Errors In FFXI (English)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Errors in FFXI (English)
Errors in FFXI (English)
First Page 2
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-02-03 11:12:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello everyone!

Not to come off as a spelling nazi, but I have recently begun compiling errors in the NA version of FFXI. I think it would be worthwhile to compile them all in one place so that SE doesn't have to try and combine things from multiple threads. I started twittering some of this stuff to them yesterday, but realized it would be more time efficient for both parties to compile everything into one thread and then twitter the link. It is key to be very explicit and clear with issues we find, as any of our requests will likely at least pass through a translation team that has not played the game before reaching the Dev team. No lingo. If possible, please continue my numbering sequence using A or B to denote which type of issue it is.

This is not a thread things that we want changed with game mechanics, job balance, etc. This is specifically for things like spelling and description errors. Look below if you don't understand.

A - Equipment/item issues:
A1) Dragoon's Empyrean Armor set is half named "Lancer's" and half "Lancer."
A2) Thief's Empyrean Hands armor +1 and +2 (Raider's Armlets +1/+2) claim to Enhance Trick Attack damage, when they actually Enhance Sneak Attack damage
A3) Black Mage's Empyrean Leg armor +2 (Goetia Chausses +2) claim to give "Magc Accuracy +12," when they actually give Magic Accuracy +7.
A4) The High Quality result of the "Versa Celata" recipe is "Versa Celeta +1", when it should be "Versa Celata +1"
A5) There is a recipe for a level 63 Great Katana whose Normal Quality result is "Kanesada +1" and whose High Quality result is "Shinkanesada". I imagine that you meant for the NQ to just be "Shinkanesada" and the High Quality to be "Shinkanesada +1".
A6) Red Mage can wear the Torama armor set (High Quality of the Coeurl Armor set) but not the Normal Quality Coeurl armor set.
A7) Raising Earring (level 1 Earring with Enchantment: Reraise from the tutorial quests) appears in inventory as "Raising earrings" - Siren.Enternius
A8) "Stun Jamadhar" is a level 66 Hand-to-hand weapon, but the High Quality result of the synthesis is "Stun Jamadhars +1". In this case, I'm inclined to suggest making the Normal Quality "Stun Jamadhars". Also, the high quality and normal quality versions can be worn by different jobs. - Phoenix.Fredjan
A9) Jinko claims it is "A ninjutsu tool, used in casting 'Jinko.' " when in fact it is used in casting Yurin. - Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
A10) Aisha: Ichi "MonsterName is Attack Down." instead of something more grammatically correct - Lakshmi.Phaffi.
A11) The High quality result of the "Raptor Ledelsens" recepe is "Dino Ledersens" - Asura.Kowen
A12) Dragoon's Empyrean Armor feet ("Lancer's Schynbalds +2"), misspell Wyvern as "wyrvern" in their set bonus description - Cerberus.Aydogan
A13) The High Quality result of Igqira Lappas (Genie Lappas) are named "Genie Lappa" in inventory, and must be macroed as such. - Caitsith.Cyana
A14) Ranger's Empyrean Armor legs +2 are named "Sylvan Bragues +2" as opposed to the +1 armor's "Sylvan Brague +1" - Bahamut.Kujah
A15) Witchstone lacks the quotation marks around Magic Attack Bonus that exist on every other piece that gives it. - Lakshmi.Phaffi
A16) The set bonus description on Thief Empyrean Armor feet +2 (Raider's Poulaines +2) is worded differently than the rest of the set. The rest of the set is "Set: Augments Triple Attack" and the feet are "Set: Enhances Triple attack effect." - Phoenix.Kirana

