Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-03-08 13:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Another reminder.

You may feel, as many EN players do, that JP players engage in a form of passive, elitist snobbery in not wanting to party or associate with EN players. You are entitled to this opinion.

You are not, however, entitled to swoop into Japanese threads and engage in active, intentionally antagonism of JP users by posting dickish comments in languages they can't understand. To me, such proactively asinine behavior is arguably worse than whatever passive-aggressive xenophobia you may feel JP users engage in to begin with.

This goes both ways. I would be (and have been) just as harsh if JP users swarmed into an EN thread and started spamming it with antagonistic crap in Japanese.

We are an international site and I will ask you to treat other languages' users with a modicum of respect. You don't have to speak the language -- even trying to be helpful in whatever language you speak is appreciated -- but beyond that, keep it to yourself or we're going to come down on you like a ton of bricks.
[+]
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2011-03-08 13:17:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It's sad that you even have to post this.
[+]
By Wafflechan 2011-03-08 13:19:04
Link | Quote | Reply

私は荒らしをダウンさせるために脅威を歓迎しています。あなたの行動はどこJPと英語の選手の間でスムーズな関係のように道を開く必要があります。これは日本語で侮辱される前には、あなたはそれがものではないからそれを見つけることは翻訳グーグル。
[+]
 Lakshmi.Seoha
Server: Lakshmi
user: Mameshiba
By Lakshmi.Seoha 2011-03-08 13:19:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dameshi said:
It's sad that you even have to post this.
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Server: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2011-03-08 13:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I appreciate this thread, you people wonder why the JP treat the NA like ***... well look at your demeanor towards them when they post a question.

Would you like it if I or someone else swooped into your thread and started harassing your posts and posting rude comments in another language?

Think about that for a sec.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kalyna
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-03-08 13:21:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Poor Japanese posters and players =(
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kuz
Server: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-03-08 13:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Can we still pick on the people who just butcher the English language as if they never even graduated from middle school?
And start creating one all on their own?

You know... the ones who still can not tell the difference between "There", "They're", and "Their"??
or the ones who take a word like "response" and type it "reeponce"

We CAN Still swoop on them... right?

(please tell me you find the humor in this post and don't ban me :P )
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-08 13:23:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Catnipthief said:
I appreciate this thread, you people wonder why the JP treat the NA like ***... well look at your demeanor towards them when they post a question.

Would you like it if I or someone else swooped into your thread and started harassing your posts and posting rude comments in another language?

One idiot says stupid crap and automatically that is the cause for JP and their animosity towards NA? I highly doubt that. It works both ways, I'm sure there are tard JP just like Kungfu. I originally saw the post in general, wasn't in JP section from what I saw.
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2011-03-08 13:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
I don't believe JP players engage in any snobbery or anything (especially more than NA ***), but I do find it funny we have a JP section with sparse posting and gets the most attention from people posting in English in which they get in trouble for.

The only time I see NA people post in the JP section is when there is an actual JP post... and then it's usually "SRY I DON'T SPEAK SQUIGGLY" or some ignorant post like that.

[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-08 13:24:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kalyna said:
Cerberus.Kalyna said:

Oh lord I'm gonna step outta this thread. I think Kungfu was being a tard though, I honestly didn't know it was in a JP section when it was put on front page.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2011-03-08 13:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Leviathan.Catnipthief said:

One idiot says stupid crap and automatically that is the cause for JP and their animosity towards NA? I highly doubt that. It works both ways, I'm sure there are tard JP just like Kungfu. I originally saw the post in general, wasn't in JP section from what I saw.

Well of course not, but it really doesn't help us when people do it.

Simple thing really is if you don't speak the language or at least can't read it, why bother clicking, and posting in the thread? Your not helping in any way shape or form.
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2011-03-08 13:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't worry guys! Cerelyn apologized for you all you 'stupid' 'foreigners' so its cool.
 Bismarck.Angeleus
user: Munky
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-03-08 13:26:05
Link | Quote | Reply

This whole thing started by 2 people. Keep that in mind folks.

Inb4Elawisepost.

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kalyna
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-03-08 13:26:26
Link | Quote | Reply

What saddens me is, according to the Japanese exchange students at my College, Japan loves and looks up to most of us NA people.

Besides, you guys need to realize that just because you don't understand their language doesn't mean they don't understand ours.

They're forced to learn English in School. Whether they're good or not, they still can understand what you say, if not they can ask someone who knows or maybe report your post to Jaerik.

Btw Jaerik, I'm wondering, how many people lurk these forums that are from Japan (like having a Japanese IP and stuff) I may want to find a few people to help me practice my Japanese and stuff like that, who aren't busy, that is.
 Cerberus.Kalyna
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2011-03-08 13:27:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ruizutatakau said:
Don't worry guys! Cerelyn apologized for you all you 'stupid' 'foreigners' so its cool.
I tried to lol i think i messed up/forgot some particles though =(
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-03-08 13:28:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Another reminder.

You may feel, as many EN players do, that JP players engage in a form of passive, elitist snobbery in not wanting to party or associate with EN players. You are entitled to this opinion.

You are not, however, entitled to swoop into Japanese threads and engage in active, intentionally antagonism of JP users by posting dickish comments in languages they can't understand. To me, such proactively asinine behavior is arguably worse than whatever passive-aggressive xenophobia you may feel JP users engage in to begin with.

