Valkurm Dead?
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-10-18 19:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Ya the good ol days of all day leveling up and taking you if you're a hardcore 2-3 months for a 75, or better yet MNK lfp back in the days.............................. everyone has it easy nowadays lol.

Level 99 will pretty much be the cap, but SE might pull a fast one after 90 in December and say next year's updates will be only once per 6 months, lawl?

I need to level my subjobs too though or perfectionism will kill me in my sleep x_x

Nice call, Mab! I sometimes wonder the same!.. Damn Cheap SE, pull a fast one..
 Siren.Catabolic
Server: Siren
user: Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-10-18 20:30:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Winterlight said:
Any1 lvling from 37 to 50 for the pending level cap adjustment? (I've heard it was to 99 but that's pure speculation.)

Anyone going to 49-50 just in case? If you are where are you doing this? I just got to SCH45 last night and starting at 43-44 the xp is starting to get big between lvls for FoV...

It's not just pure speculation lol. So many people say this its crazy. It's fact, they posted that final cap will be lvl99 on the Pol website a while ago. They didn't say exactly when next year it will be 99 though.

On this server lately only ptys in dunes have been rmt ptys. It's still odd to do a /sea valkurm and the results show like 4 solo'ers in the mid 20's for level and then like 25 lvl 80's lol.
 Lakshmi.Kyne
Server: Lakshmi
user: Kyne
By Lakshmi.Kyne 2010-10-19 07:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Update:

So I've successfully solo'd my scholar up to 20 so far, just in tahronghi, then la theine. I moved to buburimu today.

I guess it just took some time for me to get used to the idea that one can solo easily nowadays. I'm all for it now. I got into one party in the dunes, and it was infinitely slower and more dangerous than if I was out soloing.
 Asura.Darkultima
Server: Asura
By Asura.Darkultima 2010-10-19 07:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Abyssea pretty much killed traditional parties.
Better off being a key *** for abyssea or find some LS buddies willing to duo/trio with you with FoV if you wanna go old school.
Can't enter before lv30, so not really in his case.
As lv13, could just LFP in koko tunnel and wait for some AF burn to take him, if the burn is good, will take him to 30 easily^^
EDIT: just saw you got to lv 20 :3 so AF burn isnt good to take anymore, grats n gl tho^^
 Alexander.Garlend
Server: Alexander
user: Garlend
By Alexander.Garlend 2010-10-19 07:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

They need to make Abyssea 75+ only zones. It would fix a huge chunk of xi's party problems.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-10-19 07:49:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really.
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
user: Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2010-10-19 08:00:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Solo isn't as harsh as we remember it, they raised the cap on how much exp you obtain from EP+DC mobs, and mixing that with FoV, you can earn about as much as you would have in a dunes party from back in the day, if not more.

Maybe just for precaution, find a person to duo with, and you might get lucky, and find someone at level 25 or so, thats willing to level sync down to you.

Good luck.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Jessie
Server: Caitsith
user: Jessie
By Caitsith.Jessie 2010-10-19 08:59:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, there's just not much point to Valkurm anymore.

Solo or get a couple friends to duo or trio all the way up from Lv.1 -> Lv.13. (Hour; two hours tops)

Make yourself the sync to a SMN-burn or MMM party from Lv.13 -> Lv.30. (10 hours give-or-take)

Keywhore in Abyssea from Lv.30 -> Lv.65. (about 2 parties)
(ALTERNATIVE: Party in Ronfaure (S) against Colibri)

Party in Abyssea from Lv.65 -> Lv.??
 Leviathan.Solanis
user: Solanis
By Leviathan.Solanis 2010-10-19 09:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Not hard too make 20-24k/hour parties in Valkurm/qufim...

why bother when abyssea gives so much more?
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2010-10-19 09:18:37
Link | Quote | Reply

it have been like this for a while i remember that valk dunes was empty before wing of the goddess expan, perhaps they should make another server merge asap
 Phoenix.Degs
Server: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-10-19 09:20:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont think valkrum or any other area is going to die.. there are alot of options that are going to come about once the cap its 90-99... i think at this point people are so infatuated with abyssea to get their jobs up to cap.. but there are still alot of people running around with gimped subs..

this is something that is going to change in the future, people are going to have to level up those subs as more endgame comes about in abyssea...

