how to give FFXI up
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-01-17 15:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Riddick said:
Take the three week challenge. I played this game daily since 2005. I missed so much life. Real life people. December 21 I took advantage of family coming for holidays. To my surprise after about 4 days of changing my pattern of playing at night I felt better. Now nearly a month and I realize the hold this game had on me. Next time I log ill be deactivating my account. No desire to return. Thanks for a great game SE. Unfortunately it does not go on forever. Thanks to all the friends I met. Time to move on. Ask yourself if you could take time off the game people. If you still love it after a couple weeks your set. But like a drug you have to remove it to control it.

Cool, sucks you couldn't control yourself, too bad that doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else. Quit preaching.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-17 15:27:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Get a job that works you so hard you can't really play
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-01-17 15:40:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretend you didn't like some changes made in the game or you had "better things to do" but then come back and comment on every single thread during my entire work day :x

Oh, and make sure every post is snarky and shows that you were clearly embittered by leaving.

:3
 Unicorn.Krispey
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Krispey 2011-01-17 15:44:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Basically I've been analyzing my playtime as well as have come up with 2 different paths, I can do one of:

A) Play the game, spend 25$ a month on it (2 Chars), Minimize the amount of money I spend in RL to utilize into my Savings by not being out and about spending money on ***. Usually Adds up to about 400$ a month.

B) Go out and be active with people doing ***, out to dinner 4x a week or whatever, gas here and there (Drive a Truck, not pretty) Cover charges, movies, lunch out, blah blah. Usually, as stated above, runs in an excess of about 400+ a month.

Now, dependent upon your personal goals, either option might suffice for you, but my goal is to move Fall '11 to a new town, start on my Masters, in a town where I know no one, or nothing. Logic picks Option A, being frugal and allowing my savings to build in excess. However, this is a very depressing and mundane choice, as I am a sociable person and enjoy (For the most part) Interacting with others outside of my job, so option B is more appealing, but more detrimental to my over all goal.

There in lies the person struggle that I am sure not just myself has, to pick the path that either makes you happy now, or happy later. Path A pretty much give you an "Excuse" to play the game, or justification, whilst B is allowing you little to no playtime.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2011-01-17 15:57:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Catnipthief said:
Cerberus.Starr said:
You'll be back

Just keep saying that :p

I quit xi ... hmm... almost 3 months now?

Then again I went from one addiction to the other :x

I dont get stuff like this. If you quit 3 months ago why are u still on this site/forumz? No offense to you just using it as example
 Asura.Tot
Server: Asura
By Asura.Tot 2011-01-17 16:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

its just a game guys
good for you if you stoped a game from controlling(?) you ;)
i think the only thing that keeps people playing mmo's is the social factors take the community away and you have noting but a game, like playing chess with yourself all day :D
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-01-17 16:06:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Dova said:
Cerberus.Starr said:
You'll be back

I dont get stuff like this. If you quit 3 months ago why are u still on this site/forumz? No offense to you just using it as example

You can make friends on websites and forums you know.

I don't play XI any more, but I still like speaking to my friends on here.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-17 16:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Pretend you didn't like some changes made in the game or you had "better things to do" but then come back and comment on every single thread during my entire work day :x

Oh, and make sure every post is snarky and shows that you were clearly embittered by leaving.

:3
I lol'd alot. He's playing again btw but like old content onry
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
user: dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2011-01-17 16:09:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Quetzalcoatl.Dova said:
Cerberus.Starr said:
You'll be back

Ahhh touche.
 Bismarck.Angeleus
Server: Bismarck
user: Munky
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-01-17 16:11:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Quetzalcoatl.Dova said:
Cerberus.Starr said:
You'll be back

True. However, you can't go to hooters with friends on here.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-01-17 16:12:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Angeleus said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Quetzalcoatl.Dova said:
Cerberus.Starr said:
You'll be back

We don't have hooters in the UK :( Just giant rooms where we watch condensation on windows and discuss cricket.
[+]
 Bismarck.Angeleus
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-01-17 16:17:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

We don't have hooters in the UK :( Just giant rooms where we watch condensation on windows and discuss cricket.

O_o

As for myself i would die.
[+]
 Siren.Jingles
Server: Siren
user: Jingles
By Siren.Jingles 2011-01-17 16:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I've quit with every intention of never coming back three times. The first time I deleted my character, but ended up coming back on a new character after a little under a year. The second time I didn't even last a month. This past time, I lasted maybe 4 months.
If this game is as big of a time sink for you as it was for me, you are going to need to do a lot to keep yourself busy and your mind off the game. I started to play WoW as a way to wean me off MMOs, but it didn't hold my attention the same way. If you sincerely want to quit, uninstall everything, delete any macros you may have saved, and try not to talk to people who still play as often. Also, don't read about updates, etc.
This time coming back, I've decided to play for myself, only play with friends when I want to, and to not run with a linkshell. It has cut back on my frustration with the game and has probably cut back on my play time. I get on when I feel like it and don't when I'd rather do something else. I don't feel obligated to play. With Abyssea, it's a lot more feasible to play with a low man group than with an entire LS, so this playstyle is actually easier. It might be something to consider if you'd like to wean yourself off.

