Random Question Thread (FFXI Related)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Random Question thread (FFXI related)
Random Question thread (FFXI related)
First Page 2 3 ... 513 514 515 ... 836 837 838
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2017-12-17 06:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Best chance of winning takes 8~

Tank whm 2rng cor geo / 2nd geo sch (it's flexable though)

Coronochs/last stands sch can open skillchains (not maju) all trueflights for maju prevents accidental skillchains

(leaden/wf for cor) can open frag, bad for maju
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-12-17 09:14:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Anybody ever experienced a weekly-reset RoE not opening up right after JP reset?

It's 15 mins past JP midnight and the Weekly ambuscade RoE didn't reset for me, it's still marked as "completed" from when I did it 2 days ago.

Edit:
Nvm I'm a total idiot it seems...
By Afania 2017-12-17 10:31:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
There is nothing wrong with it, correct.

But answer your questions the way they are directed.

If someone is asking the best way to do it, try to understand WHY they would be asking.

Someone that has to ask how to do it, has a 0% chance of pulling it off with melees. It's the reason SMN strats exist in the first place. If melee was possible SMN wouldn't exist.

My absolute favorite thing in this game is watching people fail content. I'm highly qualified in the "what works" category.

People that think they're a "good" melee are a dime a dozen. ACTUAL good melee are quite rare.

As someone who used to PUG on the regular basis(before I find an endgame LS at least), have experience PUG Neak successfully starting from 1/6 (that means no friends in pt) and only use PUG friendly strat myself, I can promise you are exaggerating the difficulty of melee setup.

For neak it requires more "pt coordination" with blm because of run in and remove shield part. V.S melee setup that you just spam ws at 1000 tp. Neak is not remotely dangerous with fade, there's nothing else that requires pt coordination because shield removal and meteor spam are the only gimmicks that I remember, and melee + fade deals with it best.

Not to mention the moment you shout for none melee setup for neak in PUG community, people that's actually experienced with Neak would immediately think "blm setup in 2018? This guy probably don't know wtf he is doing so I'm not joining", making it harder to get experienced player, and harder to kill if entire pt are new or inexperienced. One of the key to build a winning PUG is that you want to have at least a few member that is experienced. And the best way to do that is to use a setup that's more commonly accepted in experienced community.

For Yakshi, the magic evasion is way too high for avg players or PUG. it's near impossible to find blm with required macc these days since focus nerf. If I remember correctly, Yakshi also resists piercing, therefore putting up a dps check that's not easy to pass with PUG RNG. Nvm the fact that PUG community has more melee than RNG. If you think getting good melee is hard, getting good RNG is even harder.

And yes, I've tried Yakshi PUG with RNG before, tried TF and Last stand using appropriate buffs. Despite the RNG setup youtube video I really wouldnt say it's easier than melee with PUG just because both TF and Last stand didn't hit as hard as other melee ws. I also run into people who couldn't kill it on time with rng setup all the time.

BST is arguably most PUG friendly setup, but then its the same as SMN and I think you still need to deal with aoe using bst. May as well melee it.

It's always easy to claim "melee is hard, don't use it or you'll fail" like its universal facts to scare new people away then proceed to attack others suggestion for being impractical to inexperienced people. You can always ask for details about how to make such setup successful. Maybe after learning more about it he'll find it more useful for PUG.

But anyways, it's your $13 so use whatever setup you want. I'm out of this pointless argument.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2017-12-17 10:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I've seen Neak's complete dispel and Yakshi's doom wreck many a PUG melee zerg.
By Afania 2017-12-17 10:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
I've seen Neak's complete dispel and Yakshi's doom wreck many a PUG melee zerg.

Doom may be dangerous if your melee dps isn't high enough to kill it on time. Leader always assign extra cursna person or use water. But what's so horrible about dispel? Isn't it just rebuff?
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2017-12-17 11:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Dispel means that mediocre melees can't do anything for an extended time, and even after rebuffs JAs are still down for a while, letting him use Discordant Note more.

Plus, Heavy Stomp/Meteor (especially when chainspelled) becomes more likely to take people out when buffs are down, and it often just snowballs.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-12-17 11:16:23
Link | Quote | Reply

i will agree melee is pretty easy on neak, but between the curse aura and doom aoe i don't think you're painting a fair picture of meleeing yakshi

with rng rng rng geo brd cor | whm pld, i typically kill yakshi in 2 minutes.. a pug should surely be able to do 1/7 my damage to kill in time?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2017-12-17 12:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I've seen a shitload of melee t3 fails. Like triple digits.