the infatuation has side tracked alot of lower level pt'ing but i gotta feeling its going to change here soon, as people are going to want to experiment with other subs 85-90 this year.. and then 90-99 next year
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2010-10-19 09:50:54
Link | Quote | Reply

i dont think abyssea ruined traditional level at all. sure, it didnt help, but what killed it ultimaitly was level sync. The idea becames twisted. What started as a way for groupps of friends to fight together, or help find members, became ppl staying at their favorite camp and never leaving, only reping the syncee when they were no longer usefull. With a set up like that, theirs no need to go anywhere else.
To the dunes specificly, with the wide option of jobs and subjobs now combined with fov and the lack of ppl their, noone wants to wait for pts their so they jsut solo to 18, makeing pts even harder to come by.
 Siren.Kuz
Server: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2010-10-19 10:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said:
i dont think abyssea ruined traditional level at all. sure, it didnt help, but what killed it ultimaitly was level sync. The idea becames twisted. What started as a way for groupps of friends to fight together, or help find members, became ppl staying at their favorite camp and never leaving, only reping the syncee when they were no longer usefull. With a set up like that, theirs no need to go anywhere else.
To the dunes specificly, with the wide option of jobs and subjobs now combined with fov and the lack of ppl their, noone wants to wait for pts their so they jsut solo to 18, makeing pts even harder to come by.

This.

People solo now till the 20's then find synch-*** for either:
Worms around the pond
Birds in Ron{S}

I miss the days when it was:
"HURRAY I'm done with Quifim! onto the Jungles!!"
"Hurray! Done with Jungles on to... oh wait.. the Garbage Shitedal...."
"Hoooo-***-RAY!!! done with the Shitedal!!! onto Altepa!!!"
"HURRAY!!! Done with Altepa Onto..oh *** me.. Citadel Again??"
"FINALLY done with the Citadel!!! Here I come Colibri Burns till I'm 75... then even more so till I'm Merited out!!!"

I miss all that sooo much.
(Not the citadel though...)

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Solanis
user: Solanis
By Leviathan.Solanis 2010-10-19 10:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Leviathan.Solanis said:
Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Not hard too make 20-24k/hour parties in Valkurm/qufim...

why bother when abyssea gives so much more?

#1, Abyssea is lvl 30+
#2, 90% of the pickup groups take ~2hours+ beofre getting a good pace, or they simply suck
#3, Valkurm/Qufim requires only 4-6 people

1-12 has always been solo, 12-24 should be AB, 24-30 is also AB. Why slog through the dunes when it's just not needed at all?

unless you think it's fun I guess :/

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Kittty
Server: Sylph
user: Kittty
By Sylph.Kittty 2010-10-19 10:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Darkultima said:
Artemicion said:
Abyssea pretty much killed traditional parties.
Better off being a key *** for abyssea or find some LS buddies willing to duo/trio with you with FoV if you wanna go old school.
Can't enter before lv30, so not really in his case.
As lv13, could just LFP in koko tunnel and wait for some AF burn to take him, if the burn is good, will take him to 30 easily^^
EDIT: just saw you got to lv 20 :3 so AF burn isnt good to take anymore, grats n gl tho^^

I hadn't seen anyone in Korroloka Tunnel for awhile now, so I left my level 13 mule lfg there all week long as a test and the only tells I received were to buy gil and wanting me to join a dunes party.

I did a /search in the zone every now and then just to make sure they weren't really there and ignoring me, and it always said "only 1 person found in zone. (me)" Wonder if these are dying/dead too.
By legendarysilver 2010-10-19 11:00:29
Link | Quote | Reply

raise to level cap to 75 make ppl earn there levels (abbyssea)
 Lakshmi.Kyne
user: Kyne
By Lakshmi.Kyne 2010-10-19 11:32:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said:
While astral burn is good, you know that it's not always very convenient because everyone can't leech? You actually need you know ... summoners.

Lol True
Server: Titan
By Titan.Darkestknight 2010-10-19 11:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Hotkarl said:
1. solo 1-12
2. wait in korroloka for AF invite
3. qufim burn with PL to 30
4. start an abby party and be a key ***/leech
5. skill up in castle Z (s)

this is what ppl do now >.>
SE shoulda made abyssea a lvl 75 minimum

And what do they have to show for it?

