Kill NM with a THF and nothing drops: "OMG TH IS A MYTH!!!"
This... a 100 times this!!!
 Siren.Eremes
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Eremes
By Siren.Eremes 2011-04-06 11:13:30
Link | Quote | Reply

TH Effectiveness probably has diminishing returns, so each additional +1 TH is less "effective" than the last.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [40 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Rebo
Server: Sylph
user: Rebo
By Sylph.Rebo 2011-05-16 21:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Now that we have a better understanding of TH, I really don't understand why I still see Thf's off-handing Thf's knife 100% of the time. ><; Lots of better options out there.
 Phoenix.Kirana
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-05-16 21:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Rebo said:
Now that we have a better understanding of TH, I really don't understand why I still see Thf's off-handing Thf's knife 100% of the time. ><; Lots of better options out there.
I see it all the time and it makes me die a little inside.
 Valefor.Integral
Server: Valefor
user: Caliber
By Valefor.Integral 2011-05-16 21:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

you are certain wearing +th gear while doing sneak attacks/trick attacks/etc will not increase the chance of an additional proc?
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-05-16 21:38:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Integral said:
you are certain wearing +th gear while doing sneak attacks/trick attacks/etc will not increase the chance of an additional proc?

about as certain as I am that intelligence doesn't increase my crit rate.
 Valefor.Integral
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Integral 2011-05-16 21:40:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:
Valefor.Integral said:

what about dexterity increasing shout range
 Sylph.Rebo
By Sylph.Rebo 2011-05-18 15:28:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Integral said:
Phoenix.Kirana said:
Valefor.Integral said:

what about dexterity increasing shout range

This is true actually, when i first heard this I tested it with a few people in Whitegate shouting for assaults.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-05-18 15:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Rebo said:

Situation depending, I'll keep my Thief's Knife offhanded.

For example, if I'm farming some NM and it needs a pop item, I'll keep my Knife on for the pop item mobs (and depending on how lazy/forgetful I am that day, the NM too sometimes >_>;)

Sometimes it's just too much lost TP/time wasted continually swapping knives in and out.

The people I don't get, are the ones in EXP/Cruor PT's or something who use it >_>;
[+]
 Sylph.Rebo
By Sylph.Rebo 2011-05-18 16:03:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Sylph.Rebo said:

For example, if I'm farming some NM and it needs a pop item, I'll keep my Knife on for the pop item mobs (and depending on how lazy/forgetful I am that day, the NM too sometimes >_>;)

Sometimes it's just too much lost TP/time wasted continually swapping knives in and out.

The people I don't get, are the ones in EXP/Cruor PT's or something who use it >_>;

I agree for small stuff its kool, as for long fights where a thf's damage is a factor, I would def start with your th gear, hit it once then lose the thf knife. You only need to hit it with your th gear on... 1 time the whole fight.
 Fenrir.Curty
Server: Fenrir
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2011-05-18 16:12:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I was one who always believed that keeping TH on increased the chances of tiering up, so I kept Assasing/+2boots/TK on 24/7 (except for WS of course) until I reached th10 (with dread atma). So I believe you guys are saying that this is unnecesary, and I need only hit it once with those 3 items equipped and then macro them out?

Also, if it works this way, I have another question... If you have two thfs, need only one get dread atma and wear the 3 TH boosting gear and hit the mob and then both will have an equal chance of tiering it up after that?
 Sylph.Rebo
By Sylph.Rebo 2011-05-18 16:16:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Curty said:
I was one who always believed that keeping TH on increased the chances of tiering up, so I kept Assasing/+2boots/TK on 24/7 (except for WS of course) until I reached th10 (with dread atma). So I believe you guys are saying that this is unnecesary, and I need only hit it once with those 3 items equipped and then macro them out?

Also, if it works this way, I have another question... If you have two thfs, need only one get dread atma and wear the 3 TH boosting gear and hit the mob and then both will have an equal chance of tiering it up after that?

