Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » Another set advice thread
Another set advice thread
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2011-08-06 07:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

How confident are you on that dex ring? Dex build is always flaky when you are uncertain about dDex values(i assume for outside aby) if inside aby i would say get a str ring strigo(6str 3 atk) or one of them 7 str ones.
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2011-08-06 07:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn said:
How confident are you on that dex ring? Dex build is always flaky when you are uncertain about dDex values(i assume for outside aby) if inside aby i would say get a str ring strigo(6str 3 atk) or one of them 7 str ones.

If I had Strigoi, I would probably use it as it gives roughly 7.5 atk and ws mods. I prefer my Jupiter's to a 7 str ring though, but that's just me.
 Ragnarok.Amador
Server: Ragnarok
user: Amador
By Ragnarok.Amador 2011-08-06 14:33:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, that set will get you a 5 hit.

However, you're losing a ton on your gear options especially for TP phase.

You should swap Zelus for Lancer's +2 Head, Tactical for Atheling, Not sure if you need the Kemmas or not, however if you do not, use Aesir Ear Pendant.

Obtaining an Almah Torque would also allow you to use a Blitz Ring.

Calmecac should be subbed out for Bestia Breeches with +4% Haste, due to DA and TA conflicting returns when you have an OAT weapon.

End Result would be: 24.61% Haste, 19.8 TP Per Hit. Requiring 21% Drakes TP Return. You'll also gain back around 70 Attack, and 3% DA. Give or take.

For WS your set is fine, however you don't need the Ring1. Can sub that out for a STR Ring. Unless you're focusing for a higher D rating versus VoidWatch, in which case you'd probably still be better off with a STR Ring. Either way it's fine, (Try to Augment it... my LS mate has one with ATK+6). Good Luck!
 Siren.Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2011-08-06 16:18:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Amador said:
Well, that set will get you a 5 hit.

However, you're losing a ton on your gear options especially for TP phase.

You should swap Zelus for Lancer's +2 Head, Tactical for Atheling, Not sure if you need the Kemmas or not, however if you do not, use Aesir Ear Pendant.

Obtaining an Almah Torque would also allow you to use a Blitz Ring.

Calmecac should be subbed out for Bestia Breeches with +4% Haste, due to DA and TA conflicting returns when you have an OAT weapon.

End Result would be: 24.61% Haste, 19.8 TP Per Hit. Requiring 21% Drakes TP Return. You'll also gain back around 70 Attack, and 3% DA. Give or take.

For WS your set is fine, however you don't need the Ring1. Can sub that out for a STR Ring. Unless you're focusing for a higher D rating versus VoidWatch, in which case you'd probably still be better off with a STR Ring. Either way it's fine, (Try to Augment it... my LS mate has one with ATK+6). Good Luck!

Okay, I looked at your suggestions and adjusted the TP set to this:
(Bestia would need 4 haste, otherwise I would use Aces's legs until I get that augment)

I am not gonna sacrifice a true five hit build, and I want to keep capped haste. This set is to maximize WS frequency, not my damage per hit. Also, I do not believe that the DA and TA would bother a OAT weapon. I believe that DA and TA overwrites OAT, so if DA procs, you wouldn't notice a difference, and if TA procs you would get another hit. DA is only detrimental if you have OA3 or higher, and TA is only detrimental if you have OA4 or higher. Also, if you read my post you would have seen that I said I had a 6 atk augment on the Jupiter's.
 Ragnarok.Amador
By Ragnarok.Amador 2011-08-06 16:46:31
Link | Quote | Reply

That's perfect for your objective to maximize WS frequency.

Can drop Almah Torque for Love/Agasaya then. Since the +2 STP is no longer required. That or White Tathlum for Thew Bomblet. Your choice.

