Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-03-11 16:25:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
#
2156: The Onagawa nuclear power plant also suffered a fire in a non-nuclear turbine building, which took eight hours to extinguish, according to the World Nuclear Association. A minor fire burned in a non-nuclear service building of the Fukushima-Daini plant, but this was extinguished within two hours, the WNA added.
missed this one
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-03-11 16:26:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Degs said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Minus the circumstances to how it came about, what's going on in the reactor is exactly what happened in the Ukraine with Chernobyl, while Japan is undoubtedly better prepared to deal with such a worst-case scenario, land isn't exactly in abundance on the islands, so a disaster like radioactive contamination could really hit them hard, especially if unfavorable winds carried radiation towards dense population centers.
they were talking about this also on the radio, that with technology and advancements its very possible they can keep this under control... however if they cannot, and radiation leaks occur, that winds could actually carry this into asia, and even to the western U.S

Chernobyl's radiation was spread damn near across the entire northern hemisphere, not to downplay the severity, but it doesn't exactly burn everything it touches. Hell, the Area around the Chernobyl site now is thriving with wildlife, none of which, save the Coyotes, look like anything you'd see in Fallout, the standard operation of Coal burning plants has caused more environmental damage than even Chernobyl or SRE (Sodium Reactor Experiment).

It's still a bad situation, but I've seen some doomsayers say "End of the world inc" over this, and aside from happening twice in the world already, it's not the instant kill-switch people are making it out to be.
 Sylph.Eurra
Server: Sylph
user: Eurra
By Sylph.Eurra 2011-03-11 16:26:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Taazy said:
Have been watching this since last night when it was first reported. OMFG what devastation....I couldn't believe it when I saw the tsunami sweep thru a village and wash it away.

BTW there were some fools out here in SoCal.....Seal Beach that tried to go surfing.......IDIOTS

To be honest, I have noticed a lot of SoCal people, least the ones I happen to talk to (which is a lot considering the medium) most of which have had no clue as to the events that happen yesterday. Little alone that there was a Tsunami advisory/warning issued to certain areas.
 Phoenix.Degs
Server: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2011-03-11 16:29:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Phoenix.Degs said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Minus the circumstances to how it came about, what's going on in the reactor is exactly what happened in the Ukraine with Chernobyl, while Japan is undoubtedly better prepared to deal with such a worst-case scenario, land isn't exactly in abundance on the islands, so a disaster like radioactive contamination could really hit them hard, especially if unfavorable winds carried radiation towards dense population centers.
they were talking about this also on the radio, that with technology and advancements its very possible they can keep this under control... however if they cannot, and radiation leaks occur, that winds could actually carry this into asia, and even to the western U.S

Chernobyl's radiation was spread damn near across the entire northern hemisphere, not to downplay the severity, but it doesn't exactly burn everything it touches. Hell, the Area around the Chernobyl site now is thriving with wildlife, none of which, save the Coyotes, look like anything you'd see in Fallout, the standard operation of Coal burning plants has caused more environmental damage than even Chernobyl or SRE (Sodium Reactor Experiment).

It's still a bad situation, but I've seen some doomsayers say "End of the world inc" over this, and aside from happening twice in the world already, it's not the instant kill-switch people are making it out to be.
like you said though, they dont have a huge area over there to disperse the population of an affected area.. it would probably be difficult for quite some time, if it does occur
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2011-03-11 16:29:52
Link | Quote | Reply

More on the radiation levels at Fukushima...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42025882/ns/world_news-asiapacific/
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-03-11 16:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kalyna said:
Titan.Lillica said:
Has it been proven that this "Earthquake" occurred naturally yet?
Are you blaming Korea? (aka Kim Jong Il)
Looking at this map I don't think it's possible:

Siren.Shihan
Server: Siren
user: shihan
By Siren.Shihan 2011-03-11 16:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently the initail shock was felt in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada just 12 mins after! Thats approx 8957km away!(5567) If you were in a car and maintained an average speed of 96 kmh (60mph) over the course of your journey it would take you around 92.8 hours to get from Winnipeg to Tokyo! This puts the estimated speed of the shockwave somewhere in the neighborhood of 45000KM/h or 27000 MPH!!!

Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-11 16:48:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I've always wanted to experience an earthquake =/ We don't get any 'good natural disasters' (as much of an oxymoron as that is) here.. We get hurricanes, which just flat out suck in every way possible.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-03-11 16:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
I've always wanted to experience an earthquake =/ We don't get any 'good natural disasters' (as much of an oxymoron as that is) here.. We get hurricanes, which just flat out suck in every way possible.
All we get is the occasional flooding, which living on the side of hill prevents most of that.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Drivingplayer
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Drivingplayer 2011-03-11 17:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

i wonder is it wrong to have first thought that came to mind about this is that i might be able to get a decent camp with out soloers ruining it or get some seals ><
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-11 17:24:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Drivingplayer said:
i wonder is it wrong to have first thought that came to mind about this is that i might be able to get a decent camp with out soloers ruining it or get some seals ><
Yes, but you're not the only one to make game related jokes at this.
[+]
 Asura.Alexstaifter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Alexstaifter 2011-03-11 17:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I kinda get this though, after my inital concern, I than thought "OMG, I hope the FFXI servers dont drown or explode or nothing"
 Sylph.Zohnax
Server: Sylph
user: Baelfael
By Sylph.Zohnax 2011-03-11 17:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Alexstaifter said:

I kinda get this though, after my inital concern, I than thought "OMG, I hope the FFXI servers dont drown or explode or nothing"
And they just moves them a few days ago. Coincidence? :o
 Siren.Khadaji
Server: Siren
user: Khadaji
By Siren.Khadaji 2011-03-11 17:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

If you would like to follow NHK's live coverage in english use this link http://jibtv.com/program/?page=0

I live in hawaii and i'm dead tired from evacuating last nite/this morning but i'm still in shock at how bad this is that sleep isn't likely gonna happen anytime soon.
 Lakshmi.Aesa
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lerinia
By Lakshmi.Aesa 2011-03-11 17:40:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I live in Tokyo, everything is fine here. We were shook up really good, but no damage. So was a big scare, but then everything turned out ok. It did spill my tea though >.>

The only real damage was from tsunami hitting low lying coastal areas in the North East which thankfully is very rural with a few exceptions like Sendai and Hachinohe. Those ports got hit pretty bad.
[+]
 Cerberus.Liandaru
Server: Cerberus
user: Liandrian
By Cerberus.Liandaru 2011-03-11 17:42:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aesa said:
I live in Tokyo, everything is fine here. We were shook up really good, but no damage. So was a big scare, but then everything turned out ok. It did spill my tea though >.>

The only real damage was from tsunami hitting low lying coastal areas in the North East which thankfully is very rural with a few exceptions like Sendai and Hachinohe. Those ports got hit pretty bad.

So glad to hear you are alright :)
 Asura.Alexstaifter
By Asura.Alexstaifter 2011-03-11 18:05:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Just announced, A second Nuclear plant having cooling issues D:
 Asura.Daleterrence
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-03-11 18:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aesa said:

As a Brit, I love that the only thing that bothered you is that you spilled your tea. <3

I'm glad you are okay though, really am.

Also;
Made me think of this.
 Asura.Aziel
user: Gtfo
By Asura.Aziel 2011-03-11 18:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I had been keeping tabs on the news ever since the event last night, keeping up with friends/acquaintances living, working, or serving in Japan and making sure they and their loved ones are all right.

The damage is devastating...you've got full houses, barges, boats, vehicles being washed across the country at alarming speeds. When I see something like this, I don't even know what else to say other than that my thoughts go out to the Japanese people and everyone else affected by this.

Luckily Hawaii and the California coast weren't hit very hard. I don't know if Jaerik actually lives in Japan or not, but does anyone have any word from him? I hope he's doing well.

Also if anyone is interested, Red Cross is raising funds to go directly to the people affected by this catastrophe. Probably the only relief group I trust to donate to.
 Asura.Daleterrence
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-03-11 18:11:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik lives in the US, though I'd assume he has family over there, so I hope they are okay.

Edit: Kinda odd when I heard about it, that was the first thing I said.

Edit2: Do you know if they are taking donations in the UK?
 Asura.Aziel
user: Gtfo
By Asura.Aziel 2011-03-11 18:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I'm pretty sure they're taking donations in the UK, here it is:
Red Cross
[+]
 Asura.Alexstaifter
By Asura.Alexstaifter 2011-03-11 18:19:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
#
0014: Japan declares a state of emergency at the Fukushima-Daini power plant, where three of its reactors failed, the Associated Press reports. It says a state of emergency is already in place at the nearby Fukushima-Daiichi plant, where two reactors failed.
 Caitsith.Taazy
Server: Caitsith
user: taaz
By Caitsith.Taazy 2011-03-11 19:06:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
0059: Tokyo Electric Power, which runs the two stricken nuclear power plants, confirms it has released a small amount of vapour into the atmosphere to reduce pressure on one of its reactors. It tells AFP there are no health risks.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-11 19:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

A coastal town, population 72,000 has been washed away.. Only brick houses and foundations remain.. Where the hell are all the people? >_<

Edit: Whew.. not as bad as I thought but still.. 1/3?!

The northeastern Japanese city of Kesennuma, with a
population of 74,000, was hit by widespread fires and one-third
of the city was under water, Jiji news agency said on Saturday.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-03-11 19:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Had I feeling I would come back to hear that the Fukushima-Daichi plant had failed, but a second one too?!... Ugh, this just keeps getting worse.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kanjirou
By Quetzalcoatl.Kanjirou 2011-03-11 19:49:13
Link | Quote | Reply

@BBCBreaking via Twitter said:
0135: If you're just joining us, here's a quick recap on the main events in Japan: An 8.9 magnitude earthquake struck north-east Japan on Friday, killing at least 300 people - although that figure is widely expected to rise. As a huge relief mission gets under way, states of emergency have been declared at two nuclear plants. Up to 300 bodies were recovered from the port city of Sendai, in Miyagi prefecture, and a third of Kesennuma, a city in the same region, is said to be under water.
 Caitsith.Taazy
Server: Caitsith
user: taaz
By Caitsith.Taazy 2011-03-11 19:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
0143: Tokyo Electric Power releases more radioactive vapour from a second sticken reactor, AFP reports
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 61 62 63