To those who say that video games are simply a hobby and not an addiction, that's like saying alcoholism isn't an addiction. Yes, there are people who drink for social reasons or are enthusiasts who never develop a problem. There are others who drink to escape problems. Video games, especially MMOs, are a "great" escape from the realities and disappointments of life. Video games provide a fantasy world where a total loser can become the greatest hero of all time. MMOs are a massive time sink where success is correlated to time played/effort, and where others can acknowledge your accomplishments, unlike real life. Some might end up preferring it over real life, hence getting sucked up into it.
If you have never been addicted to an MMO or video game, count yourself lucky, but don't discount others' suffering. It really exists, and it's not "silly".
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Hanbok
Server: Gilgamesh
user: hanbok
By Gilgamesh.Hanbok 2011-01-17 16:32:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Bismarck.Angeleus said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Quetzalcoatl.Dova said:
Cerberus.Starr said:
You'll be back

i like cricket, one of my favorite weapons on LFD2
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2011-01-17 16:42:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Dova said:
Cerberus.Starr said:
You'll be back

Keeping in touch with friends, keeping social and up to date on new stuff.

Never know, might see something I like and give it a shot again.

Bismarck.Angeleus
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-01-17 16:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Dova said:
Cerberus.Starr said:
You'll be back

face-book?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kyorie
user: Kyorie
By Quetzalcoatl.Kyorie 2011-01-17 16:54:18
Link | Quote | Reply

grow up? idk.
 Bismarck.Angeleus
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-01-17 16:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kyorie said:
grow up? idk.

Grow up to keep in touch with friends?
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-17 16:56:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Jingles said:
I've quit with every intention of never coming back three times. The first time I deleted my character, but ended up coming back on a new character after a little under a year. The second time I didn't even last a month. This past time, I lasted maybe 4 months.
If this game is as big of a time sink for you as it was for me, you are going to need to do a lot to keep yourself busy and your mind off the game. I started to play WoW as a way to wean me off MMOs, but it didn't hold my attention the same way. If you sincerely want to quit, uninstall everything, delete any macros you may have saved, and try not to talk to people who still play as often. Also, don't read about updates, etc.
This time coming back, I've decided to play for myself, only play with friends when I want to, and to not run with a linkshell. It has cut back on my frustration with the game and has probably cut back on my play time. I get on when I feel like it and don't when I'd rather do something else. I don't feel obligated to play. With Abyssea, it's a lot more feasible to play with a low man group than with an entire LS, so this playstyle is actually easier. It might be something to consider if you'd like to wean yourself off.

To those who say that video games are simply a hobby and not an addiction, that's like saying alcoholism isn't an addiction. Yes, there are people who drink for social reasons or are enthusiasts who never develop a problem. There are others who drink to escape problems. Video games, especially MMOs, are a "great" escape from the realities and disappointments of life. Video games provide a fantasy world where a total loser can become the greatest hero of all time. MMOs are a massive time sink where success is correlated to time played/effort, and where others can acknowledge your accomplishments, unlike real life. Some might end up preferring it over real life, hence getting sucked up into it.
If you have never been addicted to an MMO or video game, count yourself lucky, but don't discount others' suffering. It really exists, and it's not "silly".
why is it not "silly"?
your paragraphs did not express otherwise.
you could have made a way better argument as to why MMO's are an addiction IMO.

comparing it to a physical addiction just doesnt't work as well IMO :/
psychological addictions and foibles would be way better of an example.
playing the game becomes more of a compulsion than anything for some which is more liken to OCD than being addicted to a substance :P

You play a game as an out for reality,eventually that out doesn't cut it and you have to move on to better methods to drown out the world.

best way to maintain a psychological addiction is to manage how much you do something, when you do it...all that.
when you do it to make an escape on reality, your mind sets it as a sort of comfort zone.
but then inversely if it doesn't behave the way you like it that comfort zone can flip it's ***quite easily and not be so comforting.
best thing to do is to get addicted to ***that doesn't wear or evolve by time as easily :P
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2011-01-17 17:02:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Angeleus said:
Quetzalcoatl.Dova said:
Cerberus.Starr said:
You'll be back

face-book?

You must've missed the point I said about keeping up with the game right?

Don't think facefail covers that.

First hand experience from a game is a good way to ascertain if it's worthwhile or not.

