First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Diabolos.Raelia
Server: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-04-13 13:09:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Galbir said: »
A drk thread really doesn't seem the place to compare Req to Cdc.

Though as far as the 2-3k Reqs: Poidh
Most people who talk about Req being crap are morons not using Ele Neck/Belt. That definitely sounds like Abyssea numbers though. 3k should be easy with Echoes to be honest.

Wroth Scythe has a decent place when DRK/MNK tanking in Abyssea, nigh 1k Crit-Counters with RR/GH/RL, and though Resolution meshes better with the STR from Roaring Laughter your WS rate is far too low for that to matter. It's hilarious to see an altep doll drop itself on its own back-to-back Double attacks.

Redemption can settle for level 1 aftermath and open a fight with sekka Quietus->Entropy for a decent self-darkness, but this is when we can start saying 'screw ODD' and do the same with a 99 WoE Scythe with a better 5-hit TP set and higher base damage unless you blow 1500 plates on DRK's lulziest 'ultimate weapon'.

So even if you're allergic to Resolution, Empy Scythe should be only the 4th or 5th choice.
 Cerberus.Detzu
Server: Cerberus
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-04-17 06:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Raelia said: »
Shiva.Galbir said: »
A drk thread really doesn't seem the place to compare Req to Cdc.

Though as far as the 2-3k Reqs: Poidh
Most people who talk about Req being crap are morons not using Ele Neck/Belt. That definitely sounds like Abyssea numbers though. 3k should be easy with Echoes to be honest.

Wroth Scythe has a decent place when DRK/MNK tanking in Abyssea, nigh 1k Crit-Counters with RR/GH/RL, and though Resolution meshes better with the STR from Roaring Laughter your WS rate is far too low for that to matter. It's hilarious to see an altep doll drop itself on its own back-to-back Double attacks.

Redemption can settle for level 1 aftermath and open a fight with sekka Quietus->Entropy for a decent self-darkness, but this is when we can start saying 'screw ODD' and do the same with a 99 WoE Scythe with a better 5-hit TP set and higher base damage unless you blow 1500 plates on DRK's lulziest 'ultimate weapon'.

So even if you're allergic to Resolution, Empy Scythe should be only the 4th or 5th choice.

I would say 3rd choice, and 5th choice if you're looking for ws dmg maybe?
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-04-17 12:22:15
Link | Quote | Reply

3rd choice if you 99'd it, otherwise no.

I used to rank WoE and Redemption pretty close, but with the addition of Entropy they're practically equal for sake of the damage loss just to activate ODD. I'm still not convinced that activating ODD on Redemption actually results in a net gain of damage! This is mostly because Quietus doesn't scale to 300TP like Torcleaver to make it a decent opening WS, not to mention Redemption's +Stats don't include INT.

WoE wears better TP phase gear, doesn't have to give two shits about Quietus except as a self-Darkness opener, and only costs about 20mil if you bought every item. Yes, time or gil investment is a factor to me as well.

Redemption's base damage does pick up pretty good at 99, but it's still a total waste of plates and cinder.

Apoc > 99 WoE ~= 99 Redemption > OAT ~= WSDmg/TPBonus (I forget which is better) > 2-4 ~= Wroth/Void/AH Scythe > 90 Redemption

Again, this is only if you're allergic to Resolution and not considering the utility aspects as well. Entropy gives you infinite MP, so if SE ever gets around to making Absorbs worth casting...
 Lakshmi.Rearden
Server: Lakshmi
user: Churchill
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2012-04-17 12:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

what...?
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-04-17 12:30:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rearden said: »
what...?
Quietus sucks so hard compared to a proper Entropy, ODD might not even be making up the difference.
 Lakshmi.Rearden
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2012-04-17 12:32:31
Link | Quote | Reply

50% ODD isn't worth using a WS for?
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-04-17 12:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm working on it right now actually. Because Entropy actually scales with TP it's definitely possible at 300tp and maybe even at 100tp.
 Lakshmi.Rearden
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2012-04-17 13:11:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't need to have it or not to know that a high base damage weapon in conjunction with 50% ODD and all of DRK's buffs is going to be awesome.

Considering you make the loss of damage of one WS up in one additional ODD hit, and you're going to be doing those 50% of your swings, yes it is worth it.
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-04-17 13:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

And here it is, kinda fast and dirty:

tl;dr: With 99 Redemption you lose 70% of your ODD just making up for using lolQuietus in any believable un-gimp situation.

