What Subjobs,Macros, Rolls & Merits Do You Use?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » What Subjobs,Macros, Rolls & Merits do you use?
What Subjobs,Macros, Rolls & Merits do you use?
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-05-16 13:17:48
Link | Quote | Reply

You ignored my idea!
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2011-05-16 13:18:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kuz said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Don't know why every COR feels like they have to win the lottery every time they play the job. I'd much rather play Blackjack than chance my luck at a game of Roulette.

True. My complaint is about the COR's who toss up say... a Chaos Roll. Hit's a 6 and they go "meh. good enough"
Seriously?

But, What i REALLY wish though is... that SE would bring back the whole 10 min duration on an 11.
I know a lot of COR's hated that, but MAN that was total WIN in my eyes. What a great 3-4 months that was.

I'm fine with 10 min duration they let me keep w/e roll I want on myself. But I often ended up having Evokers roll on myself when I don't need evokers and pt needs more DD power to kill faster. So that 3~4 months was actually pretty terrible for me XD
 Siren.Kuz
Server: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-05-16 13:27:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said:
You ignored my idea!

Sorry. You're Idea again is creative...
But for an AOE non-magical spike effect if you're back tanking, wouldn't you just want the evasion roll???
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-05-16 13:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Paladin with evasion roll would lol D: (and anyone else would lol at a pld tanking to begin with)
 Siren.Kuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-05-16 13:33:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Well... you're on to something there!

BUT...

Why would a PLD with a shield Back Tank?
The plot thickens...
 Quetzalcoatl.Idkmybffjill
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: tooheyv
By Quetzalcoatl.Idkmybffjill 2011-05-16 13:36:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I generally ask LS cors to do chaos/warrior.

Reasoning: Most 2-hand DD you generally have an x-hit build calculated and dont get enough tp return from tact/sam to drop a hit. Dual wield jobs dont see substantial returns from stp gaining very little ws frequency.

Warrior's roll increases ws frequency and ws damage.
Chaos is nice if you dont have constant stalwarts (maybe fighting NMs).

Blitzer, while amazing for dual wield, will actually ruin x hit builds on 2 handed DDs and possibly lower dmg.

If however your party is all mnks/nins/thfs and you dont have a brd, should rock blitz to get people closer to 80% delay reduction cap.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2011-05-16 14:39:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kuz said:
Quote:

I know!
Afk farming weak mobs!

Pull 20 of them, Gallants roll+Regen roll, go afk for 20 min and watch them die =D

Pony Mine!

As this is good in theory, you'll wind up being too evasive and it'll be a wiff-fest. Hence they'd probably never hit you to get damaged by the spikes :(

I like your way of thinking though :D

Wait!
How about using it on an Ochain PLD against VT~IT mobs for this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZp4Q244Vsw

Pony mine mine mine!
 Siren.Kuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-05-16 14:49:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said:

Wait!

Pony mine mine mine!

Would work nicely, But you may get better results from Reprisal.
Again, doesn't fall under the "Practical" description though.
Reprisal get's over-written by other "spike effects".
To be honest, I'm not to sure if that would stack O.o
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2011-05-16 14:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kuz said:
Ragnarok.Afania said:

Wait!

Pony mine mine mine!

According to wiki, Reprisal has 3 min recast time and 1 min duration, so even if it doesn't stack, there are still 2 min without reprisal and you can use this ^^;

PONY! >=D
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2011-05-16 15:18:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks a lot for all the feedback :) I was feeling a bit lost before but now i can see a clear picture of what i need to do and how to push my COR forward to being great, hopefully this information won't just help me but other players wishing to play this pretty awesome job :)
 Cerberus.Irohuro
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-05-16 16:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

my question is about rolls is for during the procing phase of NMs, i was thinking caster's/evoker's for mages, tactician's/samurai for DD?
 Quetzalcoatl.Idkmybffjill
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: tooheyv
By Quetzalcoatl.Idkmybffjill 2011-05-16 17:09:57
Link | Quote | Reply

depending on how skilled your DDs are, might want to do hunter's/tact.

when I'm trying to proc staff red's on whm mule fixing her 50% accuracy rate would be more help than extra stp. Same applies to poorly geared shout members with out atmas.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-16 17:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

idkmybffjill^ best name evar.
[+]
 Cerberus.Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-05-16 17:48:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Idkmybffjill said:
depending on how skilled your DDs are, might want to do hunter's/tact.

when I'm trying to proc staff red's on whm mule fixing her 50% accuracy rate would be more help than extra stp. Same applies to poorly geared shout members with out atmas.

we usually have our 90WARs proc, along with our mnk and/or dnc and/or thf tank(s)
 Cerberus.Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2011-05-20 03:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

i've mostly been playing support recently, going cor/whm to help heal and remove debuffs. i've been finding BLU NIN and MNK rolls to be quite useful on the tanks while trying to proc on NMs
 Phoenix.Deboro
user: Deboro
By Phoenix.Deboro 2011-05-22 23:44:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh man I cant stand the amount of failing cors in this thread.

