The Last Dance: Gearing Paradigms for a New Age
First Page 2 3 ... 82 83 84 ... 117 118 119
 Ragnarok.Grimkitty
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Grimkitty 2012-11-20 00:28:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Hohenheim said: »
doesnt the whole dagger take 40 geodes? 15 + 25? or am i mistaken?
nope, the dagger takes 55 Flame Geodes, then 15 Ifirites
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2012-11-20 00:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

oh, lame. i need 40 more then, 2.4mil /wrist. im so cheap.
 Sylph.Peldin
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Peldin 2012-11-20 02:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If you dual wield Coruscanti + Lux, maybe try out Evisceration instead of Exenterator. Probably get some good numbers with that dagger combo.

And no, I'm not advocating that it's a better combo. Inb4 you guys start herping before you derp.

Come to think of it, I've been wondering if I'm "doing it right" as I farm dynamis on my dnc/thf.
I've been using Wild Flourish -> Exenterator -> Scission whenever I proc a mob and WF is up. Should I be using Climactic or perhaps Reverse if I have the finishing moves? (Assuming I got a Box Step proc right away)
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2012-11-20 07:04:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Peldin said: »
If you dual wield Coruscanti + Lux, maybe try out Evisceration instead of Exenterator. Probably get some good numbers with that dagger combo.

And no, I'm not advocating that it's a better combo. Inb4 you guys start herping before you derp.

Come to think of it, I've been wondering if I'm "doing it right" as I farm dynamis on my dnc/thf.
I've been using Wild Flourish -> Exenterator -> Scission whenever I proc a mob and WF is up. Should I be using Climactic or perhaps Reverse if I have the finishing moves? (Assuming I got a Box Step proc right away)

Only time I ever use wild flourish is if i want an extra JA proc chance and the mob is hurt enough that 1 weaponskill would mostly finish it off *when you get the random stubborn 'dont wanna proc' mobs.
Most of the time i'm sitting on 5 finishing moves and not using wild flourish so i can use reverse and self darkness to kill something off when it procs.

The other thing to keep in mind is that using wild flourish locks you out of not only the option to reverse flourish for a self SC, but you sacrifice the defensive option to use your current tp on a ws->reverse->waltz V if you are in a situation where you might take burst damage from tanking multiple mobs/casters or need to heal a duo partner.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-11-20 07:08:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Wild Flourish a lot against gears in SSR. I find that Wild -> WS will one-shot them. Typically I Wild the gear(s) and Reverse the Ramparts, Chariots, Fomor, and Imps.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-11-20 16:41:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Dancer's Casaque +1, get! Now I have AF1 head/body/feet +1! Extra defense, yo!

Now Khepri Jacket, Tessera Saio, Myrmex Mittens, and Khepri Kecks are the only upgrades I can make for Dancer. I am not very optimistic that I'll be obtaining any of those pieces any time soon, but I'm quasi-trying for at least 3 of them. I have the easy half of the Khepri pieces (the abjuration), at least.

* My mule is Clothcraft 100/leather 68 right now NQing Kecks whenever I feel like wasting gil.

* Sometimes I make Seductive Radiance spamming runs. It's like a Prov run, but I just do Seductive Radiance about 9 times instead. ~2 people per set of runs get Myrmex Mittens, so you have to figure the drop rate is about 1~2% (comparable to Ganesha's Mala/Phasmida Belt/Lux Pugio).

* I join Provenance Watcher runs once in a while. They tend to be quite painful and I'm not sure that Tessera Saio is actually that good for me given that I don't really use Exenterator anymore. I'd still like it, though, at least for Aeolian Edge, and this gives me a way to do Seductive Radiance that doesn't involve setting up a run.
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
Server: Carbuncle
user: Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2012-11-23 00:43:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sapphire said: »
Sylph.Peldin said: »

Only time I ever use wild flourish is if i want an extra JA proc chance and the mob is hurt enough that 1 weaponskill would mostly finish it off *when you get the random stubborn 'dont wanna proc' mobs.
Most of the time i'm sitting on 5 finishing moves and not using wild flourish so i can use reverse and self darkness to kill something off when it procs.

The other thing to keep in mind is that using wild flourish locks you out of not only the option to reverse flourish for a self SC, but you sacrifice the defensive option to use your current tp on a ws->reverse->waltz V if you are in a situation where you might take burst damage from tanking multiple mobs/casters or need to heal a duo partner.

Although reversing for the tp to make darkness will produce more dmg, I dont usually feel like its needed if you're fighting ep's *i dont fight casters as dnc, i stick to farming routes*. If i proc a mob on first or second ja, i find Wild > Exenterator to be an easy ~1 shot. If SA is added, its basically an overkill & uses less fm's. Also while on ep's, id say its rare for me to run to a lot of situations where i would have to flourish tp to cure. At most *if i get aggro by 3-4 mobs*, i simply pop drain samba & leave saber up. By the time they're all about dead, saber will be back up so i drop it > waltz IV > right back up.

