Abyssea Adjustments
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Asura.Selennia
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Selennia
By Asura.Selennia 2011-04-13 18:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

First of all, keep saying and talking about people's vaginas, and Jaerik might just throw the lock on this thread.

As for Abyssea, yes it has made things easier, and it has opened up more content to people that couldn't easily access it before. Both sides have their point. Yes you can try doing abyssea without using cruors/atmas/brews. But at the same time, good luck trying that crap in an ls event or with a random shout group, and convincing them to do the same. Just because one person wants the challenge doesn't mean other people do to.

Also, while the old content wasn't necessarily hard, it did make you have to think and strategize much more than abyssea does. It also did give you a sense of accomplishment when you had a great win. And determination when you suffered a close loss. Now it's just "Slap some atmas and brew that nm."

Lastly, Abyssea has really killed other content, which some people really loved doing. I personally LOVED doing the regular assaults, because each one was different, and took a different approach and assortment of jobs. Now if I want to try old content, if I can't solo it it's not happening. If I ask friends if they want to do assault, or just mess around in sea it's pretty much "Abyssea or GTFO!!" Heck I got called a noob the other day for only having one abyssea mega boss win, since I'm not too fond of Abyssea myself.

Seriously guys, is it so damn hard to have a discussion without flaming the hell out of each other? Most of you are adults, ACT LIKE IT!!
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-13 18:33:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Selennia said:
First of all, keep saying and talking about people's vaginas, and Jaerik might just throw the lock on this thread.
You're just mad no one is talking about yours!!!
[+]
 Bismarck.Nevill
Server: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-13 18:35:43
Link | Quote | Reply

What's wrong with saying vagina?
[+]
 Asura.Selennia
user: Selennia
By Asura.Selennia 2011-04-13 18:36:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Selennia said:
Oh trust me, I've had plenty of people talk about mine... and regretted it.
 Sylph.Cossack
Server: Sylph
user: sandman16
By Sylph.Cossack 2011-04-13 18:37:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

Oh I totally agree, if they make "sobek skins" available from like I dunno Tier 1 NMs in Vision area then I think it would be beyond stupid.

Why would you think this is stupid? Don't tell me you're secretly falling into some old HNM mindset.

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

Category 1(me): Get the best gear
Category 2: To create as much distance as possible between themselves and other people with exclusive gear

That's what puzzles me, what drives these people to fit in category 2? Do they realize that they are even part of cat 2 and do they understand why? Why is feeding their need for cat 2 so much more important than feeding their need for cat 1?

If everyone has (X) piece of gear then its perceived value decreases. Simply because you can't trade an item for money doesn't mean it isn't valuable. To the contrary, items of great monetary value are usually extremely uncommon.

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
I think that falls under the "vocal minority" category, particularly the people who claim to miss HNM. I have nothing to substantiate that though.

I miss the hell out of the old hnm days. I miss the intense bonds you made with linkshell mates, the rivalries with other linkshells, I miss the drama, the glory of making claim, cleaning house or working out inbetween mini-windows, hell I miss the fiance who left me over my ffxi obsession. But those days are long gone, now I'm ready for some easy ***, come on SE and give me the currency to finally finish my relic.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-04-13 18:38:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Selennia said:
Just because one person wants the challenge doesn't mean other people do to.
Believe it or not you don't have to do everything. Accessible content caters to one group, challenging content caters to another.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-13 18:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Selennia said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Selennia said:

So you're saying just don't talk about your vagina?
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-13 18:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Selennia said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Selennia said:
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-13 18:40:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Cossack said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

Oh I totally agree, if they make "sobek skins" available from like I dunno Tier 1 NMs in Vision area then I think it would be beyond stupid.

Why would you think this is stupid? Don't tell me you're secretly falling into some old HNM mindset.

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

Category 1(me): Get the best gear
Category 2: To create as much distance as possible between themselves and other people with exclusive gear

That's what puzzles me, what drives these people to fit in category 2? Do they realize that they are even part of cat 2 and do they understand why? Why is feeding their need for cat 2 so much more important than feeding their need for cat 1?