B - Game mechanics issues:
B1) Sturmwind's description says "Damage varies with TP" but it doesn't, at least as far as I can tell.
B2) Something causes the Key Item autotranslate feature to stop working. Some people suspect it is when someone has >200 Key Items or one specific erroneous Key Item. - PS2 limitations. Could transition it into a menu system instead of holding it all in memory at once though.
B3) I believe Beetles still have a backwards front foot.
B4) When using Despoil you get messages such as "The Mythril golem are afflicted with slow." It should be "The Mythril Golem is afflicted with slow." - Phoenix.Jimie
B5) Blue Mages cast Winds of Promyvion (shortened to "Winds of Promyv.") to remove debuffs and the resulting text is something like, "Byrth's slow effect was removed by Winds of Promyv.." Perhaps it would be better to either remove the second period or reverse the sentence structure so it's "Winds of Promyv. removes Byrth's slow effect."
B6) Some people still have issues with flowers floating off the ground East/southeast of the Konschtat Highlands Crag.
B7) The Conflux Surveyor in every Abyssea zone allows you to waste stones without a warning message. (24 minutes to start, 6 Sojourn abyssites, you are allowed to add 3 stones for 168 minutes total, but then it is capped down to 120 so you have lost a full 48 minute stone.) Please add a warning message that at least notes the 120 minute cap.
B8) Sacrifice incorrectly tells the target that they have absorbed their own status ailmen. For instance, it would tell me "You have absorbed Byrth's Paralyze." when a white mage casts Sacrifice on me. - Phoenix.Fredjan
B9) Viper Bite incorrectly says that it "Doubles damage" when in fact it "Doubles Attack." - Lakshmi.Phaffi
B10) When you get Death cast on you, the resulting message is "Player is KO." instead of anything more grammatical. - Lakshmi.Phaffi
B11) If Minax Bugard or Sobek kill you with the damage from their TP move "Tyrant Tusk" and its Death effect also activates, you are killed twice in one move ("Player is defeated by Sobek"/"Player is defeated by Sobek") and lose twice as much Experience Points as normal. - Lakshmi.Phaffi
B12) Shinryu's title is different on Linkshell Community and in game. One is "Wyrm God Defier" and the other is "Dragon God Defier" - Lakshmi.Phaffi
B13) Some types of Erase moves (both used by monsters and players) lead to incorrect grammar.
[+]
 Phoenix.Jimie
Server: Phoenix
user: Jimie
By Phoenix.Jimie 2011-02-03 11:14:40
Link | Quote | Reply

When using despoil you get messages such as "The Mythril golem are afflicted with slow".
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-02-03 11:17:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah yes, also Winds of Promyvion always looks like it's halfway to an ellipsis when BLUs use it. I'm not sure what the exact help text is, maybe someone can help me out with that.

"Byrth's slow effect was removed by Winds of Promyv.." or something
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2011-02-03 11:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Raising Earring, the LV1 Reraise earring from the tutorial quests, is listed as "Raising Earrings" in inventory. I highly doubt it was intentional since it only takes up one ear slot.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-02-03 11:27:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Very low priority, but... Floating flowers in Konschtat Highlands south of the Crag.
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2011-02-03 11:27:51
Link | Quote | Reply

stun jamadhar
stun jamadhars +1
Actually, the issue with these is the jobs that can equip them.

edit: some types of erases do this:
Quote:
Fredjan is no longer Attack Down
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2011-02-03 11:30:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Very low priority, but... Floating flowers in Konschtat Highlands south of the Crag.
I was typing up a response asking how this was related, but then I realized you said Konschtat and not La Theine.

Thought you were referring to these:

Then after I saw you said Konschtat, I immediately knew the exact location even though it's a rarely-traveled area.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-02-03 11:33:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree about the Erase message, but I would like to know specifically what type of erase does that. Do all Erases result in that message?
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-02-03 11:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Byrth, I don't think the La Theine flowers are a problem (Problem B7 in OP). I'm fairly sure they were programmed to do that. The ones in the Highlands are those small ones you see on the grass but about 6 yalms off the ground.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-02-03 11:36:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Touche, once I looked at the video I remembered. I vaguely remember some people decided that the Konschtat floating flowers were the result of a specific video card/active X/something configuration.
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-02-03 11:37:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said:
I agree about the Erase message, but I would like to know specifically what type of erase does that. Do all Erases result in that message?

I don't have the answer, but I wanted to pitch in!
It drives me nuts when I see that message - because I think it's just a bad translation or something. Some thing with "Terminus is no longer Dia." Oh well though, I guess.

Edit: Sorry, thought this was more of an informal thing - should have read op!

[+]
By Drjones 2011-02-03 11:40:07
Link | Quote | Reply

If you talk to one of the magian moogles(I forget which one) on a pre-75 character he gets huffy with you and starts speaking in Romaji.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2011-02-03 11:42:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Drjones said:
If you talk to one of the magian moogles(I forget which one) on a pre-75 character he gets huffy with you and starts speaking in Romaji.
I don't think this is an error. I think it's like how some NPCs have accents, speech impediments a la Taru/Mithra, etc, that Moogle just speaks in some Japanese.

Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-02-03 11:43:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I vaguely remember that Igqira Lappas or Genie Lappas showed show up in inventory (and must be macroed) as "Lappa" instead of "Lappas." I think it was Genie. Does anyone have a pair and can attest to it?
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-02-03 11:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

One thing that I think should be addressed that affects anyone in Abyssea is the Conflux Surveyor NPC. If you enter with 119 minutes, it gives you the option of adding one Traverser's Stone for 30+ minutes extra time. However, the NPC will only give you up to a total of 120 minutes. This is misleading and should be better described.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2011-02-03 11:45:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
Drjones said:
I don't think this is an error. I think it's like how some NPCs have accents, speech impediments a la Taru/Mithra, etc, that Moogle just speaks in some Japanese.

Yah on the JP client he (the Blue antenna moogle) actually says things in English-transcribed-into-katakana.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2011-02-03 11:47:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Schutz said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Drjones said:

Yah on the JP client he (the Blue antenna moogle) actually says things in English-transcribed-into-katakana.
 Bismarck.Ettalo
Server: Bismarck
user: ettalo
By Bismarck.Ettalo 2011-02-03 11:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply

A5) There is a recipe for a level 63 Great Katana whose Normal Quality result is "Kanesada +1" and whose High Quality result is "Shinkanesada". I imagine that you meant for the NQ to just be Kanesada.

Kanesada

kanesada +1

Kanesada is in fact an ingredient in making Kanesada +1, so I doubt that was their intention. I do think the whole line of g.katanas is pretty awkward, though.

Maybe kanesada > shikanesada/shikanesada+1? I don't know.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2011-02-03 11:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

beat me to it.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-02-03 11:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

And it's dumb that they don't just add Sojourns on to that number. It will let you spend a whole extra stone that gives you literally 0 time.

24 minutes upon entrance
Add 90 minutes (3 stones)
3 stones = +54 minutes from Sojourn abyssites (3*6 *3)
24+90+54 = 168 minutes, floored down to 120
168-120 = 48, a whole stone over the cap.

Still, that is about as far in the "we'd like this to be changed" direction as I want to go. It's obviously just lazy coding, as opposed to a coding error. Going to try to figure out how to add it though.

Bismarck.Ettalo said:
A5) There is a recipe for a level 63 Great Katana whose Normal Quality result is "Kanesada +1" and whose High Quality result is "Shinkanesada". I imagine that you meant for the NQ to just be Kanesada.

Kanesada

kanesada +1

Kanesada is in fact an ingredient in making Kanesada +1, so I doubt that was their intention. I do think the whole line of g.katanas is pretty awkward, though.

Maybe kanesada > shikanesada/shikanesada+1? I don't know.

Okay, fixed it
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-02-03 11:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

They don't necessarily have to change anything, but at least put some type of warning message that you can only have up to 120 minutes and any extra time after that will be lost. At least that would eliminate any confusion.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-02-03 11:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The key item auto translate issue is because of ps2 limitations and was addressed in a previous q and a (referring to b2)w
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-02-03 12:06:27
Link | Quote | Reply

scroll of Yurin: Ichi
jinko

Jinko: A ninjutsu tool, used in casting "Jinko."
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-02-03 12:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure if this is a type-o, but I would assume they both should say the same thing for the "Set:"

Twilight helm
Twilight mail

Edit:
Nevermind, ffxiah.com error.
 Asura.Kowen
Server: Asura
user: Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2011-02-03 12:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Engrish!

raptor ledelsens
dino ledersens

I'm surprised that this one was still around, it's been there for years.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-02-03 12:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Updated to include the latest posts.
 Phoenix.Fredjan
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2011-02-03 17:05:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
WHM casts Sacrifice on PersonA.
You absorb 1 of PersonA's status ailments.

Bahamut.Kujah
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Kujah 2011-02-03 17:13:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylvan Brague +1
Sylvan BragueS +2...
 Caitsith.Cyana
Server: Caitsith
user: Cyana
By Caitsith.Cyana 2011-02-03 17:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said:
I vaguely remember that Igqira Lappas or Genie Lappas showed show up in inventory (and must be macroed) as "Lappa" instead of "Lappas." I think it was Genie. Does anyone have a pair and can attest to it?

It's the Genie version as shown in SS below. Box says Lappas, item actually named Lappa.

Cerberus.Aydogan
Server: Cerberus
user: Aydogan
By Cerberus.Aydogan 2011-02-03 17:53:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Lancer's Schynbalds +2 say "Set: Attack occ. varies with wyrvern's HP". Drives me nuts.
First Page 2