An inability to know how the job functions, and seriously gimped skills on top.

Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-19 11:52:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Darkestknight said:
Ragnarok.Hotkarl said:
1. solo 1-12
2. wait in korroloka for AF invite
3. qufim burn with PL to 30
4. start an abby party and be a key ***/leech
5. skill up in castle Z (s)

this is what ppl do now >.>
SE shoulda made abyssea a lvl 75 minimum

And what do they have to show for it?

An inability to know how the job functions, and seriously gimped skills on top.

Not really, Jobs play differently in end-game than proper game, and it's not hard to learn how to play a job.

I know plenty of people who've astral burned who are much better than people who have legitimately levelled.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-10-19 11:53:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Exp grinding doesn't really teach you all that much past basic mechanics.
 Bahamut.Zorander
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-10-19 12:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
I was always an xp grinder, and I was always decent at all my jobs but its not until you throw yourself into unique situations offen in low man situations where you are forced to step up your playing or die. That you truely get good at a job or learn how that job works and all the little things associated with it. Solo would work here as well. When its you vs the mob, each time you walk away you learn something new and adapt your play style.

I'd rather have everyone AFburn or abyssea lvl jobs to 85 and actually take the time to learn the job and experiment with the job..than someone that slowly lvls and just because it took him/her a year to get to 85 he/she is automatically entitled to be good at the job because of the lvl grind. Grinding has lost all its fun for me now, and the longer it takes me to get to 85 the more bad habits I will develope because I am tired of the grind and I will get lazy.
 Bismarck.Helixx
Server: Bismarck
user: Helixx
By Bismarck.Helixx 2010-10-19 12:32:19
Link | Quote | Reply

EXP grinding was fun at the start. after 4 jobs 75 it became boaring and a real hindernance of you wanted to level up another job.

Plus dunes died when people found out you can solo to 18+, especially with PL
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-10-19 12:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helixx said:
EXP grinding was fun at the start. after 4 jobs 75 it became boaring and a real hindernance of you wanted to level up another job. Plus dunes died when people found out you can solo to 18+, especially with PL
PL and with FoV you can get to 18 way quicker than messing with a Dunes pt..unless its ppl you know.

Oh yeah and umm..I did 7 jobs to 75 and 700 merits(before abyssea). Xp grinding and I were close friends...how I ever I am glad that friendship has ended../goodbye.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-10-19 12:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Controversial statement incoming since it follows on from Zor's post: being in a big linkshell/only playing in alliance type situations will make you a far worse player than Abysseaburning/astralburning. You really don't improve at all when you have a massive safety net and there are little-no consequences for failure; you get sloppy!
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-10-19 13:19:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Controversial statement incoming since it follows on from Zor's post: being in a big linkshell/only playing in alliance type situations will make you a far worse player than Abysseaburning/astralburning. You really don't improve at all when you have a massive safety net and there are little-no consequences for failure; you get sloppy!
This is absolutely true..doing HNM, Limbus, Sea, Sky, Abyssea NM's, Dynamis or basically anything else in this game. A large group only make you lazy.

For instance fighting Khim with an alliance is boring on whm or rdm, but fighting him with only 6 on whm is much more challenging(or was back at 75) and the margin for error is basically none made me a much better whm.
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
user: Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2010-10-19 13:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I miss lower level solo for some reason, I thought it was fun, especially after /dnc came out, I missed out on most of fov, but aside from cor20, and smn37, everything else is 40+.

If it wasn't for the lack of usefullness, I'd level my mules, but I see that going nowhere. Unless maybe a friend wanted to exp low level, but even then, I'd be better off PL'n them.
Server: Titan
By Titan.Darkestknight 2010-10-19 13:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:

It does however; for the vast majority keep your skills capped.

Lets go for Red Mage, lets say you capped your skills to 30. They'd be:

Enfeebling (A+): 93
Enhancing (B+): 89
Dark (D): 79
Divine (D): 79
Healing (C-): 86
Elemental (C+): 86

then jumped to 85

You'd then need to get them all to the proper caps:
Enfeebling (A+): 331
Enhancing (B+): 311
Dark (D): 255
Divine (D): 255
Healing (C-): 275
Elemental (C+): 285

That's some serious skilling up to be doing.
[+]