Religious Group Demands That City Changes Name.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Religious group demands that City changes name.
Religious group demands that City changes name.
First Page 2 3
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-21 14:02:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Tuscaloosa, AL -- The Religious Right, together with representatives of the Christian Coalition and the American Family Association, is organizing a multi-state march on one tiny village in Pennsylvania, demanding that it immediately change its name. The name? "Intercourse."
The name? "Intercourse." One dictionary definition defines "intercourse" as "Dealings or communications between persons or groups." It's that other definition, however, that's got the conservative groups' goat.

linky linky

I love religious organizations that can't get their mind out of the gutter.

Quote:
The Christian Coalition's Lydia Hopwinkle explains, "Here it is, right here in Webster's - 'Intercourse - physical sexual contact between individuals that involves the genitalia of at least one person.' Now, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to live in a place named after a sexual act, and I wouldn't want my children, or anyone else's children, living there, either!"

Complicating the matter is the fact that Intercourse happens to be an Amish village, and the generally conservative, pious Amish apparently don't seem to be bothered by the name.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2011-02-21 14:11:36
Link | Quote | Reply

naa its the first definition they really got prob with, we all know any religious fanatics have a true hate of any real open discussion and exchanging of ideas between people.
[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2011-02-21 14:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL they have their work cut out for them...

http://www.accuracyproject.org/towns.html

...good luck with that list. ;_;

Why they skipped Hooker Hole, LA for Intercourse, PA is beyond me.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-02-21 14:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Heimdall said:
naa its the first definition they really got prob with, we all know any religious fanatics have a true hate of any real open discussion and exchanging of ideas between people.

Genuine Lol.
[+]
 Titan.Wombat
Server: Titan
user: Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2011-02-21 14:16:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Usually when I hear what the religious crazies are up to, I try to remain sympathetic to how misguided so many religious people are. In this case I can honestly say, "I don't get it."

I can't identify. This seems purely like a power-play to flex the "moral" muscles of the religious right.
[+]
 Titan.Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2011-02-21 14:23:00
Link | Quote | Reply

And I lol'd at the conclusion of the article:
Quote:
While the Religious Right has not yet mentioned any plans to go after every city or town with a suggestive-sounding name, perhaps the following Pennsylvania towns might want to be on alert for possible future protest marches: Blue Ball, Bird-in-Hand, Virginville, Puseyville, Fertility, Bareville, and Mount Joy.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-21 14:27:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Tuscaloosa, AL -- The Religious Right, together with representatives of the Christian Coalition and the American Family Association, is organizing a multi-state march on one tiny village in Pennsylvania, demanding that it immediately change its name. The name? "Intercourse."
The name? "Intercourse." One dictionary definition defines "intercourse" as "Dealings or communications between persons or groups." It's that other definition, however, that's got the conservative groups' goat.

How can you call a religious group "Conservative"? This ***is the opposite of conservatism. Sorry, it's one of those things that grind my gears when religious fanaticism is considered "conservative".

inb4 BUT REPUBLICANS ARE RELIGIOUS FANATICS. Republican =/= Conservative
[+]
 Titan.Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2011-02-21 14:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:
Quote:

How can you call a religious group "Conservative"? This ***is the opposite of conservatism. Sorry, it's one of those things that grind my gears when religious fanaticism is considered "conservative".

I think conservative here is being used in the archaic-moral-values-defenders sense, not the politically conservative sense.
 Quetzalcoatl.Aaradia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: izzlet
By Quetzalcoatl.Aaradia 2011-02-21 14:32:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Schutz said:
LOL they have their work cut out for them...

http://www.accuracyproject.org/towns.html

...good luck with that list. ;_;

Why they skipped Hooker Hole, LA for Intercourse, PA is beyond me.

wtf @ all the towns named after star trek
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-21 14:48:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Wombat said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:
Quote:

I think conservative here is being used in the archaic-moral-values-defenders sense, not the politically conservative sense.
even if it's in regards to the moral values of an amish community lolol.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-02-21 14:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

gotta love it when Christians dont see that there are multiple meanings to one word.

*** morons, I just want to shoot them all.
 Ramuh.Merlinjr
user: Merlinjr
By Ramuh.Merlinjr 2011-02-21 14:51:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to rename two adjacent towns "Scissor" and "Kiss".
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-02-21 14:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, this subject is just too stupid to effectively comment on, I spent the last 20minutes trying to come up with something, but seriously, I am just left confused.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-02-21 14:55:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Honestly, this subject is just too stupid to effectively comment on, I spent the last 20minutes trying to come up with something, but seriously, I am just left confused.
you could try the usual "Stupidchristians are stupid".
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Server: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-02-21 15:01:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:
Quote:

I don't see how they don't fall under the definition:

con·serv·a·tive   /kənˈsɜrvətɪv/ Show Spelled
[kuhn-sur-vuh-tiv] Show IPA

–adjective
1. disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conservative

republicans are conservative, it's the core of their "values"
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-02-21 15:01:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
you could try the usual "Stupidchristians are stupid".