If everyone has (X) piece of gear then its perceived value decreases. Simply because you can't trade an item for money doesn't mean it isn't valuable. To the contrary, items of great monetary value are usually extremely uncommon.

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
I think that falls under the "vocal minority" category, particularly the people who claim to miss HNM. I have nothing to substantiate that though.

I miss the hell out of the old hnm days. I miss the intense bonds you made with linkshell mates, the rivalries with other linkshells, I miss the drama, the glory of making claim, cleaning house or working out inbetween mini-windows, hell I miss the fiance who left me over my ffxi obsession. But those days are long gone, now I'm ready for some easy ***, come on SE and give me the currency to finally finish my relic.

Good god... shut up already. Get off this game, seriously.
 Bismarck.Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-13 18:41:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Asura.Selennia said:
Believe it or not you don't have to do everything. Accessible content caters to one group, challenging content caters to another.

Problem always was the lack of accessible content for casual players. All the good gear came from group events. Nothing for fly-by-night players to do but farm all friggin day to buy the second-rate crap off the AH that doesn't nearly compare to the RE stuff.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-13 18:41:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Asura.Selennia said:

That is the problem with them. They want the best gear in the game for only putting in an hour worth of time.
[+]
 Phoenix.Fondue
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-04-13 18:43:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Selennia said:

Lastly, Abyssea has really killed other content, which some people really loved doing. I personally LOVED doing the regular assaults, because each one was different, and took a different approach and assortment of jobs. Now if I want to try old content, if I can't solo it it's not happening. If I ask friends if they want to do assault, or just mess around in sea it's pretty much "Abyssea or GTFO!!" Heck I got called a noob the other day for only having one abyssea mega boss win, since I'm not too fond of Abyssea myself.

while I agree it is certainly more difficult to do these activites due to noone having imperial standing or whatever, you just have to find that right group of people that doesnt just want to sit in abyssea all day :\

people like that are out there~
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-13 18:44:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nevill said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Asura.Selennia said:

Problem always was the lack of accessible content for casual players. All the good gear came from group events. Nothing for fly-by-night players to do but farm all friggin day to buy the second-rate crap off the AH that doesn't nearly compare to the RE stuff.

If you didn't have time to put into the game for that, you didn't deserve that gear. Why do you play a MMO if you have 3 hours to play a week? Go play a single player game.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-04-13 18:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Cossack said:
I miss the hell out of the old hnm days. I miss the intense bonds you made with linkshell mates,
HNM had nothing to do with your ability to bond with your ls members.

Quote:
the rivalries with other linkshells,
Competition can be healthy but competing for claim is not. All it led to was an arms race over who had the better bot and more mules.

Quote:
I miss the drama,
True, FFXI no longer feeds the dramallamas.

Quote:
the glory of making claim,
Nostalgia goggles!

Quote:
cleaning house or working out inbetween mini-windows,
So go clean house or work out between farming runs or something. Nothing is stopping you from not playing the game.

Quote:
lolwut
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-13 18:48:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey I clean house between weather/day pops for trials :)
 Bismarck.Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-13 18:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Asura.Selennia said:

If you didn't have time to put into the game for that, you didn't deserve that gear. Why do you play a MMO if you have 3 hours to play a week? Go play a single player game.

Poor business model to cater to a single mindset. And, I have always enjoyed Final Fantasy games, its the only reason I started playing this one. When I started, I was working on the road and played the game in motels for about 3 hours a night, 5 nights a week. Anyone on any sort of schedule whatsoever could never do the HNM scene. There are such things as casual players, and they probably make up as much of the mmo population as the hardcore gamers. Only makes sense to throw a little something in there for them too.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-04-13 18:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nevill said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Asura.Selennia said:

This is not necessarily a bad thing. Those who put in more effort should get better rewards.

