for his BLU too. I'll take you along.

Hey there, sorry for the delayed response, I'd really appreciate it if you're happy to do that :)

Post deleted by User.
By oldman 2016-04-16 17:59:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Isiolia said: »
IMO, path A or B, just depending on what the rest of your gear is like, and what you're targeting. Once you've gotten better, maybe swap it to path A or D for niche use (I could maybe see A being one to pull out for physical spell spam).

I like path D when fighting things that build resistance to stun overtime, or if I find I'm having trouble landing dispel or sleep (and prefer to be using a sword).

Post deleted by User.
By wotusei 2016-04-16 18:41:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Is Mimesis with its augments viable? the guide just says no, but with it's augments it seems pretty decent.
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-04-16 19:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

As much as I hate to say it, with the augments, it's actually alright for when you only care about accuracy. However, a well-augmented Colada is very close for accuracy. There are much better swords for DPS, but if you can't get the others, Mimesis is passable. However, I'd suggest putting your time and money into obtaining other options far before you consider settling for Mimesis.
 Siren.Sjg
Server: Siren
user: sjg6
By Siren.Sjg 2016-04-16 22:54:32
Link | Quote | Reply

It looks a lot better than passable, it offers a ton of acc and since you can buy everything off the AH it's substantially easier to obtain than other options.

I suspect the guide, or at least that part of it, hasn't been updated since the augment became available.
First Page 2 3 ... 277 278 279 ... 446 447 448