Is Bard Even Worth It?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Is bard even worth it?
Is bard even worth it?
First Page 2 3
 Titan.Tearxx
Server: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: Tearxx
By Titan.Tearxx 2011-03-13 19:30:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I just came back about a week ago, and my main used to be Bard. But looking around at abyssea parties and such, i havent seen very many and wonder if its even worth it to take it up. And even still, which jobs are worth it to have at cap now?
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-13 19:32:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Play what you enjoy. As far as worth it, BRD is still a BRD. They speed up fights. They are just not as useful as they once were because most fights now consist of procing the various !! instead of killing fast from 100 to 0. Any job that you enjoy would be worth it... don't have to go mainstream jobs. If you really wanna do one though I would suggest MNK WHM THF BLU BLM NIN WAR.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-13 19:32:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Get empyrean and rock 3 songs!
[+]
 Odin.Lowblow
Server: Odin
user: sKe7ch
By Odin.Lowblow 2011-03-13 19:33:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Brd is still fantastic in and outside of abyssea. Its not a required job to make things work by anymeans. But it does speed things up. And can help sleep,buff, proc yellow. So its not useless.
[+]
 Unicorn.Leoheart
Server: Unicorn
user: Leoheart
By Unicorn.Leoheart 2011-03-13 19:33:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Tearxx said:
I just came back about a week ago, and my main used to be Bard. But looking around at abyssea parties and such, i havent seen very many and wonder if its even worth it to take it up. And even still, which jobs are worth it to have at cap now?

Marches are still great, I dont know much about brd besides that though.
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-03-13 19:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Marches are awesome, and BRD/BLM lets your BLM sub RDM!
 Leviathan.Novax
user: Novax
By Leviathan.Novax 2011-03-13 19:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Brd will probably be used more after the abyssea era is over.
 Titan.Tearxx
By Titan.Tearxx 2011-03-13 19:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The mainstream jobs are the ones that actually are able to solo most things, with the exception of SCH and RDM because they can kite. Maybe i should do bard to have it and then one of the mainstream jobs to get things done.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-03-13 19:35:43
Link | Quote | Reply

elegy's still nice, march can be nice

if you are really dedicated you can work a spellcast that allows you to dd while you sing and with proper atmas you can actually do some respectable damage

all that said if you were maining bard to be eternally useful/sought after, then no, change to whm
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-13 19:36:10
Link | Quote | Reply

If you really plan on soloing things do what most people who take 30 mins to solo one NM do, DNC or NIN/DNC.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-03-13 19:36:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Brd is still a good job, it's just not required. So you may be sitting out of things that people want to go w/ the absolute minimum to.
[+]
 Asura.Raignes
Server: Asura
user: Raignes
By Asura.Raignes 2011-03-13 19:38:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nemesio said:

I must have missed something. Why would a BLM sub anything else but RDM or SCH...? Dunno about you, but seeing a BLM/BRD would make me wanna kill the idiot doing so. Hi2u never landing threnodies for procs.
 Leviathan.Novax
By Leviathan.Novax 2011-03-13 19:39:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Raignes said:
Ragnarok.Nemesio said:

I must have missed something. Why would a BLM sub anything else but RDM or SCH...? Dunno about you, but seeing a BLM/BRD would make me wanna kill the idiot doing so. Hi2u never landing threnodies for procs.

Elemental Seal?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2011-03-13 19:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Raignes said:
Ragnarok.Nemesio said:

Ele seal?
 Titan.Tearxx
By Titan.Tearxx 2011-03-13 19:39:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, NIN or DNC seems like the best options. So many people have NIN now, its rediculous. @ sevourn i actually was making a brd DD set before i left, maybe ill work at it again^^
 Asura.Raignes
By Asura.Raignes 2011-03-13 19:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Once every 10 minutes, sure. How about between then? Unless you want to only fight NMs once every 10 minutes.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-13 19:39:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Raignes said:
Ragnarok.Nemesio said:

lol
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-13 19:40:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Raignes said:
Once every 10 minutes, sure. How about between then? Unless you want to only fight NMs once every 10 minutes.

Seriously, get out...
[+]
 Asura.Raignes
By Asura.Raignes 2011-03-13 19:41:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I just got told to get out by Draylo... onoez.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-03-13 19:41:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Raignes said:
1.5625% chance of !! proc being bard twice in a row.

Those are good enough odds for me to be willing to hold the mob for ele seal to be up again.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-13 19:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Raignes said:
Assuming it is always a threnody and that it takes you less than 10 min to proc and kill and wait for ??? respawn... then sure
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2011-03-13 19:42:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Raignes said:

You dont just say oh hey its thunder let me ele seal brd song first before we try every single thing else. and if u get screwed n get brd b2b thats what temp item revites are for. Unless youre one of those ppl who are jewish about using temp items u get back randomly anyways
 Cerberus.Vaness
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-03-13 19:43:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Well lol, I dunno every1 always make me come brd.I make the fights easier with ballad/march/carols sometimes mambo if we holding.Over the 10 jobs I got, I'm always brd inside abyssea or outside and not just for "trigger".So I dunno, seeing every1 comments and I'm like xD maybe my friends are crazy, I dunno.

EDIT: Oh I forgot to say that I'm also a "kind of" co-mage.Helping the whm out with haste,paralynas and trow a 560 ish cure 4 once in a while.Not very usefull when you just have 1 person on a mob, but it can be very usefull in some certain situation.(like the whm got a brain fart! xD)
 Asura.Raignes
By Asura.Raignes 2011-03-13 19:44:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Asura.Raignes said:

Those are good enough odds for me to be willing to hold the mob for ele seal to be up again.

Then the group I'm going with must be a huge statistical anomaly. 3-4 times in a row is pretty commonplace for us. Seems FFXI or SE just doesn't want us to proc.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-03-13 19:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Raignes said:
I just got told to get out by Draylo... onoez.

draylo might not be popular but in this case he's right
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-03-13 19:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vaness said:
Well lol, I dunno every1 always make me come brd.I make the fights easier with ballad/march/carols sometimes mambo if we holding.Over the 10 jobs I got, I'm always brd inside abyssea or outside and not just for "trigger".So I dunno, seeing every1 comments and I'm like xD maybe my friends are crazy, I dunno.

no one ever wants me on bard anymore ;_;

and i LIKE coming bard
 Leviathan.Novax
By Leviathan.Novax 2011-03-13 19:45:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Raignes said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Asura.Raignes said:

Then the group I'm going with must be a huge statistical anomaly. 3-4 times in a row is pretty commonplace for us. Seems FFXI or SE just doesn't want us to proc.

POIDH
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-03-13 19:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Raignes said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Asura.Raignes said:

If you're even telling the truth, that is the case

The proc is random, equal chance at all 8. 12.5% chance each round to be bard. Which is 12-13 out of 100 !! procs, but the chance to get them consecutively, yea not that high of a chance.

Can you get 3-4 in a row, sure. It being "commonplace" = anomaly
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-13 19:47:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Raignes said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Asura.Raignes said:

Says the guy still using pcc on mnk. Seems you are just a retard :/
[+]
 Asura.Raignes
By Asura.Raignes 2011-03-13 19:48:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Then it didn't happen because I don't exactly take pix of unlucky happenings like that.

Dunno, I'd rather just have a BRD come and potentially split the drops. They can do ***other than proc. Marches, Mambo if the THF/DNC/NIN is pink and can't evade or whatever.
First Page 2 3