Is Skill Even A Factore Anymore?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Is skill even a factore anymore?
Is skill even a factore anymore?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-18 18:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lilsanchez said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
II actually care how my jobs preform.

That's key point for all players who want to actually be a good player. When you level up a job fast, You going to keep it gimped, or you going to actually take your time and get your WSs, cap your skills and complete everything that's required of you to actually let the job perform at it's best.

I mean really, I'm actually really tired of finding myself stuck in groups that don't care to have even decent gear or do decent damage or would rather not care about contributing their fullest support. People who don't care to have the right weapon skills. They are all easily spotted. We don't need to point them out to everybody else and make them look dumb to everyone.

I get somewhat irritated when people think it's okay to join parties with full AF1 at Lv90, or complete their Skill Level 200-230 weapon skill trials in parties. People who don't think it would be nice to get "most" of their skill ups outside of abyssea parties. They rather join an abyssea party and under-perform everybody without second thoughts of how it might make them look.

It's really upto any player if they want to be a good player or it's really upto them if they just want to have fun reguardless if being really good at their job isn't on their agenda.

As much as a lot of us would really like to not have to play with these people. It's not our job to judge them. It's not our job to force them to play any way they don't want too.

Keep on truck'n people. It's just a game right?

I can be pretty mean, but trust me I really don't try to be.
would you rather they not do it in the first place? ;)
/wave
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2011-01-18 18:53:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Ramuh.Lilsanchez said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
II actually care how my jobs preform.
That's key point for all players who want to actually be a good player. When you level up a job fast, You going to keep it gimped, or you going to actually take your time and get your WSs, cap your skills and complete everything that's required of you to actually let the job perform at it's best. I mean really, I'm actually really tired of finding myself stuck in groups that don't care to have even decent gear or do decent damage or would rather not care about contributing their fullest support. People who don't care to have the right weapon skills. They are all easily spotted. We don't need to point them out to everybody else and make them look dumb to everyone. I get somewhat irritated when people think it's okay to join parties with full AF1 at Lv90, or complete their Skill Level 200-230 weapon skill trials in parties. People who don't think it would be nice to get "most" of their skill ups outside of abyssea parties. They rather join an abyssea party and under-perform everybody without second thoughts of how it might make them look. It's really upto any player if they want to be a good player or it's really upto them if they just want to have fun reguardless if being really good at their job isn't on their agenda. As much as a lot of us would really like to not have to play with these people. It's not our job to judge them. It's not our job to force them to play any way they don't want too. Keep on truck'n people. It's just a game right? I can be pretty mean, but trust me I really don't try to be.
would you rather they not do it in the first place? ;) /wave

That's true and /wave!
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-18 18:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally haven't went to abyssea for that specific reason that my skill is under leveled.
that and i'm a big ole slowpoke stoner-poner.
[+]
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2011-01-18 18:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
I personally haven't went to abyssea for that specific reason that my skill is under leveled. that and i'm a big ole slowpoke stoner-poner.

I mean really, there is underskilled. Then there is really underskilled! To the point your doing 1s and 0s, and you have to be honest. Thats in the Lv70 WSNM quest range skill. I joined a party today with 2 of them. Anywho, abyssea was just 1 example. Imagin trying to do some tough seal NMs with people who think it's ok to use them... That's just a slap, what's going through your mind! Type thing.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-18 19:00:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lilsanchez said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
I personally haven't went to abyssea for that specific reason that my skill is under leveled. that and i'm a big ole slowpoke stoner-poner.

I mean really, there is underskilled. Then there is really underskilled! To the point your doing 1s and 0s, and you have to be honest. Thats in the Lv70 WSNM quest range skill. I joined a party today with 2 of them. Anywho, abyssea was just 1 example. Imagin trying to do some tough seal NMs with people who think it's ok to use them... That's just a slap, what's going through your mind! Type thing.
I'd be getting pissed if I were hitting 1's and 0's.
I'll eventually take my galka legs to abyssea, but I'mma just let some stones build up for now because I got that all ready to go pretty late after the release.
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2011-01-18 19:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd be embarrassed if I hit for like 20 dmg at lvl 90.