TP per hit regardless would be 20.1% Return per hit, and 20.4 if you choose to leave it as is shown above.
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2011-08-06 17:05:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing is, for 'maximizing WS frequency', so long as you use drakes, there is no point in having a true 5hit because you WILL get more TP from the extra 3 hits of drakes so you will just be at 100+X tp every time. You wont WS more by having 20tp/hit using drakes ending with 102-103tp vs 19.6/hit and getting at least 2/3 of your extra hits on drakes to land you at 100-101 but you will get to wear more DD gear.

Unless you are using wheeling or camlan, there is zero point in having a 'true' 5 or 6hit. Its just needlessly gimping your damage with extra STP gear so you can WS with 103 TP instead of 100.

You can always just have 2 sets (i used to at 75 when wheeling was more useful). One has a 'true' Xhit for use for wheeling/camlan (HNM rediculous Def mobs) and the other is a ghetto 5/6hit that uses the extra TP on drakes to give more freedom in stp gear.
 Siren.Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2011-08-06 17:23:53
Link | Quote | Reply

So this basically. Yeah, it makes sense to ditch at least 2 stp, all I will need is to hit at least 1 additional hit on Drakesbane.

Ragnarok.Amador
By Ragnarok.Amador 2011-08-06 18:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Thoraeon said:
So this basically. Yeah, it makes sense to ditch at least 2 stp, all I will need is to hit at least 1 additional hit on Drakesbane.

No with this set up you're fine as long as you land an fairly accurate Drakesbane. So, no worries.

It doesn't even require 4/4 I believe on Drakes for you to maintain your 5 hit.

Lakshmi.Aanalaty said:
The thing is, for 'maximizing WS frequency', so long as you use drakes, there is no point in having a true 5hit because you WILL get more TP from the extra 3 hits of drakes so you will just be at 100+X tp every time. You wont WS more by having 20tp/hit using drakes ending with 102-103tp vs 19.6/hit and getting at least 2/3 of your extra hits on drakes to land you at 100-101 but you will get to wear more DD gear.

Unless you are using wheeling or camlan, there is zero point in having a 'true' 5 or 6hit. Its just needlessly gimping your damage with extra STP gear so you can WS with 103 TP instead of 100.

You can always just have 2 sets (i used to at 75 when wheeling was more useful). One has a 'true' Xhit for use for wheeling/camlan (HNM rediculous Def mobs) and the other is a ghetto 5/6hit that uses the extra TP on drakes to give more freedom in stp gear.

This is basically true though, a lot of people don't really understand how it works however, and they shoot for a solid hit build. That's fine, but yeah, unnecessary.

Having multiple sets depending on WS is always a smart idea, since they would require different TP sets and most do have different WS sets as well which would lead you to change your set quite a bit depending on what you want to do.

<3 My Regain Earring.
By Ophannus 2011-08-11 10:19:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I find this works really well:
TP

5-hit OAT with 25% haste

WS

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Arcalimo
user: arcalimo
By Ragnarok.Arcalimo 2011-08-17 12:29:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm getting mad trying to look for it ;_;
Can anyone tell me how much STP need for a 6-hit with a 492 polearm?
I mean, the total STP needed, i'm trying to work in a 6-hit on mage sub.
It's 26 <.<?

thanks in advance :p
By Briefcase 2011-08-17 13:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my 6Hit TP setup with Mage Sub + 492 Polearm:

You can use standard WS gear assuming you are using Drakes. If you are using Single Hit WS, you will need to WS in White Tathlum, AF3 Body and an additional 3 STP from another slot (Or your preferred combination of 15 extra STP...)

Edit: To clarify, yes you need 26 STP in your TP gear.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2011-08-17 13:33:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Its 26. That will get you 100.2 TP after 6 hits. You can also WS in 25, TP in 26 and still have 100.1. This is all for a true 6 after wheeling or cam.

If you are using drakes, you can get away with a lot less.

For example:
Drakes=16stp (Plackart/Raja/Brutal)and TP in 26 gets you 100TP exactly if you land 1st hit of drakes and any ONE of the last 3 hits.

