SquareEnix Earnings Call
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Bismarck.Hulksmash
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Hulksmash
By Bismarck.Hulksmash 2012-01-10 09:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Final Fantasy was given it's original name because it was meant to be Square's last game. They have kept the series going because it saved the company from bankruptcy but if they continue with their current earnings for FFXIV it will live up to the name.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Forsell
Server: Lakshmi
user: Forsell
By Lakshmi.Forsell 2012-01-10 09:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aurilius said: »

I said on these forums on many occasions how much the game sucked when I played it during the end of the Beta, but people were so naive to believe all the bugs would come out in the last month or two. Well the bugs didn't go anywhere.

I gave up on the BETA when it took me a week to update it. Then all that fun with trying to log in .. Nice graphics though. Apart from that it sucked.
By astoy05 2012-01-10 12:57:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey just a suggestion, but since this thread has been unearthed with a more than a year necro bump, can anyone post any information regarding the current financial state of the game? I don't really even know where to start looking. I'm sure everyone is very interested to hear all of the haters talk ***about the game (/sarcasm) but how about some facts about where the game stands now? Or is it too early to say with the pay to play just recently starting?

It might not be as large as other MMOs (and I could honestly not care less about other MMOs), but there is a player base here which enjoys the game, and is interested to know where it stands financially, both for the present and looking to the future. I'm pretty sure that was the original intent of the thread anyway.

And for all you FFXI die-hards, why don't you go slam FFXIV somewhere else, hmmm here's a suggestion... FFXIAH.COM. I'm not sure this is the right place for you
[+]
 Fenrir.Vazerus
Server: Fenrir
user: Vazerus
By Fenrir.Vazerus 2012-01-10 13:01:01
Link | Quote | Reply

This forum is also accessed via ffxiah.com.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/15859/squareenix-earnings-call/5/#1703427
 Phoenix.Oumura
Server: Phoenix
user: Oumura
By Phoenix.Oumura 2012-01-10 14:43:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The game has come a long way since "beta." While arguably I'm not too thrilled about paying for it at this point, its still enjoyable enough for me to warrant doing so. As with any other game, people will try it and form their own opinions over time, if not now, then again after 2.0 drops. Until then I'll still be playing simply because I enjoy the people I play with. It makes the minor annoyances tolerable.

This whole, "I quit long ago and the game still sucks." is an argument that has gotten very stale within this past year. If you don't like it, just wait for 2.0 to drop if you're even curious and form (hopefully) a different opinion then.

As I said before, people are perfectly capable of forming their own opinions without the "help" of both those who hate it, or those who white-knight it.
[+]
By Jadi 2012-01-10 15:59:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Rihoko said: »
I still enjoy FFXI very much and still have tons to do in game. I feel no need to start FFXIV esp with its current state. Visual and interface upgrade for FFXI was what SE had to do instead of producing FFXIV.

Are you paying attention? SE has said time and time again that they can't implement certain features that the community has requested due to the limitations of the Playstation 2.

FFXI will never be "updated" if they ever make it unplayable on the PS2 they will be sued by everyone who has ever owned a PS2 copy of the game. It's happened to other companies. It doesn't matter how bad you want it, it doesn't matter how bad SE want's it, the lawyers won't allow it. If they make it unplayable to their customers they will be sued. Sony will also sue SE. End of story.. It is now what it will always be. FFXI already pushes the PS2 to it's limits on memory all the tricks they could do have been done. They can change minor things but you'll probably never see a new zone or a new job, let alone a graphics update. It's fate is sealed, The PS2 is a dead system and FFXI is forever tied to it. The hope for a graphics update is a fallacy.. but there will always be a few hold outs in XI. MMO's don't die.