Yeah, I could take a given fact as a comment, but where's the challenge in that?

I just wish we could make some island, surrounded by an eternal tire fire wall, and choral all these idiots in there.

I don't think I'd be nearly as pissed if I thought for one moment, that they were just being ***. But the knowledge that they, themselves see absolutely nothing wrong with their behavior is like a greasy cockslap and dicking up the nostril.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-21 15:05:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:
Quote:

–adjective
1. disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.

I think the person jumped the gun and assumed conservative=republican or something...seems quite similar to what they were assuming about what the article said with their lol inb4.
hypocrisy comes in many flavors.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-02-21 15:10:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:
Quote:

–adjective

I think the person jumped the gun and assumed conservative=republican or something...seems quite similar to what they were assuming about what the article said with their lol inb4.
hypocrisy comes in many flavors.

I hope so otherwise I failed for an epic troll
[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-21 15:13:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:
Quote:

–adjective

In this case, a conservative would be on the side of the city keeping the existing name, as there is nothing wrong with it. Religious groups (And to an extent, republicans acting on religious values) seek to force others into their belief systems, which is far from being conservative. Religion does not belong in politics.

edit: yes, republicans are Conservative in regards to economics etc.
[+]
 Titan.Sidette
user: Sidiov
By Titan.Sidette 2011-02-21 15:16:17
Link | Quote | Reply

FYI, this is a fake story before anyone keeps saying "I want to shoot them all" as above...
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-21 15:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Sidette said:
FYI, this is a fake story before anyone keeps saying "I want to shoot them all" as above...

So I wasted my time, cool.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-21 15:25:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Sidette said:
Fake story?
How so?(not trying to correct you in the least, just curious as to how it's automatically a fake story.)
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-21 15:26:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:
Quote:

–adjective

In this case, a conservative would be on the side of the city keeping the existing name, as there is nothing wrong with it. Religious groups (And to an extent, republicans acting on religious values) seek to force others into their belief systems, which is far from being conservative. Religion does not belong in politics.

that's your own perception on the word as are all of these things.
the word conservative fit in the sense that it was going by the literal definition of the word, hur dur.
you are the dip who brought political parties into the mix in the first place lol.
i think you are a perfect example of one getting all uppity over the proper use of words when they are being used properly.

TL;DR
you jumped the gun because you assumed that if the word conservative is used it's automatically within party-based political rhetoric.
 Titan.Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2011-02-21 15:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Titan.Sidette said:
Fake story?
How so?(not trying to correct you in the least, just curious as to how it's automatically a fake story.)
It is in the humor section of the site, but I'm not sure if being in the humor section makes it automatically fake.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-21 15:28:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Wombat said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Titan.Sidette said:
Fake story?
It is in the humor section of the site, but I'm not sure if being in the humor section makes it automatically fake.
That's exactly why I'm not sure.
I guess I don't go through the process of correlating the word "humor" with "fake" though lol.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-02-21 15:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:
Quote:

–adjective

while religion doesn't belong in politics no political right aka conservative republican will agree to that, depending on what you define as conservative, a person with conservative values will want the name changed, a nomenclature conservative will want it to stay the same because that's how it is.

in the general sense still, republicans are conservatives in just about every sense of the word.

also "wrong with it" is purely subjective, personally I think it's a *** stupid name, but it costs too much to change so leave it as it is.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-02-21 15:55:53
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.zazzle.com/i_love_intercourse_pennsylvania_tshirt-235791205560002202
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-02-21 16:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Dobrusi said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
gotta love it when Christians dont see that there are multiple meanings to one word. *** morons, I just want to shoot them all.

You shouldn't generalize because not all Christians are how you view them to be. I could care less if a town is named "intercourse", not that I would pick that name for a town if I had the option but protesting it.....who cares?

Do you generalize all muslims to be terrorists too?
most of them
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-02-21 16:22:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Dobrusi said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
gotta love it when Christians dont see that there are multiple meanings to one word. *** morons, I just want to shoot them all.

You shouldn't generalize because not all Christians are how you view them to be. I could care less if a town is named "intercourse", not that I would pick that name for a town if I had the option but protesting it.....who cares?

Do you generalize all muslims to be terrorists too?
Durrbrosi taking KFH seriously?
whaaa?
First Page 2 3