Is There Ever Going To Be...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Is there ever going to be...
Is there ever going to be...
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Gilgamesh.Sanctferum
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
By Gilgamesh.Sanctferum 2011-01-31 18:03:54
Link | Quote | Reply

...new expansions or add-ons post Abyssea? Or was Heroes of Abyssea the last one, and SE is too busy with XIV? Or was Heroes the last one because of PS2 limitations?

Personally, I'm wondering about the plot hooks in and following Apocalypse Nigh, like Lion's dreams. And the fact that from what I've heard, only a quarter of Vana'diel is playable, and we haven't seen stuff like the Phoenix nation or the Mithra homeland or a whole bunch of other stuff, and WotG had us exploring Quon and Mindartia instead of any new place, and Abyssea takes place in an alternate Quon/Mindartia.

Has SE said anything about this?
[+]
 Leviathan.Tohihroyu
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Tohihroyu 2011-01-31 18:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

:/ so far it seems to be PS2 Limitations...though they did announce something about how it'll be updated so it can work. I honestly think they should drop PS2 support & move it to ps3.

also... Inb4Draylo :P

I do agree, they only add items or npc's from other nations and pardon my Q.Q-ing but its not fair! lol and by the AH area in Kazam theres an area a mithra is blocking off & she says something like "No, no, no no! this area is strrricly off limits!" maybe if far south is open that would be the way to some sort of new ship? lol
[+]
By Sevourn 2011-01-31 18:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Sanctferum said:
...new expansions or add-ons post Abyssea? Or was Heroes of Abyssea the last one, and SE is too busy with XIV? Or was Heroes the last one because of PS2 limitations?

Personally, I'm wondering about the plot hooks in and following Apocalypse Nigh, like Lion's dreams. And the fact that from what I've heard, only a quarter of Vana'diel is playable, and we haven't seen stuff like the Phoenix nation or the Mithra homeland or a whole bunch of other stuff, and WotG had us exploring Quon and Mindartia instead of any new place, and Abyssea takes place in an alternate Quon/Mindartia.

Has SE said anything about this?

xiv's critical and commercial reception probably means xi players will be seeing more expansions
[+]
 Leviathan.Niniann
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-01-31 18:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Would love to have the Mithra homeland, far east... etc. I'd be VERY surprised if it ever happened though.

Also male Mithra and race/gender chance prz. I wanna be a male kitty cat. :<
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-01-31 18:23:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Dear god, if they swapped to PS3 compatibility, I'd be in heaven.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Sanctferum
By Gilgamesh.Sanctferum 2011-01-31 18:25:46
Link | Quote | Reply

PS3 graphics, lack of PS2 limitations, and just about everything else...

DO WANT.

I'm practically drooling at the thought of it.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-31 18:28:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Would love to have the Mithra homeland, far east... etc. I'd be VERY surprised if it ever happened though.

and i wanna ne a nig... of wait galka/opo-opo

carry on
[+]
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
Server: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2011-01-31 18:32:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Just want to put this out there, it's two different teams working on XIV and XI. So just because the one team is busy, doesn't mean the other can't still do it's job.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-01-31 18:35:00
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a matter of fund-allocation, however. If XIV is tanking, yet XI is thriving, funds are likely to be placed back into XI's development team.
[+]
By Sevourn 2011-01-31 18:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Tohihroyu said:
:/ so far it seems to be PS2 Limitations...though they did announce something about how it'll be updated so it can work. I honestly think they should drop PS2 support & move it to ps3.

also... Inb4Draylo :P

I do agree, they only add items or npc's from other nations and pardon my Q.Q-ing but its not fair! lol and by the AH area in Kazam theres an area a mithra is blocking off & she says something like "No, no, no no! this area is strrricly off limits!" maybe if far south is open that would be the way to some sort of new ship? lol

as for new zones, that's not happening unless SE drops the PS2 once and for all

the ps2 partition devoted to FFXI is almost entirely out of space, making it near impossible to add new zones and retain ps2 compatibility

that's why they keep using re-skinned existing zones to get around the space limitation
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Smark
user: Smark
By Gilgamesh.Smark 2011-01-31 18:47:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:

I've been dreaming of something along the lines of this since Tenzen and the Shikarees first appeared in CoP. Also hopes of Pheonix from the Far East. But as all the Summoners know about the My Little Pony tease... *sigh*

Another direction they could go is back to meddling in the affairs of time to when each of the races were young. Or several other paths you can choose from. All involving Maws. Ideas of Vana'diel's History could be involved in several new expansions.

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/wiki/History_of_Vana%27diel

To be honest, I would just love a new zone where SE didn't do Copy & Paste over and over and over...
[+]
 Cerberus.Cruxus
user: Cruxus
By Cerberus.Cruxus 2011-01-31 18:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I never understood why there's been a problem with PS2 limitations as far as HDD space goes. While I never bought the official HDD with XI, I have a serial HDD inside my old Fat PS2 which I would imagine functions the same way the official one does. Unless XI for PS2 officially only recognizes a set amount of space (given only one official HDD was released), why couldn't ppl just go and find a larger HDD?