Quetzalcoatl.Kyorie said:
grow up? idk.

I don't understand?
 Siren.Jingles
By Siren.Jingles 2011-01-17 17:05:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
comparing it to a physical addiction just doesnt't work as well IMO :/
psychological addictions and foibles would be way better of an example.
playing the game becomes more of a compulsion than anything for some which is more liken to OCD :P

I suppose I was trying to suggest the seriousness of the matter, but you're right, it is a poor comparison.
Regardless, it's pretty much in a video game's code to be addictive, especially with MMOs. This article actually has a lot of good points. Even linkshell gear/item systems are typically geared towards encouraging players to spend more time online than offline (point systems come to mind).
I guess I wanted to point out that, while for some, quitting is no big deal, for others, the game isn't simply "just a game".
 Siren.Jingles
By Siren.Jingles 2011-01-17 17:10:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
best way to maintain a psychological addiction is to manage how much you do something, when you do it...all that.
when you do it to make an escape on reality, your mind sets it as a sort of comfort zone.
but then inversely if it doesn't behave the way you like it that comfort zone can flip it's ***quite easily and not be so comforting.
best thing to do is to get addicted to ***that doesn't wear or evolve by time as easily :P

That's what I was trying to say. Since I stopped playing with a LS, my playtime has significantly decreased because I am making an effort to make it a hobby or way to kill boredom. I don't feel any obligation to log on or guilt when I don't. It's been a lot nicer :)
 Carbuncle.Ahlyana
Server: Carbuncle
user: Ahlyana
By Carbuncle.Ahlyana 2011-01-17 17:26:14
Link | Quote | Reply

A Word to Our Players:

Exploring Vana'diel is a thrilling experience.
During your time here, you will be able to talk, join,
and adventure with many other individuals in an experience
that is unique to online games.

That being said, we have no desire to see your real life
suffer as a consequence.
Don't forget your family, your friends, your school,
or your work.

SE Disclaimer viewed by millions of players everyday to remind us that -- oh hell Just hit Play.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Alnitak
By Carbuncle.Alnitak 2011-01-17 17:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kirana said:
People who think of a video game as an addiction are silly. It is much more akin to a hobby or a collection. Granted one may become obsessed with a hobby or collection to the point which it interferes with life, but if it makes one happy without interfering with the lives of others, there is nothing wrong about it.

no

collections don't get mad at you for going afk to answer the door

most hobbies don't have you engaging in assembly line behavior for hours on end to upgrade a weapon

your collection doesn't require you to show up for several hours at regularly scheduled times and pull guilt trips on you when you don't

i'm not saying the game can't be played without an addiction, but comparing it to a hobby is a subpar analogy

and comparing it to a collection is a downright abysmal analogy

Carbuncle.Alnitak
By Carbuncle.Alnitak 2011-01-17 17:33:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Wombat said:
The realization that made me quit FFXI:

500 days playtime.

Translated into 8 hour work days, that's 1500 days.

That's longer than it took me to finish my Bachelor's.

I began to wonder what else I could have done with that time.

What clinched it was this thought: I could have become fluent in 2 or 3 languages... maybe more.

/depressed quit

Edit: I do still log in occasionally to talk to friends and see what's new. I find it less tempting to come back when I don't cut myself off completely.

how bout when you realize you have more accumulated knowledge of ffxi than you do your major?
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2011-01-17 17:55:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Alnitak said:
Wombat said:

500 days playtime.

What clinched it was this thought: I could have become fluent in 2 or 3 languages... maybe more.

/depressed quit

Edit: I do still log in occasionally to talk to friends and see what's new. I find it less tempting to come back when I don't cut myself off completely.

how bout when you realize you have more accumulated knowledge of ffxi than you do your major?
I dunno if accumulated playtime=accumulated knowledge :/
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-01-17 18:01:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Carbuncle.Alnitak said:
Wombat said:

500 days playtime.

/depressed quit

Nope, it doesn't, especially not with becoming "fluent" in 2 or 3 (or maybe more...lmao) languages.
 Carbuncle.Alnitak
By Carbuncle.Alnitak 2011-01-17 18:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Carbuncle.Alnitak said:
Wombat said:

500 days playtime.

/depressed quit

that's true, they are separate arenas entirely, and some people will play for years and fulltime pink @ 90

nevertheless, i've spent more time studying formulas and gear arcana, and have more of it in my head than i have from any class i've ever taken

depressing as that fact may be :/
By Wombat 2011-01-17 18:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Carbuncle.Alnitak said:
Wombat said:
500 days playtime.
/depressed quit

I know more about my major than I do FFXI. However, I'm quite passionate about what I majored in, so my knowledge of it isn't really limited to what I learned back then.