First Page 2
 Hades.Eliane
Server: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Eliane
By Hades.Eliane 2010-10-25 09:27:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
In Part IV of their Premier Site Q&A sessions, the Final Fantasy XI Development Team tackled questions from the ZAM team regarding the new Scars of Abyssea add-on scenario. Japanese translations of all questions and answers are available below the cut.

1) Bastion is a new battle system that allows for players to gain large amounts of experience points, cruor, and resistance credits, used to purchase the normal quality Empyrean leg armor, in relatively short periods of time. Currently, it is very difficult to make any progress in Bastion if there are very few other players there, as the resistance fighter npcs offer very little support. This leads to battles lasting only a few seconds after they start and very little experience gained. What plans are there, if any, to adjust Bastion to allow for it to be more low-man friendly?

We are aware that at certain times of day players may find themselves severely outnumbered in Bastion battles. To give small groups a fighting chance, we intend to give NPC Resistance fighters a boost in power, as well as to make clone wards more resistant to damage.

That said, the Abyssean hordes will not be routed so easily. Especially in the event that martello cores have attracted the attention of scores of foes, we urge that players expend all effort to perform resistance operations in advance to gain every possible advantage in the forthcoming battle!

2) Currently, the normal quality Empyrean feet armor pieces can only be obtained through golden chests in the new Abyssea areas. This unfortunately has caused some issues since their inception, ranging from players in alliances lotting on them despite not having the jobs for them leveled to not seeing a single piece drop in a several hour farming session. What plans are there, if any, to allow for players to obtain these particular pieces more readily and will these changes also allow for more control over what players get what pieces?

With the next version update, we intend to make Empyrean Armor pieces more readily available from small golden pyxides. This should solve the problem of players obtaining nothing for several hours.

This will also make it feasible for players to focus their efforts on obtaining these armor pieces by increasing the drop rate of small chests, rather than having to settle for experience and cruor gains while hoping for the fortuitous appearance of a large chest, as is often the case now.

3) As with the previous add-on, the tier II and tier III Voidwalker Notorious Monsters in the new Abyssea areas only have a single spawn in the their respective zones with an hour long respawn after they are killed. While this was a minor nuisance in the Vision areas, it's become a far bigger hassle in the Scars areas due to the tier III Voidwalker NMs being one of the few sources for the items used in the HQ2 Empyrean Armor pieces. Was this intended as a means of keeping players from obtaining the HQ2 Empyrean pieces, and if not, what plans are there to potentially adjust these NMs?

The placement and spawn rate of Scars of Abyssea NMs were set as they are to preserve balance and control the acquisition rate of upgraded Empyrean Armor. We realize, however, that due to the sheer number of players competing for the upgrade items, they are currently more difficult to obtain than we anticipated.

We intend to address this in the next version update by reducing the respawn time for certain NMs. While the specifics are still under discussion, we anticipate that the delay will be reduced by about half. This should provide many players with a long-awaited opportunity to upgrade.

Hmm, easier AF2 :O I like
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-25 09:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Who the *** wasted 3 good questions on this ***, lol
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-10-25 09:33:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah no ***. That second question is a *** joke. I have 18/20 af3 feet. You know how you get AF3 feet? You build up 300 minutes and amber light, you drop the god damn alliance, and you go solo ***. I got 4 pair the other night in about 3 hours of soloing while still getting time extensions.

It's not rocket science.
[+]
By Unmei 2010-10-25 09:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Who cares about lolAbyssea This a FF14 Forum GTFO...learn to read where your posting 8)
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-25 09:35:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Unmei said:
Who cares about lolAbyssea This a FF14 Forum GTFO...learn to read where your posting 8)
ffxi > ff14, so your post is irrelevant.

Play a game that doesn't suck.
[+]
 Hades.Eliane
By Hades.Eliane 2010-10-25 09:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Oops i put this in the wrong general >_>
By Unmei 2010-10-25 09:50:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Unmei said:
ffxi > ff14, so your post is irrelevant.

Play a game that doesn't suck.

loltroll @ the troll I wouldn't play 11 again after playing 14 if you paid me ^^
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-25 10:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, 14 is geared towards more casual gamers. I'm sure you just sucked at XI. That being said, you're right. 14 is probably the perfect game for you.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-25 10:28:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Both XI and XIV are good, STFU.

