Corsair Merits?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Corsair Merits?
Corsair Merits?
First Page 2

| Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Hitting 75COR soon...was wondering, anyone have any suggestion as to what a COR75 should merit?

Group 1

Phantom Roll Recast (-2 seconds per upgrade)
Quick Draw Recast (-2 seconds per upgrade)
Quick Draw Accuracy (+2 per upgrade)
Random Deal Recast (-40 seconds per upgrade)
Bust Duration (-10 seconds per upgrade)

Group 2

Snake Eye (-2 minutes 30 seconds per upgrade)
Fold (-2 minutes 30 seconds per upgrade)
Winning Streak (+20 seconds per upgrade)
Loaded Deck (-10% failure rate per upgrade)
 Sylph.Jetu
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Jetu
By Sylph.Jetu 2009-01-13 03:56:42
Link | Quote | Reply

cor is my main job & have been 75 since 26 December 2006 and this is what i did:

quick draw recast x5
quick draw accuracy x5

snake eye x5
fold x1
winning streak x3
loaded deck x1

the other alternative i was gonna do was:

quick draw recast x5
quick draw accuracy x5

snake eye x5
fold x4
winning streak --
loaded deck x1

but i like the 6min rolls w/ a 5min snake eye
 Odin.Takahishy
Server: Odin
user: Taki
By Odin.Takahishy 2009-01-13 04:11:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I have the same merits ulocked:

Quick draw recast x5
Quick draw accuracy x5

Snake eye x5
Fold x1
Winning streak x3
Loaded deck x1

Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

:D Thanks!
 Asura.Xredx
Server: Asura
user: xredx
By Asura.Xredx 2009-01-13 14:14:38
Link | Quote | Reply

all about winning streak and phantom roll recast for me,
the longer your rolls last the more durable you become end game because i have the option to swap parties and roll on all parties, drop and roll on the next.
you'll find that quick draw recast is important as well as accuracy but i only have one merit in each because i threw them all in phantom roll recast.

i went with Phantom roll +5 winning steak + 5.
Quick draw recast +1 Fold +3.
quick draw accuracy +1 snake eyes +1

i just feel that quick draw and snake eyes were more for merit parties but the winning streak and the phantom rolls were more for the end game activities.
[+]

My original idea was;

Group 1

Phantom Roll Recast 5/5
Random Deal Recast 5/5

Group 2

Snake Eye 5/5
Loaded Deck 5/5

Also meriting Marksmanship, of course. >.>
 Sylph.Jetu
user: Jetu
By Sylph.Jetu 2009-01-13 18:08:13
Link | Quote | Reply

i have quick draw recast & accuracy cause i solo things on my cor with kite/QD method just for kicks
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-13 20:00:11
Link | Quote | Reply

If merriting Loaded Deck 5 times meant it couldn't fail, then it'd be worth doing it. Even with the chance of failure there, it's better to merit something else, because it'll always be far more useful.

It depends entirely what you plan on using Corsair for. If you're in an HNMLS, go for Winning Streak 5/5, because when you land 11 on Evoker's roll for the SMN party, you want it to last 6:40 mins!

It's really personal preference ^^

Personally, I went for 5/5 Quick Draw Recast (Edit, meant recast), 5/5 Phantom roll Recast, Snake Eye 3/5, Winning Streak 5/5, Fold 1/5 and Loaded Deck 1/5 (So that it doesn't hit abilities not waiting on recast).

If my formatting is hard to read, sorry, keep losing Nebimonite on the ferry Q_Q

Hrm. Well for HNM I'll most likely be on RDM/NIN. :s But I'm trying to make it so my COR is endgame ready as well, because I don't want to be on RDM or SMN ALL the time. >.>

On my COR, the things I seem to use most are Random Deal and Phantom Rolls. lol I've only ever really used QD during the rare PT I go /NIN (I play /RNG mostly) and during Dynamis/Campaign Battle.

