Natural Disasters = Don't Play Games.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Natural Disasters = Don't play games.
Natural Disasters = Don't play games.
First Page 2 3 4 5
By wintermute0 2011-03-13 18:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

So, from what I'm gathering... some people don't like it when people complain about the FFXI servers being down because Japan just got hit with an Earthquake/Tsunami.

Well, to everyone on their high horse telling people to stop QQing about the servers being down because there's more important matters at hand: what were you doing when Haiti was rocked by that Earthquake last year? Did you stop playing your MMOS/Vidyagames when that happened? You know, out of respect...? If you didn't, shouldn't you've?

Actually, here's a list of all the major Earthquakes that happened in 2010. What were you doing during those? Hopefully you weren't playing Final Fantasy XI!

Don't get me wrong; Earthquakes suck. I wouldn't want one to happen where I live. But do you honestly expect everyone who's playing FFXI to really give a damn? I mean, wtf were the Japanese doing when Hurricane Katrina one-shot New Orleans? I hope they weren't playing WoW! That would've been disrespectful!
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-13 18:19:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Inb4 the "You're QQing" comments.

I don't have a problem with people bitching about the servers being down exactly.. However, I do find it annoying that everyone who's so addicted to this game start turning into a bunch of babies when the game goes down.

To them I offer the following advice.

"***happens, deal with it."
[+]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2011-03-13 18:20:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Wat
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-13 18:21:00
Link | Quote | Reply

It's people being overbearing carebears. I'm sure everyone feels it in some way but berating people for posting on a forum or playing games or going through their lives normally is silly. Why are those people on forums then instead of rushing out to aid Japan or spread awareness of ways to aid them? Bit hypocritical.
[+]
 Siren.Kittyhawk
Server: Siren
user: Kittyhawk
By Siren.Kittyhawk 2011-03-13 18:26:02
Link | Quote | Reply

those earthquakes did not affect the people in questions lives, so they didn't have too much of a concern.

of course they're going to be upset FFXI got knocked out in the Japan quake, it directly affects them due to addiction/lack of other things to do in the meantime

if the earthquake in say, haiti had taken down the FFXI servers you'd have heard the same upset voices. i don't understand what you're getting at, OP.
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-13 18:27:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kittyhawk said:
those earthquakes did not affect the people in questions lives, so they didn't have too much of a concern.

of course they're going to be upset FFXI got knocked out in the Japan quake, it directly affects them due to addiction/lack of other things to do in the meantime

if the earthquake in say, haiti had taken down the FFXI servers you'd have heard upset voices. i don't understand what you're getting at, OP.
Justification for crying about the game being down, obviously.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-13 18:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure its about how people are accusing others of not caring when they are going through their normal days and posting on a forum/playing games.
[+]
 Phoenix.Morier
Server: Phoenix
user: Morier
By Phoenix.Morier 2011-03-13 18:29:10
Link | Quote | Reply

OP is a *** retard. The ff servers arent in haiti they are in japan. They didnt shut the game down out of respect they shut it down to conserve power. As requested by their government. Idiot.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2011-03-13 18:30:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Dude, it's not about respect. That's just HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. If our servers were in Haiti, then yes we would have done the same. Honestly, the truth is we can't do much for them, save send money and even then with so much *** and sinister people out there, we can't even be sure that they'll get that money. What the hell good would a couple days of stopping the game do for Haiti, exactly? Not a damn bit. The bottom line is, Japan needs that power for rebuilding efforts.