*** fanboys.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-25 10:30:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Has 0 to do with being a fanboy. I just think catering to casual gamers defeats the purpose of timesink games, such as an MMO
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-25 10:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't really cater to casual players at all. Things are low-mannable, but so are things in XI.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-25 10:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh hey, let's limit how much long you can gain experience, so people who can't play as many hours don't feel left behind!
[+]
By Saggitarius 2010-10-25 10:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Has 0 to do with being a fanboy. I just think catering to casual gamers defeats the purpose of timesink games, such as an MMO

I have to disagree on this >_>. I wish I had all the time in the world to enjoy MMOs, so finally there's one that can be enjoyed by casuals and it's really refreshing for me. It took me a while to be able to do anything in FFXI, even trying to keep nights for dyna and limbus free was a serious pain in the butt D:

Yeah I could go and play offline games, 1 player stuffs... but I enjoy the semi-social aspect of MMO, and being able to play with my friends back in England is a really really big plus for me.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-25 10:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Casual gaming for free
http://www.runescape.com/

If you're paying to play though, there's no reason they should limit you in such a fashion. I have no problems with keeping things low mannable, but to tell people oh hey you can't level so this person doesn't get but hurt = fail
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-25 10:38:01
Link | Quote | Reply

The only way you'll hit surplus exp is by levelling one job for asinine hours a week, which would make you a gimp for not levelling up the relevant subjobs.

It's the exact same as making exp go in steeper increments in XI, the increments in XIV are less severe but you're still limited so it's not possible to reach the highest level in a week or whatever.

Seeing as it's on a weekly timer with ways to slowly reset it there's no issue. You might have noticed no-one is complaining about the fatigue system in any negative review for XIV.
[+]
By Unmei 2010-10-25 10:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Both XI and XIV are good, STFU.

*** fanboys.

I'm not saying they both aren't good but I personally don't have time for both so out of the 2 I choose 14.

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Its actually for both which is what works for me.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-25 10:41:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't really play either at the moment. XI got boring with Abyssea onry and XIV needs to improve in nearly every aspect before I'll knuckle down and play it.

It's more likely I'll play XIV however seeing as I'm way too behind in XI now and just don't have the drive to play it, where as XIV has some really interesting patches coming out in the near future.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-25 10:46:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
The only way you'll hit surplus exp is by levelling one job for asinine hours a week, which would make you a gimp for not levelling up the relevant subjobs.

It's the exact same as making exp go in steeper increments in XI, the increments in XIV are less severe but you're still limited so it's not possible to reach the highest level in a week or whatever.

Seeing as it's on a weekly timer with ways to slowly reset it there's no issue. You might have noticed no-one is complaining about the fatigue system in any negative review for XIV.
Well, the way I did it in XI was to lv my subs first to max, then go straight to max lv.

So w/e the level cap is, I'd assume subjob is only half the level as main job? Get it that high, then go main job all the way. People have other things to do sure, but let's say I'm on Christmas break. 3 weeks of no school, I may want to grind the ***out of something and get it done/out of the way. You'd see these caps in these situations, where you'd generally get a lot of your play time.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-25 10:50:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Well, the way I did it in XI was to lv my subs first to max, then go straight to max lv.

So w/e the level cap is, I'd assume subjob is only half the level as main job? Get it that high, then go main job all the way. People have other things to do sure, but let's say I'm on Christmas break. 3 weeks of no school, I may want to grind the ***out of something and get it done/out of the way. You'd see these caps in these situations, where you'd generally get a lot of your play time.

Well You'd want to get every job to the max seeing as you can pull abilities from any job (or weapon would be more correct) to use in battle.

To be a tank you'd want to level Pugilist and Marauder for relevant abilities and by the time you'd levelled Gladiator to level 10 or 20 you'd be really hurting without certain abilities from both (Second wind from Pug and Defender from Mrd) That way it wouldn't really work to level up subs all the way first seeing as subs in this game are something you'd work on every now and then or work on them to get a certain ability.

I can see the fatigue system becoming an issue if or when they release a high exp party area (birds or something) that would make it easy to max jobs.

Other than that I don't think the fatigue system will ever be noticeable. I prefer the XI system all in all, but the XIV system is pretty good too.
 Phoenix.Katori
Server: Phoenix
user: agroyboy
By Phoenix.Katori 2010-10-25 11:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

once you get melee/mage job to 20 isnt so casual so go ahead tell yourself that. surplus doesnt keep you from gaining SP sometimes it helps.and the SP they take gets put into a pot for something later.

