Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Body Piece for a Melee'n Corsair
Body Piece for a Melee'n Corsair
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-04 02:49:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Well if my chomp dies, I'll just force a DC and not answer you for a few weeks and just say I was busy with schoolwork. Which would be a lie of course, and you'd know it since the last day of school was today. Then we'd forget the whole thing on a picnic. Duh.
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-06-04 02:50:07
Link | Quote | Reply

:< /sad

Also haha your school just got out. D:<
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-04 02:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but we probably start later than you do too. We get 3 months of summer!
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-06-04 02:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

FFF! I'm taking a summer course anyway. /sad
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-04 02:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Screw that. I gotta work on another empyrean. And for reals, play like 8 RPGs I just got off PSN.
 Phoenix.Mogue
Server: Phoenix
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2011-06-04 09:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Calling people who are Melee CORs HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE is just plain foolish. There's situations where this setup is viable, though it's mostly fodder mobs. Calling someone stupid when you don't even know the context in which they're using said Melee COR... when the situation they're most likely using it for is the right one.. is just... I don't even know.

Basically if it's fodder (See: Dynamis, Einherjar, Limbus, EXP parties of all sorts, easy NMs in like Visions/Scars areas) you should be meleeing (it's also cheaper!). If it's not you should be shooting, or if it's really scary doing nothing.

Belittling someone who might just do a lot of fodder-mob stuff on COR is just.... idk... dumb.

The only way you could have interpreted my original or followup comments to mean... that... is just straight-up not reading or some weak attempt to troll me. Since I was pretty rude, I guess that's almost understandable...

No where in my comments was I belittling anyone for using melee COR in principle but if you are going to do it you have to do it right. If the object is to gain TP as fast as possible through meleeing using a multihit weapon you do not deliberately gimp said TP gain by offhanding any other weapon as the OP was advocating. Period. Here, let me say it another way so you don't misread me again. If you are melee cor, you do not dual wield, EVER.

And yet, look at the setups on page 1 with almost everyone using Acinaces or Twilight Knife. They should be called out as stupid for putting that garbage up here as a "suggestion" and I would have thought someone (anyone!) would point out how awful such an approach would be. There was no such comment, so i made it.

Clear enough?
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-06-04 09:44:24
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can't post without name calling, then don't post. Keep it civil, people.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2011-06-04 15:08:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Mogue said:

No where in my comments was I belittling anyone for using melee COR in principle but if you are going to do it you have to do it right. If the object is to gain TP as fast as possible through meleeing using a multihit weapon you do not deliberately gimp said TP gain by offhanding any other weapon as the OP was advocating. Period. Here, let me say it another way so you don't misread me again. If you are melee cor, you do not dual wield, EVER.

And yet, look at the setups on page 1 with almost everyone using Acinaces or Twilight Knife. They should be called out as stupid for putting that garbage up here as a "suggestion" and I would have thought someone (anyone!) would point out how awful such an approach would be. There was no such comment, so i made it.

Clear enough?

DW is pretty viable in Abyssea. If you don't have Wildfire, Evi will be your strongest WS with right atma(I strongly doubt Leaden Salute setup will have higher DPS than Evi setup unless mobs weak against magic or something), and not DWing will lose offhand hit of WS(that means lower WS dmg) plus extra melee DPS which is about 280 crit-hit per hit.

And the reason why ppl don't put multi-hit weapons in P1 setup is because multi-hit weapons generally has weaker DPS in Abyssea due to large amount of DA and TA you got.

The reason why COR DW is just the same reason why THFs or DNCs DW, that's why no one said anything.
[+]
 Phoenix.Mogue
Server: Phoenix
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2011-06-04 15:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said:
If you don't have Wildfire, Evi will be your strongest WS with right atma
Please provide links to testing showing increased evis damage on COR will be worth giving up higher WS frequency from mkris alone as well as giving up significant QD damage from sacrificing MAB atmas, because frankly this notion sounds farcical.

