Best dagger for thief
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 14 15 16
 Shiva.Arana
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Arana1
By Shiva.Arana 2012-12-28 04:34:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not agreeing with them just wading through their huge post for a simplified version since you didn't seem to get their point.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-12-28 04:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Arana said: »
They mean the Rancor back and nef neck over rancor neck and atheling back. More crit less da basically.

Still bad advice.
[+]
 Fenrir.Weakness
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2012-12-28 04:34:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Cantontai said: »
They mean the Rancor back and nef neck over rancor neck and atheling back. More crit less da basically.

It's not just DA, it's a significant amount of ATK+

Would love to see some math from the
Asura.Kurriko said: »
Stop using Rancor Collar.
person.

Rancorous has +17 attack as well, so you're only losing 3.
 Shiva.Arana
By Shiva.Arana 2012-12-28 04:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »

Still bad advice.
See my last post.
 Bahamut.Cantontai
Server: Bahamut
user: Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2012-12-28 04:38:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Still bad advice.
See my last post.

I'm sorry I missed the part where 3 more DA and 3 more ATK was worse than 3 Crit on a job with a high Crit rate, explain it again?
 Shiva.Arana
By Shiva.Arana 2012-12-28 04:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy *** read this:
Oh don't get me wrong I'm not agreeing with them just wading through their huge post for a simplified version since you didn't seem to get their point.
 Bahamut.Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2012-12-28 04:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy *** read this:
Oh don't get me wrong I'm not agreeing with them just wading through their huge post for a simplified version since you didn't seem to get their point. disagreeing with you for no apparent reason, despite clearly knowing the idiot I'm defending is wrong.
By sprinkles84 2012-12-28 04:40:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Thf knife

/thread
 Bahamut.Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2012-12-28 04:42:54
Link | Quote | Reply

More crit less da basically.
 Shiva.Arana
By Shiva.Arana 2012-12-28 04:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems as though you're making a case for diminishing returns in Critical Hit Rate+, which, ok.

But your alternative is....a critical hit rate neck that has a lower percentage.

What?
You implied here that their alternate set had less crit rate(which was wrong) you never mentioned the real reason it was bad.

I said this:
Stating that their set has more crit rate since that was why you said it was wrong. Then I mentioned the reason it was bad. Never did I defend them. Learn to read.
 Bahamut.Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2012-12-28 04:48:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems as though you're making a case for diminishing returns in Critical Hit Rate+, which, ok.

But your alternative is....a critical hit rate neck that has a lower percentage.

What?
You implied here that their alternate set had less crit rate(which was wrong) you never mentioned the real reason it was bad.

I said this:
Stating that their set has more crit rate since that was why you said it was wrong then I mentioned the reason it was bad. Never did I defend them. Learn to read.

I see what you're saying. ***. Yup, I was confused about what was being supposed about crit rate, but in my defense their entire point is without any basis.
 Shiva.Arana
By Shiva.Arana 2012-12-28 04:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Fair enough, no hard feelings yea?
 Bahamut.Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2012-12-28 04:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fair enough, no hard feelings yea?

Just towards the Nef/Ranc Mantle idiot ^^
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-12-28 05:02:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure their entire point is based on not knowing how to multiply.
 Ragnarok.Zirael
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zirael
By Ragnarok.Zirael 2012-12-28 05:21:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Yarly said: »
99 mandau + 99 twash !
Since you've asked for the best of the best, this is the correct answer.
For TH upgrading purposes, replace one of those with Thief Knife.
By Solrain 2012-12-29 18:54:01
Link | Quote | Reply

For what it's worth, Mote's spreadsheet has Nef/Rancorous coming up ~1% ahead of Rancor/Atheling on Dyna DC. For my build anyay, and it's entirely possible that I *** something up.
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-12-29 22:51:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think they were saying that combo is never good (it is in some cases), I think they were just saying that "stop using Rancor Collar" is a bit extreme to say without substantial qualifications.

Personally, as Mithra, I use Love Torque + Rancorous vs Dyna DC.
 Asura.Kurriko
Server: Asura
user: chasca
By Asura.Kurriko 2012-12-29 22:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

If you need the acc, Rancor/Atheling is better.

If you don't need the 6Acc. 3% Crit beats 3%DA and 3Attack.

Why? Thief has +14% native critical hit damage bonus and native 10% Triple attack (The former favours crit, and the latter diminishes DA).

Thf should have 4%QA 16%TA 23%DA in a non-DC dyna set. Firstly, because of the priority of QA>TA>DA, 3% DA is actually only 2.04% increase in DoT. (3%DA is actually 2.4~% and the base 23% is only 18.5~, 120.9664 / 118.5472 = 1.02040706)

From my last few Prov Watcher parses, 3% crit should be about 4.5% increase in DoT. 60/40 melee/ws split, that's about a 2.7% increase.

2.7 > 2.0. 3 Attack isn't going to make up 0.7%.

Rough numbers, can post spreadsheet numbers later to prove the point. But effectively (Unless using the new proposed skadi/sigyn/patentia build which could change everything) for the standard AF3 & 4/5 Thaumas build Nefarious/Rancorous is better than Rancor/Atheling unless you need the 6Acc on Rancor Collar. (And Love Torque/Rancorous is better than both if you happen to be in the sweet dDex spot where it gives 5% crit).

