Game: FFXI
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-09-02 15:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

09-02-2011 02:30 PM
[source]
Bayohne
Community Rep

"Scarlet Delirium" features the previously unused ability of turning received damage into a benefit, so we understand that players will take some time to adjust to its effects.

We added Scarlet Delirium as a technical ability that is useful when fighting very strong opponents in new content such as Voidwatch and HNMs.

In many cases, dangerous special abilities and magic that are used by the opponent can be halted by Stun, but there are instances where Stun does not work or cannot be cast due to recast timers. There are also instances where players will have to take the damage from some attacks in order to stop more powerful attacks instead.

With these difficulties and risks involved, instead of raising attack and magic attack stats, damage dealt to the opponent (*1) will receive a direct bonus of certain %(*2).

We have determined that the time period for taking damage while the ability is active at 60 seconds is too short, so we extended the period to 180 seconds.

Also, regarding players’ requests to accumulate the damage received, we thought about this at first, but since this lowers the risk involved, the bonus would have to be reduced in return. Thus, we decided against that and implemented the current specs.

The updated data is now reflected on the Test Server, so give it a shot.

*1 This includes regular attacks in addition to weapon skills.
*2 The maximum limit for this bonus is not 20%. The limit is set much higher, and the closer you are to dying, the more damage is dealt to the opponent.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2011-09-02 16:03:55
Link | Quote | Reply

increased time on it could make it work, however is this a damage based on how little hp you have or how much damage you have taken? since he says "the closer you are to dying" at the end there it throw me off thinking it was just damage taken?
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Server: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2011-09-02 16:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I think this is really badass.
edit: also, I want to think the cap might be 40% or 45%.
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-09-02 16:15:52
Link | Quote | Reply

This made my day, thanks Kalilla!
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-09-02 16:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

XD But I didn't do anything lol
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-09-02 16:24:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
XD But I didn't do anything lol

Posted info i'd never see! I don't check the official forums x:
[+]
By Artemicion 2011-09-02 16:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The info for *2 made me grin.
I am looking forward to awesome results from reckless DRKs.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-09-02 16:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

This is proof that the test servers are working.
[+]
By volkom 2011-09-02 16:36:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Kalilla!!!
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-09-02 16:40:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I have the feeling that HP to MP convert items are going to become an essential part of a DRK's Arsenal if I'm reading this information correctly...
By volkom 2011-09-02 16:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
I have the feeling that HP to MP convert items are going to become an essential part of a DRK's Arsenal if I'm reading this information correctly...
tanking on drk with using last resort on and getting curebombed but doing massive damage in return :D ?
 Phoenix.Cathaldus
Server: Phoenix
user: DanielH
By Phoenix.Cathaldus 2011-09-02 16:42:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »

I think it's a poor translation to be honest, it's not the first time.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-09-02 16:43:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, they make it seem like you need to be at low HP for the effect to persist properly. Personally, that's the only way I read what they're saying right there.

What are you guys seeing? That it's a "Damage Memory" or something?
 Ragnarok.Corvinus
Server: Ragnarok
user: Xiong
By Ragnarok.Corvinus 2011-09-02 16:56:06
Link | Quote | Reply

At first I thought it was "damage memory" similar to that of Afflatus Misery, but after reading that new post it sounds like keeping low HP is the key.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-09-02 16:56:09
Link | Quote | Reply

You need to take damage, and pretty sure I remember reading that souleater doesnt count towards the ammount of damage taken, i'll double check with Nightfyre when he gets online today.
 Shiva.Narkash
Server: Shiva
user: Narkash
By Shiva.Narkash 2011-09-02 17:04:45
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what it means: in the 3 minute activation duration to take damage, you get hit -once-, that 1 hit is how much extra damage you produce.

Edit: After taking initial damage, you'll get SD buff for the full duration of it. it's a 2 step process.
 Bismarck.Selzak
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Selzak 2011-09-02 19:10:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, it's the first damage you take after popping the ability that reflects the boost to your damage % (which I believe is based on what that attack did to your overall HP %).

In other words, the only real use for this is like an anti-stun that gives you a damage boost for 60 seconds instead of stopping the attack. It's just another entirely impractical application of a good idea for DRK.
[+]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2011-09-02 19:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Selzak said: »
Yeah, it's the first damage you take after popping the ability that reflects the boost to your damage % (which I believe is based on what that attack did to your overall HP %).

In other words, the only real use for this is like an anti-stun that gives you a damage boost for 60 seconds instead of stopping the attack. It's just another entirely impractical application of a good idea for DRK.
But you do know what this means for Apoc DRKs, yeah? :x
 Cerberus.Raddmage
Server: Cerberus
user: Kakkoii
By Cerberus.Raddmage 2011-09-02 19:47:40
Link | Quote | Reply

onyx gear ftw
[+]
 Bismarck.Luces
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-09-02 19:52:17
Link | Quote | Reply

"We have determined ... active at 60 seconds is too short, so we extended the period to 180 seconds."

..........180 seconds not 60.
[+]
By volkom 2011-09-02 20:20:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Raddmage said: »
onyx gear ftw
lol yes onyx gear ftw. rebuying the set^^
 Lakshmi.Leondimas
Server: Lakshmi
user: Leondimas
By Lakshmi.Leondimas 2011-09-02 21:46:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Luces said: »

"We have determined ... active at 60 seconds is too short, so we extended the period to 180 seconds."

