My FFXI Dilemma, What Would You Guys Do?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » My FFXI Dilemma, What would you guys do?
My FFXI Dilemma, What would you guys do?
 Lakshmi.Jaguarx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Jaguarx
By Lakshmi.Jaguarx 2010-10-18 19:25:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys, sorry it took so long for me to reply I was driving home from school.

Bahamut.Aeronis said:

If you think you can go beyond MMOs for something like a sense of self-accomplishment, I would recommend setting goals for yourself. Any goal that makes you feel more accomplished with yourself works. Reward yourself for doing something good. Draw Backs will be much less frequent as you start to integrate yourself with your real life more, and your addiction less.

This has got to be one of the greatest recommendations I've ever heard, Aeronis. I'm definitely going to try this! Thanks!
:D

Sylph.Kaiye said:
Finish school. Giving in to an an addiction is never good :| and if you still feel the need to play afterwards then go ahead. A career will get you somewhere, virtual reality can only do so much x;
Fairy.Spence said:
"BUT, this year is my final year in college, I know if I activate my alternate account again I risk the chance of becoming addicted and ultimately affecting my career."

Don't play!

Caitsith.Zefiris said:
Delete everything. Give possessions to nobody. Be a free man. :}

Seriously, being addicted to a MMO is incredibly unhealthy for mind, body, and spirit.

All of these, ultimately reinforce my conscious and point me toward the proper direction, thanks guys.

Like many others who have said this before me, I don't regret the time I've wasted playing FFXI. I had a great deal of fun and met some amazing people.

I guess it's just so hard to let go BECAUSE of those memories. It's too bad we can't turn back time to those good old days. Young, in high school, no worries, and FFXI ALL DAY!
(^_^)

[+]
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Server: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-18 19:35:00
Link | Quote | Reply

No problem, have a nice life :D
[+]
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
Server: Sylph
user: Katniss
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-10-21 07:39:54
Link | Quote | Reply

What everyone said: dont reactivate your account, focus on your RL and especially school.

I recently reactivated my account just to find out the game bored / annoyed me to death. I know there are ppl who actually enjoy all the abyssea exp & NM spam, but i honestly didnt. It's not the old FFXI anymore i used to enjoy. I loved FFXI and was quite addicted to it before the abyssea addons were released.

As many ppl here suggested, I added all my FFXI friends to FB and we still talk or play silly browser games together, I would recommend that for you, too.

Anyway - it's still your choice, good luck with it =)
 Bahamut.Serj
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-10-21 08:14:39
Link | Quote | Reply

If it is causing issues irl then don't play. I *** up in highschool with focusing too much on MMOs, but now that I'm in college I've learned how to balance everything. It all comes down to your self.
By ararita 2010-10-21 09:28:06
Link | Quote | Reply

With anything we enjoy in life we have to use moderation and prioritize..I know as I have been ing off and on for 4 years or close. 2 years prior family crisis intervened and once I thought I could return and "dedicate" myself to lvling etc I developed a chronic medical condition. FFxi is therapy for me mentally as well as physically as well but I "treat" myself to gameplay after accomplishing an objective each day..small or large. Honestly, we could have greater and more detrimental addictions than ffxi or any mmo but each person should place a value on their time and what we choose to do with it..good luck on what and how u decide. As far as gear etc..take it at ur own pace..when I returned in february I noticed a players bazaar comment "Play ur Game ur Way"..for me it has been words to live by (and I have a gr8 ls and leaders ..members as well).
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-10-21 09:31:15
Link | Quote | Reply

@OP

Stay away if you can. Your studies and your social life will thank you for it. Maybe get contact information from your friends in game to help lesson the feeling of separation. Only problem is if your friends constantly ask you "When are you coming back?", "You should come back because [insert some very important reason here]", etc.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-10-21 09:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

If you'r worried about your studies etc I think it's a good idea to stay away for now.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-10-21 10:20:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't come back.
It will suck you in and not let go.
Graduate. Get a job. Meet people and enjoy your youth.
 Bahamut.Serj
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-10-21 10:22:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Or learn how to balance and manage yourself. Ya know, something that always applies to your life.
By ranma6899 2010-10-31 05:17:57
Link | Quote | Reply

i been playing sims 3 latenight pass the time but i do miss my friends my account was hacked for three months i tryed to get back se dont care ,i given up on se i will not buy final fantasy 14 after this incendent. how i know someone wont get final fantasy 14 account to so no thanks it hard though i watch auctions everytday as this guy who ever got sale my 7 years work down the drain but he buying this to . i was searching my chacters askars on gilmesh but jacensolo on slyph thats weried and i cant find no traces of karatekid alderino,jainasolo,anakinskywalker he was 59 pld at the time i had bought 75 gear for him. i got this game box from pc release but lol not gonna do me anygood that was the account i lost. i got another but when i tryed to freeze that pc version they frroze my ps2 version so i gave up. ya guy farming with my 75 thf with full relic gear he also was at the time 75 blm
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Server: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2010-10-31 05:54:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaguarx said:
inb4: oh god another 'comeback or not' thread It sure is lol So my account got hacked (this one - Jaguarx), and as expected POL Customer Service told me to "F*CK OFF" when I asked for a roll back. This pissed me off enough to cancel my secondary account and stop playing FFXI in general. Well here's my dilemma, I'm going through draw backs and feel like coming back to FFXI to see all my friends. I was essentially addicted to FFXI. BUT, this year is my final year in college, I know if I activate my alternate account again I risk the chance of becoming addicted and ultimately affecting my career. What would you guys do in my position? My conscious tells me to delete my alternate character and focus primarily on school. But my addiction tells me to reactivate my alternate account and play again.............. I was never one to play for "leisure." I, like most of the ffxi community, want to have the 'best' gear. With my current schedule, I know it wouldn't be enough to obtain any 'good' gear. This is what ultimately effects me, my addiction wont let comeback as a "leisure" player but one who wants to play to be 'the best.' IDK what to do (>_<) *Head Explodes* TL;DR version: To comeback to FFXI? Or not?

If you risk missing out on FFXI will it affect your future? NO

If you risk missing out on your finals at college will it affect your future? YES

Black and white in my eyes.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Mattyc
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Mattyc 2010-10-31 07:31:33
Link | Quote | Reply

only people who really play this game anymore are in home working people, high school kids, 30-40 year olds who live in there parents basement, and single parents like myself, addiction is bad, your school comes before play, but i will admit this game has subliminal messaging that hooks people.

i suggest focusing on your school and making something of yourself, this game isn't worth fouling up career potential.

good luck with w/e you decide to do.