..But regardless the good news is this has already happened. The upgrade of FFXI is called FFXIV, enjoy it. This is your wish. It didn't start out this way but since FFXIV's release it's been remade to follow FFXI as closely as possible with the XIV engine that exists.. Yoshi is moving it more in FFXI's direction every release. You wanted classic jobs, FFXIV's got classic jobs pld, war, mnk, whm, blm, brd, and drg are comming in 1.21. You wanted an AH, FFXIV's got an AH now. You wanted to scrap the skill system and use exp and chains, FFXIV did that. You wanted auto attack, FFXIV's got autoattack. You wanted Airships, Chocobos, Avatar fights, custom gear, and Beastmen, FFXIV added all of that... and so you see as far as SE is concerned FFXIV is the future for FFXI.. and the future is awesome, so rejoice.. you got your FFXI remake on the way.

You now have FFXI an unchanging game, and FFXIV a radically changing game. Pick your flavor, are you the person who wants nostalgia or do you want new adventures and content?

There is no wrong answer to this question, we can have both. There is no need for the XI'ers to fear XIV so much because it's not killing XI.. XI's fate was long since sealed and it's only a matter of time now.
[+]
By Nayito 2012-01-11 02:07:52
Link | Quote | Reply

have you noticed that most ppl that troll about FFXIV sucking is ppl that only played on beta or when it just releaced?
I mean the game has changed SOOO much since then. I started playing at patch 1.18 and even now for me it feal like a totaly new game. So why don't you give it a try? you'll even noticed that the game resambles XI a bit.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2012-01-11 02:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Tried it 2weeks ago.
Still sucks.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Anookulchandra
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Anookulchandra 2012-01-11 03:09:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Nayito said: »
have you noticed that most ppl that troll about FFXIV sucking is ppl that only played on beta or when it just releaced?
I mean the game has changed SOOO much since then. I started playing at patch 1.18 and even now for me it feal like a totaly new game. So why don't you give it a try? you'll even noticed that the game resambles XI a bit.

Lol... in what way does it resemble 11? The fact they both are titles from SE, both have Final Fantasy in the name, both have a roman numeral X? OOOOOH it must be about having tarus, galkas, elvaans, humes, and mithras... but they even have different names for those races... Galkas don't even have tails right? Oh there's crafting in that game! RIGHT!!! Ooooh wait... so does skyrim... they resemble each other too right? >.> The game sucks...
[+]
By Jadi 2012-01-11 04:39:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Anookulchandra said: »
Nayito said: »

Lol... in what way does it resemble 11? The fact they both are titles from SE, both have Final Fantasy in the name, both have a roman numeral X? OOOOOH it must be about having tarus, galkas, elvaans, humes, and mithras... but they even have different names for those races... Galkas don't even have tails right? Oh there's crafting in that game! RIGHT!!! Ooooh wait... so does skyrim... they resemble each other too right? >.> The game sucks...

Lol Really..? There are some differences sure but in a lot of cases where FFXIV is different, it's actually better.. such as the ability to search for a party on a different job than you are currently on.

So.. to help you understand let me walk you through playing the role of a healer in (FFXI/FFXIV) as (whm/cnj).

* You'll join a party via a shout in (Jeuno/Ul'dah) or via a /tell from your search status if you are seeking a party.

* When your party is at (6/8) members you'll teleport and choco out to your camp.

* Your party list will be in the lower right hand corner of your screen listing their HP.

* Preform your buffs, it's good to say (Gather Together) in the translator before you do this because you may have JP members.

* Usually your tank is (pld/gld) but occasionally it's another job.

* Keep a careful eye on your (pld/gld)'s HP and the party as a whole.

* Watch out for (blm/tha) and DD jobs as they may pull hate with their nukes and weapon skills.

* You can use different methods to target your members such as with macors using the targets (p0-p6/p0-p8).

* Another way is to target party members by pressing up and down on the keyboard or controller, or use your subtarget after you select the spell.

