On A Lighter Note...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » On a lighter note...
On a lighter note...
First Page 2 3
By zahrah 2011-03-14 22:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

So, what races/jobs did everyone choose and why? (Going back to your primary character.)

Embarrassed to say, but mine was purely based on aesthetics. Elvaan. Why? Hume was too run of the mill. Aren't we all humes anyway? Mithras seemed like Japanese jack-off material. Tarus too cute.

As for a job, WHM. At the time, I was told that everyone needed a WHM.
 Asura.Xenophire
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Xenophire
By Asura.Xenophire 2011-03-14 22:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Tarutaru. Mainly for the stats. Summoner was my first job I leveled to 75. I was always so fascinated with the Espers/Eidolons/Aeons/Summons when I played the series. They were always such a powerful job, and then I played it on XI and was pretty disappointed. Being new to the game, I was unable to solo my Avatars wit Carbuncle, so I quit my Taru and made an Elvaan and started to level Monk. However, in a Dunes party, someone offered to help me with the fights in the Prime battles, and I just stayed with it.

It sucks, I was wanting to level my Elvaan, too!
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-03-14 22:20:52
Link | Quote | Reply

played paladin because my freind auro had played for a long time and said it was an excellent first job because of the quick party invites.

he was right about that, but he didn't mention there were few less desirable jobs to have at 75 before you had a chance to get anything that didn't come off the ah

i played galka because he told me they made the best paladins
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2011-03-14 22:25:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Elvaan dunno why I picked it, but I wish I could change my hair now. I took NIN to 75 1st through highs and lows for the job, IDK I always wanted to be a ninja so that probably has something to do with it.

BTW I was talking to my buddies about haste NIN when most people would have given BRD kitty pants over NIN. Used to be Evasion only. I miss them days.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Daleterrence
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-03-14 22:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I was a Hume originally.. But after awhile I got bored and made an Elvaan. Stuck with him since.
 Sylph.Annex
Server: Sylph
user: Annex
By Sylph.Annex 2011-03-14 22:31:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Hume for the well-rounded stats. I new I wanted to play different jobs.

However my first job to 75 (before level cap raise) was whm. I actually enjoyed the randomness of it and it kept me on my toes. I also enjoyed being helpful and healing...even when I am on blm or war/dnc i get the urge to run up to people and heal them. I PLed a random party once when i was skilling up gs and scythe in qufim when i was war/dnc. Well i had to do something with all that tp and I sure as hell didnt need to heal myself. XD
 Asura.Fondue
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2011-03-14 22:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

first char was a bearded hume

leveled every job to 15 or so and then made a taru cause taru are the ***and spent 2 years soloing blm to 75 lol I'd log in, kill 3 or 4 leeches and then get raped and have to homepoint since i didnt have money for a reraise thing and then i'd die again walking back to whatever shitty camp there was. aydeewa subterrane qiqirns were the greatest thing that ever happened to me
By Asura.Leonlionheart 2011-03-14 22:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Hume because I was 12 and wanted it to seem like it was me inside the game... Now I wish I was Elvaan just for the way they swing two handed weapons, feels like they put a lot more into it.

I started leveling Paladin to 50 first just so I could wear Iron Musketeer armor cause it looked so cool.

Then I leveled MNK because of how much raw power it had. I remember being in a King Ranp's party at 54ish with WHM RDM DRG THF PLD me as MNK, and the PLD asking me to take off my Brown Belt or my Okote so I wouldn't pull hate, and drain the healer's MP. Funnest party I ever had leveling a job, other than BLU burns at 74 on the sperm in beaucedine S.
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2011-03-14 22:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't know what jobs I wanted to play and assumed race played a bigger deal initially, so Hume seemed like the way to go.

Chose the smug looking black-haired hume with the ***-eating grin, dude looked like hilarious draw material.

[+]
 Bismarck.Henihhi
Server: Bismarck
user: Henihhi
By Bismarck.Henihhi 2011-03-14 22:38:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Mithra- cuz it looked like my pet cat. RDM because ive always been more mage oriented in every ff that allowed it lol
 Lakshmi.Dobbykk
Server: Lakshmi
user: Dobbykk
By Lakshmi.Dobbykk 2011-03-14 22:40:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Tarutaru, because their freaking adorable.

I had no idea stats were different for races, didn't even care when I found out.

My first job was WAR, leveled it to 30 picked up DRK then I hated that and played RDM to 75. After that it was history because I soon retired my RDM. I never really had a "first" job that I enjoyed I guess. :(
By zahrah 2011-03-14 22:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lot's of elvaan so far! Nice! We can't forget that we're the uber-sexy race also! LOL!

Quote:
I also enjoyed being helpful and healing...even when I am on blm or war/dnc i get the urge to run up to people and heal them.

Me too! I love raining down destruction with my BLM, but I always find myself unable to resist the healer instinct.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-03-14 22:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Elvaan. I wanted to be something close-to-home but not bland/fat humes.

I think last Vana-Census I was actually in an extreme minority of Elvaan Males who picked the Small Frame too.
 Valefor.Kungg
Server: Valefor
user: Kung
By Valefor.Kungg 2011-03-14 22:45:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Let me be the second :( :( Galka then!

I chose Galka because I'm a rather larg guy 6'6 around 310 lbs <.<;
I was drawn to Rng so that was the first job to 75.. I am a Elvaan now and miss all my Galka HPz :'(

doh! Sevourn looks to be the first Galka ;=;
 Fenrir.Enternius
Server: Fenrir
user: Enternius
By Fenrir.Enternius 2011-03-14 22:54:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Hume because I'm not fat, not gay, and not (too) annoying. That meant Galka, Elvaan, and Taru were out of the question.

