Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Cor in VW
Cor in VW
First Page 2 3
 Sylph.Agentblade
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Agentblade 2011-10-08 13:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Im just looking for some info on Cor's role in VW. Such as what subs, rolls and gear is optimal for best performance. I have been thinking of taking up VW and would like some info from people who rock Cor in that event. Any info would be great for me and possibly other Cor's looking to take part in VW.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-10-08 13:11:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd also like to know, been thinking about taking up cor.
 Siren.Seiri
user: seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2011-10-08 13:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey kali!

Usually either /rdm or /nin for survivability and some procs for subjob. /rng if you need to shoot for tp, or another sub if needed for proc - your sub is a ***-out slot, do whats needed at the time.

You'll usually be in a proc DD/mage party, so regain/refresh rolls are full time - af3+2 body being a big piece. Marksmanship WSs, cor JAs, some dagger/sword procs and the like. Also with armageddon you can pull some nice damage with regain/QD tp'ing.

Basically support/DD hybrid role with some procs.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-10-08 13:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

heya <3

Alright! I'm not even ready to level it yet, but I'd like to. Thanks for the info Seiri
 Siren.Seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2011-10-08 13:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
heya <3

Alright! I'm not even ready to level it yet, but I'd like to. Thanks for the info Seiri

Np np. Its great for lowman when you dont want you're DDs meleeing for tp, or low on blms so refresh is useful.
 Sylph.Agentblade
By Sylph.Agentblade 2011-10-08 13:31:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the info Seiri. /cheers. I figured regain/refresh rolls would be up full time. As for procs im guessing a cor should be fully equipt and rdy (weapons and skills wise). I was curiuos as for subs since i have /rdm /sam /rng and /nin at the rdy as well as Armageddon.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-10-08 13:40:46
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're in a party with mages onry there's no need to fulltime refresh. Give them what they need and keep regain/mab on you.
/rng is laughable and unless utsu is so vital for you, rdm and sam should always be the only otpions to look at.
[+]
 Odin.Valdor
Server: Odin
user: Valdor
By Odin.Valdor 2011-10-08 13:42:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I usually sub /rdm for the extra MBD and equip a dagger for trigger. Roll wise it's regain & save TP roll. Miser's roll combined with a lvl 10 Atmacite of Discipline from Voidwrought is a powerful combination. TP return on a WF is 65 TP. 1 QD and i'm back at 100TP. I cast refresh occsionally to help out the mage in the PT.

As for damage for WF average is 1500 unless the NM has some form of resistance to damage. A Corsair with a SCH and 4 DD's is a powerful PT. Aslong as your DD's are using temp items to help regain MP for the SCH, shouldn't need to use refresh roll that often.
 Sylph.Agentblade
By Sylph.Agentblade 2011-10-08 13:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

For the most part im usually /rdm or /sam with everything i do. Good to hear its roughly the same for VW. As for gear, is there anything else that is vital besides af3+2 body? Such as Movement speed+, relic head/body and store tp?
 Odin.Valdor
By Odin.Valdor 2011-10-08 13:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't TP in MAB gear. Bring ranged accuracy & attack gear with sushi. A lot of the NM's in VW are highly evasive.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-10-08 13:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

As in general? A mirke with a QD build is one of the hottest things a cor can lay hands on. That and +2 feet.
 Sylph.Agentblade
By Sylph.Agentblade 2011-10-08 13:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Valdor said: »
Don't TP in MAB gear. Bring ranged accuracy & attack gear with sushi. A lot of the NM's in VW are highly evasive.
KK good to know. I have been working on a racc/ratt tp set, I also have a tp set i use for melee when needed.
 Sylph.Agentblade
By Sylph.Agentblade 2011-10-08 14:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
As in general? A mirke with a QD build is one of the hottest things a cor can lay hands on. That and +2 feet.
Got both of those, only lacking Movement speed since I dont have Wlegs and need 25 piece to finish skadi feet. Looks like its not a must have for VW anyway.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2011-10-08 15:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Agentblade said: »
Im just looking for some info on Cor's role in VW. Such as what subs, rolls and gear is optimal for best performance. I have been thinking of taking up VW and would like some info from people who rock Cor in that event. Any info would be great for me and possibly other Cor's looking to take part in VW.

