Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Coronach
Coronach
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-26 10:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Corrosive Ooze works the same way, so you can totally rotate them and cut that in half!
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-07-26 10:17:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Yus, only 33 hours to cap hate!
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-26 10:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ooze is actually better, since it gives 0 VE while Regurgitation still gives 640 VE... the horror!
 Sylph.Washburn
Server: Sylph
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2012-07-26 10:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I understand what youre saying about capping hate, but half the game of being a ranger is to do as much damage as possible. The key to ranger is feeling out where you are v/s other dd's, and staying off that #1 spot. You can't realistically math your way into being a good ranger, because the group youre with will vary, and so will the hate generated by others. The only way anyone can be a good ranger is by playing the job, learning your limits, and making adjustments on th fly.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-07-26 11:33:14
Link | Quote | Reply

If you last stand with capped hate, your pulling hate.The mob will proceed to run at you, if DDs aren't quick with voke/it's down, your gonna get wailed on and/or MPK your surroundings (depending on mob).
Even just pulling certain enemies towards you and not actually wailing on you is potentially dangerous.

If you're refering to Voidwatch, you're correct in wanting to consistantly Last Stand, infact coronach is barely useful in VW at all. Anywhere your target is strong/capable of huge devastating AoE's (Outside of VW) and the likes, solely Coronach.
 Sylph.Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2012-07-26 12:30:57
Link | Quote | Reply

In voidwatch, you can pretty much do whatever you want as long as you have a gnostics on stand-by. I'm fully aware that capping hate makes the monster come at you, but in fights such as Odin, legion and any other endgame fight, you have plenty of wiggle room. Using coronach exclusively in some situations, is killing your potential as a DD. you still have the option to merit stealth shot, use decoy shot (+ camoflauge if you decide to swap to gandiva with full aftermath).

I know i speak higher of rng than most, but I'm one of the few that has stuck it out through the nerfs and inconsistancies that ranger has fallen victim to over the years. I see a lot of potential still to come with ranger, and theres a lot of damage potential in last stand. My whole argument is that you don't have to do 40MPH on a 70MPH highway just because its the minimum. I like knowing i can be towards the top of a parse and live to tell about it.
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
user: Maddog
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2012-07-26 12:31:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Also if you know you're on the verge of pulling hate or capped out along with the other DD's, you can always use coronach. Or alternatively you can wait till the mob is casting a spell or using an ability to fire off a last stand. Yes you will cap hate at the moment but by the time its done casting its focus will be back on the DD's and not move at all.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-07-26 12:43:18
Link | Quote | Reply

As Helel said earlier, 99 Annihilator Coronach is by no means far behind Last Stand.

Also to note, with my LS atleast, we're bringing 4 Relic RNGs to Odin v2 (and decimating it's health, to further note)as such, RNGs are to be in close range to all benefit from the COR and BRD songs effiently. There was a occasion where one of the RNG's Apex Arrowed Odin, DDs were unable to re-cap fast enough due to debilitations at the time, perhaps JA times down aswell

You play a very risky game playing like that, and for little gain. Had Odin used Zantetsuken Kai at that moment, 4 RNGs may have died (the ability itself brings you to 5% HP, but it also en-death on it and is large conal)
 Sylph.Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2012-07-26 13:05:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm the only career rng in my ls at the moment, and i lack 5 marrows for now, i put them into mandau, but i do see your point. At 95, annihilator's last stand @ 100tp is right at the same damage as coronach, but theres a large difference in damage, which is why, at the time, i try to work last stand into my schedule as much as possible as long as its safe.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [50 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Crimy
Server: Bismarck
user: MasterEn
By Bismarck.Crimy 2012-09-14 08:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still pretty confused about how to gear for coronach, my gun is still only 75 since I'm on the arcana kills and too cheap to tp with bullets, but I Can't seem to figure out exactly how much str vs. dex a piece has to have before the str piece is better than the dex piece for dmg. I know I need way more ra.attk since while doing bismark last night minuet x2 gave me an extra 500 dmg to coronach letting me spam 1.1k ones ( i was terrified of pulling hate with 1500 last stands cause my group had no healer). but point being say you have a slot where you could either put 10 dex and agi or say 5 str, which is better?

secondly, when /waring or /saming for that matter even; since velocity shot takes a percentage of your attack and gives it to ranged attack, why do people use staves when if rng uses a dagger they get way more ( 510-580ish (idr just know it was in the low to mid 500s) attack with a dagger but only 150-200 with staff? i understand that the one staff is for STP for 4 hit build, but vulcans versus carbines dagger or alurh jambiya(Sp?)

