My FFXI Dilemma, What Would You Guys Do?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » My FFXI Dilemma, What would you guys do?
My FFXI Dilemma, What would you guys do?
First Page 2
 Lakshmi.Jaguarx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Jaguarx
By Lakshmi.Jaguarx 2010-10-18 17:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

inb4: oh god another 'comeback or not' thread
It sure is lol

So my account got hacked (this one - Jaguarx), and as expected POL Customer Service told me to "F*CK OFF" when I asked for a roll back. This pissed me off enough to cancel my secondary account and stop playing FFXI in general.

Well here's my dilemma, I'm going through draw backs and feel like coming back to FFXI to see all my friends. I was essentially addicted to FFXI.
BUT, this year is my final year in college, I know if I activate my alternate account again I risk the chance of becoming addicted and ultimately affecting my career.

What would you guys do in my position?
My conscious tells me to delete my alternate character and focus primarily on school.
But my addiction tells me to reactivate my alternate account and play again..............

I was never one to play for "leisure." I, like most of the ffxi community, want to have the 'best' gear. With my current schedule, I know it wouldn't be enough to obtain any 'good' gear. This is what ultimately effects me, my addiction wont let comeback as a "leisure" player but one who wants to play to be 'the best.'

IDK what to do
(>_<)
*Head Explodes*

TL;DR version: To comeback to FFXI? Or not?
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Server: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-18 17:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaguarx said:
inb4: oh god another 'comeback or not' thread It sure is lol So my account got hacked (this one - Jaguarx), and as expected POL Customer Service told me to "F*CK OFF" when I asked for a roll back. This pissed me off enough to cancel my secondary account and stop playing FFXI in general. Well here's my dilemma, I'm going through draw backs and feel like coming back to FFXI to see all my friends. I was essentially addicted to FFXI. BUT, this year is my final year in college, I know if I activate my alternate account again I risk the chance of becoming addicted and ultimately affecting my career. What would you guys do in my position? My conscious tells me to delete my alternate character and focus primarily on school. But my addiction tells me to reactivate my alternate account and play again.............. I was never one to play for "leisure." I, like most of the ffxi community, want to have the 'best' gear. With my current schedule, I know it wouldn't be enough to obtain any 'good' gear. This is what ultimately effects me, my addiction wont let comeback as a "leisure" player but one who wants to play to be 'the best.' IDK what to do (>_<) *Head Explodes* TL;DR version: To comeback to FFXI? Or not?
If you like to play for the gear aspect.. I don't know what to tell you, but one solution I use to prevent draw backs with FFXI is just adding your friends on facebook so you can chat with them there instead of feeling the need to log on every day to talk with them.
[+]
 Fenrir.Horsebreath
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Horsebreath 2010-10-18 17:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Just my opinion, Don't delete your account. Finish school play after you get done. FFXI isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaguarx
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaguarx
By Lakshmi.Jaguarx 2010-10-18 17:57:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I see, the thing is I miss both my friends and the game. (>_<)
I can keep my alt char but I've been itching to reactivate it these past few days.
But you guys do prove completely valid points!
Stupid FFXI, why must you be soo addicting!!!!
 Leviathan.Zephriel
Server: Leviathan
user: Zephriel
By Leviathan.Zephriel 2010-10-18 18:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aeronis said:

If you like to play for the gear aspect.. I don't know what to tell you, but one solution I use to prevent draw backs with FFXI is just adding your friends on facebook so you can chat with them there instead of feeling the need to log on every day to talk with them.

^This. I ragequit during the first level cap update so it's easy for me to say "just quit and focus on school" but I know exactly how you feel about missing your ingame buddies. I suggest that you find an alternative way of communicating with your friends (Facebook, forums, etc) because you really don't want to screw your last year of college up.

SE's customer service is crap and even if you work your way up back to where you were, what's stopping them from screwing you over again?

I know it sucks now but it gets easier and one day you'll ask yourself "Man, why was I addicted to this again?"
 Cerberus.Nutt
Server: Cerberus
user: zuriel
By Cerberus.Nutt 2010-10-18 18:11:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I say graduate first. You can add your friends on FB. Once you graduate and get a job, then you can consider coming back. Your stability should come before this game. Someone already mentioned this, but it's not going ANYWHERE.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-18 18:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaguarx said:
I, like most of the ffxi community, want to have the 'best' gear. With my current schedule, I know it wouldn't be enough to obtain any 'good' gear.
I thought of a minor solution for you for gear wise. For most, when you get gear, it's a sense of accomplishment, so I would perhaps try something like a free MMO. In a sense it's like quiting crack and starting cigarettes; it's still bad for you, but it keeps you from freaking out about your crack issues.