And the TP:WS splits tell me this is still heavily in Quietus's favor. It does show me why Redemption/Caladbolg users think anything past a 40:60 split doesn't happen though. This is mostly because of 99 Red's massive base damage cutting back what a factor WSC normally is.

Yes, I do feel like I'm missing something. Even I think it can't be that pathetic, but then you look at the numbers:

1883 average Quietus
2668, 3194 average Entropy (100tp, 300tp)

These are perfectly in line with what I expect from either WS. Without the Attack bonus in play, Quietus is trashy as all hell. I don't know where you get this idea that 'one ODD hit' makes up for the difference in WS damage.
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-04-17 13:43:55
Link | Quote | Reply

And here it is, kinda fast and dirty:

tl;dr: With 99 Redemption you lose 70% of your ODD just making up for using lolQuietus in any believable un-gimp situation.

And the TP:WS splits tell me this is still heavily in Quietus's favor. It does show me why Redemption/Caladbolg users think anything past a 40:60 split doesn't happen though.

Yes, I do feel like I'm missing something. Even I think it can't be that pathetic, but then you look at the numbers:

1883 average Quietus
2668, 3194 average Entropy (100tp, 300tp)

These are perfectly in line with what I expect from either WS. Without the Attack bonus in play, Quietus is trashy as all hell. I don't know where you get this idea that 'one ODD hit' makes up for the difference in WS damage.

Quietus doesn't have att bonus but it has ignore def. So you have to put a lot of att DA STR and MND in your gears for it to be effective since it doesn't scale like torcleaver does.
The ODD occurs more often on scythe than GS, but ODD on calad spikes higher. You can boost your ODD buy using full bale+2 under certain conditions.
 Lakshmi.Rearden
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2012-04-17 13:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

ODD is ODD, it's based on STR/Attack/BaseD, it would be impossible for Cala to spike higher, though you could argue that Cala does more ODD purely based on it's delay and swing requirement for 100%TP.

One ODD critical is going to be over 1000dmg, two of those makes up for the loss in damage from Quietus to Entropy.

tl:dr not activating ODD=doing it wrong.
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-04-17 13:55:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Except you're demonstrating your lack of a clue, because this is with the top STR and MND pieces. 'Ignores Defense' is just an attack bonus, which as I've expounded viciously in the past is irrelevant on 99% of the content in the game if you're not gimp as hell.

The ODD is exactly the same on all Empy weapons. 30% for 30 seconds at 100tp, 40% for 60 seconds at 200tp, 50% for 90 seconds at 300tp. For that matter a Redemption isn't gonna be wearing practically any Bale+2 for sake of 5-hitting (which has become viable again with Hagneia/Houyi's instead of lolTactical). Please just... stop making crap up. Try reading and learning instead of making assumptions and believing whatever you like... Or continue believing whatever you like and just ignore everything I say.
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-04-17 13:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

ODD is ODD, it's based on STR/Attack/BaseD, it would be impossible for Cala to spike higher, though you could argue that Cala does more ODD purely based on it's delay and swing requirement for 100%TP.

One ODD critical is going to be over 1000dmg, two of those makes up for the loss in damage from Quietus to Entropy.

tl:dr not activating ODD=doing it wrong.

I may be wrong or doing something wrong but i noticed that calad ODD spiked to 1600 when spike on Redemp was at 1400 (outside abyss).
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-04-17 13:57:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Losing ~1k damage on 1 ws for 180 seconds of 50% ODD isn't worth it. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST FOLKS!
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-04-17 13:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Except without ODD it would have crit for 600+ anyway, so to quote you yourself: ODD is ODD. Whether it falls on a crit or whatever.

It's just a multiplier to whatever your TP phase is.

Bahamut.Serj said: »
Losing ~1k damage on 1 ws for 180 seconds of 50% ODD isn't worth it. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST FOLKS!
You did hear it here first, but tier 3 ODD only lasts 90 seconds, and you've actually lost 1k on three WSes or wasted a self-SC opportunity. Derp?
 Lakshmi.Santoro
user: Fukinder
By Lakshmi.Santoro 2012-04-17 14:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm with Rearden, you are cutting you DoT down considerably by not riding 300tp aftermath, but what do I know, I dont have a Maleficence +2.
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-04-17 14:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Santoro said: »
I dont have a Maleficence +2.
You're not with the cool kids on the server that doesn't exist either.

Your pettiness and ignorance is showing.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-04-17 14:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Detzu said: »
The ODD occurs more often on scythe than GS, but ODD on calad spikes higher. You can boost your ODD buy using full bale+2 under certain conditions.

