Student Stabs Himself To Prove God Exists

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Student stabs himself to prove God exists
Student stabs himself to prove God exists
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-04-23 22:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said:
Except the episode started with him dropping a vial of nanobots into a lake of oil, or something very similar to that. The nanobots then evolved in days into sentient robots. That's evolution with a possibility of a divine force sowing a seed of life. Not creationism.

Bah. You're right about the word creationism. I guess that word brings about a more "wham bam, everything's here now". I'm thinking too much about the word "Creation" or "Creator" when there's some philosophical point of view already named "Creationism" that brings its own meaning.

To a degree though, it's the same thing. That that divine force was the initial starter. He was against that notion at the start, but played the part of god for the majority of the episode.
 Ifrit.Arawn
Server: Ifrit
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2011-04-23 22:59:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I wouldn't call Farnsworth a divine force. This is as much a suggestion that the earth was seeded by an alien race as it is a suggestion that maybe a divine force created life here on purpose.
 Cerberus.Eugene
Server: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-23 22:59:42
Link | Quote | Reply

As I said, the episode doesn't rule out the possibility of the spark of life being of an extraterrestrial or even a divine source. That is a much more difficult thing to comment on. There is modern day evidence of evolution, in the studies of certain fruit flies, microorganism, plants, and even foxes. Article Determining the source of life is much more difficult. Scientists have created precursor chemicals to life in conditions that were similar to early earth, but nobody so far has actually been able to create life entirely devoid of any life previous. Even if they could, that wouldn't rule out that life was brought to this planet on a meteor, or some extra-terrestrials, or by the hand of some divine entity
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-23 23:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Arawn said:
Well, I wouldn't call Farnsworth a divine force. This is as much a suggestion that the earth was seeded by an alien race as it is a suggestion that maybe a divine force created life here on purpose.
Yea, I didn't mean to imply that it endorsed a view that some divine entity started life. In the case of farnsworth it was an alien life. The episode doesn't really tackle that particular issue, and in not doing so doesn't really rule it out either.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-23 23:25:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bender said:
First I was God, then I met God!

I think you may be able to call Yivo a god too, but he's also from another universe.
By zahrah 2011-04-24 11:54:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Refreshtwo said:

I have to say, I do love this episode.

A better scene is with Bender and God chatting.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Server: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-04-24 14:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
I have a question for atheists at 'ask an atheists day'. What do you guys do at gatherings?

As an atheist I never understood the principle behind atheist gatherings.
sorry if this has been responded to already but it's quite simple; survival.

It's easier to defend oneself in large groups, atheists are still human and still have the natural instincts to survive, and quite frankly in a world overrun with religion I'm surprised there isn't more of them.
 Cerberus.Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-24 18:52:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said:
Ifrit.Arawn said:
Yea, I didn't mean to imply that it endorsed a view that some divine entity started life. In the case of farnsworth it was an alien life. The episode doesn't really tackle that particular issue, and in not doing so doesn't really rule it out either.

I watched this again last night, and I take that back. In like the last minute or two of the episode they do discuss the potential of there being a divine entity starting life, and refer to farnsworth as being that entity on the robo planet.

However, when Bender suggests that the "creator" could have also been a robot, Jojo and farnsworth both break up laughing at him asking "who then created this creator robot?" I have a feeling theyre were going for more satire in this scene.