Cor is a fantastic DD, QD acc is a waste of time. why the hell would you ever /nin. cant handle.
[+]
 Siren.Kuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-05-22 23:59:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Deboro said:
Cor is a fantastic DD

No argument there. But COR is also versatile.
Why Pigeon Hole it into just DD?
Can fit into most situations on any support you need really.

Phoenix.Deboro said:
QD acc is a waste of time

Meh to each their own.
QD acc is usefully to make sure Sleeps/Dispels don't get resisted.
Also to make sure your QD elemental damage is resisted less.
And before anyone says "stack on more AGI", Why stack AGI in a slot where you can M.Att?

Phoenix.Deboro said:
why the hell would you ever /nin. cant handle.

I personally sub /NIN for pulling in Einherjar.
Why do I pull in Einherjar you ask? It's fast. I have movement speed. And can sleep while running if links are large.
So /NIN helps me get back safely to the group.

Ta-Da.

Answers :D

P.S. Before you say "OMG these CORs are FAIL!"... I Don't see YOU winning the Pony here buddy :P
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2011-05-23 00:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

MY cor forgot to stack M att and missed the Rapture shot. :<

Edit: every subjob is situational STILL

all af and relic should be obtained STILL

If you don't blink youa re doing it wrong :I
[+]
 Siren.Peacekeeper
By Siren.Peacekeeper 2011-05-23 00:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said:
Siren.Kuz said:
Ragnarok.Afania said:

Wait!

Pony mine mine mine!

According to wiki, Reprisal has 3 min recast time and 1 min duration, so even if it doesn't stack, there are still 2 min without reprisal and you can use this ^^;

PONY! >=D

Tell me WHAT PLD walks around with a full 3 minute recast timer on reprisal, and then tell them to stop playing PLD. Granted there's still 30 seconds at capped recast. meh~
[+]
 Cerberus.Zandra
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2011-05-23 00:31:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, in all this i've failed to see anyone mention a "Snapshot" set

Snapshot works wonders and you can macro into it for the readying and then macro into as R.ATT set for the actual firing.

Whomever said to toss as much Store TP into their QD set should be commended, its a Very Nice thing to do. The TP gain achievable with CORs these days is just ridiculous. Can get a Perma-Meditate inside abyssea. It is almost a....

3-hit Zanshin Build
[+]
 Phoenix.Deboro
By Phoenix.Deboro 2011-05-23 20:18:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I posted a 3hit build using QD a while back. QD return can be over 38tp with Armageddon though it isnt the most pratical.

Siren.Kuz said:

No argument there. But COR is also versatile.
Why Pigeon Hole it into just DD?
Can fit into most situations on any support you need really.

I didnt pigeon hole I was seeing many people scoff or laugh at people using Cor as a mainly DD job. Keeping up 4 rolls is way to easy to even consider a trouble. But then half of the people posting here might only drop there 45 sec QD's as damage or sit in the back /whm curing. Both of which are a waste of the job.

Siren.Kuz said:

Meh to each their own.
QD acc is usefully to make sure Sleeps/Dispels don't get resisted.
Also to make sure your QD elemental damage is resisted less.
And before anyone says "stack on more AGI", Why stack AGI in a slot where you can M.Att?

If your in a situation where you are constantly using Sleeps. Then you macro in the proper staff to go with it, along with yes Macc and Agi stacking. I honestly dont see my shots getting resisted in my QD set of full MAB the most equip able for the job right now, so again why would I use my merits for acc? I can keep my PR recast low enough to be able to stack 5 rolls for my party instead of the simple 4 rotation, I play with whm's who would prefer to not even get Refresh but my ability to sneak in an evokers if for some reason they get low is very helpful, Or because I have armageddon I like to be able to use wizards on myself as much as possible, im rarely in a party where anyone else is benefiting from this. And back to QD acc rolling a warlocks before a sleep that I really want to land feels more usefull than 10 Macc from merits though ive never seen testing to how much Macc Warlock's adds

Siren.Kuz said:

I personally sub /NIN for pulling in Einherjar.
Why do I pull in Einherjar you ask? It's fast. I have movement speed. And can sleep while running if links are large.
So /NIN helps me get back safely to the group.