I mean no insult and I am not trying to spark and argument but I have never heard of what you're referencing in the first sentence. I dissagree with any situation being a good idea to full bale+2.

I would have to say that I "sometimes" agree with Raelia. If I have a decent quantity of haste, AND the mob is going to last the full 90 seconds, I feel fully confident that ODD will make up 2k damage over 90 seconds. If I were pre-farming ADL (making up example) I would probably not use Quietus at all before ADL fight. During that fight I would use it at the start, and then not again until the next pop (since no wings in dynamis).

I haven't use redemption since finishing apoc though and haven't really done anything to show you any "testing". The above is just my opinion.

*edit* holy ***theres a lot of posts while i was typing lol
 Asura.Tigredor
Server: Asura
user: Tigredor
By Asura.Tigredor 2012-04-17 14:03:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quietus doesn't have att bonus but it has ignore def. So you have to put a lot of att DA STR and MND in your gears for it to be effective since it doesn't scale like torcleaver does.

Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-04-17 14:03:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Serj said: »
You did hear it here first, but tier 3 ODD only lasts 90 seconds, and you've actually lost 1k on three WSes or wasted a self-SC opportunity. Derp?

90 secs, my bad.

Starting at 300 tp is hard I guess (dusty wings). How do you ws 3 times with 300% tp? And how are you skill chaining at all in this game?

Considering you'd still probably need 2-4 hits to ws in vw depending on buffs, you're giving up a substantial boost to tp phase damage for 1 extra ws.

Edit: Also, /sam is worse than /war in maaaaaaaany situations now, so you shouldn't have sekkanoki.
 Asura.Tigredor
Server: Asura
user: Tigredor
By Asura.Tigredor 2012-04-17 14:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I may be wrong or doing something wrong but i noticed that calad ODD spiked to 1600 when spike on Redemp was at 1400 (outside abyss).

Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-04-17 14:10:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Except you're demonstrating your lack of a clue, because this is with the top STR and MND pieces. 'Ignores Defense' is just an attack bonus, which as I've expounded viciously in the past is irrelevant on 99% of the content in the game if you're not gimp as hell.

The ODD is exactly the same on all Empy weapons. 30% for 30 seconds at 100tp, 40% for 60 seconds at 200tp, 50% for 90 seconds at 300tp. For that matter a Redemption isn't gonna be wearing practically any Bale+2 for sake of 5-hitting (which has become viable again with Hagneia/Houyi's instead of lolTactical). Please just... stop making crap up. Try reading and learning instead of making assumptions and believing whatever you like... Or continue believing whatever you like and just ignore everything I say.

Well i'm not making assumption, i'm just sharing my thoughts based on experience. We were talking about ODD i was saying you can boost your ODD with full bale+2 for the ODD's sake.
Since you mathed everything i can't say you're wrong. I'd say you can correct me when i'm wrong but you don't need to be aggressive as hell. Come on we're just debating!!
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-04-17 14:15:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »

I mean no insult and I am not trying to spark and argument but I have never heard of what you're referencing in the first sentence. I dissagree with any situation being a good idea to full bale+2.

I would have to say that I "sometimes" agree with Raelia. If I have a decent quantity of haste, AND the mob is going to last the full 90 seconds, I feel fully confident that ODD will make up 2k damage over 90 seconds. If I were pre-farming ADL (making up example) I would probably not use Quietus at all before ADL fight. During that fight I would use it at the start, and then not again until the next pop (since no wings in dynamis).

I haven't use redemption since finishing apoc though and haven't really done anything to show you any "testing". The above is just my opinion.

*edit* holy ***theres a lot of posts while i was typing lol

Maybe i don't pay attention to the ODD under 1k (it's probably that after second thought lol).
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-04-17 14:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

The short version is that ODD shouldn't have to be making up for any loss in WS damage at all. Be it 72% if you drop a Tier 3 AF instead of Self-Darkness, 70% if you drop Tier 1 AF instead of using Entropy at 100tp, or even 25% if you're /WAR or /DRG and have no self-SC capability.

Entropy kills Quietus that hard that even the already slipping value of ODD to total damage on DRK is being affected.

As an aside to Serj, you should be getting your initial 300tp from Tac or Embrava, then popping your wing for Entropy+Darkness, but Voidwatch is not a situation for a lolRedemption DRK anyway. It makes me sick to think these moronic Empy-Only VW shouts would take a Redemption over OAT GS.

ODD has always a relatively pathetic portion of total damage on DRK, effective sure, but exactly as Detzu demonstrates people see 1k crits and just blow their load all over without considering the 40k damage (est.) that happened in between those occurrences making them a drop in the bucket overall.

