Let's Talk Fishing!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Fishing » Let's Talk Fishing!
Let's Talk Fishing!
First Page 2 3 ... 32 33 34 ... 112 113 114
 Cerberus.Kaht
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2012-01-12 12:51:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Rosalee said: »
Grr guild points are wrong again with the new pattern.

Veteran points today are black eels. 576 points each, 6.8 for max points (3920.)

Aaaaand off to Zeruhn Mines I go~

Quick question though: does the fisherman's belt have to remain equipped in order to keep support given by it on? It'd suck having to give up my Angler's Discernment bonus from my fisher's rope for that.

Did you submit the correction on the New/Updated Guild Item Report section at the bottom of the page?
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2012-01-12 15:05:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Reading through a few pages on here from time-to-time, you guys are really gonna hate me XD

1/7 on Saber Shoot and 1/< 50 on Opal Silk, aaaaaaand they were freebies from my brother because he didn't need them/couldn't sell them ^^/

Now I just need to skill up (gogo 25 more levels!), finish my cooking GP and start my fishing GP >_>;
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-12 15:07:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Grats!

/jealous
 Carbuncle.Snoochybooch
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Snoochybooch 2012-01-12 15:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Very jealous.

I'm at 0/805 on sabor shoot.

Congrats!!!
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2012-01-12 15:15:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Haha, danke! :D

Now I'm just trying to find something good to skill on, I was doing Tavnazian Goby's (75) in Lufaise with Halcyon and a Minnow but I had like 30-40% bite rate and like 20-25% catch rate ><

Considering getting a Lu shangs, but there's never any on the AH when I can get on - and I don't like the idea of dropping 3.3~3.5m on a rod I won't need in 20 levels >_>;
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-12 15:17:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said: »
Haha, danke! :D

Now I'm just trying to find something good to skill on, I was doing Tavnazian Goby's (75) in Lufaise with Halcyon and a Minnow but I had like 30-40% bite rate and like 20-25% catch rate ><

Considering getting a Lu shangs, but there's never any on the AH when I can get on - and I don't like the idea of dropping 3.3~3.5m on a rod I won't need in 20 levels >_>;
ew, goby's suck :(

And yea, you'll probably like the difference more anyways for when you change from halcyon all the way to ebisu.
 Leviathan.Crytone
Server: Leviathan
user: Crytone
By Leviathan.Crytone 2012-01-12 15:18:19
Link | Quote | Reply

All comes down to luck. LS mate went 1/16 on Silk and 1/31 on Shoot recently. The FFXI system is what it is and I've accepted that so no hate from me, just congratulations!

On another note, has anyone ever fished well above their 200 fish cap? I've seen the odd run where I'll get 210ish but yesterday I ended up catching close to 300 fish total and wasn't capped yet. Quit because I was tired as hell and my internet died. Why did this happen? Freak occurrence is what I think but could it be because I was releasing fish near the end? I figured I was getting close to cap when I had 200ish so just kept catching/releasing to get skill until capped.
 Carbuncle.Snoochybooch
By Carbuncle.Snoochybooch 2012-01-12 15:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Fishing Levels: 53-86
Area: Nashmau
Bait: Shrimp Lure
Additional Location: Tallaca Cave, W exit of Nashmau through Caederva Mire near Einherjar entrance.
Notes: A friend prefers Tallaca Cave, the difference is in Tallaca you will also fish up Dil's which you will not in Nashmau. NPC rates seem to vary on these from about 600g on Mercs to 700gish on Ahtapots. Mercs are the Eastern equivalent of Bastore Breams and Ahtapots are the Eastern equivalents of Grimmonites. Dil's npc for almost 800g each and are the eastern version of black sole which cap at 96.

Just from a generic guide
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-12 15:20:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Crytone said: »
All comes down to luck. LS mate went 1/16 on Silk and 1/31 on Shoot recently. The FFXI system is what it is and I've accepted that so no hate from me, just congratulations!

On another note, has anyone ever fished well above their 200 fish cap? I've seen the odd run where I'll get 210ish but yesterday I ended up catching close to 300 fish total and wasn't capped yet. Quit because I was tired as hell and my internet died. Why did this happen? Freak occurrence is what I think but could it be because I was releasing fish near the end? I figured I was getting close to cap when I had 200ish so just kept catching/releasing to get skill until capped.
If you have ebisu, then you can go up to 215.

Now, if you don't, then the only thing I can think of is you are fishing fish with a sabiki or w/e and catching multiple fish at once. Fish count counts by ID, and having 2 fish on the line counts as 1 fish. Same goes with 3 fish on the line.

