Student Stabs Himself To Prove God Exists

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Student stabs himself to prove God exists
Student stabs himself to prove God exists
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Bahamut.Refreshtwo
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Refreshtwo 2011-04-14 16:31:47
Link | Quote | Reply

natural selection still works

Student stabs himself to prove God exists

Virginia Tech Police were called to the Drillfield Wednesday afternoon following a report of a student stabbing his own hand with a pen.

Police were called at 1:19 p.m. by a 911 call from a witness at the scene.

Alexander M. Huppert, a freshman university studies major, then assaulted an officer who approached to check his welfare, according to a police press release. After a short struggle with the officer and several witnesses, he was taken into custody.

The incident took place near a table promoting a local version of “Ask an Atheist Day.” The student group Freethinkers at Virginia Tech sponsored the table.

Witnesses said Huppert stood near the table for nearly an hour. Approaching the table, Huppert borrowed a pen and drew a circle with a cross inside on the back of his hand.

Nicole Schrand, a senior psychology major, said Huppert then asked students at the table to stab him in the cross with the pen to “prove to us God existed.” The students declined.

“We don’t believe in assaulting people,” Schrand said. “We’re very against assaulting people.”

Huppert then asked for the pen back, a request Schrand and other students declined. Seeing another pen, Huppert grabbed it and began stabbing himself in the back of the hand.

“If it had been a more streamlined pen, I would have expected it to go through,” Schrand said.

Wade Duvall, who was also working at the table, walked away from the table to call police. Duvall, a graduate student studying physics, first called the Tech Police non-emergency number.

“They told me to hang up and call 911,” Duvall said.

Tyler Pease, a freshman communication major, intervened when he saw Huppert attempting to stab himself in the wrist. Pease, a member of Campus Crusade for Christ, convinced Huppert into giving him the pen.

Schrand said Huppert attempted to confront Duvall after seeing him on the phone, but several people at the table stood between the two.

Duvall said an officer showed up in less than a few minutes. He said Huppert did not cooperate with the officer’s command to take his hands out of his pocket.

Duvall said Huppert then “smacked” the officer on the scene. In the resulting struggle, the officer called for assistance to apprehend Huppert.

“He kept calling for help,” Duvall said. “So I joined.”

Duvall initially grabbed Huppert’s arm. Pease also assisted in subduing Huppert. With additional officers responding, Huppert was taken into custody.

“I was shaking after it was over,” Duvall said.

Pease said the incident ended “better than I expected.”

“As soon as he started hurting himself I was thinking to myself this could go really, really badly," Pease said.

Onlookers were surprised at how quickly the situation escalated.

“I didn’t realize what was going on until police subdued him,” said Brenda Hawkinson, who observed the incident. Hawkinson described Huppert as “glassy-eyed.”

The release said that while in custody Huppert broke out a police car window and assaulted two other officers. None of the officers’ injuries required medical attention, and no other individuals were injured during the incident.

Huppert was charged with three counts of felony assault on a police officer, as well as charges of resisting arrest and destruction of property.

He was processed and transferred to Montgomery County Jail, where he is being held without bond.

The report said the investigation was still ongoing.

Schrand said the incident was not “what we were hoping would happen” during the event. Schrand noted the desire to remain polite during the event.

“We did not try to be offensive ever,” Schrand said.

Pease commended the group for having a “very open dialogue” during the event.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-04-22 21:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

This just caught my eye. The link doesn't work anymore so I can't verify the story. I'm surprised no one responded to this.

First question, how is stabbing yourself in the back of the neck proof that god exists?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-22 21:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow. Keep pens away from nutjobs.
[+]
 Phoenix.Degs
Server: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2011-04-22 21:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
This just caught my eye. The link doesn't work anymore so I can't verify the story. I'm surprised no one responded to this.

First question, how is stabbing yourself in the back of the neck proof that god exists?
well if he died... he would find out, to bad he will probably have to continue his university studies in the psych ward for a while...
[+]
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-22 21:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I think he stabbed himself in the hand according to the post
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-22 21:51:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Neck? The OP says back of the hand... I'm guessing the cross was supposed to protect him
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-04-22 21:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said:
I think he stabbed himself in the hand according to the post
lol, you're right. Idk why I thought neck.

OP needs to give us a new link!