Add a rose strap
Drakes=20stp, TP=24stp gives you 100.3 if you land 1st drakes and 2/3 of the last 3 hits.

Lost of combos like that available if using drakes and a 6hit. You can check what STP gear you personally ahve available and put together the best set you can without over or undershooting.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Arcalimo
user: arcalimo
By Ragnarok.Arcalimo 2011-08-17 13:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, all clear now ^^
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-08-18 08:08:00
Link | Quote | Reply

My turn! Just got some questions about Drakesbane. I know it's a Crit WS but it's also a STR50% Mod WS so I kinda went with that a bit.

Current

My ideal

Thoughts? Was thinking I could do without the extra 1 STR/DEX on Drakes and keep Lancer's Plackart +2 on the "ideal" set for the 14 atk and 10 STP for return TP on WS.
 Asura.Loneshadow
Server: Asura
By Asura.Loneshadow 2011-08-18 08:16:08
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my Drakesbane set currently. STR +3 and Polearm Skill +2 on Hecatomb feet

[+]
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-08-18 08:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Loneshadow said: »
This is my Drakesbane set currently. STR +3 and Polearm Skill +2 on Hecatomb feet

you know against a THF Lv95 mob, I have capped acc in TP/WS gear just from 75DEX+20 376 skill (took out a few merits so I could merit staff for Sunburst on NIN/WAR :<) and just Empy body. So I wouldn't see sea gorget/WS belt making too much difference for most DRG's WS sets. Unless of course gorget's damage bonus beats Lancer's Torque(Or Ire/Ire+1) and Light/Flame belt beats Beir +1.

Also I'm Elvaan so I've got the lowest DEX of all the races. Just saying in case anyone wants to correct me on something
 Asura.Loneshadow
Server: Asura
By Asura.Loneshadow 2011-08-18 08:37:14
Link | Quote | Reply

TP m
Bahamut.Mizuharu said: »
Asura.Loneshadow said: »

you know against a THF Lv95 mob, I have capped acc in TP/WS gear just from 75DEX+20 376 skill (took out a few merits so I could merit staff for Sunburst on NIN/WAR :<) and just Empy body. So I wouldn't see sea gorget/WS belt making too much difference for most DRG's WS sets. Unless of course gorget's damage bonus beats Lancer's Torque(Or Ire/Ire+1) and Light/Flame belt beats Beir +1.

Also I'm Elvaan so I've got the lowest DEX of all the races. Just saying in case anyone wants to correct me on something

TP mod at 100/200/300 is 1.0 for Drakes so +.2 is a direct 20% dmg increase on 1st hit of WS(The strongest hit) so I see that bonus as the best bet.
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2011-08-18 08:53:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
My ideal

Thoughts? Was thinking I could do without the extra 1 STR/DEX on Drakes and keep Lancer's Plackart +2 on the "ideal" set for the 14 atk and 10 STP for return TP on WS.

Keep the plackart. 1str/dex doesnt beet 14 atk no matter how you slice it, and on anything but a Thf HNM type mob, all that acc on twilight body isnt going to do anything for you since were so darn accurate these days. I would reccommend against sacing atk for acc these days on all fronts.

I would also reccomend pipilaka belt over bier. 6str/6dex vs 9str/-13dex. That is a LOT of dex to loose on a crit based WS for only +3 str. 3str for 13 dex is a pretty darn good trade.

A lot of people sorely underestimate the value of atk for drg. We need as much as we can get since we start in the hole compared to other 2handers. Id need to double check since i forgot about that necklace, but ill lean with love torque over the 7str, -3acc. Ill need to verify to be sure, but i think the 7atk, 9-11 acc and 5dex should edge out teh str. 7str vs 7atk/12-14acc/5Ddex is pretty close. Ill need to look into that one. Its just a lot to give up, but acc isnt all that important these days so im not sure.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-08-18 09:02:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aanalaty said: »
Quote:
My ideal

Keep the plackart. 1str/dex doesnt beet 14 atk no matter how you slice it, and on anything but a Thf HNM type mob, all that acc on twilight body isnt going to do anything for you since were so darn accurate these days. I would reccommend against sacing atk for acc these days on all fronts.