So deal with the loss, have a beer and do something else with your time.
[+]
 Leviathan.Erang
user: Erang
By Leviathan.Erang 2011-03-13 18:31:24
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, pick up a p90x... haeheahahe
[+]
 Valefor.Leith
user: Leith
By Valefor.Leith 2011-03-13 18:31:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Morier said:
OP is a *** retard. The ff servers arent in haiti they are in japan. They didnt shut the game down out of respect they shut it down to conserve power. As requested by their government. Idiot.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-03-13 18:32:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Morier said:
OP is a *** retard
[+]
 Sylph.Liltrouble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2011-03-13 18:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

We take way too many things for granted. When the system message came up in game I was horrified. Not for the loss of the game, but the severity of the situation in Japan. It brought reality into focus and I was drawn back in time to 9/11. We can lament on the failings of the people of japan, but we need to realize our own failings in considering their trauma.
[+]
 Caitsith.Sai
Server: Caitsith
user: Saiii
By Caitsith.Sai 2011-03-13 18:34:42
Link | Quote | Reply

ITT: Idiots who can't read the OP.

[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2011-03-13 18:35:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd compare it to if your girlfriend's mother died, making her terribly upset, and you go "Damn, that means I'm not getting sex tonight." The earthquake is just on a much larger scale, obviously.

I personally think it's disrespectful/selfish to only consider the consequences that affect YOU instead of thinking globally, when it comes to natural disasters.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but that is what I think.
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2011-03-13 18:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If anything I played was based in Haiti, yes I would support the servers being shut down. It's a matter of civil responsibility that SE shut the servers down because other people need the electricity more than a video game company. Like you know, hospitals and grocery stores and emergency relief efforts.

I'm sorry that you can't get your e-crack, but there are people who need the resources a lot more than SE does right now.

If I had any kind of skills that would help the relief effort in Japan, you can bet I'd be the first to volunteer. Sadly I doubt they're in need of a bunch of untrained civilians flocking to Japan right now, especially with the shortage of food and other vital supplies. So for now all I (and most average people) can do is offer our understanding/support/sympathy.
[+]
By wintermute0 2011-03-13 18:37:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Pretty sure its about how people are accusing others of not caring when they are going through their normal days and posting on a forum/playing games.

This.

It just grinds my gears that people go all high and mighty on people who complain about the servers being down when they obviously don't give a ***. I should've known that getting this point across on an internet forum in the form of sarcasm would go above a few too many people's heads, but *** it.
 Leviathan.Powerslave
By Leviathan.Powerslave 2011-03-13 18:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much what everyone else has already said.

It's not like SE was like "Oh, Earthquake in Japan, feel bad.....shutting down for a bit." The servers were taken down because it was NECESSARY, and it's annoying seeing a bunch of cry babies complaining because their video game is being taken away for a short amount of time for a good reason.

Jackass.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-03-13 18:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

All I ask is that people don't post crap like "they deserved it for not being Christian" as I saw here initially.

You don't have to care, but you also don't have to be a ***.
[+]
 Caitsith.Sai
Server: Caitsith
user: Saiii
By Caitsith.Sai 2011-03-13 18:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Liltrouble said:
We take way too many things for granted. When the system message came up in game I was horrified. Not for the loss of the game, but the severity of the situation in Japan. It brought reality into focus and I was drawn back in time to 9/11. We can lament on the failings of the people of japan, but we need to realize our own failings in considering their trauma.

You don't expect people to actually believe that right?

It wasn't the the live news feeds of video of the earthquake itself or of the tsunami rolling inland, or even of people freaking out about the nuc plants that caused you to realize the severity of their situation?

It was the warning msg that the servers might be taken down that brought it all into focus? Really? REALLY?

Servers going down made you flashback to 9/11? REALLY?

Today we learn about people who so desperately want every one else to believe they care about something that they will not think about in ~4 days time that they will say stupid ***that makes no *** sense.
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-13 18:41:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Sai said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:

You don't expect people to actually believe that right?

It wasn't the the live news feeds of video of the earthquake itself or of the tsunami rolling inland, or even of people freaking out about the nuc plants that caused you to realize the severity of their situation?

It was the warning msg that the servers might be taken down that brought it all into focus? Really? REALLY?

Servers going down made you flashback to 9/11? REALLY?