If youre duo on dc's, I doubt you'll need to self sc that way a lot but it could be useful there occasionally.

Then again, not like i could self-sc darkness if i wanted to sitting on Corus/STR thokcha, so im just talking off of what ive seen.
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
Server: Carbuncle
user: Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2012-11-23 00:46:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Dancer's Casaque +1, get! Now I have AF1 head/body/feet +1! Extra defense, yo!

Now Khepri Jacket, Tessera Saio, Myrmex Mittens, and Khepri Kecks are the only upgrades I can make for Dancer. I am not very optimistic that I'll be obtaining any of those pieces any time soon, but I'm quasi-trying for at least 3 of them. I have the easy half of the Khepri pieces (the abjuration), at least.

* My mule is Clothcraft 100/leather 68 right now NQing Kecks whenever I feel like wasting gil.

* Sometimes I make Seductive Radiance spamming runs. It's like a Prov run, but I just do Seductive Radiance about 9 times instead. ~2 people per set of runs get Myrmex Mittens, so you have to figure the drop rate is about 1~2% (comparable to Ganesha's Mala/Phasmida Belt/Lux Pugio).

* I join Provenance Watcher runs once in a while. They tend to be quite painful and I'm not sure that Tessera Saio is actually that good for me given that I don't really use Exenterator anymore. I'd still like it, though, at least for Aeolian Edge, and this gives me a way to do Seductive Radiance that doesn't involve setting up a run.

congrats. I use to have to make those seductive runs to get my mittens as well *even though i actually got them from a PU group for prov*. The pain of watching all those ppl walk away with them...hurt. I really should get to work on getting morre of my dancer af :(. Good luck though
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [40 days between previous and next post]
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2013-01-01 19:31:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Since I have nothing better to do while SE is being slow at restoring my account, I was playing with the DPS spreadsheets and the new salvage gear.

This is the best set I could come up with for my dagger combination.
(Assuming body has 10% DW, did not factor in set bonus, on Dynamis DC, not capped magic haste)

I was a little surprised by the feet (it is a lot of STP), and if the body doesn't have 10%, then back to Charis.

Does anyone have any ideas for improvement?

Edit: Necrobump? I am disappointed in the DNC community.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-01-01 19:42:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Set Bonus is likely +3% per piece. I'm surprised that the head could beat out other options (like Nematoma) without the set bonus.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-01-01 19:43:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting, I didn't get that same result.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-01-01 19:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Set Bonus is likely +3% per piece. I'm surprised that the head could beat out other options (like Nematoma) without the set bonus.

Well, with Boost-STR and a STR Thokcha I'm generally fSTR capped on most things I fight (including Salvage Bosses and likely Meeble Bosses) without the head slot.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-01-01 19:51:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Needs more Derpsichore.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-01-01 19:53:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Needs more Derpsichore.

Indeed, that's actually an inherent problem with Terpsichore, you only get stats from one dagger.

That aside, without Thokcha, I'm still at 133 STR in my TP set, so I'm still fSTR capped on anything with less than or equal to 106 VIT with Boost.
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2013-01-01 19:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

The extra haste helps because Patentia means uncapped. Nemetona comes really close though.

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Interesting, I didn't get that same result.
Would you mind posting your set? Hard to compare with nothing.

(Terpsichore probably uses a different set due to the delay difference.)
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-01-01 20:14:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually I get roughly the same result provided fSTR is capped (didn't do it for Derpsichore, I want some things in my life to be a surprise).
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-01-02 04:16:26
Link | Quote | Reply

In fact, I get Thoraeon's set to come out to be superior almost regardless of subjob, food, except for the case where:

dDEX is capped
fSTR is way uncapped (after boost-str or no access)

I really hope Skadi body is +10 because Skadi Gear looks terrible with our dress.
[+]
By Solrain 2013-01-02 04:42:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Pssh, you look amazing. Shut up.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-01-03 09:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Terpsichore has finally pulled clearly ahead as our best option. Against an enemy modeled after Neo-Salvage bosses (LV104, VIT104, AGI104, DEF450, EVA460) AM3 Derp is ~20% ahead of Twashtar/Thokcha and about 15% ahead of Twashtar/Pugiunclus.

Against more tame enemies (Dynamis DC Nightmare), it's about 25% ahead. It pulls further ahead because Twashtar's "advantage" of getting stat boosts from two daggers matters less.

I originally thought our TP sets would vary by subjob, boost-spell, but that's not the case. It ends up being simple, and it more or less doesn't matter what the set bonus on Skadi+1 is, at best eliminating the set bonus puts a few pieces even with other pieces (mostly referring to Thaumas Kecks vs. Skadi's Chausses +1 for a Terpsichore set).

We also don't bother with Etoile Tights +2 anymore, they had a good run though.