If it isn't that...then... the only other thing I can think of is you started fishing before JP midnight and fished about 100 fish until it hit midnight there, then you started your count over.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2012-01-12 15:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ohhh, I'll give Dil a shot when my PC's feeling a bit better then, thanks ^^

Don't suppose I could have the link for that guide? Most of the ones I see are centred around Lu Shangs >< I'm pretty broke atm, so if I can avoid spending 3m on something, I'd like to!
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-12 15:25:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Nashmau is really the only place you need to go. The fish won't break your rod there unless you are trying for the level 99 one which you shouldn't.
 Carbuncle.Snoochybooch
By Carbuncle.Snoochybooch 2012-01-12 15:26:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Stage 0.5: Nebimonite
Fishing Levels: 0-27
Area: Ship between Mhaura/Selbina or Sea Serpent Grotto
Bait: Halcyon Rod (or Lu of course) & Crayfish Paste
Notes: Skip moats and hit these up for 27 levels. They sell incredibly fast on the AH for about 9k per stack. To save more gil, buy the crayfish paste at the fisherman's guild for dirt cheap. I'm sure they were exaggerating, but people said they made almost enough to buy a Lu from AHing these from 0-27 instead of spending time on Moats and random other fish. I imagine if you would like you can start Istiridye earlier than 27 assuming you have a Lu, a friend began them at level 7 with a Lu.

Stage 1: Istiridye
Fishing Levels: 0-53
Bait: Robber Rig
Notes: These are incredibly easy to reel in and stack. If you are a bit patient they will sell on the AH for 7k a stack, or find a high level bonecrafter who synths them into black pearls and sell to them directly for a negotiable price. They also NPC for 300ish gil. I made 70k my first day just NPCing these while racking in a couple fishing skill levels from 30-33ish. I currently dbox them to a high level bone friend for 5k a stack.

Stage 2: Mercanbaligi & Ahtapot
Fishing Levels: 53-86
Additional Location: Tallaca Cave, W exit of Nashmau through Caederva Mire near Einherjar entrance.
Notes: A friend prefers Tallaca Cave, the difference is in Tallaca you will also fish up Dil's which you will not in Nashmau. NPC rates seem to vary on these from about 600g on Mercs to 700gish on Ahtapots. Mercs are the Eastern equivalent of Bastore Breams and Ahtapots are the Eastern equivalents of Grimmonites. Dil's npc for almost 800g each and are the eastern version of black sole which cap at 96. I personally prefered Nashmau until the Ahtapot cap at 90.

This is where a few options seem to open:

Stage 3 Option A: Pterygotus
Fishing Levels 86-99
Bait: Lugworm
Notes: Biterate is acceptable, and these will not break a Lu.

Stage 3 Option B: Dil
Area: Talacca Cave
Fishing Levels: 86-96
Notes: You will also hit Mercs (single !) which are already capped, and also Ahtapots (!!!) which cap at 90 but the bite rate of hooking dils is similar to Pter's and you will make nice gil off the other 2 fish in the meantime.

Stage 3: Option C: Cave Cherax
Area: Quicksand Caves
Fishing Levels: 86+ or more likely 99-100
Bait: A MEATABALLS
Notes: These will snap a Lu Shangs and/or your line. If you go this route and do not have WW high enough to repair consider buying multiple Lu's.

Stage 4: Option D: Armored Pisces
Area: Oldton Movalpolos
Fishing Levels: 86+ or more likely 99-100
Bait: Sinking Minnow
Notes: These *will not* snap a line or rod if the fish is completely depleted. Bite rate seems to be equal or possibly better than Cave Cherax.

Stage 5: Option D: Lik/Gugs
Area: Lufaise Meadows, Open Sea Route Mhaura/Al Zahbi
Bait: Minnow, Meatballs
Notes: If you are lucky enough to have an Ebisu by the time you cap Ahtapot 90 in Talacca Cove skilling off these is a profitable option. I personally skilled 90-100 off Liks and made quite a fortune bazaaring some for 15k and unloading others to lsmates for 10k each and helping them obtain an ebisu. This really wouldn't be a great idea if you had a Lu, but if you were lucky enough to have an Ebisu at this point, the skill ups were quite decent.

TLDR Fishing for Dummies Version:
All done in Nashmau:
0-53 Robber Rig, Istiridye (If no Lu, then Nebs until 27 w/Halcyon)
53-86 Shrimp Lure, Mercanbaligi & Ahtapot
86-99 Lugworm or Sinking Minnow, Pterygotus
99-100 QSC, Meatballs/Cave Cherax OR Oldton Movalpolos, Sinking Minnow/Armored Pisces, OR Lik/Gugs Minnow/Meatballs

this is all it had.
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2012-01-12 15:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Awesome, thanks Snoochy ^^

So basically, Halcyon + Shrimp Lure and sit in Tallaca Cove for a lifetime or two! Sounds like a plan to me.
 Carbuncle.Snoochybooch
By Carbuncle.Snoochybooch 2012-01-12 15:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Hahaha pretty much, it's not that bad really
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2012-01-12 15:35:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I expect it to be ok. One of my friends got from 40-80+ on Dil/Black Sole on 2 chars (Lu Shang's on 1, not sure about his mule) in less than 2 weeks, so I'm expecting a couple of weeks and I'll be around the same level.
 Carbuncle.Snoochybooch
By Carbuncle.Snoochybooch 2012-01-12 15:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

A Lu shangs would help greatly, but isnt required. I dont think I even broke my lu shangs till I started going after gugs
 Leviathan.Crytone
By Leviathan.Crytone 2012-01-12 16:08:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
If you have ebisu, then you can go up to 215.