* Keep a careful eye on your mp, if you get too low you may rest your mp by (kneeling/standing motionless).

no.. FFXIV is nothing at all like FFXI. :: roll eyes :: It's only practically identical in this case.. Should I do DD's next? These haters don't know what they are talking about or haven't played it enough to find out how similar they are.. and yes people even still call them Galka.
By Nayito 2012-01-11 11:35:05
Link | Quote | Reply

* To recover MP you can also use (Sublimation/Blissful Mind)
[+]
By Oumura 2012-01-11 14:16:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said: »
Tried it 2weeks ago.
Still sucks.
Lol...oh well. Back to XI.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2012-01-11 15:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Exekutor said: »
Now the thought-terminating cliché:

Starcraft was just horrible when it was released 1998. The balance was crap as ***and it wasnt a game u really wanted to use for e-sports. No one can ignore that Starcraft has become one of the best and most successful games of all time. But not before the expansion and several patches arrived.

StarCraft was most certainly not a horrible game when it was released in 1998. But yes, the balance needed some tweaking still. It started off very strong. One, for its engrossing storyline and campaign. Two, for its great multiplayer aspects which was one of the first games to incorporate an interactive(and FREE) meet-up and chat place for fellow StarCraft gamers.

Calling it "horrible when it was released" is grossly distorting reality.
[+]
 Caitsith.Jadi
Server: Caitsith
user: Jadi
By Caitsith.Jadi 2012-01-11 15:55:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The problems are legion..

• The UI is clunky it's hard to control, the cursor jumps around all over the screen.

• Mouse control is absolutely impossible I don't know why it even exists.

• There is nothing to do when you start the game. You just have to plod through till you get high enough level to party totally clueless.

• Item management takes a long time. Your inventory is hard to use, everything is just in a big list. You can sort the list but then you need to remember where things are in the list and with hundreds of items you have to scroll a lot through items.

• It takes forever to find a party.

• Same thing with quests it takes forever to group to do something.

• The drop rate sucks.

• The content is repetitive.

• The game pace overall is very slow.

• It punishes you for dying and is unforgiving on mistakes.

• The camera control is very limited. It shakes and whips around.

• It's not a friendly game to new players. If they don't find someone soon who can show them the game they will hate it.

• Worse yet the game has an elitist mentality.

• The chat log drops messages when players zone.

• There is too much spam in the chat log.

• Everything has to be macro'ed

• Quests are almost impossible to do without 3rd party information.

• The animations do not keep up with the player actions.

• There is no mini map.

Wait..? FFXIV's got a mini map!

.. That's right, this whole post is about FFXI not FFXIV, so don't think FFXI doesn't have problems either in fact it's got some of the same problems FFXIV has.

Just like we would tell Wow players who played FFXI and were like WTF?! FFXI sucks.. We would respond "It's different.. it takes a while to get use to." .. FFXIV is the same way. However in a lot of ways FFXIV is superior to FFXI. (Someone should do a post comparing how FFXIV solves a ton of problems that exist in FFXI.)

(and no FFXIV does not have all the problems above such as the chat zone problem thats only in FFXI. I'm strictly complaining about FFXI here and using it to illustrate the inconsistency of peoples arguments against FFXIV in this thread. What they advocate for is just as bad if not worse from an outside perspective.)
[+]
By Buddhsie 2012-01-12 04:34:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Every time I look through the dev tracker on the forums and see "we will be looking into implementing this for 2.0" I get a little more excited. It's all the little quirks that players think of that are going to make the game amazing.

Pee pants excitement level right now, can't imagine what it will be like just before October :O
[+]
 Alexander.Lovebox
Server: Alexander
user: Lovebox
By Alexander.Lovebox 2012-01-15 20:36:33
Link | Quote | Reply

i read somewhere that the team for ffxiv will be re-distributing game Cd's when the time comes.... so does this mean that everyone would have to start over?
By Oumura 2012-01-15 21:57:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Lovebox said: »
i read somewhere that the team for ffxiv will be re-distributing game Cd's when the time comes.... so does this mean that everyone would have to start over?
No. Those with active XIV accounts will simply have their data transferred over to the new servers/game upon release.