..........180 seconds not 60.
The time period to take damage 180 seconds. The BOOST is 60 seconds.
 Ragnarok.Returner
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2011-09-03 08:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I think most of the ppl on the this forum still don't know how this JA works. Once they understand how it works then they will realize how this change has absolutely no benefit to us.

Originally:

You activate JA, you have 60 sec to take ONE hit. As soon as you take a single hit regardless of the damage, your buff icon on the top turn from a solid circle (all defensive buff look like this) to a red arrow (all offensive buff look like this). And from this point on, you have 1 minute of the damage boost resulted from that single hit. And the rate of change is based on the % of HP that single hit took out, and has a 2:1 ratio. Therefore, if you take a single hit of damage that took off 50% of your HP, you will get an approximately 25% damage boost for 1 minute.

After the change:

You activate JA, you have 180 sec to take ONE hit. As soon as you take a single hit regardless of the damage, your buff icon on the top turn from a solid circle (all defensive buff look like this) to a red arrow (all offensive buff look like this). And from this point on, you have 1 minute of the damage boost resulted from that single hit. And the rate of change is based on the % of HP that single hit took out, and has a 2:1 ratio. Therefore, if you take a single hit of damage that took off 50% of your HP, you will get an approximately 25% damage boost for 1 minute.

So you see? nothing has really changed other than the fact that you now can take that 1 hit within 3 minutes instead of 1 minute, even though it is very obvious that SE wants you to pop this JA right before the mob does a nasty AoE move or a TP move targeting you. So what's the point of a long duration for taking that hit? We need the effect to be 3 minutes not the time to get hit to be 3 minutes.

Cap for the damage boost is 49% pretty much, since the highest damage you can take is 99% of your HP, 99%/2=49%.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2011-09-03 08:30:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Not trying to call BS or anything but where was this tested? I have not seen any well tested posts on this JA pre or post the change. Would like to know how the conclusion came to it being a single hit and so on.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Server: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-09-03 08:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

As much as I'd like to take your word for that, mind showing some data that proves what you said?

And that^
By volkom 2011-09-03 09:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Returner said: »
I think most of the ppl on the this forum still don't know how this JA works. Once they understand how it works then they will realize how this change has absolutely no benefit to us.

Originally:

You activate JA, you have 60 sec to take ONE hit. As soon as you take a single hit regardless of the damage, your buff icon on the top turn from a solid circle (all defensive buff look like this) to a red arrow (all offensive buff look like this). And from this point on, you have 1 minute of the damage boost resulted from that single hit. And the rate of change is based on the % of HP that single hit took out, and has a 2:1 ratio. Therefore, if you take a single hit of damage that took off 50% of your HP, you will get an approximately 25% damage boost for 1 minute.

After the change:

You activate JA, you have 180 sec to take ONE hit. As soon as you take a single hit regardless of the damage, your buff icon on the top turn from a solid circle (all defensive buff look like this) to a red arrow (all offensive buff look like this). And from this point on, you have 1 minute of the damage boost resulted from that single hit. And the rate of change is based on the % of HP that single hit took out, and has a 2:1 ratio. Therefore, if you take a single hit of damage that took off 50% of your HP, you will get an approximately 25% damage boost for 1 minute.

So you see? nothing has really changed other than the fact that you now can take that 1 hit within 3 minutes instead of 1 minute, even though it is very obvious that SE wants you to pop this JA right before the mob does a nasty AoE move or a TP move targeting you. So what's the point of a long duration for taking that hit? We need the effect to be 3 minutes not the time to get hit to be 3 minutes.

Cap for the damage boost is 49% pretty much, since the highest damage you can take is 99% of your HP, 99%/2=49%.
starting to agree its not a damage accumulation thing but yeh a single devastating hit against you raises your attack.
Quote:
Also, regarding players’ requests to accumulate the damage received, we thought about this at first, but since this lowers the risk involved, the bonus would have to be reduced in return. Thus, we decided against that and implemented the current specs.

so therefore.. black/onyx gear useful again! pop ability, last resort, do a devastating weaponskill... then swap to onyx gear...get hit...swap to tp gear.. and kill kill kill
 Ragnarok.Returner
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2011-09-03 10:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn said: »
Not trying to call BS or anything but where was this tested? I have not seen any well tested posts on this JA pre or post the change. Would like to know how the conclusion came to it being a single hit and so on.

Go to the official forum under Dark Knight, there are tests done by others. You can try it out on your own, as the icon changes after you get hit once and last for 1 minute. As for the conversion rate, there are some data done with range attack which is static.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-09-03 17:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Returner's info is correct. As things stand right now it's an incredibly disappointing JA.
 Ragnarok.Lugat
user: Jar
By Ragnarok.Lugat 2011-09-03 17:56:21
Link | Quote | Reply

You must take all of that Damage in ONE hit after using the JA and it lasts 1 min cap is 49%( For ever 2% of damage you take you will deal 1% more damage 99/2=49%) as stated by OP

edit:*** beat
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-09-03 18:04:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Returner's info is correct. As things stand right now it's an incredibly disappointing JA.

Doesn't sound that bad really. Not as great as anticipated, but still.
First Page 2 3