Forum » FFXI » General » Valkurm Dead?
Valkurm Dead?
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-10-19 13:38:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Leveling gimped skills is a much, much quicker process than exp grinding the "proper way" though ;x much smarter to skip the exp grind and have to skill up than have to spend hundreds of hours exp grinding but not have to skill (as much - Level Sync is still the preferred method of levelling, and you're gonna be stuck around late50s/early60s for a long time).
Server: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2010-10-19 14:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Skilling up isn't that bad.. i just got maats cap after taking 15 jobs from 49~80ish in abyssea.

can take your combat / magic skills from 49cap to about 250ish in a couple hours.. eat sushi then go to abyssea with party and hit 300+ skill in a couple more hours.

/bst really helps when getting skill ups or doing trial weapons on jobs that dont solo all that well like rng.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-19 14:27:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
its not until you throw yourself into unique situations offen in low man situations where you are forced to step up your playing or die.
Very true. Part of why I still consider myself a very mediocre RDM, I almost always go BLU to anything where such a situation might occur so I haven't really had a chance to grow as a RDM. The other part is my gear :\

Titan.Darkestknight said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Exp grinding doesn't really teach you all that much past basic mechanics.

It does however; for the vast majority keep your skills capped.

Lets go for Red Mage, lets say you capped your skills to 30. They'd be:

Enfeebling (A+): 93
Enhancing (B+): 89
Dark (D): 79
Divine (D): 79
Healing (C-): 86
Elemental (C+): 86

then jumped to 85

You'd then need to get them all to the proper caps:
Enfeebling (A+): 331
Enhancing (B+): 311
Dark (D): 255
Divine (D): 255
Healing (C-): 275
Elemental (C+): 285

That's some serious skilling up to be doing.
Can cap pretty much all of those except Enhancing and Healing in short order if you know what you're doing. Of those two, only Enhancing is particularly significant.

inb4 my Cursnas suck

EDIT: Also /SCH is awesome.
Server: Titan
By Titan.Darkestknight 2010-10-19 14:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
its not until you throw yourself into unique situations offen in low man situations where you are forced to step up your playing or die.
Very true. Part of why I still consider myself a very mediocre RDM, I almost always go BLU to anything where such a situation might occur so I haven't really had a chance to grow as a RDM. The other part is my gear :\

Titan.Darkestknight said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Exp grinding doesn't really teach you all that much past basic mechanics.

It does however; for the vast majority keep your skills capped.

Lets go for Red Mage, lets say you capped your skills to 30. They'd be:

Enfeebling (A+): 93
Enhancing (B+): 89
Dark (D): 79
Divine (D): 79
Healing (C-): 86
Elemental (C+): 86

then jumped to 85

You'd then need to get them all to the proper caps:
Enfeebling (A+): 331
Enhancing (B+): 311
Dark (D): 255
Divine (D): 255
Healing (C-): 275
Elemental (C+): 285

That's some serious skilling up to be doing.
Can cap pretty much all of those except Enhancing and Healing in short order if you know what you're doing. Of those two, only Enhancing is particularly significant.

inb4 my Cursnas suck

EDIT: Also /SCH is awesome.

Lucky you, I had capped skills at 80, then Abyssea'd to 85, and it's a serious pain in the backside getting capped again.

Agreed on /SCH one of the best subs for any mage IMO.
Server: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2010-10-19 15:09:19
Link | Quote | Reply

healing magic isn't too bad to cap if you really want too.. cure undead in king ranperre's (sp) tomb.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-19 15:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm lazy and skill it in Undead Swarm Besieged. That's a good idea though, might start doing that.

Quote:
Lucky you, I had capped skills at 80, then Abyssea'd to 85, and it's a serious pain in the backside getting capped again.
I burned RDM from 48 to 85 as a Haste/Dia/Cure ***. The only skills that were remotely near cap at 85 were capped for BLM75. So no, not so lucky; I just didn't complain when it came time to cap skills.
 Bahamut.Zorander
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-10-19 15:23:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
It's rdm's like Raen that have really showed me the light on all that Rdm can do. Before Abyssea I never really Solo/Duo'd on rdm at all and now its all I do. And IMO I think I am a much better mage because of it, and really have Raen to thank on Strats/Gear and lots of other Advice. Hats off to you Raen!
Siren.Flunklesnarkin said:
healing magic isn't too bad to cap if you really want too.. cure undead in king ranperre's (sp) tomb.
I need to do this..lol I never tried to cap healing magic on whm before, but I do remember how long it took me to cap it. I might have to try this time or i'll never be blue again.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-10-19 15:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you give me too much credit ;o but am happy you have harnessed RDM's true potential!
 Bahamut.Aeronis
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-19 16:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Kyne said:
Ok, so I haven't leveled a job in Valkurm in a while...I'm a 13 scholar, and it doesn't seem like ANYONE is here...been LFP all day today.
If you parse your EXP rate with something like EXP watch, you'll see that you usually get more (5k/hr vs 3k/hr in pt) soloing.