Besides, there were only a handful of endgame items that could be considered significant increases over their next best options. And since 90%+ of old content was lowmannable at 75, you weren't completely out of luck on the major items unless you literally did nothing but play solo. If that's the case, why are you playing a MMO?
 Quetzalcoatl.Degeneration
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Degeneration 2011-04-13 18:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this for real???

I got 3 sets of +2s done within 2 months. They r pretty easy. *** people who complained/bitched abt how hard this game is. If its too hard, don't play and move on. /facepalm
[+]
 Sylph.Cossack
By Sylph.Cossack 2011-04-13 18:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Solara said:

Actually, your nationality does matter when it comes to idioms, as they typically are created within national social contexts (in this case a popular song that is decades old) and do not readily translate. For example I wouldn't say "Bob's your uncle" to an American, because most wouldn't have a clue what it meant.

I'm American and my uncle's name is Bob. For real Solara, your argument is superior in every way, tone, material and context, but Angelkisses has *** so you lose.
[+]
 Sylph.Cossack
By Sylph.Cossack 2011-04-13 18:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Selennia said:

I'm guessing from his past actions that he doesn't like vagina very much and doesn't like us talking about it, so yea, sssshhhhhhusssshhh.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-04-13 19:00:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't complain about Abyssea, I mean some people put effort in and got close to nothing in return. Lines for Adaberks we're kind of long.

Killing my first set of King's was awesome but got very tiring due to spawn times and such.

Einherjar was pretty fun but got pretty boring.

The same goes for Salvage to be honest. You could *** slap every NM and Boss many, many times and go unrewarded (0/117 on QQA for Deimos Cuirass)

It seems like as my life got more hectic and busy, things evened out in game. While back when I started I had a lot of time to piss away and didn't mind it much. I wouldn't call myself casual but it's nice getting ***done and GTFO. The worst you have to put up with is people camping some NM that pops every 15 minutes.
 Fenrir.Schutz
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2011-04-13 19:03:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bismarck.Nevill said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Asura.Selennia said:

This is not necessarily a bad thing. Those who put in more effort should get better rewards.

Besides, there were only a handful of endgame items that could be considered significant increases over their next best options. And since 90%+ of old content was lowmannable at 75, you weren't completely out of luck on the major items unless you literally did nothing but play solo. If that's the case, why are you playing a MMO?

That's what I liked about Cryptic MMO games like CoH and Champions Online. They put in this "difficulty slider" setting to allow for levels of gameplay, which would affect mob abilities/reaction time/HP/power settings/level differences, etc. from regular mobs to bosses.

While it came across as somewhat artificial at first, it was actually a pretty neat MMO innovation, in that they could then tie special item drop rates and rewards to the higher tier difficulty settings. That way all content could be experienced at easier settings, with the high-risk-to-reward-ratio gear drops that appealed to collector or goal-oriented mentality players (or those liking challenging fights) there also. They could even have extra content unlocked only for the highest level difficulty set players. Was rather smart, IMHO.
 Asura.Ziekwalt
user: Eirza
By Asura.Ziekwalt 2011-04-13 19:06:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Degeneration said:
Is this for real???

I got 3 sets of +2s done within 2 months. They r pretty easy. *** people who complained/bitched abt how hard this game is. If its too hard, don't play and move on. /facepalm
People will still complain even after they make it easier just because not many people get the hours to play a day on the game due to whatever real life stuff going on.
 Sylph.Cossack
By Sylph.Cossack 2011-04-13 19:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Schutz said:
That's what I liked about Cryptic MMO games like CoH and Champions Online. They put in this "difficulty slider" setting to allow for levels of gameplay, which would affect mob abilities/reaction time/HP/power settings/level differences etc.

While it came across as somewhat artificial at first, it was actually a pretty neat MMO innovation, in that they could then tie drop rates and rewards to the higher tier difficulty settings. That way all content could be experienced at easier settings, with the high-risk-to-reward-ratio gear drops that appealed to collector or goal-oriented mentality players (or those liking challenging fights) there also. They could even have extra content unlocked only for the highest level difficulty set players. Was rather smart, IMHO.