If you think you can go beyond MMOs for something like a sense of self-accomplishment, I would recommend setting goals for yourself. Any goal that makes you feel more accomplished with yourself works. Reward yourself for doing something good. Draw Backs will be much less frequent as you start to integrate yourself with your real life more, and your addiction less.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-10-18 18:33:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I never understood the whole "addicted to ffxi" concept.
maybe I have too many actual addictions for me to get addicted to something like this.
 Caitsith.Zefiris
Server: Caitsith
user: Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2010-10-18 18:34:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Delete everything. Give possessions to nobody. Be a free man. :}

Seriously, being addicted to a MMO is incredibly unhealthy for mind, body, and spirit.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2010-10-18 18:36:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Lakshmi.Jaguarx said:
I, like most of the ffxi community, want to have the 'best' gear. With my current schedule, I know it wouldn't be enough to obtain any 'good' gear.
I thought of a minor solution for you for gear wise. For most, when you get gear, it's a sense of accomplishment, so I would perhaps try something like a free MMO. In a sense it's like quiting crack and starting cigarettes; it's still bad for you, but it keeps you from freaking out about your crack issues.

If you think you can go beyond MMOs for something like a sense of self-accomplishment, I would recommend setting goals for yourself. Any goal that makes you feel more accomplished with yourself works. Reward yourself for doing something good. Draw Backs will be much less frequent as you start to integrate yourself with your real life more, and your addiction less.
I was going to suggest enjoying a hobby like martial arts, playing an instrument, art, learning a language. It'll give you a greater sense of accomplishment than getting a pixelized pat on the back.
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-18 18:43:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but getting the motivation to do something like that and keep up with it... plus that means going out and talking to real people

/shudder
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-10-18 18:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I never really was able to get addicted to MMO's just due to the fact that my anime hobby takes precedence.
I do enjoy going out to the shooting range to pop one off though.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-18 18:46:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Yeah but getting the motivation to do something like that and keep up with it... plus that means going out and talking to real people /shudder
If you want to be a social recluse, be my guest. Social butterflies are more fun though :/
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-18 18:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
I never really was able to get addicted to MMO's just due to the fact that my anime hobby takes precedence. I do enjoy going out to the shooting range to pop one off though.
I sometimes play while I watch lol. Though I'd much rather just lay/sit down and watch them and relax
 Sylph.Kaiye
Server: Sylph
user: Kaiye
By Sylph.Kaiye 2010-10-18 18:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Finish school. Giving in to an an addiction is never good :| and if you still feel the need to play afterwards then go ahead. A career will get you somewhere, virtual reality can only do so much x;
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-10-18 18:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
I never really was able to get addicted to MMO's just due to the fact that my anime hobby takes precedence. I do enjoy going out to the shooting range to pop one off though.
I sometimes play while I watch lol. Though I'd much rather just lay/sit down and watch them and relax
yeah i've done both. but i can never really focus on the show when i'm playing anymore.
but that's because i don't really have a good spot to /fish anymore that i'd want to deal with.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-10-18 18:51:05
Link | Quote | Reply

maintain a high gpa while carrying out a full abyssea schedule

it'll be super easy

you can do it
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-18 18:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
yeah i've done both. but i can never really focus on the show when i'm playing anymore. but that's because i don't really have a good spot to /fish anymore that i'd want to deal with.
It's alot harder with subtitled stuff too
 Leviathan.Zephriel
Server: Leviathan
user: Zephriel
By Leviathan.Zephriel 2010-10-18 18:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
you can do it

Your avatar is perfect........
[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
Server: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-10-18 18:54:09
Link | Quote | Reply

It's seriously not that hard of a decision. If you feel that it has that much control over you that it might affect your real life, it's time to step away. MMOs are great and should be enjoyed as games but for some people, they're more like a career/life. Just drop it and find another game that won't eat at your life.
 Caitsith.Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2010-10-18 18:54:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
I never really was able to get addicted to MMO's just due to the fact that my anime hobby takes precedence.
I like shooting too. I wanna get a concealed carry permit someday soon.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-10-18 18:54:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
yeah i've done both. but i can never really focus on the show when i'm playing anymore. but that's because i don't really have a good spot to /fish anymore that i'd want to deal with.
that's why you learn japanese silly.
:P

Caitsith.Zefiris said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
that would be fun :P
your avatar issss from rosario+vampire correct?
 Fairy.Spence
Server: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-10-18 18:56:34
Link | Quote | Reply

"BUT, this year is my final year in college, I know if I activate my alternate account again I risk the chance of becoming addicted and ultimately affecting my career."

Don't play!

Bahamut.Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-18 18:57:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Zephriel said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
you can do it
lol'd.
 Caitsith.Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2010-10-18 18:58:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
that's why you learn japanese silly.
:P

Caitsith.Zefiris said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
that would be fun :P
your avatar issss from rosario+vampire correct?
I'd like to have one for safety since I'm so small. Guns are really heavy though. And yes it's from that anime, I thought he was the cutest thing in the show. :3
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-18 18:59:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zefiris said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
I is very scared now
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-18 19:00:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Most guns aren't that heavy lol
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-10-18 19:00:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zefiris said:
I'd like to have one for safety since I'm so small. Guns are really heavy though. And yes it's from that anime, I thought he was the cutest thing in the show. :3
like this:
 Caitsith.Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2010-10-18 19:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, that guy could just.... carry some ammo with him.

Or is that a girl? The legs look girly but the hair/face look boyish. XD
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-10-18 19:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Zephriel said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
you can do it

swiper, no swiping