Edit: Times when you should need the acc: Stuff like Ig-Alima and Legion but in all honesty you should probably be using Sharpeye in that case, or even sushi because even with Aggressor and Stalwarts you'll only have about 70% hit rate.
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-12-29 23:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: Times when you should need the acc: Stuff like Ig-Alima and Legion but in all honesty you should probably be using Sharpeye in that case, or even sushi because even with Aggressor and Stalwarts you'll only have about 70% hit rate.
THF can use letalis mantle.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-12-29 23:58:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
From my last few Prov Watcher parses, 3% crit should be about 4.5% increase in DoT. 60/40 melee/ws split, that's about a 2.7% increase.

No.
[+]
 Asura.Kurriko
By Asura.Kurriko 2012-12-30 10:17:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

No.
Yes. You bolded the wrong part. I guess I didn't word it properly - it's about 4.5% increase to melee DoT, which is 60% of your total damage for a 2.7% total DoT increase, it's even written in the quote of mine you pulled. I'll bold that too so you can see it.

Even if you had a 50/50 split (which is more plausible in VW if you have regain atma+temp+embrava) then it's still a 2.25% increase, and that 0.25% is still more than 3Attack is going to give you in that situation with the attack buffs you'll have.
Phoenix.Suji said: »
THF can use letalis mantle.
Forgot about that one, yes.
In cases where you aren't acc capped you should be using Letalis+Rancor collar. For times when you're capped, Nefarious+Rancorous. Atheling is for Exenterator.

Look at the end of the day, I've shown with some simple theory and napkin math why the setup I proposed is better. It's up to you to put it into the spreadsheet and see for yourself (as one person already did).
If you don't want to test it out for yourself then that's not my problem - I already know it's the best setup for capped-acc in a 4/5 Thaumas set. You're only hurting yourself by immediately dismissing it.

As I said in my first post - The reason why Rancor/Atheling is better for jobs like Ninja is that unlike Thf it doesn't have native 10% Triple Attack and 14% Critical Attack Bonus which both favour criticals over DA in this example.
 Asura.Kurriko
By Asura.Kurriko 2012-12-30 11:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

And if you want to know where I pulled 4.5% from then it's simple:
A crit is a 250% increase in damage based on my numbers. Meaning an extra 150% damage added to your base. 3% of 150 is 4.5. Simple.

If you think I'm pulling the parse numbers out of my arse then here:
Prov Watcher only. 2 fights. /War, RCB, Min x2, Mad x2, Stalwarts, Bravers, Monarchs, Champions, Embrava, Boost-Str, Incursion/Coercion/Slayer atmacites.
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2012-12-30 11:27:57
Link | Quote | Reply

thief knife/kraken club!
 Valefor.Avitorii
Server: Valefor
user: Avitori
By Valefor.Avitorii 2012-12-30 11:32:34
Link | Quote | Reply

10 pages? This is all you need on THF.

[+]
 Asura.Kurriko
By Asura.Kurriko 2012-12-30 11:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Avitorii said: »
10 pages? This is all you need on THF.

Actually, I'd add Thuellaic Ecu, AF3 Boomarang, Ocelomeh/+1 Head, Suppanomimi, AF3+2 Body, Bullwhip Belt and Thaumas legs to that set.
26% Haste, 0% Multi-attack (apart from native traits) for maximum TH procs.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2012-12-30 11:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Shield and Dual Wield gear, eh?
 Asura.Kurriko
By Asura.Kurriko 2012-12-30 19:32:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Herp derp. Serves me right for posting at 4am lol.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-12-30 22:03:05
Link | Quote | Reply

And if you want to know where I pulled 4.5% from then it's simple:
A crit is a 250% increase in damage based on my numbers. Meaning an extra 150% damage added to your base. 3% of 150 is 4.5. Simple.

Except you already had 30.55% crit rate (We'll call it 30) So it's not +4.5%.

100 + 150(0.3) = 145

100 + 150(0.33) = 150

(150-145)/145 = 3.4%

There's something bizarre about your melee damage, though. You have hits for 0 but your melee +0 and melee -0 averages are identical, which is unlikely.
 Asura.Kurriko
By Asura.Kurriko 2012-12-30 22:45:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that's an error with kparser. I don't know why it says melee low was 0, melee low was 21
Thanks for correcting my numbers. In this case, due to the skewed TP/WS ratio due to 11 tick regain, the setup does favour Rancor/Atheling. So I shall revise my original claim to:

Acc capped + Mad regain: Rancor/Atheling
Acc uncapped: Rancor/Letalis
Acc capped: Nefarious/Rancorous

Considering Embrava will soon be changed to refresh, the top category won't be very common. So I still feel comfortable in saying "Nef/Rancor > Rancor/Atheling" as a general rule.

To repeat: You can always check it for yourself in the spreadsheet.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-12-30 22:56:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Spreadsheet is going to give widely varied results depending on how you define your targets. (Additionally, using real weapons will alter the results)
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 14 15 16