Which Emp Weapon?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Which Emp Weapon?
Which Emp Weapon?
First Page 2
 Diabolos.Sephirothclone
Server: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
By Diabolos.Sephirothclone 2011-03-01 00:17:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I was wondering which Emp weapon would be a good choice to start building. I'm Trying to decide between Ukon, Kanni, or Masa. Does any1 have any advice as to which would be the better choice? and yes i do have a good LS that is currently almost finished with 2(85) weapons. Thank you in advance!
By Enygma3 2011-03-01 00:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ukon if they can get it for you, kannagi u can solo same with masa. Ukon is a *** to get all the KIs for glavoid over and over and over again unless ur ls FCBs for KIs.
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-03-01 00:24:38
Link | Quote | Reply

1) What job do you use/enjoy the most?

2) Are you looking for effectiveness now? Or down the road when/if the game has left abyssea

3) How much time/effort are you willing to put into the weapon? Certain Empys are way harder to finish than others.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Yarly
Server: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2011-03-01 00:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm assuming you've got a solid group to farm with you since you mentioned having a good LS.

Ukonvasara.
 Diabolos.Sephirothclone
By Diabolos.Sephirothclone 2011-03-01 00:33:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Well i usually play a mage job for the ls. Have to say i prefer nin over all, but sam and war are still pretty fun. i guess over all effectiveness, dont do much outside of abyss anymore :-;. Were a pretty solid group so i dont see there being a time issue.
@ Spice I have my rat on my shoulder!
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-03-01 00:35:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Also depends on which job you like the most. If you're indifferent to any of the job for said weapons, definitely Ukon, that thing is Hand-Forged Rape.

Again, not factoring job preference, Kannagi is a bit of a gamble. I've seen what it does inside abyssea, and I've seen what it does outside. Even with the old content being much lower level now, Kannagi really takes a dicking in Damage potency outside. As easy as Kannagi is to get (Assuming Guku isn't camped up the shitpipe like it is on some servers), you may not cash out in the green at the end.

Masamune is Caladbolg for a job that doesn't suck. If you SAM is ***, you'll rape circles around pretty much everything but Warrior. If you're a SAM who relied on Hagun-gekko spam as your "omg sam iz so azome" button, well, I can't say it's wasted time, because of how easy it is, but yeah... Maybe not the best investment.

TL;DR Ukonvasara.

Addendum: Or be awesome and do Farsha for epic WAR Amber light.
[+]
 Diabolos.Sephirothclone
By Diabolos.Sephirothclone 2011-03-01 01:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for your replies^^
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-03-01 01:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say it depends on what you're looking to get out of your weapon.

Ukonvasara is the best investment up-front if you're looking for raw damage potential. You can WAR/SAM pretty much everything in Abyssea, which means you've got a 5hit plus Hasso and Retaliation. You're a *** force of nature. Outside Abyssea you have the same sort of damage potential but there's no guarantee you'll be able to go all-out on everything. Without Hasso and a 5hit, WAR's damage isn't nearly as awesome.

Masamune is more of a long-view weapon. It's ok in Abyssea but the lack of a crit WS hurts. Outside Abyssea, it'll be one of the best DD weapons and won't lose quite as much if you have to /NIN.

Kannagi's draw is consistency. It's very powerful inside Abyssea and still good outside (especially if you can exploit Innin), but it doesn't grant the same sort of raw power. However, NIN is a job with great innate defensive capabilities; your performance won't change much in tanking situations. Having to significantly rework your Hi set means you're dropping some output outside Abyssea but it's a great choice if you're looking for a weapon to tank with, particularly in lowman setups.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Boemir
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Wheels
By Gilgamesh.Boemir 2011-03-01 02:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm having the same problem in deciding which to choose. Me and some friends are all gonna do empyrean weapons. My choices where between BLU and NIN since they were my first jobs to 75 back then, and my favorites. Ultimately I went with Kannagi and did all spawn NM's already and ready to start VNM's.

But tbh, I'm actually having second thoughts about Kannagi. Don't want to spend the time and effort in making a weapon for a job that will go back to second plan as it was pre-abyssea, after the next updates. Don't get me wrong, its a very fun job, but how many times were you asked to bring NIN to an event considering you had other jobs?

I came here to ask you guys your opinions. Knowing what we know now, would you go ahead with Kannagi? or just choose another empyrean like SAM, BLU (my other melee jobs)

Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-03-01 02:48:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Gandiva ;o <3 Rng

I'd definitely go for the Ukonvasara if you can get it. Glavoid and Itzapapalotl suck *** to farm, even doing Fell Cleave burns..best thing is to also do Chloris for someone while doing it, but even then, people will still get burned out and it really sucks being a helper for them.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-03-01 02:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Boemir said:
I'm having the same problem in deciding which to choose. Me and some friends are all gonna do empyrean weapons. My choices where between BLU and NIN since they were my first jobs to 75 back then, and my favorites. Ultimately I went with Kannagi and did all spawn NM's already and ready to start VNM's.