Server: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-10-25 11:37:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Any chance we can stay on topic?

I feel that it is nice that af3 drop rates will be increased and that vnm repop times will be shortened but to be honest... Like someone said above I would have liked different questions to have been answered.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-10-25 12:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, this thread got derailed right from the start.
Awesome job.

Back on topic: "thumbs up" to the answer to question #3. Decreasing the respawn timer on Abyssea VNMs is a good move.
[+]
 Hades.Eliane
By Hades.Eliane 2010-10-25 12:17:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for moving topic whoever did. Sorry about the wrong placing :/

Fail Eli is fail
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-10-25 12:22:46
Link | Quote | Reply

While I feel like the later two could have been summed up in one question, I do find all of that to be very good news. Maybe I will in fact get my Mavi Feet one day!
 Lakshmi.Vlorsutes
user: Vlorsutes
By Lakshmi.Vlorsutes 2010-10-25 12:40:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
Yeah no ***. That second question is a *** joke. I have 18/20 af3 feet. You know how you get AF3 feet? You build up 300 minutes and amber light, you drop the god damn alliance, and you go solo ***. I got 4 pair the other night in about 3 hours of soloing while still getting time extensions.

It's not rocket science.

I'll just say that's just good luck on your part. I've done the same thing as you before, just boosting your time and amber light in an exp party and then go solo stuff, and I've never had a gold pyxis drop that had Empyrean feet in it. Tons of Lore, Gules, and Versa armor augments, synth materials, scrolls, etc, but no base form Empyrean feet.

I'm probably being generous in saying that I've seen maybe 10 pieces of Empyrean feet total since Scars of Abyssea came out, and that's using methods like yours (sometimes I'll do it with a small group after we've built time and capped amber, rather than just on my own after an exp run).

We knew that no matter what, there'd be no way to ask questions that everyone would be happy with, but they were questions pertaining to the topic we were given that we kept seeing pop up here and there.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-10-25 12:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I get you. I mean there's no way you could ask questions that everyone would be happy with. I like the first question and the last question, so 2 out of 3 aint bad.

It's quite funny though because most of the AF3 feet I have seen have come from the smaller boxes already.

It's amazing that your luck is that bad though. I'm usually killing murex solo at a fairly decent rate (Savage > Goblin rush kills them in a single skillchain) and I've been able to find a lot of feet. I've actually had 6 pairs of boots go to waste because I already had them and no one responded to my shout.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-10-25 12:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

This isn't exactly true. I am only leveling GLA. When I first started playing I leveled THM and CON to have some healing abilities, also PUG for Second Wind. Now since my subs are leveled I only play GLA. I have no reason to change to other jobs because I don't want to play anything else.

Anyway, I only play a couple hours a night; casually if you will. A little longer on the weekends. I've hit surplus without even really trying to get the max. I haven't gotten to the point where I can obtain no exp/sp, but I have hit the surplus area. It really sucks knowing that I'm not getting full credit for my kills.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-10-25 13:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Im hoping they up the seal chance from quests, or make it like 25% chance to get one, but when you do you get to pick which. Doing my rng head, i used at least 15 stones and had enough RDM seals to make 4 rdm hats.
 Ragnarok.Corres
Server: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2010-10-25 13:56:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Well, 14 is geared towards more casual gamers. I'm sure you just sucked at XI. That being said, you're right. 14 is probably the perfect game for you.
oh man i like you..... :)

and topic:

SE:"the FFXI players are gonna *** and moan that they can't get their AF3's fast enough"

Tanaka:"give'em what they want"

Sundi:"dunno"
 Lakshmi.Vlorsutes
user: Vlorsutes
By Lakshmi.Vlorsutes 2010-10-25 13:59:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aurilius said:

It's amazing that your luck is that bad though. I'm usually killing murex solo at a fairly decent rate (Savage > Goblin rush kills them in a single skillchain) and I've been able to find a lot of feet. I've actually had 6 pairs of boots go to waste because I already had them and no one responded to my shout.

I wish I had that kind of luck, since I'm still needing several Vunkerl pieces and a few pieces from other zones.
First Page 2