Ta-Da.

Answers :D

P.S. Before you say "OMG these CORs are FAIL!"... I Don't see YOU winning the Pony here buddy :P

I have a pony.
Now I mean who uses cor to pull for Ein? and if you are pulling why would you not just /rdm? more useful overall and phalanx + stoneskin + your movement speed means your fine anyways, ontop of MAB Macc bonus. /nin should not be used on a cor, I way back when used to rely on it for QD solo kiting, then realized I was just slowing down the whole process for no reason.

I feel corsair is one of those jobs a lot of people leveled for the wrong reasons, I dont see very many corsairs around anymore and the ones I do never play the job to its fullest. No matter what sub your on you can always Ranged DD keep up 4+ rolls and be mr. support.

/Rdm or /Sam should be only subs needed, /rng does not provide anything worth having neither does /war. /Nin is useless except to Grellow. /whm is useless when would you ever need cure IV's to stay alive.. You can have all kinds of gear sets for different types of play I don't condone melee builds now-a-days but Id rather see a cor melee and roll then just roll.
 Phoenix.Fondue
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-05-23 20:48:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I only give rolls that benefit me until the other DDs outparse my cor <3
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2011-05-23 22:17:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Deboro said:

I didnt pigeon hole I was seeing many people scoff or laugh at people using Cor as a mainly DD job. Keeping up 4 rolls is way to easy to even consider a trouble. But then half of the people posting here might only drop there 45 sec QD's as damage or sit in the back /whm curing. Both of which are a waste of the job.

I think you misunderstand.
What he means is supporting magic from your SJ, not just keeping up 4 rolls. Using support SJ can be very convenient sometimes, and benefits the whole pt more than using DD SJ for extra dmg. You can still DD with support SJ with DD set, just that when things go wrong you can have some support cures and -na and RR/Raise to help the pt.

Why would jobs like RNG sub WHM then you may ask? Well COR has the ability to self buff MP rolls, and if RNG don't DD then they're not using their main job purpose, but if COR don't DD they can still buff, which is still their main job purpose.

Quote:

If your in a situation where you are constantly using Sleeps. Then you macro in the proper staff to go with it, along with yes Macc and Agi stacking. I honestly dont see my shots getting resisted in my QD set of full MAB the most equip able for the job right now, so again why would I use my merits for acc? I can keep my PR recast low enough to be able to stack 5 rolls for my party instead of the simple 4 rotation, I play with whm's who would prefer to not even get Refresh but my ability to sneak in an evokers if for some reason they get low is very helpful, Or because I have armageddon I like to be able to use wizards on myself as much as possible, im rarely in a party where anyone else is benefiting from this. And back to QD acc rolling a warlocks before a sleep that I really want to land feels more usefull than 10 Macc from merits though ive never seen testing to how much Macc Warlock's adds

Agreed, sometimes I don't even bother to swap to AGI/staff set and light shot still lands. Light shot is just so easy to land on anything you need to land light shots on, especially all mobs outside are not IT+ and in abyssea those mobs still too weak.

Dispel isn't that hard to land as well, and about 98% of time mages are in charge to do dispel anyways, so I usually get to save a charge for dmg shots and extra TP.

Personally I haven't seen any data on forums about the resist rate difference between QD acc 0/5 and QD acc 5/5 on NMs. Even if you're fighting NM, those dmg difference should be very small with 45 sec recast time and low dmg per shot, especially QD are more like a way to gain TP nowadays. Having DD roll back up sooner with PR merit would probably produce more dmg than QD acc merit overall.

Quote:

I have a pony.
Now I mean who uses cor to pull for Ein? and if you are pulling why would you not just /rdm? more useful overall and phalanx + stoneskin + your movement speed means your fine anyways, ontop of MAB Macc bonus. /nin should not be used on a cor, I way back when used to rely on it for QD solo kiting, then realized I was just slowing down the whole process for no reason.

I feel corsair is one of those jobs a lot of people leveled for the wrong reasons, I dont see very many corsairs around anymore and the ones I do never play the job to its fullest. No matter what sub your on you can always Ranged DD keep up 4+ rolls and be mr. support.

/Rdm or /Sam should be only subs needed, /rng does not provide anything worth having neither does /war. /Nin is useless except to Grellow. /whm is useless when would you ever need cure IV's to stay alive.. You can have all kinds of gear sets for different types of play I don't condone melee builds now-a-days but Id rather see a cor melee and roll then just roll.