Still doesn't make sense though.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-04-22 21:52:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know why I thought neck when I typed. Weird.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-04-22 21:53:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Neck? The OP says back of the hand... I'm guessing the cross was supposed to protect him

lol I wonder how surprised he was when it didn't. "O_O I'm bleeding?"
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-22 21:55:24
Link | Quote | Reply

http://friendlyatheist.com/2011/04/13/virginia-tech-student-stabs-himself-to-prove-god-exists/
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-04-22 21:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

After reading that link Das, it sounds like an atheist gone mad, rather than someone actually thinking stabbing his the back of his hand would prove the existence of a god. Maybe it's just me, but it reads like the opposite of the initial title.
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2011-04-22 22:03:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Or to prove he is not all there!!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-04-22 22:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodbathboy said:
Or to prove he is not all there!!
No matter what side of the debate, this is definitely true.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-04-22 22:09:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like something to do with stigmata, though what exactly he was thinking would happen is beyond me...
[+]
 Asura.Daleterrence
Server: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-04-22 22:10:22
Link | Quote | Reply

That guy is definately a couple pages short of an Old Testiment, if you catch my drift.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2011-04-22 22:25:42
Link | Quote | Reply

When I worked in ER we got get cases like this sometimes. God told me to do this or that. It was for the most part people off there meds.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-04-22 22:26:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Why the hell would even the most devout radical Christian ever think s/he could prove the existence of God by stabbing him/herself?

That logic eludes me completely.

"If I bleed myself out, that means God exists" ??

Sounds like the thought train of a mentally ill person.

"If I draw a cross on my hand, my skin will become impenetrable to writing utensils" ??

What the heck does that prove?
That you have a dull pen? Weak arm muscles?

Even if he failed to puncture his "holy" hand with the pen, would he next draw a cross on his forehead and then smash a glass bottle into his face? Or maybe draw a cross on his chest and try to impale himself by running into the pointed end of a javelin?

Seriously. Lock this dude up in a padded room. We have enough problems in the world with famine, racism, war, and everyday plain stupidity. We don't need schizophrenics mutilating themselves in dormitory common areas to make things any worse.

Part of me feels REALLY badly that this poor dude hasn't received the social support and medical care he most likely needs. And at the same time, I feel even more badly that other people had to be subjected to his lunacy and even threatened with bodily harm.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2011-04-22 22:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Social services most likely failed here. Half the perps Portland PD bring in are mentally ill people. Its a care issue.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2011-04-23 03:19:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah well, I feel badly for the other students, too...VA Tech sadly is getting the type of reputation associated with it that it doesn't want at all (and will take years to be rid of) with all of these type of events. :/
[+]
 Pandemonium.Scrumpet
Server: Pandemonium
user: Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2011-04-23 03:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Another incident with Virginia Tech. :/
By Serj 2011-04-23 03:36:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Why the hell would even the most devout radical Christian ever think s/he could prove the existence of God by stabbing him/herself?

"If I draw a cross on my hand, my skin will become impenetrable to writing utensils" ??

Even if he failed to puncture his "holy" hand with the pen, would he next draw a cross on his forehead and then smash a glass bottle into his face? Or maybe draw a cross on his chest and try to impale himself by running into the pointed end of a javelin?

Seriously. Lock this dude up in a padded room. We have enough problems in the world with famine, racism, war, and everyday plain stupidity. We don't need schizophrenics mutilating themselves in dormitory common areas to make things any worse.

Part of me feels REALLY badly that this poor dude hasn't received the social support and medical care he most likely needs. And at the same time, I feel even more badly that other people had to be subjected to his lunacy and even threatened with bodily harm.

You didn't read it, did you? The atheist is the one who stabbed himself in the hand.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Refreshtwo
By Bahamut.Refreshtwo 2011-04-23 03:48:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Serj said:
Bismarck.Elanabelle said:

You didn't read it, did you? The atheist is the one who stabbed himself in the hand.

bad wording Article easy to mix it up it was the Huppert stood near the table for nearly an hour. Approaching the table where the atheist set up, Huppert borrowed a pen and drew a circle with a cross inside on the back of his hand.

if he was atheist he be working at the table not Approaching the table
[+]
 Bahamut.Feisei
user: feifei
By Bahamut.Feisei 2011-04-23 03:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

geez thats so crazy here i am sitting at a friends house drinking some beers thinkin ill check ffxiah real quick and i hear about this. everyone in the room goes "oh ***!"
 Pandemonium.Scrumpet
Server: Pandemonium
user: Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2011-04-23 04:11:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Refreshtwo said:

"How can an African American person evolve from a White person?"
Um. . .
"African American" doesn't exist in the world of science.
Caucasians technically come after Capoid in terms of genetics. . .
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-04-23 04:31:39
Link | Quote | Reply

and this kids is why teaching your children religious nonsense is bad.

Also why allowing nut jobs to go to college is bad.
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Server: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2011-04-23 04:38:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't stabbing yourself with a pen just prove you're an idiot?
[+]
 Caitsith.Yohanxz
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Yohanxz 2011-04-23 04:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow... were living in crazy times!!!!! Either too much meds or not enough.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6