All achievement/character data prior to 2.0 will remain intact. Only difference will be that new players starting after 2.0 will not be able to partake in content prior.
By Xeonerable 2012-01-15 23:16:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Redistributing the game disc would cost them too much... they most likely make it available for download lol...... which sucks for people like me that have slow internet @_@

edit: i'm tired i hope "cd's" means what i think it means.. if not then oh well.. lol
By Jadi 2012-01-16 05:18:28
Link | Quote | Reply

They said current players would get the ability to test drive the new client too. So they are going to have both available it seems.
By DJDL 2012-01-16 13:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It's really moot to complain about FFXIV at this point, especially if you are coming from a FFXI mentality... FFXI'ers can't even make up their own minds about what they want in FFXI let alone complain about a game they barely gave a fair shake (besides the fist they shook when they had to work for something).

SE knows that the initial direction of XIV was a poor judgement call and have fairly quickly responded to the dismay of fans with leaps and bounds of improvements, more improvements to come, and literally no charge for a year. (jobs are coming, zones are returning, new races and the ability for re-rolling for a new race when released is coming, more dungeons and events, and the revamp of the UI just for starters). Not to mention the looks and feel of the characters/NPCs, quests, and story as a whole makes downtime much more engrossing, rewarding, and enjoyable. (the quests and leves literally throw gear at you for doing anything, short of standing in still, that you can equip, sell, or convert into materia to eqiup or sell) There is a good bit still wrong with the game, but the is also a great deal that is right.

There are volumes of problems and flaws with XI that stem from its age, the indecisive player-base, and changes in the staff, and a pretty severe lack of communication and understanding between the end-user and devs. (unbalanced jobs and delusions of grandeur about player ability because of shortcut leveling techniques, level-sync's ruining the need for lowbie gear destroying the market along with the terribly abused lack of availability of ammos and foods from NPCs, etc)

I personally prefer XIV being it's own entity and not having to ride the on the laurels of it's predecessor, which is steadily strangling itself with sub-par content releases and a terrible lack of player skill due to the rampant job bias and apathy towards the idea of working for anything. (*cough* Abyssea *cough*)

XIV is a work in progress... Much like XI was in the beginning. I love the game and each addition or improvement just adds to it. I love XI as well, but seriously, XIV has way more potential and once you get used to it cuts a lot of unneeded BS out when it comes to doing basically anything. (airships accessible without a quest or 500k/rank5, personal chocobos are free and can be called almost anywhere with no cool-down, the search system is easier to use and will be far superior when finished, you can get tele'd to basically anywhere without having to personally walked there previously, you can invite people from almost anywhere and specify jobs you want to level while doing whatever else, nearly all quests can be done solo in your downtime and the quests literally lay out what to do for you, crafting/synthing is WAAAAAAAY more accessibly to everyone, has tons more usage, and is a lot more enjoyable, etc)

It will, with coming updates, get more and more similar to XI in some aspects, which is not a bad thing... But, it will never be XI. So sure, you're entitled to piss and moan about it, but it won't change that one undeniable fact. If you want another XI, don't play XIV. It's really that simple.

/rant
[+]
By ahgusta 2012-01-16 13:41:29
Link | Quote | Reply

People can say the game sucks and not play. Doesn't bother me because half the people that complain will be *** in the game anyway. Less jerks=better play. Yay so stick with your XI =P
[+]
By Jadi 2012-01-17 03:04:26
Link | Quote | Reply

DJDL said: »
It's really moot to complain about FFXIV at this point, especially if you are coming from a FFXI mentality... FFXI'ers can't even make up their own minds about what they want in FFXI let alone complain about a game they barely gave a fair shake (besides the fist they shook when they had to work for something).

It will, with coming updates, get more and more similar to XI in some aspects, which is not a bad thing... But, it will never be XI. So sure, you're entitled to piss and moan about it, but it won't change that one undeniable fact. If you want another XI, don't play XIV. It's really that simple.

/rant

This is a great post DJDL.