Its currently unconfirmed exactly what the chances/conditions need be met to increase the rate of "procing it up" (as far as i have heard? maybe dif now) but yes as for the first part, you need only hit it once w/ your TH gear on. This has been verified by, hitting it once, swapping out gear, and then later in the fight it going directly to th7 w/o the original th gear on.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-05-18 16:17:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Rebo said:
I agree for small stuff its kool, as for long fights where a thf's damage is a factor, I would def start with your th gear, hit it once then lose the thf knife. You only need to hit it with your th gear on... 1 time the whole fight.

I totally agree, if I expect the mob to live more than ~5min I'll swap out my knife for something slightly more suitable XD

Fenrir.Curty said:
I believe you guys are saying that this is unnecesary, and I need only hit it once with those 3 items equipped and then macro them out?

As far as I know (I haven't really spent much time reading about TH since they updated it), you're right on both of those. As far as I know, the highest TH will proc as "base", then each THF gets an equal chance to raise it to its highest level.
 Fenrir.Curty
Server: Fenrir
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2011-05-18 16:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess this could be easily tested, bring a thf out with base th3 and base th7, let the th7 hit it once and then let the th3 try procing. Compare results to th7 procing himself. If don't experience much difference, we have our answer.
 Bismarck.Nevill
Server: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-05-18 16:21:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Sylph.Rebo said:

Same here, totally depends on how fast the mob dies.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2011-05-18 16:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice to see that this thread i made ages ago is helpful to some :)
 Sylph.Rebo
By Sylph.Rebo 2011-05-18 16:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said:
Nice to see that this thread i made ages ago is helpful to some :)

I had thought about posting a thread similar awhile ago, but decided to search before hand so I didn't get the classic re-thread. Glad to see I found it.
 Cerberus.Wojo
Server: Cerberus
user: Wojo
By Cerberus.Wojo 2011-05-18 16:26:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure SE just sits back and laughs at people trying to obtain gear and using items in such a way that nobody can prove as effective. Crafting compass for example and this stuff.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-05-18 16:27:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Has there been any new testing about how TH actually affects monster drop rates?

The most recent testing I can think of was on BG over a year ago, still at the 75 cap with no "real" TH3.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-05-18 16:37:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Just to clarify, you do NOT need to "hit" the mob at all for TH to proc, you merely need to swing at it or throw something at it. It can miss and TH will still proc. Tested this with bounty shot awhile ago and BS had no effect after a missed RA.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Pyroelf
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Pyroelf
By Quetzalcoatl.Pyroelf 2011-05-18 17:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said:
Just to clarify, you do NOT need to "hit" the mob at all for TH to proc, you merely need to swing at it or throw something at it. It can miss and TH will still proc. Tested this with bounty shot awhile ago and BS had no effect after a missed RA.

Square said themselves years back all you need to do is produce enmity on a mob to activate TH >.>
 Sylph.Rebo
By Sylph.Rebo 2011-05-18 19:50:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Correct, my mistake, just have to get on the hate ladder in some way or another.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-05-18 20:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Curty said:
I guess this could be easily tested, bring a thf out with base th3 and base th7, let the th7 hit it once and then let the th3 try procing. Compare results to th7 procing himself. If don't experience much difference, we have our answer.
It has been tested many times already :)

edit: nvm I missread that. But I'm fairly certain the only way to change the proc-rate is by using SA/TA
 Phoenix.Fondue
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-05-18 20:07:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Integral said:

testing on this?
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [410 days between previous and next post]
 Leviathan.Browolf
Server: Leviathan
user: browolf
By Leviathan.Browolf 2012-07-01 17:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I seem to be the worst thf ever. never seen more than th7. with knife & +2 feet.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2012-07-01 17:41:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Browolf said: »
I seem to be the worst thf ever. never seen more than th7. with knife & +2 feet.
Anything above that is pretty much placebo anyways.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [36 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Fireflame
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rieekil
By Ragnarok.Fireflame 2012-08-06 18:39:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Quick question for TH gear do I have to keep em on till first proc or just the first hit? Speakin about dyna solo where I don't get to solo SA nd keep it to WS on the mob after red procs
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2012-08-06 18:40:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Just the first hit is fine. Don't need to see a level up.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9