Now, if you don't, then the only thing I can think of is you are fishing fish with a sabiki or w/e and catching multiple fish at once. Fish count counts by ID, and having 2 fish on the line counts as 1 fish. Same goes with 3 fish on the line.

If it isn't that...then... the only other thing I can think of is you started fishing before JP midnight and fished about 100 fish until it hit midnight there, then you started your count over.

I have to say nope to all your suggestions.. My setup: Lu Shangs, Sinking Minnow, catching Armored Pisces in Oldton. Went from 94-97 Fishing yesterday. Started fishing after I got home (which was in the afternoon here, or about 6am JST) and quit/went to bed well before JP midnight.

As for Ebisu finally got my last of my GP today for Serpent Rumors KI and traded my Silk/Shoot in so should have it Sunday.. Might be 100 by then too (got my items 2 weeks ago when I was only 73!).
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2012-01-12 16:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

This is luck I do not have.
 Midgardsormr.Markers
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Markers
By Midgardsormr.Markers 2012-01-12 16:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

0/105 of ze saber shoot, ballz /facedesk
 Bismarck.Rosalee
Server: Bismarck
user: Rosamimi
By Bismarck.Rosalee 2012-01-12 22:17:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kaht said: »
Bismarck.Rosalee said: »
Grr guild points are wrong again with the new pattern.

Veteran points today are black eels. 576 points each, 6.8 for max points (3920.)

Aaaaand off to Zeruhn Mines I go~

Quick question though: does the fisherman's belt have to remain equipped in order to keep support given by it on? It'd suck having to give up my Angler's Discernment bonus from my fisher's rope for that.

Did you submit the correction on the New/Updated Guild Item Report section at the bottom of the page?

I did indeed. It just doesn't display the report on the page, figured other ppl might like to know.
By Greever 2012-01-13 09:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

minnows best for lik's? im starting to switch it up from gug's and haku's just for a change lol...getting bored of always fishing in beaucedine lol.
 Sylph.Morihei
user: Onitaru
By Sylph.Morihei 2012-01-13 10:03:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Minnows are cheaper, but I seem to get more Lik per-lure with sinking minnows.
 Asura.Izilder
Server: Asura
user: Izildur
By Asura.Izilder 2012-01-13 10:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

im close on points for an Apron but wondering if i should just push on and wait to get a signboard instead 1st

Ive heard the stamina effect from signboard is the same as a Penguin ring - but I've not used that ring so have no idea the impact it would have on Haks - if any - may someone provide some insight into this
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2012-01-14 08:48:52
Link | Quote | Reply

1/21 opal silk
0/43 sabershoot *sigh* and i hate ferry fishing
 Lakshmi.Santoro
Server: Lakshmi
user: Fukinder
By Lakshmi.Santoro 2012-01-14 08:53:13
Link | Quote | Reply

1/300~ Opal Silk
0/130~ Saber Shoot

Friend just went 1/4 Saber Shoot and 1/70 Opal Silk.

I nearly /ragequit
 Fenrir.Billstewart
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Billstewart 2012-01-14 09:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

OK so im still having no luck on opal silk, my fishing skill is at 96, where would my best options to level up to 100 be? i was thinking armored pisces but are there any other options? thanks
By Greever 2012-01-14 09:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

just keep fishing the liks/gugs until you cap out. I found the pisces to be extreamly slow skill wise when i was doing them. at least with the gugs/liks ull get skill + a chance at ebisu items
 Lakshmi.Santoro
Server: Lakshmi
user: Fukinder
By Lakshmi.Santoro 2012-01-14 09:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I did armored pisces, I found them a good bite rate and good skill ups. Plus with Voidwatch warp its really easy to get to the camp.
 Leviathan.Crytone
By Leviathan.Crytone 2012-01-15 18:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been doing Armored Pisces too.. They were great until my skillup rings ran out (~1 lvl a day with rings) but after they were only giving less than 0.5 skill total a day. The camp is very easy to get to though.

Been a good day for me again in FF. Hit 99 fishing last night, got Mekira body finally, got my Fishermen's Stall and picked up my Ebisu!
[+]
By MissSteph 2012-01-15 19:01:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Congrats Crytone :)
First Page 2 3 ... 32 33 34 ... 112 113 114