Good thing I don't play DD jobs, all my non magic skills are like 150ish ^^;
[+]
 Shiva.Durtiesweat
Server: Shiva
user: Durtie
By Shiva.Durtiesweat 2011-01-18 19:20:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lilsanchez said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

This is my point and why i posted this thread. But now it seems my gear is under attack. D'oh well!
 Bismarck.Murdoc
Server: Bismarck
user: Shiginobi
By Bismarck.Murdoc 2011-01-18 19:30:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Just because someone isn't an experienced end-gamer, it doesn't mean that they are an inexperienced player. Every game is going to have their share of high level noobs who really don't have a clue as to what they're doing, and the only way to fight against that is to either teach them the proper techniques, or kick them out of whatever party you're in. That is sadly unavoidable. I disagree with the statement made that going through regular xp parties to get to endgame doesn't help your skill progression. You get a whole lot of practice against different types of mobs, not just colibris, and and that teaches you different tactics that you wouldn't learn by sitting in Abyssea.

Anyway, I wasn't referring to developing endgame skills, I was referring to developing the basic skills that you need in order to develop endgame skills. Sitting in Abyssea and not doing ANYTHING is harmful to those people who actually want to take the time to develop real skills, and whether you agree with me or not, the truth is that getting XP in the more traditional sense WILL help develop the basic skills you need in order to learn endgame tactics.

Don't think for a minute that SE couldn't change the level cap to enter Abyssea if enough people wanted them to. They took the level cap off of COP areas to make things easier for players, why wouldn't they adjust the Aby min. level to make things harder? Coulda shoulda woulda doesn't really apply to an online game when patches are so easy to introduce and changes can be made with relative ease.

Again, though, the bigger problem that I have with Abyssea is the lack of people wanting to do anything anywhere else, thus giving generations of new players one really tough choice: either level in Abyssea and stay a noob forever, or quit the game entirely out of frustration. There is no reason they can't up the level in Abyssea so that it focuses on endgame, which is what it's supposed to be about anyway.
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
Server: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2011-01-18 19:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

What is skill?
Can I smn burn to get some?
[+]
 Shiva.Gylfie
user: Gylfie
By Shiva.Gylfie 2011-01-18 19:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

A "skilled" player is an experienced player. 'Nuff said.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-18 19:35:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Gylfie said:
A "skilled" player is an experienced player. 'Nuff said.
there needs to be more said!
:D
 Cerberus.Nutt
Server: Cerberus
user: zuriel
By Cerberus.Nutt 2011-01-18 19:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Terribad players have always been around, some of them are just more noticeable now.

This guy always makes me laugh.
 Bismarck.Murdoc
By Bismarck.Murdoc 2011-01-18 19:38:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
What is skill? Can I smn burn to get some?

LOL
 Shiva.Gylfie
By Shiva.Gylfie 2011-01-18 19:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, skilled players can also spell factor. Thats right, I went there OP.
 Shiva.Ergiyios
user: Ergiyios
By Shiva.Ergiyios 2011-01-18 19:43:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought this thread was about actual skill ie dark, elemental, enfeb, etc....Not about gear and player skill. Prob is it takes A LOT of time to do these things, and that in my opinion is why no one does it. That and the astral candescence is taken daily on shiva so easy skill is harder to come by. (magic) Unless you get a group of friends who are bored enough to come skill with you in the tree...
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2011-01-18 19:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I certainly don't consider myself elistist at all, and am very easy-going, so I tend to think (perhaps naively) that even underskilled players would take it on themselves to skill up a bit later after some Abyssean "power-leveling".

That being said, it is annoying when players are tasked with something relating to their "preferred job" (i.e. the one they want to bring to fight NMs or something important) and they can't do the responsiblity they are taking on. Examples would be DDs that say "Oh sorry I can't do that WS because I didn't quest it" or opt out of being responsible for a WS because their skill level in that A or B skill is too low....or a BLU that is requested to be responsible to do a yellow-!!-trigger, but opts out because they never got the spell.

But again, I give the benefit of the doubt in the hopes that next time (pick-up party or LS event or whatever) that these individuals will take it on themselves to at least get these functions germane to their job duties cleared out during their free time, out of a sense of teamwork--even if they might consider skilling up or spell collection to be a low personal priority otherwise. ;_;
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2011-01-18 19:45:21
Link | Quote | Reply

It can mean both. Skilled players really should have their job skills capped. Am I wrong?
 Shiva.Gylfie
By Shiva.Gylfie 2011-01-18 19:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lilsanchez said:
It can mean both. Skilled players really should have their job skills capped. Am I wrong?
So very wrong, only the truly skilled players leech all their jobs in abyssea so their ffxiah rating goes up.
[+]
 Bismarck.Murdoc
By Bismarck.Murdoc 2011-01-18 19:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lilsanchez said:

I am by no means a Nazi when it comes to having job skills capped. I know how hard it is to get every skill for every job up to cap. However, people should take enough pride in their character to have their skills at least close to the cap, and should be able to understand and perform the duties required of their particular job. Wouldn't it be better for players to at least get most of their levels the hard way and learn most of those duties, than just sit in abyssea and try to solo/duo/trio their skills up to cap later? Maybe you get the job skills eventually, but you don't really learn anything about how to play that job.
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2011-01-18 19:54:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Gylfie said:
Ramuh.Lilsanchez said:
So very wrong, only the truly skilled players leech all their jobs in abyssea so their ffxiah rating goes up.