Never once considered female races even though that seems like the cool thing to do nowadays. Play a female >> Get free stuff, win lots, and get drops.

As for job, I had the intention of leveling DRG first so I started as WAR, then bought a spear. Decided that was too boring.

I got WAR to 30 and figured I'd unlock DRK because I heard you have to use WAR to unlock it. Stuck with that to 75.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-03-14 23:02:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Galkas are buff, Humes are fat.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2011-03-14 23:11:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Galkas are buff, Humes are fat.
I disagree. Neither are fat, and if they are, then Elvaans are anorexic. Large humes are stretched though, as are most of the large variants of races.

I played every race to 30 before finally deciding on hume. Small with every single one of them, except for Tarutaru. I really loved Great Axe, so I stuck with Warrior, and boy was the going slow to 75. I got lots of hate for using Great Axe in EXP parties post 55 in 05 and 06.
 Fenrir.Enternius
By Fenrir.Enternius 2011-03-14 23:12:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless you're referring to this kind of hume, I'm just not seeing it.

Galka undoubtedly have muscles, that's undeniable, but they also have huge stomachs. Humes don't.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-03-14 23:15:48
Link | Quote | Reply

See, fatty humes.

Honestly, I was more referring to how they are animated, especially in breathing. They just look like they are under unnecessary strain, and thus look/feel fat.

Also, if I could have picked the epic "Wilhelm fatty" Hume model, I would have just to see that lardass use Caladbolg.
 Fenrir.Kut
user: Kutsurabi
By Fenrir.Kut 2011-03-14 23:17:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I chose hume. A big part of me liked being well rounded, but not great at any specific thing, which hume represented stat wise and not really sticking out too much as opposed to all of the "non-ordinary" races.

The same influences also applied to my job choices, I liked jobs that could do multiple things, and at the time I was also interested in Dragons, thus my first choice of job, Dragoon. I liked that it was a DD that was also able to solo well and even heal.
That being said, all this lead to my next main (when it came out), Blue Mage, a physical mage that can be either a physical DD, a magical DD, or even a healer, puller, or tank. I loved exploring new ways to play these jobs (especially BLU).
 Fenrir.Horsebreath
By Fenrir.Horsebreath 2011-03-14 23:20:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Galka Monk to start off with, mostly because i thought it looked cool to have a big hulk of a character pulverize stuff with my fists, but then i changed to Warrior, not sure exactly why... Maybe because Great Axes look really cool. War was my first to 75, then Sam , Smn. But Ninja, Ninja was supposed to be a subjob simply because I lacked the money for constantly using tools. But now that it is 90 and I see how fast I can swing, I'd take my NIN over my WAR any day, any scenario. I picked MNK back up though and it's pretty fun too.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2011-03-14 23:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll give you the breathing. It annoys me to have my guy sit still, because his chest heaves a lot. Yet, I couldn't stand the way Elvaan's gyrate their arms when they breathe. Elvaan's totally got the most bad *** Great Sword stance ever though. No contest. 2nd favorite race because of that fact alone.
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-03-14 23:24:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Mithra. "They are known for their energy, curiosity, and their penchant for causing playful mischief."

I was won by the description on the instruction book (Playful race? Half human, half cat? More importantly, boobies to stare at when equipping armor?!?) and the fact I wanted to start as THF furthered my choice.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-03-14 23:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said:
I'll give you the breathing. It annoys me to have my guy sit still, because his chest heaves a lot. Yet, I couldn't stand the way Elvaan's gyrate their arms when they breathe. Elvaan's totally got the most bad *** Great Sword stance ever though. No contest. 2nd favorite race because of that fact alone.

I actually think they have the worst Greatsword Stance. It just so exposed.

Best Scythe, GKT, Katana (1 or 2) and Gun stances though!

Honestly, no Race really holds the Greatsword right, Hume Female probably come the closest.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2011-03-14 23:27:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Asura.Vyre said:
I actually think they have the worst Greatsword Stance. It just so exposed. Best Scythe, GKT, Katana (1 or 2) and Gun stances though! Honestly, no Race really holds the Greatsword right, Hume Female probably come the closest.
Correctly? Ehh, I was shooting for "looks cool." I can't stand how female hume holds any weapon. They look like they struggle under the weight of everything.
 Fenrir.Enternius
By Fenrir.Enternius 2011-03-14 23:29:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Hurr durr
[+]
By zahrah 2011-03-14 23:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
More importantly, boobies to stare at when equipping armor?!?) and the fact I wanted to start as THF furthered my choice.

And there is an example of why I didn't choose a mithra.
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-03-14 23:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:

I actually think they have the worst Greatsword Stance. It just so exposed.

Best Scythe, GKT, Katana (1 or 2) and Gun stances though!

Honestly, no Race really holds the Greatsword right, Hume Female probably come the closest.

Mithras hold GS the best way imo. You really get the idea they're kinda hurting. That and Ground Strike animation is unparalleled.
I'll agree Elvaans hold guns nicely.
One handed weapons don't look as good as 2h, but it gets much better than the average if you DW them.
Mithra NIN or THF DWing Katanas and Daggers look great imo
 Fenrir.Enternius
By Fenrir.Enternius 2011-03-14 23:30:32
Link | Quote | Reply

You said aesthetically, and then you contradicting yourself saying Mithra actually look good so you didn't pick them.
First Page 2 3