I would also reccomend pipilaka belt over bier. 6str/6dex vs 9str/-13dex. That is a LOT of dex to loose on a crit based WS for only +3 str. 3str for 13 dex is a pretty darn good trade.

A lot of people sorely underestimate the value of atk for drg. We need as much as we can get since we start in the hole compared to other 2handers. Id need to double check since i forgot about that necklace, but ill lean with love torque over the 7str, -3acc. Ill need to verify to be sure, but i think the 7atk, 9-11 acc and 5dex should edge out teh str. 7str vs 7atk/12-14acc/5Ddex is pretty close. Ill need to look into that one. Its just a lot to give up, but acc isnt all that important these days so im not sure.

I agree on the Twilight Mail bit, but Beir Belt is only -7 DEX. Heafoc Mitts are the -13 hands. And I'll think about the torque. Honestly I've noticed better numbers with a STR build. More consistent.

(I might be bias to it since I use it for Victory Smite and always get great numbers on that. Though I do realize Drakesbane isn't an empy WS lol (And this is Rev fists+2 VS).)
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-08-18 09:13:50
Link | Quote | Reply

heafocs are -4 dex.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-08-18 09:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Then I'm really confused where he got DEX-13 from unless he meant -5 from not using Torque. But then that's only -7 + -5; 12 lol :x Maybe that's what he meant.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-08-18 09:20:40
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe did the net for dex but not for everything else, you net +3 str and -13 dex
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2011-08-18 10:10:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Whoops i fumbled up some of the numbers there. I was writing individual stats, but thinking net and it came out mixed up.

Belt:
Bier (9str, -7dex) to pipilaka(6str 6dex)
Net: -3 str, +13 Ddex, +9.75acc

Neck:
Ire torque (7str, -3acc) to Love (9-11acc, 7atk, 5Ddex)
Net: -7str, +2-3atk, +12-14acc, +5Ddex

I would swap the belt in a heartbeat. That is giving up a lot for just 3str. The neck is considerably less clear and probably warrants a deeper look. Though I would imagine it would rely heavily on the need for that 12-14 acc. If you can use that acc, love would win handily, but that depends on the rest of your build and the mob. Of course it also frees up other gear. Heck, changing form twilight to plackart looses 11-12 acc. Swapping neck makes up for that and then some if you want to look at the holistic view of the entire WS set.

But that will vary based on gear/mob/race/merits/buffs etc like everything else in this game.

Anyway, i stand by the plackart and belt swaps wholeheartedly.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-08-18 10:58:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aanalaty said: »
Whoops i fumbled up some of the numbers there. I was writing individual stats, but thinking net and it came out mixed up.

Belt:
Bier (9str, -7dex) to pipilaka(6str 6dex)
Net: -3 str, +13 Ddex, +9.75acc

Neck:
Ire torque (7str, -3acc) to Love (9-11acc, 7atk, 5Ddex)
Net: -7str, +2-3atk, +12-14acc, +5Ddex

I would swap the belt in a heartbeat. That is giving up a lot for just 3str. The neck is considerably less clear and probably warrants a deeper look. Though I would imagine it would rely heavily on the need for that 12-14 acc. If you can use that acc, love would win handily, but that depends on the rest of your build and the mob. Of course it also frees up other gear. Heck, changing form twilight to plackart looses 11-12 acc. Swapping neck makes up for that and then some if you want to look at the holistic view of the entire WS set.

But that will vary based on gear/mob/race/merits/buffs etc like everything else in this game.

Anyway, i stand by the plackart and belt swaps wholeheartedly.