Terpsichore (AM3):

Twashtar:

If Terpsichore doesn't have AM3 up you can basically pretend it's a Twashtar/Thokcha set and use Atheling instead of Rancorous. Byrth may have additional input that I may have overlooked.

Charis Feather is now a viable option for the ammo slot since our critical hit rate has gone up. Versus high AGI enemies it'll win outright, but it's not really reasonable to expect when you will/won't benefit from it, so I'd disregard it as an option in favor of its close competitor that's better most of the time.

I haven't really bothered to look at March sets and New-Embrava sets. I'll get around to it.

I guess one cool thing about a 21% haste set is that you can benefit from the Haste boon in Meeble Burrows / Valiant Atmacite?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-01-03 09:40:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, obviously if Skadi body +1 is 10% then that beats AF3+2.

Two things are not immediately evident from the Terpsichore vs. Twashtar sets:
1) The benefit of the huge average TP gain/round you get from AM3. With double marches/haste, you can easily self-skillchain without Reverse Flourish (especially, I imagine, with all the STP in those sets). Last night I was using /SAM (roughly equivalent to the 16 extra STP in those sets) and skillchained consistently. Evisceration -> Pyrrhic Kleos for darkness every ~15 seconds. I made it to the final floor of Arrapago Remnants II with 40 minutes to spare DNC+WHM+BRD and got the worst starting chest that I've had so far (double main weapon, double JA, CHR x2).
2) Saber Dance matters less for Terpsichore/Twashtar than Twashtar/Thokcha because its effects on Terpsichore are minimal at best. If you are /WAR, Saber Dance represents something like +2% attacks/round on Terpsichore and +8% attacks per round on Twashtar.

What buffs were you using for this?
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-01-03 09:48:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Haste, Boost, Saber Dance, Haste Samba. I did it for /WAR and for /SAM although I prefer to be /SAM most of the time. The difference between Saber Dance and non-Saber Dance on AM3 Terpsichore was ~8%, so it's worth having up, but non-Saber AM3 Terpsichore is still ahead of Twashtar/Thokcha.

Removing Boost doesn't change any of the gear choices but it does make Thaumas and Skadi+1 potentially even if fSTR is uncapped and the critical hit rate bonus per piece is only 1%.

And yeah, the %s I shot out there ignore potential skillchaining. I don't personally have Marches very often because I don't roll with a BRD.

I was skeptical about the Patentia Sash sets at first, but it works out that you hit faster and get more TP per round. Makes me reminisce of all the laughing we did about Sira and his Nusku's!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-01-03 11:50:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylow and I got together on guildwork and successfully made our computers give us the same results for ideal PK/Magic haste cap sets:

Ideal PK set:

Ideal Magic Haste cap set:
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-01-03 11:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm picturing you two with your computers in a playpen.

NOW YOU TWO PLAY NICE>.>
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-01-03 11:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ideal PK set:

Seems Epona's comes out ahead of Pyrosoul for Humes, which works for me because it means I don't need to buy Pyrosoul rings.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-01-04 07:03:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Exenterator
(Same for Derpsichore and Twashtar/Pugiunclus)
*Houyi's Gorget for Twashtar/Thokcha if Boost-STR active.

Versus both Dynamis DC and LV104 Salvage Boss, 12% defense down.

Note: For Twashtar and non-AM3 Terpsichore, Stormsoul x2 resuts in slightly higher average damage for the WS, but lower overall DPS due to occasionally knocking a round off your glissade to 100TP. For Terpsichore AM3, is better.
 Valefor.Sapphire
By Valefor.Sapphire 2013-01-04 07:35:13
Link | Quote | Reply

wait a sec,

So you guys are saying with new gearsets maining terpsi beats 99 twashtar *and* you don't need to use exenterator instead of PK for best ws damage? So PK is no longer just to activate AM3?

So a terpsi dnc just does AM3 then evisc->PK to self chain while riding aftermath for best damage?

I remember seeing a vid of byrth using terpsi and all he was doing was spamming exenterator, i'm confused >.>
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-01-04 07:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Pyrrhic Kleos actually beats Exenterator, for Terpsichore 99, yes. In my opinion, Exenterator is still worth having around for the almost free 20 "evasion." But I don't play other jobs!
 Valefor.Sapphire
By Valefor.Sapphire 2013-01-04 07:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

My main reasons for not making a terpsi suddenly disappeared /mindblown

So offhanding twashtar is still relevant because of damage/delay and lots of dex for capping ddex over using a offhand str thockcha?
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-01-04 07:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep!

As far as Terpsichore offhands go:

Twashtar (99) > Twashtar (95) > Twashtar (90) > Pugiunclus > Fire Thokcha
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-01-04 07:55:24
Link | Quote | Reply

What is it about the new gear that benefits the Terpsichore so much more than the Twash? I kinda wondering if this has an effect on any of the other 1H mythics, particularly Vajra, since they're also on Skadi+1 and Mandalic Stab isn't total crap.
First Page 2 3 ... 82 83 84 ... 117 118 119