/WAR vs /SAM is a completely different discussion, but one Rag DRK uses /WAR to beat an Ukko in parse and suddenly it's FotM I guess. If you can 6-hit Redemption on /WAR, fine, but /SAM 5-hit 502 is totally viable again with the STP NeoNyzul legs or even just Hagneia/Houyi's to dump Tactical.

Detzu, Tigredor's response mirrors my own. You were spewing unfounded inane crap with no basis in reality or even in line with common knowledge. I was trying to be nice and not just drop an image macro, but his certainly sums it up.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-04-17 14:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The short version is that ODD shouldn't have to be making up for any loss in WS damage at all. Be it 72% if you drop a Tier 3 AF instead of Self-Darkness, 70% if you drop Tier 1 AF instead of using Entropy at 100tp, or even 25% if you're /WAR or /DRG and have no self-SC capability. Entropy kills Quietus that hard that even the already slipping value of ODD to total damage on DRK is being affected. As an aside to Serj, you should be getting your initial 300tp from Tac or Embrava, then popping your wing for Entropy+Darkness, but Voidwatch is not a situation for a lolRedemption DRK anyway. It makes me sick to think these moronic Empy-Only VW shouts would take a Redemption over OAT GS. ODD has always a relatively pathetic portion of total damage on DRK, effective sure, but exactly as Detzu demonstrates people see 1k crits and just blow their load all over without considering the 40k damage (est.) that happened in between those occurrences making them a drop in the bucket overall. /WAR vs /SAM is a completely different discussion, but one Rag DRK uses /WAR to beat an Ukko in parse and suddenly it's FotM I guess. If you can 6-hit Redemption on /WAR, fine, but /SAM 5-hit 502 is totally viable again with the STP NeoNyzul legs or even just Hagneia/Houyi's to dump Tactical.

This is an entirely different story and now you're comparing apples to oranges. I still feel me vs. doppelganger Ash (mr. goodie two-shoes) with one doing quietus at start and one not, the ODD comes out ahead.
 Bismarck.Sylow
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-04-17 14:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

So I'm guessing our mathematical justification for using scythe in the first place is that they ... look cool?
[+]
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-04-17 14:35:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
This is an entirely different story and now you're comparing apples to oranges. I still feel me vs. doppelganger Ash (mr. goodie two-shoes) with one doing quietus at start and one not, the ODD comes out ahead.
You do come out ahead with ODD, but not by anywhere near the factor you might imagine. ODD's contribution drops to about 6% of total damage instead of 20%.

So really, it's not a matter of ODD being not worth using, it's Redemption not being worth using because the gain from ODD is totally neutered versus just spamming Entropy.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-04-17 14:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Sylow said: »
So I'm guessing our mathematical justification for using scythe in the first place is that they ... look cool?

So really, it's not a matter of ODD being not worth using, it's Redemption not being worth using because the gain from ODD is totally neutered versus just spamming Entropy.

I'm ok with that.
 Cerberus.Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-04-17 14:47:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The short version is that ODD shouldn't have to be making up for any loss in WS damage at all. Be it 72% if you drop a Tier 3 AF instead of Self-Darkness, 70% if you drop Tier 1 AF instead of using Entropy at 100tp, or even 25% if you're /WAR or /DRG and have no self-SC capability.

Entropy kills Quietus that hard that even the already slipping value of ODD to total damage on DRK is being affected.

As an aside to Serj, you should be getting your initial 300tp from Tac or Embrava, then popping your wing for Entropy+Darkness, but Voidwatch is not a situation for a lolRedemption DRK anyway. It makes me sick to think these moronic Empy-Only VW shouts would take a Redemption over OAT GS.

ODD has always a relatively pathetic portion of total damage on DRK, effective sure, but exactly as Detzu demonstrates people see 1k crits and just blow their load all over without considering the 40k damage (est.) that happened in between those occurrences making them a drop in the bucket overall.

/WAR vs /SAM is a completely different discussion, but one Rag DRK uses /WAR to beat an Ukko in parse and suddenly it's FotM I guess. If you can 6-hit Redemption on /WAR, fine, but /SAM 5-hit 502 is totally viable again with the STP NeoNyzul legs or even just Hagneia/Houyi's to dump Tactical.

Detzu, Tigredor's response mirrors my own. You were spewing unfounded inane crap with no basis in reality or even in line with common knowledge. I was trying to be nice and not just drop an image macro, but his certainly sums it up.

You win. Happy?