Okay... But I don't need the acc. Everything outside of abyssea is easy enough for DRG. And for something like Victory Smite, you focus on STR+ over DEX+ for crit boost rate. I get that acc can be useful should I fight something that'd have higher eva than what a Lv95 THF mob would have, but I don't need much. Idk if it's just my DRG but my acc is almost always capped. As for the status and stuff...

DRG90/WAR45
(TP gear; no food)
STR:95+28
DEX:74+20
Atk:540
Polearm Skill: 376
Acc vs Lv95 Mob w/390 EVA: 95% (Only need 2 DEX to hit the 95% cap; got 18. And I'm not even counting all the acc+ in gear I have.)
Acc+ from gear: 31

(WS Gear; no food (no twilight helm atm still using Hecatomb cap.))
STR:96+81
DEX:74+28
Atk:587
Polearm Skill: 369
Acc vs Lv95 Mob w/390 EVA (no acc+ being counted): 95% (482.3)
Acc+ from gear: 21
(DA+14%)
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-08-18 11:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

DRG90/WAR45
(TP gear; no food)
STR:95+28
DEX:74+20
Atk:540
Polearm Skill: 376
Acc vs Lv95 Mob w/390 EVA: 95% (Only need 2 DEX to hit the 95% cap; got 18. And I'm not even counting all the acc+ in gear I have.)
Acc+ from gear: 31

(WS Gear; no food (no twilight helm atm still using Hecatomb cap.))
STR:96+81
DEX:74+28
Atk:587
Polearm Skill: 369
Acc vs Lv95 Mob w/390 EVA (no acc+ being counted): 95% (482.3)
Acc+ from gear: 21
(DA+14%)
I haven't been on my drg in a while but... Is there ever a reason to /war?
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-08-18 11:26:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »

Eh I like the free 10% DA. I do /SAM for things that matter. Then /sam or /war for exping. And actually I have those status wrong I was on /rdm lol... So my STR and DEX is lower than /war would be :x
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-08-18 11:30:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh I like the free 10% DA. I do /SAM for things that matter. Then /sam or /war for exping. And actually I have those status wrong I was on /rdm lol...
First person I've ever spoke to that actually likes /war. I've been forced in to it for claiming purposes but I can't see DA trait a few stats and berserk/warcry being worth it over everything /sam gives you.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-08-18 11:46:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh I like the free 10% DA. I do /SAM for things that matter. Then /sam or /war for exping. And actually I have those status wrong I was on /rdm lol...
First person I've ever spoke to that actually likes /war. I've been forced in to it for claiming purposes but I can't see DA trait a few stats and berserk/warcry being worth it over everything /sam gives you.

again, only for exping. I do perfer /sam. The Store TP/Meditate/Hasso/Zanshin/Sekk. all out class WAR easy. /WAR just for if I'm lazy
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2011-08-18 13:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Aight, take two

DRG90/SAM45
(TP gear w/Hasso; no food. No acc+ counted in % except for Hasso)
STR: 96+34
DEX: 75+20
Polearm: 384 (Missing +2 head)
Atk: 553
Acc% vs Lv95 w/390 eva: 95%
Acc w/o acc+ gear: 481.8
Acc w/acc+: +31 (512.8)

WS gear (w/Hasso; no food. No acc+ counted in % except for Hasso)
STR: 96+90
DEX: 75+25
Polearm: 377
Atk: 618 (625 if you use Love Torque over Ire Torque)
Acc% vs Lv95 w/390 eva: 95%
Acc w/o counting Acc+ gear: 479.2
Acc w/ counting Acc+ gear: 500.2

Not counting any DEX+ and going with Elvaan DEX unmerited (since it's lowest iirc), you need a base skill of at least 366 to hit the 95% acc cap against a Lv95 with 390 eva (450.6 acc with Hasso being counter, but no gear being counted.)

In short, imo, you shouldn't need any more than Empy body and hands to keep acc capped.

Also, my original question was is it worth it to have DEX in slots where you can for Drakesbane rather than STR+ to boost crit rate? STR+ for more consistent damage seems better to me.
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13