Neak's discordant note takes food, and pugs are hard enough to get them to use 1 sushi, let alone 3 or 10. That's if they survive meteors in their glass cannon sets, since they don't bother with dt sets. or the whm that has no precast set, and runs out of mp from cure 6. without eber's legs.

"dt sets are for pld" sigh.

It's real easy to forget how hard things are when you have a competent group to make them easy. (hard, being subjective, within the context of pugging. nothing is /actually/ hard.)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Afania 2017-12-17 14:47:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Dispel means that mediocre melees can't do anything for an extended time, and even after rebuffs JAs are still down for a while, letting him use Discordant Note more.

Plus, Heavy Stomp/Meteor (especially when chainspelled) becomes more likely to take people out when buffs are down, and it often just snowballs.

Yes, that's why I suggest fade since you can't dispel geo bubbles.

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
i will agree melee is pretty easy on neak, but between the curse aura and doom aoe i don't think you're painting a fair picture of meleeing yakshi

with rng rng rng geo brd cor | whm pld, i typically kill yakshi in 2 minutes.. a pug should surely be able to do 1/7 my damage to kill in time?

I've helped someone's RNG PUG because they "time out at 1%". That being said, their pt size was smaller than yours, only 1 RNG and 1 COR. So it's not that surprising to time out if COR can't DD.

If I am making a PUG, I would personally still go for melee for at least once and just bring holy water for doom. Then RNG if it doesn't work. Being one of the least popular job, Finding 1 well geared RNG in PUG community is painful enough, finding 3 is even harder.

PUG Blm is just no no for yakshi these days, IMO.

Neak's discordant note takes food, and pugs are hard enough to get them to use 1 sushi, let alone 3 or 10. That's if they survive meteors in their glass cannon sets, since they don't bother with dt sets. or the whm that has no precast set, and runs out of mp from cure 6. without eber's legs.

It's real easy to forget how hard things are when you have a competent group to make them easy. (hard, being subjective, within the context of pugging. nothing is /actually/ hard.)

I already mentioned geo fade in previous post, that would help with the lack of DT set. Last time when I made Neak pt I only use DD+GEO with 4 trusts. GEO die at 70% to 60% because no(or bad) DT set. Although it was a rough fight, Neak was still killed with GEO staying dead pretty much entire time and useless.

If Neak can be killed with 2 people and one of them dead more than half the time, Im really having hard time believing a 6 man pt(assuming they meet the gear requirement) with additional layers of protection will be an issue, even if all 6 people are less experienced.

I have been making pt for years and I know exactly what it is like to PUG. Any PUG leader can just add some sort of gear check if gear quality is an issue. You can't have bayld gear players, obviously. But Since you guys are from Asura, it shouldn't be hard to get a REMA DD or 2 and maybe even idris as long as you shout for it.

Anyways, whether a strategy works or not is completely subjective and depends on people and I'm not interested in arguing about it. Like I said, OP asked best strategy besides SMN, not best strategy besides smn and melee. I gave opinion based on experience making PUG. If you don't like it, don't use it. Why spend pages and hours arguing about it?
By Afania 2017-12-17 14:58:14
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
I shouted for some people and tried Yakshi with PLD WHM SMN (these were JPs) COR GEO (my chars) and a Nirvana SMN. I didn't plan to SMN burn but it was all I got from shouts. We got to 27% from 2x AC and then we died from there. The WHM and PLD were literally useless though, see no reason why we couldn't have straight tanked and finished it but the WHM ran in and died and then the tank died probably from Curse.

You need to figure out the problem before trying to solve it.
If you die because of meteor, fade will help.
If you die because of curse and canopierce, bring more bodies in range to split the damage.
Everyone should bring holy water for doom, if PUG refuse to bring them just buy it for them.

Post deleted by User.
 Hades.Ara
Server: Hades
user: Aramyth
By Hades.Ara 2017-12-18 14:00:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm confused about which content I should be doing as a fresh 99.

I've done some ambuscade and have a full set of 119 gear and unity NMS and a few things around Adoulin, but I feel very lost about how I should be progressing gear wise.