Today we learn about people who so desperately want every one else to believe they care about something that they will not think about in ~4 days time that they will say stupid ***that makes no *** sense.
Hey, drug addicts rarely look at the world around them while they're still on said drugs.. Everything is about the high, it's only once it's taken away that they pay attention to the world around them.

Lol, that's like the only argument I could think of to support his view.
By wintermute0 2011-03-13 18:44:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
All I ask is that people don't post crap like "they deserved it for not being Christian" as I saw here initially.

You don't have to care, but you also don't have to be a ***.

Just to clarify: I'm not trying to be a ***. I'm just pointing something out that I've picked up upon while browsing through some of the threads about the topic at hand.
[+]
 Bismarck.Hisagi
user: junpei87
By Bismarck.Hisagi 2011-03-13 18:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

i dont know why ppl QQing about not able to play ffxi.... is just a game.... and it will come back, think about those jps that got hit by tsunami/earthquake
Too many selfish ppl this days
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-13 18:46:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Hisagi said:
i dont know why ppl QQing about not able to play ffxi.... is just a game.... and it will come back, think about those jps that got hit by tsunami/earthquake
According to OP you should be out there helping in relief efforts, not talking down on someone complaining about the servers being down.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-03-13 18:46:57
Link | Quote | Reply

wintermute0 said:
Just to clarify: I'm not trying to be a ***. I'm just pointing something out that I've picked up upon while browsing through some of the threads about the topic at hand.
Sorry, my comment was directed more just to stuff I've had to scrub from the boards over the last few days in general.

When you see how badly some folks have been behaving, it's understandable that some react in the opposite way and expect everyone to turn into instant saints to counterbalance it.
[+]
 Alexander.Deadlydiva
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Deadlydiva 2011-03-13 18:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
All I ask is that people don't post crap like "they deserved it for not being Christian" as I saw here initially. You don't have to care, but you also don't have to be a ***.
Agreed.. People have that choice to care and not care, but it doesn't make you the cool kid to bash the situation.

[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2011-03-13 18:47:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Caitsith.Sai said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
You don't expect people to actually believe that right? It wasn't the the live news feeds of video of the earthquake itself or of the tsunami rolling inland, or even of people freaking out about the nuc plants that caused you to realize the severity of their situation? It was the warning msg that the servers might be taken down that brought it all into focus? Really? REALLY? Servers going down made you flashback to 9/11? REALLY? Today we learn about people who so desperately want every one else to believe they care about something that they will not think about in ~4 days time that they will say stupid ***that makes no *** sense.
Hey, drug addicts rarely look at the world around them while they're still on said drugs.. Everything is about the high, it's only once it's taken away that they pay attention to the world around them. Lol, that's like the only argument I could think of to support his view.

Actually, I think I can support this.

When something bad happens, especially when it doesn't involve us, we often shrug it off and just say "Oh, it will get better." We don't think globally.

He discovered how severe the situation was when a worldwide service was shut down to support the Japanese. It was then that we figured out, "Wow, this really IS bad, it led to this."

It's the realization of how bad this truly is, that it has even affected us. I can understand what he is saying, but I can't effectively describe it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2011-03-13 18:50:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Hisagi said:
According to OP you should be out there helping in relief efforts, not talking down on someone complaining about the servers being down.

So why is he here complaining about other people? Why isn't he in Japan helping the relief effort?

(Pot, Kettle, Black)
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-03-13 18:51:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Lots of nonsense threads are still to come. This is what happens when you take 200,000 addicts off of their drug. It will get worse before it gets better.
 Bismarck.Hisagi
user: junpei87
By Bismarck.Hisagi 2011-03-13 18:52:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Bismarck.Hisagi said:

So why is he here complaining about other people? Why isn't he in Japan helping the relief effort?

(Pot, Kettle, Black)
Sounds HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE x.x I would help if something happen here in italy not so far away..
First Page 2 3 4 5