also if anyone knows of a good location to do the trials can they share that knowledge with me my dnc friend glitz is whittling down those lil orbs in abby ule so i can ws them, but even with all that regain i tp sooo slow x.x and i'm not sure where im going to do plantoidx300 or undead x 400 yet

sorry if my post contains anything ignorant of how rng works, i took it to 60 pre abyssea then finished it recently and built relic gun over the last few months and am trying to get into it since no one ever lets me go dnc main to anything lol
 Bahamut.Colonelace
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2012-09-14 08:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If you dont have tess use af3+2 body

as for where to do the trial there are alot of post elsewhere saying where. I wish i could speak of experience but i got gun last night and still on ws x times trial since got busy doing something else. GL
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-09-14 08:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Just like all other ranged WS, STR becomes much more important for Coronach. I think it's because ranged attacks use fSTR2 rather than fSTR which makes STR much more powerful.

I think when /WAR you should be using Carabineer's Dagger for Coronach? Mekki Shakki may be the best option when /SAM, but I'm no RNG expert.

Velocity Shot doesn't add your attack to Ranged Attack. It just penalizes your attack and raises your Ranged Attack by a set %. It works like Berserk or Defender, just using Attack/Ranged Attack instead.
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
user: Maddog
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2012-09-14 08:29:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Stack STR for Coronach

Wildfire for Bismarck if you can

Velocity shot is not dependent on your main hand attack

I like aluh jambiya because I'm a taru, but there is Ngull and carabiner's too.

Can find full gear sets by searching or visiting other threads.

Ro'Maeve for arcana
Fort Karugo-Narugo (S) or Grauberg (S) for platoid
The Eldieme Necropolis (S) for undead

I had a friend loan a kraken to me for trials as it helps tremendously. 100 tp > last stand (coronach sometimes depending on bullet) > 100 tp > coronach and any mob dies. Was using dweomer bullets and recycle gear on ws along with str/agi to conserve some ammo, it helps a ton because just from ws you will be using A LOT of ammo. Was full timing fajin too because if you don't spell cast, swapping gear for macros gets very tiresome after the first few hours lol.

edit: beat on some stuff =P
 Lakshmi.Santoro
Server: Lakshmi
user: Fukinder
By Lakshmi.Santoro 2012-09-14 08:51:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Not trying to be a *** but a Anni RNG that can't afford ammo won't be anygood to anyone. :/
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-09-14 09:02:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't TP with bullets for relic trials, either.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Santoro
Server: Lakshmi
user: Fukinder
By Lakshmi.Santoro 2012-09-14 09:10:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »

That's where we differ then.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-09-15 02:03:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Santoro said: »
Fenrir.Sylow said: »

That's where we differ then.

You're silly.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-09-15 02:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Santoro said: »
Not trying to be a *** but a Anni RNG that can't afford ammo won't be anygood to anyone. :/
Good thing he's solo to do his trials then, right?
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-09-15 05:25:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Colonelace said: »

as for where to do the trial there are alot of post elsewhere saying where. I wish i could speak of experience but i got gun last night and still on ws x times trial since got busy doing something else. GL

Coronach is single-hit, which I'm sure you know, but it makes the belt/gorget less effective than with last stand (where the ftp carries across both hits). I would go with moepapa medal (best) or ire torque +1 (slightly worse) for neck. There may be a better belt out there now, but I use pipilaka for waist.

In response to Crimy's STR question, it's about a 50-60% modifier on the weapon skill, lower the more STR you have (i.e. the closer you approach fstr2 cap). Basically it beats both DEX and AGI for coronach. That's without even adding the additional ranged attack gained from STR.
 Bahamut.Colonelace
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2012-09-15 05:27:59
Link | Quote | Reply

yea i know about the single hit but neck and waist i went off of seeing so many post guess ill use prisilio belt that i got and look into moepapa... good looking out
 Shiva.Kollosis
Server: Shiva
user: Kollosis
By Shiva.Kollosis 2012-09-18 10:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said: »
Bahamut.Colonelace said: »

Coronach is single-hit, which I'm sure you know, but it makes the belt/gorget less effective than with last stand (where the ftp carries across both hits). I would go with moepapa medal (best) or ire torque +1 (slightly worse) for neck. There may be a better belt out there now, but I use pipilaka for waist.

In response to Crimy's STR question, it's about a 50-60% modifier on the weapon skill, lower the more STR you have (i.e. the closer you approach fstr2 cap). Basically it beats both DEX and AGI for coronach. That's without even adding the additional ranged attack gained from STR.

Could use Wanion