I agree that /NIN isn't THAT useful, but I guess that's probably just my personal preference because I'm a /NIN hater XD. I'd say it's probably good if you're in Abyssea using Evi as main WS, and have a DNC main using haste samba. So if you /NIN you get extra protections from shadow and higher tier of DW, other wise it's really just for shadows.

/RNG is kinda dead nowadays, but it may revive if racc is relevant again for new content like voidwatch(the main point of /RNG is for racc anyways). I don't agree with /WAR part. It's still the best melee TP sub outside of abyssea with multi-hit weapon-->berserk/warcry--->Slug shot. If you're in a situation where you're not fighting NM, can get haste support, or mobs just die too fast like Einherjar/dyna/Salvage/Nyzul etc, /WAR will do more dmg than other subs. If you /ra those mobs will probably die before your bullet lands. Same reason why melee TP COR outparse /ra CORs at 75 pink bird pt, your /ra delay time may be wasted if mobs die that fast. I fail to see how /RDM or /SAM can keep up in terms of dmg for such situation.

/WHM is more than Cure IV, it's not useless(although less useful now than it used to be because everyone all doing abyssea and nothing else). But I've been wasting my breath to argue about this for 1+ year, so just sub w/e you want. If you don't like it, don't do it. But I'm gonna do it if I think it helps, period.

I'd like to add /DNC to be a necessary sub to have, good dmg with Evi and melee build in Abyssea, easy to kill shits outside of Abyssea with self cure s/i and haste. Situationally good for extra stun etc etc. I can't live without it ;>

I also think /BLM may be decent, same amount of MAB as /RDM, but you get Stun and D2, sounds useful for events.

You mentioned the CORs you've met never play to the fullest, if you want to play the job to the fullest, you need every SJ for every situations. Saying only needing 2 SJ isn't playing to the fullest as well. Your dmg output won't be fullest with only /RDM and /SAM if you're fighting Orthus/Glavoid/Briareus/Carabosse/some other magic resist NMs here and there, or if you're doing Einherjar/Voidwatch/dyna/killing EP mobs solo etc. If your main WS is slug but not using /ra, you need /WAR to do fullest dmg. If your main WS is Evi, you need /DNC or /NIN to do fullest dmg. There's no way you can play the job to the fullest with only 2 SJ.

Phoenix.Fondue said:
I only give rolls that benefit me until the other DDs outparse my cor <3

In abyssea, a proper geared WAR NIN MNK always outparse my COR in Abyssea on NMs. Outside of Abyssea RNG always outparse my COR in /ra situations with better ammo, deadly aim JT and velocity shot. In Einherjar my mediocre geared BLU always outparse my COR with instant cast 2k dmg spell spam. So the only situation COR actually parse high is really just Abyssea EXP pt with Wildfire spam, which isn't practical since I may as well come BLU to charge whisker burn 20 EXP mobs at once, still faster than Wildfire killing one by one.

So everyone get their rolls =D
[+]
 Siren.Froggis
user: Froggis
By Siren.Froggis 2011-05-30 13:12:31
Link | Quote | Reply

For merits I did:
5/5 PR recast
5/5 QD recast
5/5 Snakeye
5/5 Winning Streak

best choice for a lazy cor... and rarely do we have space for a cor and if we do, means you can be lazy because you not really needed lol.

If on were to have wildfire, I'd assume you'd be subbing rdm or sam mostly.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-05-30 13:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see the point of subbing rng. It could be cool at low levels for the racc and barrage, but why would one ever use it at 90? I also dislike /war, yeah it's good for a slug build, but meh I prefer a magic build for QD and Leaden with /rdm(of course there's not even need to mention WF), it would be weaker on ratk, but the difference is marginal, while the mab increase is noticeable. /sam also wins over war due to more ws spamming. /dnc eh, it's not the best sub, but it's something fun when you feel very lazy/cheap and don't need to put much effort. /whm, again only if vital, otherwise your palin gimping yourself. Like the other day a friend of mine wanted to brew Orth and needed someone with paralyna, so I just went cor/whm to buff and help him, since I wasn't even fighting.

About the macc...Idk if the difference is as low as someone says, but still I'd rather see my damage never resisted. Only thing I lose without PR recast is at the start of the party cause it takes me more time to finish preparations, but after that it's the same for every cor, the party is full buffed full time(if you're not being lazy).
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2011-05-30 15:09:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said:
I also dislike /war, yeah it's good for a slug build, but meh I prefer a magic build for QD and Leaden with /rdm(of course there's not even need to mention WF), it would be weaker on ratk, but the difference is marginal, while the mab increase is noticeable. /sam also wins over war due to more ws spamming. /dnc eh, it's not the best sub, but it's something fun when you feel very lazy/cheap and don't need to put much effort.