That wouldn't appeal to the people who complain about the difficulty of old ffxi, they want the best of the best and they want to get it with a minimum of effort.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-04-13 19:12:04
Link | Quote | Reply

There's nothing wrong with more casual players (casual being defined as relatively low playtime, not low skill) being able to get the same items over time. Timesink =/= difficulty and the old effort/reward ratios were frankly appalling.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-13 19:18:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
There's nothing wrong with more casual players (casual being defined as relatively low playtime, not low skill) being able to get the same items over time. Timesink =/= difficulty and the old effort/reward ratios were frankly appalling.

I agree completely. I've only been playing XI again for a few days, and I've got SO much more done in the last few days than I would have been able to in old content.

It makes it easier to take breaks and start up again, and frankly that makes it more fun.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-13 19:24:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Asura.Selennia said:

That is the problem with them. They want the best gear in the game for only putting in an hour worth of time.

If casual gamer 1 is named C and "hardcore" gamer 2 is name H.

if C puts X amount of time into the game they will receive Y amount of reward.

if H puts 5(X) amount of time into the game they will receive ≥ 5(Y)

So what's the problem with that? H player puts in more time they still get more rewards than player C, shouldn't player H still be happy? Or are you telling me that player H can ONLY be happy if player C doesn't get ***unless they put in equal amount of time as H? because... if so that's just lame.

Leviathan.Draylo said:

I agree, 3 hours a week is not much time at all, if we're just talking about 3-5 than I'm in full agreement with you on this.

But there needs to be a middle ground. I personally am lucky to get 16-20 hours a week on around my existing schedule, I wouldn't be fortunate enough to have my playing schedule go around pop schedules etc. I don't think it's a lot of time to play but I do think it's a decent amount of time to play a game, I should still be allowed to have fun. I can't get a ***ton of stuff done every week I go at my own pace and that's cool many other people have all these sets of +2 gear and an empy or two because they're able to dedicate more time, I think that's fair they should have more* (note I did not say better) top ***than I because they're able to dedicate more time to playing

But having to put in 40 hours a week just to get decent or some of the good ***is lame. Also I'm not buying any of this "oh you're logged in for 40hrs but tons of time is afk because of HNM windows" if you need to be logged in or need to get to your computer quickly it's taking time up which some HNM fans cling to.
 Quetzalcoatl.Degeneration
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Degeneration 2011-04-13 19:27:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ziekwalt said:
Is this for real???

People will still complain even after they make it easier just because not many people get the hours to play a day on the game due to whatever real life stuff going on.
If they complain just because of hours they can't have to play this game. Srsly, you can just grab friends and duo or trio most of NMs for seals or full party for +2s NMs in 1-3 hours if u can. Full pink/teal/etc full time = no thanks. I rather to play with old gears from endgame than playing with those gimp gears. Sorry.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-13 19:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ziekwalt said:
Is this for real???

If they complain just because of hours they can't have to play this game. Srsly, you can just grab friends and duo or trio most of NMs for seals or full party for +2s NMs in 1-3 hours if u can. Full pink/teal/etc full time = no thanks. I rather to play with old gears from endgame than playing with those gimp gears. Sorry.

Attitudes like this would kill the game. Lucky we have a development team with a brain in charge.
 Phoenix.Fondue
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-04-13 19:34:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said:
I can't complain about Abyssea, I mean some people put effort in and got close to nothing in return. Lines for Adaberks we're kind of long.

Killing my first set of King's was awesome but got very tiring due to spawn times and such.

Einherjar was pretty fun but got pretty boring.

The same goes for Salvage to be honest. You could *** slap every NM and Boss many, many times and go unrewarded (0/117 on QQA for Deimos Cuirass)

It seems like as my life got more hectic and busy, things evened out in game. While back when I started I had a lot of time to piss away and didn't mind it much. I wouldn't call myself casual but it's nice getting ***done and GTFO. The worst you have to put up with is people camping some NM that pops every 15 minutes.

1/1 on astrologer

umad bro
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8