Even without wildfire (and the OP has wildfire, making your argument rather moot), proper atmas and a good Leaden setup are nothing to dismiss, particularly when you're getting (many) more WS off and doing (much) better QD dmg in the interim.
By Thrice1084 2011-06-04 15:31:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't know if anybody has mentioned it, but another melee tp option is crimson/blood mail if you can get your hands on it and get a synergist, can get acc/haste and other augments.. i believe acc can go as high as 10 and haste 3 ish? don't quote me on that tho.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2011-06-04 15:52:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Mogue said:
Ragnarok.Afania said:
If you don't have Wildfire, Evi will be your strongest WS with right atma
Please provide links to testing showing increased evis damage on COR will be worth giving up higher WS frequency from mkris alone as well as giving up significant QD damage from sacrificing MAB atmas, because frankly this notion sounds farcical.

Even without wildfire (and the OP has wildfire, making your argument rather moot), proper atmas and a good Leaden setup are nothing to dismiss, particularly when you're getting (many) more WS off and doing (much) better QD dmg in the interim.

You have THF 90, why don't you single wield MKris on THF and spam Evi to see how's the result?(And other ppl's reaction as well) When you see THFs never single wield Mkris and spam Evi(in fact, a lot of melee jobs don't use multi-hit weapons anymore), you never think about why?

So are you suggesting CORs to use 3 MAB for leaden salute setup with Mkris? Why not just use a Pluto's staff instead for even more LS dmg and macc? If you're using Leaden Salute setup, then you'd need DRK magic dmg+ atma, which isn't going to boost elemental QD dmg at all. How much QD dmg you can do with Mkris+only 1~2 MAB atma? Plus 45 sec recast time.

Not to mention 1 main reason to focus on Evi setup is because it's physical WS, which can be useful on magic dmg cut or absorb magic dmg mobs. Even with Wildfire owners, it's still useful to have Evi setup ready when physical WS are needed. Although I do agree that if you're meleeing for Wildfire, you shouldn't DW.

Note that increase WS frequency isn't 100% useful in abyssea, since you sometimes hold your WS to avoid ruby kill. And extra melee DPS(280 crit-hit DPS for a dely 190 weapon is quite a lot)may do more in this case, plus attack 2~3 times weapon like MKris may result TP overflow.

If you're using a MAB + melee dmg atma setup, you will get half *** QD dmg and half *** melee dmg, so my opinion is to focus on only one instead of split them, and use full STP gear for QD set as means to gain TP quicker.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [87 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2011-08-30 08:43:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aeronis said: »
So with the Mextli stuff, and Dusk +1, aaaaaaand Wivre with Crit Rate+3 (or 2, can't remember max crit rate on it)

This would be the optimal set I would think.

I wonder if this set is better outside of Abyssea with ranged WS as main WS

(regain augment on WoTG earring)

Only 25 haste instead of 26, but has 7 more STP.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-08-30 08:49:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure that unless the extra STP shaves off an entire combat round, the 26 haste will win out. And keep in mind with double attack/triple attack/multi-hit weapons/etc your chances for TP bleedover past 100 is high, thereby having wasted the extra store TP.

I would generally stick with the 26 haste setup.

Edit: personally this is what I use, working toward the Mex set (or whatever ends up being better at 95 if that comes round before the voidwatch mobs start putting out body pieces for me.) If 95 hits and there aren't better haste options I will buy the dusk+1 pieces back...but as things stand I get the impending feeling of market change with the update.

Acinaces/Joyeuse swap as needed depending exactly what I'm doing. Most of the time when I melee, it's Joyeuse though. I don't melee nearly enough to warrant purchasing an M.Kris.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2011-08-30 09:37:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I would have to wonder if the extra TP gain from joyeuse would make you WS more frequently enough to make up for the 5 MAB and base dmg gain from the AF3 dagger...

I would probably guess that Joy-toy still wins out
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-08-30 09:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
I would have to wonder if the extra TP gain from joyeuse would make you WS more frequently enough to make up for the 5 MAB and base dmg gain from the AF3 dagger...

I would probably guess that Joy-toy still wins out

AF3 dagger? It's not part of the af3 set, just fyi*
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2011-08-30 11:29:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said. Primarily I use Joyeuse.

There are circumstances where I go w/ the hybrid setup where I'm doing a lot of things.

Similar to this discussion in another thread, though...the times where melee'ing on corsair is appreciably more useful than normal QD/shooting methods, I’m on samurai/dark knight/warrior/etc.