/WAR is melee TP sub.

Actually Slug is easier to buff than WF outside of abby IMO. Red curry+ berserk +war cry can easily boost WS dmg to 1.8k~3.6k+ outside in Nyzul
and Einherjar(that's higher than CDC and Blade: Hi average, and only a bit lower than Victory smite outside) especially if you fight weak against piercing mob. You pretty much need /RDM+ Vulcan's+wizards and fire shot up to reach this kind of WS dmg with WF. There's hardly any food that actually boost a lot of WF dmg outside of abby, besides squid sushi for AGI, but attack food boost slug dmg way more. And if you use Vulcan's it's very hard to get TP before those mobs die. Unless you're fighting scorpion and flans only, I don't see how /WAR not win. Fencer and double attack is also a nice bonus. And it benefits from Chaos roll, which is probably the roll you'll be using when you have DDs in your pt. In the end it's certainly easier to boost. WF is only better than slug against high def mobs, or + magic dmg mobs(Scorpions, flans, skeletons etc)

Saying /DNC is lazy/cheap and don't need to put much effort is misleading....Access to strongest physical WS in abyssea, haste samba for entire pt and self cure and stun, and high DPS overall...I tried /RDM WF spam a couple of times when I helped my friends farming Briareus path weapons, and in the end I go back and changed to /DNC for higher dmg output(we just zerged Briareus down in like 2~5 min after it's popped). The only weakness of /DNC is no shadows, which can be kind of dangerous sometimes, depending on how good your healer is. Gears for /DNC isn't easier to obtain than other SJ at all, certainly requires same or more effort to gear it right, if you want to get it good(need Mextli harness set, dusk gloves+1 etc to reach 26% haste plus little DW bonus)

Which SJ you usually use if you solo farm outside of abyssea? You pretty much need /DNC or /WHM if you want self cure, unless one regen roll can keep you alive. I really can't imagine any other SJ I'd use besides /DNC or /WHM when I solo farm EP mobs outside of abyssea(Such as farming sea organs, farming testi etc) And I prefer /DNC more because I don't have to use evokers on myself and no casting time for cures.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-05-30 15:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have WF yet and my Leaden can reach high numbers outside aby without using a dark staff, or any kind of food. I've never found myself regreting being /rdm to any situation except for one time where my damage sucked, I think it was Proto-Ultima, but not sure.

I hardly fight mobs outside aby solo, I do if I try to skillup parrying and then yeah I go /dnc, but that's about it. If I have to solo a nm I go QD kite with /rdm.

Of course it all depends on what you gear yourself for and Evis/Leaden/Slug can probably all pack same numbers if done properly(at least in aby, can evis keep up outside?). So it's about how you like to play. Wildfire though should always win.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2011-05-30 15:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said:
I don't have WF yet and my Leaden can reach high numbers outside aby without using a dark staff, or any kind of food. I've never found myself regreting being /rdm to any situation except for one time where my damage sucked, I think it was Proto-Ultima, but not sure.

I hardly fight mobs outside aby solo, I do if I try to skillup parrying and then yeah I go /dnc, but that's about it. If I have to solo a nm I go QD kite with /rdm.

Of course it all depends on what you gear yourself for and Evis/Leaden/Slug can probably all pack same numbers if done properly(at least in aby, can evis keep up outside?). So it's about how you like to play. Wildfire though should always win.

Some NM resist/absorb magic, so WF won't always win.

And yeah, evi is abby WS only.
 Phoenix.Deboro
By Phoenix.Deboro 2011-06-01 23:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said:
Phoenix.Sehachan said:

Some NM resist/absorb magic, so WF won't always win.

And yeah, evi is abby WS only.

Im sorry but if you cant zerg with Armageddon, faster then you could with a Dagger. your doing it wrong. Evis even with atma's on corsair will not do more damage then wildfire with atma's aswell
By Untamedheart 2011-06-02 05:43:21
Link | Quote | Reply

QD acc merits aren't useful anymore like they were at 75 cap when things still can resist your shots. I'm interested though if anyone can comment on resist rates against voidwatch NMs. I haven't had a chance to hop on COR against these NMs yet and they would currently be the highest level targets at this point in the game outside of abyssea.