On a side note, SE needs to ditch the PS2 platform if they want to keep people on XI. PC's that can play XI mid to high end settings, are not that expensive anymore and 360's are dirt cheap with a decent HDD upgradeable limit. Just looking at it from a business stand point, SE hasn't been able to sustain their high game standards as of recent (I'm looking at you XIII, Last Rem., Infinite Undisc., etc.) Would be a smart move to ditch a dead platform, and focus on the sustainability of a game that is accepted and brings in a monthly revenue...but that's just me.
Server: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-01-31 18:51:35
Link | Quote | Reply

they might be worryed about the people who are only using ps2s not going to change over to xbox/pc/ps3 if they get rid of ps2 from ff11. depending on how many of them are they could be a big big blow to there profit and it might not be worth the risk.
By Sevourn 2011-01-31 18:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Cruxus said:
Unless XI for PS2 officially only recognizes a set amount of space (given only one official HDD was released), why couldn't ppl just go and find a larger HDD?

this is it, exactly. XI has a set partition on the hard drive and it won't recognize more space

unfortunately, it's sony that has control over that partitioning, not se, and sony isn't going to lift a finger over a game on an ancient console that makes them next to no money

incidentally, i'm with you 120% on dumping the dead weight that is the ps2. *** going from ps2 to ps3. go full pc onry and let's see some game changing, cataclysm-level expansions.
[+]
 Asura.Celene
Server: Asura
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2011-01-31 18:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I switched to PC from PS2 around when ToAU came out.

Why can't other PS2 users do the same? ;| Really, though, it's just holding the game back so much.
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2011-01-31 19:03:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Celene said:
I switched to PC from PS2 around when ToAU came out.

Why can't other PS2 users do the same? ;| Really, though, it's just holding the game back so much.

Because not everyone has the money for a computer nor the space/time/experience for one. Yes computers are far superior to consoles but just the convenience of a console is enough for some people to overlook the small details versus the game on a computer.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-01-31 19:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd bet that if you showed every PS2 user the difference that playing on PC can make (Windower, Scripts, Higher graphics resolution, etc.) most would consider switching.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-01-31 19:32:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:

NO

you dare
 Valefor.Ivaan
Server: Valefor
user: ivaan
By Valefor.Ivaan 2011-01-31 19:47:16
Link | Quote | Reply

how about if that path in norg by the ah that leads to the pirate ship route is opened and we can head out that way. argh they be rivetin' de ol' regin' yet then me says!
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Server: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2011-01-31 19:47:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oddin said:

Because not everyone has the money for a computer nor the space/time/experience for one
computers that can't run a 2002 game? holy ***.
[+]
 Valefor.Ivaan
By Valefor.Ivaan 2011-01-31 19:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fredjan said:
Sylph.Oddin said:

Because not everyone has the money for a computer nor the space/time/experience for one
computers that can't run a 2002 game? holy ***.

if you dont have one you still need to buy one, doesnt solve that problem lol
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-01-31 19:53:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello all, new expansion to the far east, new jobs a Time Mage and Geomancer and new summons Bahamut and Phoenix. You heard it here first ^^
[+]
 Bismarck.Robbyodom
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Robbyodom 2011-01-31 19:58:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Hello all, new expansion to the far east, new jobs a Time Mage and Geomancer and new summons Bahamut and Phoenix. You heard it here first ^^

Ive heard this a lot in-game and on random forums.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-01-31 19:58:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't understand all the disdain towards people who would like to see S-E drop PS2 for FFXI.

What is so wonderful about playing FFXI on PS2?
Is it just basic fear of change?

Seriously, if S-E did drop PS2 (whether it's realistic this would actually happen or not), I'm pretty sure the majority of FFXI players that were using PS2 would get on PC or PS3. There might be a handful of angry trench-diggers who wouldn't convert out of spite, fear, or principle, but in reality that would only be a few people, at least among NA players that I know. There would also be a handful of gamers that could legitimately say they can not afford a PS3 or new PC ... but I'm pretty sure a lot of very inexpensive used PCs could run FFXI just fine.

Maybe it's different in Japan? I don't know, maybe there's a tendency to worship or honor the PS2 in Japan? Given how advanced Japan is with technology and particularly with video gaming, it seems odd that Japanese folks would resist leaving PS2, but again, I'm not Japanese, so I can't say with certainty.
[+]
 Valefor.Ivaan
By Valefor.Ivaan 2011-01-31 20:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Robbyodom said:
Leviathan.Draylo said:

Ive heard this a lot in-game and on random forums.

lmao i read this in like every topic hehe ^_^
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-01-31 20:01:58
Link | Quote | Reply

It would be more beneficial for the game and userbase as a whole to drop PS2.

I still don't get how anyone can defend the PS2.
[+]
 Leviathan.Tohihroyu
By Leviathan.Tohihroyu 2011-01-31 20:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:
I'd bet that if you showed every PS2 user the difference that playing on PC can make (Windower, Scripts, Higher graphics resolution, etc.) most would consider switching.

You're forgetting .dat mods :P
[+]
 Valefor.Leith
user: Leith
By Valefor.Leith 2011-01-31 20:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, as a PS2 user, I have to say that I'm tired of all the hate on it, sure the PS2 is an ancient system thats completely obsolete, I'll give you that, but that doesn't mean that you should bash everyone who plays on it. A very large chunk of SE's consumer market is still PS2 users, and those who are still using PS2's, are (generally) still using them because they can't afford PS3's or as mentioned above, don't have the experience/room etc for a gaming PC. Personally, I do own a PS3, however its a slim, therefore I couldn't change to PS3 if I tried, unless SE released a PS3 set of disks, but even with that, I really wouldn't want to bust my wallet on a whole new set of the same game I've owned for eight years. As for why I don't use the PC I'm on right now for FFXI, thats because I have so much ***on it, and so many people use it that it would be unrealistic at best to think I'd be able to play an MMO. Yeah yeah, PS3 and PC and 360 all beat the PS2, but stop whining about "PS2 Limitations"...
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Sanctferum
By Gilgamesh.Sanctferum 2011-01-31 21:08:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Why should we stop whining about something that affects the quality of the game?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-01-31 21:15:46
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't need to pay a single dime extra.

If you have a PC that was made since... what, 2004? You can play this game just god damn fine on the PC.

PS2 is limiting the game's potential. SE should kill the damn PS2 already and let people download PC version for free.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5