But tbh, I'm actually having second thoughts about Kannagi. Don't want to spend the time and effort in making a weapon for a job that will go back to second plan as it was pre-abyssea, after the next updates. Don't get me wrong, its a very fun job, but how many times were you asked to bring NIN to an event considering you had other jobs?

I came here to ask you guys your opinions. Knowing what we know now, would you go ahead with Kannagi? or just choose another empyrean like SAM, BLU (my other melee jobs)

To be honest, Kannagi/Almace (both the same NMs) are hell easy to do, and Masamune is even easier. I mean, they're dead easy and you can honestly do all three in less than a month provided people would help and such. There's still a shitton to do in Abyssea, and people aren't going to cap out on af and empyrean weapons soon (I'd think anyway) so since Kannagi is kickass, you could do it, then when it comes to second round of emps make either Masamune or Almace.
[+]
By Alryc 2011-03-01 03:00:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Above posts explained the weapons pretty well already but one thing that helped me decide on my Empy is the fact that I can use it on a few different jobs. I play Blu 99% of the time, but it's always nice to be able to use Zorro Slash on other jobs if I'm on them for some reason.

The weapons you listed are all 1 job only but yeah, just something to consider. Though with how easy it is to get Masamune 85, it's almost a waste of time to not make it if you plan on playing Samurai fairly often.
 Gilgamesh.Boemir
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Wheels
By Gilgamesh.Boemir 2011-03-01 08:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I'm on NIN most of the time, being it soloing / small group / events but thats on abyssea. That's why I decided to start on Kannagi. My real problem is the new content thats gonna be release and if it kills NIN.
By sefalon 2011-03-01 08:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I made a masamune and I dualboxed 80 percent of it was really fast. I got 27 lanterns in one day only by offering +2 items and all they did was hold a pop set for me. I would like war or mnk but I know it will not be as easy and I am in a merc shell so I not getting any help. So I am doing almace/kannagi since you can solo that also.

So my advice if you have help get war since you can 1-2 man the others.
 Bahamut.Zoltar
Server: Bahamut
user: Zoltar
By Bahamut.Zoltar 2011-03-01 08:43:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Just finished my 85 Farsha but haven't tested it yet on warrior but its awesome on bst so far for rampage spams!
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-01 08:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Boemir said:

Kannagi is still THE best Katana, and I mean Blade:Hi should out do Jin as well outside Abyssea. That aside the Double Damage aftermath will do wonders for your DoT parse wise. Plus you can always go Hi-> Jin with the aftermath up.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Laeticia 2011-03-01 09:03:13
Link | Quote | Reply

truth is the game is 8 years old (for some of us), and you should do the weapon of the job you like most. no doubt ukon is ridiculous completely, possibly best weapon in game with best ws in game, but i made almace and twash because i like blu and dnc the most. rudra's is not a good ws at all inside abyssea (non crit, and based on dagger damage), so it is not comparable to ukkos by a mile. however i dont like war, and not even doing sick damage would change that. glass cannon isnt my style, not knocking it, but i just dont enjoy it.

twash is still the best dd weapon for dnc (and thf probably) so it is still absolutely worth doing if you love the job. also self darkness rudras-> evis nets more damage than 2 evis (unless monster resists darkness considerably) due to dnc SC bonus trait, and provides you with aftermath.

if dnc becomes obselete due to no razed ruins (if game shifts outside abyssea), i have lvl 90 well-geared thf, and thf simply cant become obselete, so thats the backup plan. rudras is actually pretty nice with SA or TA or both, inside and outside. almace and CDC are simply amazing any way you slice it, but still not ukon damage of course as war just has so many more tools/gear for straight up melee dd in and out.

point of this jibberish is im happy with twash even though rudras is junk compared to the big wses, because its the best weapon for the job i use and like the most. a stronger weapon for a job i like less would leave me with regrets. that choice is yours.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-01 09:11:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Laeticia said:
truth is the game is 8 years old (for some of us), and you should do the weapon of the job you like most. no doubt ukon is ridiculous completely, possibly best weapon in game with best ws in game, but i made almace and twash because i like blu and dnc the most. rudra's is not a good ws at all inside abyssea (non crit, and based on dagger damage), so it is not comparable to ukkos by a mile. however i dont like war, and not even doing sick damage would change that. glass cannon isnt my style, not knocking it, but i just dont enjoy it.

twash is still the best dd weapon for dnc (and thf probably) so it is still absolutely worth doing if you love the job. also self darkness rudras-> evis nets more damage than 2 evis (unless monster resists darkness considerably) due to dnc SC bonus trait, and provides you with aftermath.

if dnc becomes obselete due to no razed ruins (if game shifts outside abyssea), i have lvl 90 well-geared thf, and thf simply cant become obselete, so thats the backup plan. rudras is actually pretty nice with SA or TA or both, inside and outside. almace and CDC are simply amazing any way you slice it, but still not ukon damage of course as war just has so many more tools/gear for straight up melee dd in and out.

point of this jibberish is im happy with twash even though rudras is junk compared to the big wses, because its the best weapon for the job i use and like the most. a stronger weapon for a job i like less would leave me with regrets. that choice is yours.