This goes both ways. I would be (and have been) just as harsh if JP users swarmed into an EN thread and started spamming it with antagonistic crap in Japanese.

We are an international site and I will ask you to treat other languages' users with a modicum of respect. You don't have to speak the language -- even trying to be helpful in whatever language you speak is appreciated -- but beyond that, keep it to yourself or we're going to come down on you like a ton of bricks.
xenophobia?
nice word. :D
i wish this clause(bolded) worked more for english speaking individuals as well as Japanese ones.
:P
Shouldn't that be treated as more common policy?
And "coming down on someone like a ton of bricks"
over specifically Japanese people getting treated badly kind of reflects badly when the same respect should be given regardless as to language.
Not that it's honestly much one can control of it(past default moderation)...I just find that this thread is a bit silly when these actions should already be in place in the first place.
I.E. one shouldn't have to warn people because they already got the warning in their native language.
:/

tl;dr- one should treat everyone with respect.
language shouldn't be a factor.
people don't do that anyway for a good deal of the time, so telling them that you are going to do it when they do it to Japanese-speaking individiduals just seems to validate ones doing it to English-speaking individuals and otherwise.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2011-03-08 13:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kalyna said:
Bismarck.Ruizutatakau said:
I tried to lol i think i messed up/forgot some particles though =(
its ok, I just forgot to use a comma earlier.
 Asura.Daleterrence
Server: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2011-03-08 13:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Slightly off topic, but I'm alittle sick of Japanese players assuming I'm American because I speak English.. At the same time though, I've only ever come across one.. Yes, one, Japanese player that has been openly dickish towards me, for no reason. Opposed to.. let's see... thousands of dickish NA players.

I'd actually go as far to say I'd rather play with Japanese players than American players, if it wasn't for the language barrier, I think I would. I actually try really hard to show not everyone that speaks English are douches whenever I do end up playing with a Japanese player.

I've said my piece off topic..

On topic, completely agree.
 Ramuh.Urial
Server: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-03-08 13:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kalyna said:
What saddens me is, according to the Japanese exchange students at my College, Japan loves and looks up to most of us NA people.

Besides, you guys need to realize that just because you don't understand their language doesn't mean they don't understand ours.

They're forced to learn English in School. Whether they're good or not, they still can understand what you say, if not they can ask someone who knows or maybe report your post to Jaerik.

Btw Jaerik, I'm wondering, how many people lurk these forums that are from Japan (like having a Japanese IP and stuff) I may want to find a few people to help me practice my Japanese and stuff like that, who aren't busy, that is.

Wouldn't that be a biased opinion since clearly they are fans of the American culture if they are exchange students. Talk about 2 different cultures there will always be those who are accepting and those who aren't. That's just how things go.
 Siren.Kuz
Server: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-03-08 13:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:

I'm resisting swooping on your *** right now for punctuation but sure. : p

punctuation I can over look most of the times.
but when people type as if they are doing so with their toes on a grade-school level... my skin crawls
 Cerberus.Liandaru
user: Liandrian
By Cerberus.Liandaru 2011-03-08 13:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanted to post a reply to the OP in the mentioned thread using Google translate, however, I'm not sure if it really is a true translation or not. What I did do was send the OP of that post a PM using the translate, telling them I was using Google translate, referring them to Jaerik since I've seen he can speak Japanese. As an NA player, I didn't think it was my place to post in that thread if I didn't have anything useful to say. Celeryn was right to apologize for the rest of us. There's a general ignorance of Eastern culture in NA that's quite frankly inexcusable. If you're going to play a game or do any other sort of activity that requires you to interact with people who speak a certain other language on a regular basis, you should at least make an effort to understand the language on some level, even if it's just using a translator, or shutting the hell up.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2011-03-08 13:31:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kuz said:
Can we still pick on the people who just butcher the English language as if they never even graduated from middle school?
And start creating one all on their own?

You know... the ones who still can not tell the difference between "There", "They're", and "Their"??
or the ones who take a word like "response" and type it "reeponce"

We CAN Still swoop on them... right?

(please tell me you find the humor in this post and don't ban me :P )

Cause we all live in the USA and or have english as our first language right?

I know plenty of people in my LS that have a hard time with English, do I understand why? yes. Do I *** and rage about it? no.

I'd say the effort to at least try to communicate is the biggest thing someone can do rather then just assume we can speak 10 billion different languages and expect us to learn their language.
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2011-03-08 13:33:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Daleterrence said:
Slightly off topic, but I'm alittle sick of Japanese players assuming I'm American because I speak English.. At the same time though, I've only ever come across one.. Yes, one, Japanese player that has been openly dickish towards me, for no reason. Opposed to.. let's see... thousands of dickish NA players.

I'd actually go as far to say I'd rather play with Japanese players than American players, if it wasn't for the language barrier, I think I would. I actually try really hard to show not everyone that speaks English are douches whenever I do end up playing with a Japanese player.

I've said my piece off topic..

On topic, completely agree.

If I have a choice I play with foreigners, much more fun then playing with NA since most are just arrogant close minded idiots.

Yes, I live in NA, and I can be an *** at times, but I can understand when people get frustrated over stuff.
 Bismarck.Angeleus
user: Munky
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-03-08 13:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

By 2018 USA will be taken over by Latinos! LOL
First Page 2