When I do VW at lv 90 I usually just stand there and roll most of the time, and help raise/-na/erase if needed depending on which NM, gain TP with QD+regain, then WS when got proc for blitz. Everytime when I WS when no proc ppl complained about NM dying too fast and need to cap lights first, so I rarely DD(only WS for blitz) and mostly do support move.

At lv 90 cap I usually /RDM or /WHM, RDM has boost QD/WF dmg, which is good for blitz zerg, and back up raise if necessary. /WHM is for magic def and erase against NMs like worm that often reset hate and got drawn in + bind. It seems to work very well in a pt with less ppl(like 6~7 ppl pt). Also good to help spam cursna and erase if pt size not big enough.

Now it's lv cap 95, I suppose /SCH can be a combination of both, you got the support spells, and you can boost WF/QD dmg. I haven't try it yet since I haven't play since lv 95 update, but it sounds very useful to me.

I rarely /SAM in VW(Although I still use this SJ a lot in other situations especially zerging), if I do that means it's easier NM or pt already big enough so I can focus on DD side a bit more. Otherwise I feel it's safer to /mage. If I only WS once a while during proc but not full time shooting, I doubt this SJ can deal more dmg than /RDM or /SCH anyways. I suppose this SJ can help you proc faster, but it's rarely my proc, so I'm not a big fan of /SAM in VW.

As for rolls if you're in DD pt regain+misers should be the best when you only focus on dmg IMO.

I rarely shoot in Voidwatch, one of the reason is because I can contribute in a pt without shooting, with so many rolls that help TP gain, and QD STP set, during the down time I can roll more and aim for No.11 to start a No.11 chain, or just cast magic. Second reason is it's hard to cap racc in voidwatch against higher eva mobs, and sacrifice the benefit of /mage or /SAM for /RNG(this SJ offers nothing but racc, no support move, no survive-ability) is a waste. Bringing 5+ racc gear when my inv is usually full is also a waste of inv. Third reason is because shooting DPS is too low on this job, and cost way more than other ways to DD. For me shooting is just a way to gain TP with vulcan's staff so I can WS, and since I can gain TP(in fact, sitting at 300% TP most of the time while waiting for proc) without shooting then no need to waste money on that.

I think /RNG and /NIN are 2 SJ I almost never use since Abyssea era, Voidwatch or not. I /NIN once a while if I really, really need shadows, but for a job that can deal dmg from far away with low enmity WS, there's really not much point. Also no point to /RNG for a job that mostly deal magical dmg and able to gain TP without TPing on the mob.
 Sylph.Agentblade
By Sylph.Agentblade 2011-10-08 15:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Afania, tbh i was waiting for your post since you have helped me out a few times prior on QD set, LS and your sets are a bench mark that most cors should view. In most situations Cor should be versitile on what the job brings to the table. I understand that it always depends on mobs, party set up, and now procs for which a Cor should be aware of their role in VW. Looks like i should finish my whm spells 37+ to be ready to /whm it if need be.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-10-08 16:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

/SCH and /SAM will be your best bets. I have to make a fire obe to make use of /SCH so I usually just go /SAM for more STP, Sekkanoki and med.
 Siren.Seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2011-10-08 16:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

About /sam, i'll be honest here. The time when a cor shines most is in lowman. If you want a DD, rng will always beat cor, and im saying that as a main cor. /sam only offers bonuses to DD potential, whereas other subs can offer greater proc potential - great for lowman - or assistance to surviving and helping healing - again a lowman thing.

/sch is a good option to replace /rdm.

As i said, lowman is where cor shines, and lowman you WONT be there as a main DD unless your group is seriously lacking. You will be support, hence /sam is a weak link option. Any sub that can increase your proc potential or support ability will beat /sam. I am, of course, assuming your group can actually kill the NM. If they cant, then you have priorities above 'oh, how to we prioritise cor for this event?'.
 Sylph.Agentblade
By Sylph.Agentblade 2011-10-08 16:53:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said: »
/SCH and /SAM will be your best bets. I have to make a fire obe to make use of /SCH so I usually just go /SAM for more STP, Sekkanoki and med.
I need to make a fire obi aswell and finish my sch.
 Sylph.Agentblade
By Sylph.Agentblade 2011-10-08 16:59:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Seiri said: »
About /sam, i'll be honest here. The time when a cor shines most is in lowman. If you want a DD, rng will always beat cor, and im saying that as a main cor. /sam only offers bonuses to DD potential, whereas other subs can offer greater proc potential - great for lowman - or assistance to surviving and helping healing - again a lowman thing.