That comment officially makes you fail. Go spar with other people in threads that actually welcome crap.
 Shiva.Jamaal
user: Jamaal
By Shiva.Jamaal 2011-01-18 19:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

lol
[+]
 Bismarck.Murdoc
By Bismarck.Murdoc 2011-01-18 19:58:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Murdoc said:
Ramuh.Lilsanchez said:
I am by no means a Nazi when it comes to having job skills capped. I know how hard it is to get every skill for every job up to cap. However, people should take enough pride in their character to have their skills at least close to the cap, and should be able to understand and perform the duties required of their particular job. Wouldn't it be better for players to at least get most of their levels the hard way and learn most of those duties, than just sit in abyssea and try to solo/duo/trio their skills up to cap later? Maybe you get the job skills eventually, but you don't really learn anything about how to play that job.

One exception, of course, is monks. All you do with monk is point your fists at it, hit it, ws, repeat. Nobody needs actual skill for that lol.
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2011-01-18 20:00:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Murdoc said:
Ramuh.Lilsanchez said:

I very much agree to that, but people have to actually want to support that event they are in. Keep in mind if your joining an event while being underskilled, you (not you personally) are undercutting the actual performance of everyone, the group as a whole that's with you. It's a matter of whether you want to be considerate of others or not as well. Not selfish reasons.
 Bismarck.Murdoc
By Bismarck.Murdoc 2011-01-18 20:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I very much agree to that, but people have to actually want to support that event they are in. Keep in mind if your joining an event while being underskilled, you (not you personally) are undercutting the actual performance of everyone, the group as a whole that's with you. It's a matter of whether you want to be considerate of others or not as well. Not selfish reasons.[/quote]

I am in total agreement, but i'm talking about only a few levels, like having skills comparable to a level 87 character as opposed to your 90 job level. Maybe you're not doing the absolute best, but you can still be a major contributor as long as you know what you're doing.
 Shiva.Gylfie
By Shiva.Gylfie 2011-01-18 20:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lilsanchez said:
Shiva.Gylfie said:
Ramuh.Lilsanchez said:

That comment officially makes you fail. Go spar with other people in threads that actually welcome crap.
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2011-01-18 20:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Murdoc said:

Ramuh.Lilsanchez said:
I very much agree to that, but people have to actually want to support that event they are in. Keep in mind if your joining an event while being underskilled, you (not you personally) are undercutting the actual performance of everyone, the group as a whole that's with you. It's a matter of whether you want to be considerate of others or not as well. Not selfish reasons.
I am in total agreement, but i'm talking about only a few levels, like having skills comparable to a level 87 character as opposed to your 90 job level. Maybe you're not doing the absolute best, but you can still be a major contributor as long as you know what you're doing.

Yea that's ok. I mean if you arnt that far off cap at all. That's totally acceptable. By all means. That's why people get invited from 75 to 90 into Abyssea partys. I guess it's just, well for example today I was invited to a party with this Lv90 DRG, weilding a Pole of Trials. Hitting for 0s and most of the time not even landing any hits. So, I'm wondering.. How is that not wrong?

That's kinda iffy iffy then though. If that person might have had been using the right atmas, or using Stalwarts or whatever. They would be hitting for more then 0s and landing more hits. Guess it goes like you said. It can become acceptable, just as long as they know what they are doing.
 Cerberus.Starr
Server: Cerberus
user: Starr
By Cerberus.Starr 2011-01-18 20:21:27
Link | Quote | Reply

90% of the players I play with in pick up exp/seal farm or what not, let them be on WHM or MNK and give them someone else of the other job with the same skill and lacklustre brain and they couldn't duo the easiest of things - I am certain of this, so yes skill is still a factor.

Are there tons of above mentioned people out there with great gear? Yes.
Is that any different than the last 6 years?
No.
 Leviathan.Raborn
Server: Leviathan
user: Raborn
By Leviathan.Raborn 2011-01-18 21:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

One of these is his gaming console, can you guess?

Live by the game die by the game.

Drumroll please:
Real skill - Teaching your *** hamster to play FOR you while you are out.

And there's always this too:
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Alexander.Luwu
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Luwu 2011-01-18 23:31:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Not that I don't like the subject but why ask the same question over and over again about why this and that... It gets old =\
[+]