Glass canon? I'd say that is RNG. WAR can tank really well PDT and MDT sets help a lot for those Oh ***moments.
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-03-01 09:17:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said:
Glass canon? I'd say that is RNG. WAR can tank really well PDT and MDT sets help a lot for those Oh ***moments.

I'm a war main, and I'd say compared to other jobs used to lowman tank, war is definitely a glass cannon.
Of course, if you have decent numbers, or are doing any NM from 1 of the first 2 abyssea zones it doesn't really matter.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zoltar
user: Zoltar
By Bahamut.Zoltar 2011-03-01 09:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I see ppl doing fairly regular 4500+ dmg on normal abyssea mobs with Rudra's Storm, seems like a nice ws to me!
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-03-01 09:34:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zoltar said:
I see ppl doing fairly regular 4500+ dmg on normal abyssea mobs with Rudra's Storm, seems like a nice ws to me!

Only when you stack it with SA/TA
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-03-01 11:46:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zoltar said:
Just finished my 85 Farsha but haven't tested it yet on warrior but its awesome on bst so far for rampage spams!

Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-01 11:54:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said:
Out of curiousity what exactly does war have on rng in terms of survivability? Defense bonus and defender?
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-01 12:08:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:
Out of curiousity what exactly does war have on rng in terms of survivability? Defense bonus and defender?

Defender/Defense Bonus/VIT Doesn't mean much but slightly helps.
[Defense/VIT does ***against serious things though.

Parry Skill: I wouldn't rely on Parry but if it's capped and procs then woot

I'm not going to bother with evasion, it's like having a wall dodge a cannonball... not gonna happen.

Lots of Regen Gear
Higher HP
Higher Access to PDT Gear?
Higher Access to MDT Gear?
shield Skill... [Gross but I use one for single handed proc weapons since I'm /SAM or /MNK)

/MNK sub is more practical for WAR then RNG. Counter wouldn't work well with say Staff on Ranger.[Acc is a factor]

Ability to Easily cap haste on WAR for Shadows. A regular ranger probably wouldn't go through the trouble of Bullwhip Belt/Zelus Tiara/Dusk gloves+1 Etc[If /NIN]

Most people would rather be RNG/WAR so they really don't have anything to mitigate damage. All of Warrior's subjobs have some kind of defensive capability.
/NIN: Shadows, /SAM Third-eye, /MNK Counter Stance

What would be cool is if Shadowbind didn't wear when the mob gets hit. Keeping the Ranger at a distance from the monster. It wouldn't be broken with the crappy recast.

If you absolutely have to be a douche on WAR and turtle up it can be done. Defense Food/Capped Shield/PDT Gear it can be done. But what's the point of killing your main damage output?

You can really minimize damage taken with PDT gear+ earth Staff/Iron ram Lance when trying for procs if you happen to be tanking. Keeping hate can be just as easy if Intense soothing lights are around. Mighty Strikes some Retribution or Penta Thrust if for some reason ***hits the fan and you need a damage reduction weapon on.
 Fenrir.Kut
user: Kutsurabi
By Fenrir.Kut 2011-03-01 12:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:

I'm a war main, and I'd say compared to other jobs used to lowman tank, war is definitely a glass cannon.
Of course, if you have decent numbers, or are doing any NM from 1 of the first 2 abyssea zones it doesn't really matter.

From playing with Skarwind often, WAR is far from a glass cannon as long as you don't go out trying to play like one. Though not as good as having a MNK tank, I find it a very reliable second option.

Rerailing... I'd say to not worry(too much) about which Empyrean you get and just go with the job you like to play most. I feel as if back with Relics it was just a privilege to have one, and whether it was a Mandau, an Apocalypse, or an Amano wasn't as big of a deal as the fact that they were the best weapons for the job. As long as it's not going to fall short to "normal" weapons outside Abyssea, why not?
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-01 12:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kut said:
Bismarck.Altar said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:

From playing with Skarwind often, WAR is far from a glass cannon as long as you don't go out trying to play like one. Though not as good as having a MNK tank, I find it a very reliable second option.

I can't help it if I have counter stance up, and a douche scorp mighty strikes a hell scissors for 3.6k :(
 Fenrir.Kut
user: Kutsurabi
By Fenrir.Kut 2011-03-01 12:14:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said:
Fenrir.Kut said:
Bismarck.Altar said:
Fenrir.Skarwind said:

I can't help it if I have counter stance up, and a douche scorp mighty strikes a hell scissors for 3.6k :(

PDT go! 1.8k hell scissors and your alive
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-03-01 12:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Get more HP! Jesus, what a slacker.
First Page 2