/sch is a good option to replace /rdm.

As i said, lowman is where cor shines, and lowman you WONT be there as a main DD unless your group is seriously lacking. You will be support, hence /sam is a weak link option. Any sub that can increase your proc potential or support ability will beat /sam. I am, of course, assuming your group can actually kill the NM. If they cant, then you have priorities above 'oh, how to we prioritise cor for this event?'.
Well tbh im not in a VW shell yet, I havent even starting looking on my server for one. Atleast now i know what to expect when i find one, wether it be lowman or full group runs. Im happy that i have everything to offer except /sch atm and missing a few /whm debuffs.
 Leviathan.Agetos
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Agetos 2011-10-08 21:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah i'd say keeping the mages with refresh or making sure the dd's have Regain so they can run in and ws instead of having them all tp on it and make mobs pissed of is a good roll. But if they have that hint KI they can QuickDraw from a distance and figure out ws hints or ja hints and QD gives mobs no tp so it works x2 as well

Edit: Also with Wizard's roll V with a very good mab/agi set i was doing about 2.2k avg against San'Doria T4 Hahava consistently with Wildfire.
By Starkzz 2011-10-08 21:32:26
Link | Quote | Reply

COR is amazing on Pil, you will struggle to win without one atleast
 Odin.Valdor
By Odin.Valdor 2011-10-09 00:31:15
Link | Quote | Reply

As stated before whichever sub lets u get most triggers helps. Which is why /whm & /sch is a waste. /rdm gets you dagger WS and you get MaB bonus. /nin is great for shadow trigger, but it's a lot of work if you're rolling and QDing. /rng & /sam isn't bad either for the extra damage output.

Anyone get the insane bullet and try to shoot it yet? Lol.
 Fenrir.Niniann
Server: Fenrir
user: Ninian
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-10-09 00:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Starkzz said: »

It's not really bad without one, you just have to be smart about your procs so you can tear off the shield. ;x
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-10-09 00:46:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Sort of on the subject of this thread, it really confuses me; why do I see so many CORs only using 2 or 3 rolls? Tactician, Miser, Evoker, and Wizard all seem like common sense buffs if you're in a standard DD party; why stop at refresh and tactician's? Surely there's no other reason than laziness?
[+]
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-10-09 00:58:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niniann said: »

It's not really bad without one, you just have to be smart about your procs so you can tear off the shield. ;x

I'm not terribly familiar with the fight but 1000 damage tears off the shield right? and Twilight Scythe dark knight can deal damage anytime no?
 Sylph.Gobbo
user: Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2011-10-09 01:06:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Systematicchaos said: »
I'm not terribly familiar with the fight but 1000 damage tears off the shield right? and Twilight Scythe dark knight can deal damage anytime no?

Yeah pretty much, when he throws up the shield he'll be immune to all but 1 type of damage like Jailer of Temperance. Twilight Scythe and Quick Draw just ignore it.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-10-09 01:08:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Systematicchaos said: »
Fenrir.Niniann said: »

Correct. Procing also removes the shield, so saving procs is advisable. It's completely possible to kill him with neither Twilight Scythe nor Quick Draw if you're lacking in job spread, we've done it several times and didn't know about the one form of damage still working unti later.
 Leviathan.Agetos
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Agetos 2011-10-09 16:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

What about Wildfire damage? It's already been said that It can go through a Paladin's Invincible status, could it also go through the shield?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2011-10-09 16:30:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Wildfire doesn't ignore the shield.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2011-10-09 17:56:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Valdor said: »
As stated before whichever sub lets u get most triggers helps. Which is why /whm & /sch is a waste. /rdm gets you dagger WS and you get MaB bonus. /nin is great for shadow trigger, but it's a lot of work if you're rolling and QDing. /rng & /sam isn't bad either for the extra damage output.

Anyone get the insane bullet and try to shoot it yet? Lol.

Just checked wiki, /WAR seems to gives a lot of extra WS as well if you're aiming for lots of WS proc (4 more sword WS and 1 more dagger WS)
First Page 2 3