Post deleted by User.
By fillerbunny9 2017-12-18 18:59:40
Link | Quote | Reply

when dual wielding, does the Crit Hit Damage augment on Weapons augmented by Oseem only affect the weapon in question, or will it affect both the main and offhands equally?
By clearlyamule 2017-12-18 19:01:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't think anyone has tested them specifically but don't think we've ever run across a situation where crit dmg only effected the weapon it's on

Post deleted by User.
By fillerbunny9 2017-12-18 19:41:05
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »
Don't think anyone has tested them specifically but don't think we've ever run across a situation where crit dmg only effected the weapon it's on

well, I know Jupiter Staff's crit hit rate affected it only, didn't know if damage would go the same or different.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2017-12-18 20:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a way to filter geo bubble animations completely?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-12-18 20:29:21
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a single byte in a single packet, pretty simple to have an addon block all of it. First section blocks other players, second blocks yourself.
Code
ashita.register_event('incoming_packet', function(id, size, data)
    -- Look for player updates..
    if (id == 0x0D) then
        local packet = data:totable();
        if (packet[0x42 + 1] ~= 0) then
            packet[0x42 + 1] = 0;
            return packet;
        end
    end

-- Look for self updates..
    if (id == 0x37) then
        local packet = data:totable();
        if (packet[0x58 + 1] ~= 0) then
			packet[0x58 + 1] = 0;
			return packet;
		end
    end

return false;
end);

That's ashita, I'm sure windower is somewhat similar.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2017-12-19 00:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

fillerbunny9 said: »
clearlyamule said: »

well, I know Jupiter Staff's crit hit rate affected it only, didn't know if damage would go the same or different.

crit damage was always different
By Pantafernando 2017-12-19 01:32:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi.

Whats the most efficient method to get crafters point? Crafting the highest lv craft sets, spamming the highest set that can be T3 or somewhere in between?

Thanks in advance
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2017-12-19 02:24:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The most efficient is the one that has the cheapest, easiest to get mats.

Doesn't matter how good it is if you can't get the mats, or have to overpay.

It's going to matter based on which craft you chose, like the cooking one lvl 70 was the "best" choice. Good chance at HQ, easy/cheap mats. While also not being low enough to waste too many crystals.
[+]
By zaxtiss 2017-12-19 06:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

you should be able to turn them off under the config options iirc
By fonewear 2017-12-19 09:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »

Yes, that's why I suggest fade since you can't dispel geo bubbles.

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »

I've helped someone's RNG PUG because they "time out at 1%". That being said, their pt size was smaller than yours, only 1 RNG and 1 COR. So it's not that surprising to time out if COR can't DD.

If I am making a PUG, I would personally still go for melee for at least once and just bring holy water for doom. Then RNG if it doesn't work. Being one of the least popular job, Finding 1 well geared RNG in PUG community is painful enough, finding 3 is even harder.

PUG Blm is just no no for yakshi these days, IMO.

I already mentioned geo fade in previous post, that would help with the lack of DT set. Last time when I made Neak pt I only use DD+GEO with 4 trusts. GEO die at 70% to 60% because no(or bad) DT set. Although it was a rough fight, Neak was still killed with GEO staying dead pretty much entire time and useless.

If Neak can be killed with 2 people and one of them dead more than half the time, Im really having hard time believing a 6 man pt(assuming they meet the gear requirement) with additional layers of protection will be an issue, even if all 6 people are less experienced.

I have been making pt for years and I know exactly what it is like to PUG. Any PUG leader can just add some sort of gear check if gear quality is an issue. You can't have bayld gear players, obviously. But Since you guys are from Asura, it shouldn't be hard to get a REMA DD or 2 and maybe even idris as long as you shout for it.

Anyways, whether a strategy works or not is completely subjective and depends on people and I'm not interested in arguing about it. Like I said, OP asked best strategy besides SMN, not best strategy besides smn and melee. I gave opinion based on experience making PUG. If you don't like it, don't use it. Why spend pages and hours arguing about it?

Because that is what video game forums are for. These issues are of critical importance. If we can't find a way to beat content 1.2% faster all is lost.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-12-19 10:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The issues aren't of critical importance. That is why they are on a video game forum. But, apart from finding ways to improve our performance (clear the same, tired content faster), what do you recommend we discuss?
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2017-12-19 10:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
The issues aren't of critical importance. That is why they are on a video game forum. But, apart from finding ways to improve our performance (clear the same, tired content faster), what do you recommend we discuss?

MNK
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-12-19 10:23:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Subtle.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-12-19 10:49:08