To be honest, with jobs like RDM and SMN, and the fact I'm meriting my RDM to be a tank, is the main reason I'm at a toss up on what to merit for COR. All three jobs are highly wanted for almost everything in Endgame. I guess leading my shell gives me a little advantage of what I show up as, but I of course am going to come as whatever I'm needed as the most.

What would be a merit setup for COR thats good for Endgame events such as HNM, Dynamis and sky/sea?
 Ifrit.Jurai
Server: Ifrit
user: Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2009-01-14 01:25:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I've not got any group 1 merits yet because I don't really do any events or anything that need me to have those.. but the quick draw ones are the only I'd consider.

But for group 2 I have now:
Snake Eye 5/5
Fold 3/5
Winning Streak 0/5
Loaded Deck 1/5

I don't see Winning Streak being very useful but maybe that's just how I play. If you get a good roll ~1 extra min is hardly worth it I think. But, having Snake Eye and Fold as high as ya can get them lets you try for the best numbers w/o much consequence if you bust- instead of ~1 extra min if you just happen to get lucky.

I usually don't let my rolls stay the full 5 mins anyway unless I get an 11 or lucky sometimes.. Usually I find it best to just reroll them (since you're doing 3 or 4 anyway .. making it 3 or 4 mins later when you can) so they don't wear off at unwanted times.

The others with say
Snake Eye 5/5
Fold 1/5
Winning Streak 3/5
Loaded Deck 1/5
have a good point though, the longer lasting rolls does help if ya play like a bard and don't really try for big numbers- just fold if ya get the unlucky or 6>6.
 Bahamut.Lyle
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Lyle 2009-01-15 00:35:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Best invested in:

5/5 Random Deal
5/5 Quick Draw Accuracy

5/5 Snake Eye
4/5 Fold
1/5 Loaded Deck

Never, ever, ever merit winning streak. Never.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [373 days between previous and next post]
 Ramuh.Valafar
Server: Ramuh
user: Valafar
By Ramuh.Valafar 2010-01-23 07:38:32
Link | Quote | Reply

First off - please forgive me for the necro, but since the thread is related I figured there wasn't much point creating a new one in our pretty and (relatively) uncluttered corner of FFXIAH. Then again, I am gunna derail slightly and move to asking about Cor Combat merit priorities as opposed to group 1/2.

See, Cor is my newly (and third) 75 job, so I don't have room to throw in 8/8 Marks and 8/8 Sword (joytoy user), nor am I willing to remove previous combat merits (8/8Gk and 2/8Pole). I do a fair balance of meritting and endgame events, so it's not like either sword or gun go unused more than the other.

tl;dr, I have space for 10 more combat merits for cor, to split between sword and marksmanship. My fellow gentlemen of fortune, would you suggest favouring one over the other? Having low skill caps overall hurts D:

Currently favouring sword over marks to allow me more versatility in using haste builds instead of acc, but input from more experienced cor's is welcome.
 Bahamut.Leonelf
Server: Bahamut
user: LeonPSP
By Bahamut.Leonelf 2010-01-23 09:40:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Valafar said:
First off - please forgive me for the necro, but since the thread is related I figured there wasn't much point creating a new one in our pretty and (relatively) uncluttered corner of FFXIAH. Then again, I am gunna derail slightly and move to asking about Cor Combat merit priorities as opposed to group 1/2.

See, Cor is my newly (and third) 75 job, so I don't have room to throw in 8/8 Marks and 8/8 Sword (joytoy user), nor am I willing to remove previous combat merits (8/8Gk and 2/8Pole). I do a fair balance of meritting and endgame events, so it's not like either sword or gun go unused more than the other.

tl;dr, I have space for 10 more combat merits for cor, to split between sword and marksmanship. My fellow gentlemen of fortune, would you suggest favouring one over the other? Having low skill caps overall hurts D:

Currently favouring sword over marks to allow me more versatility in using haste builds instead of acc, but input from more experienced cor's is welcome.

I would do 6 Sword Skill and 4 Marksmanship Skill
Sword skill will help you gain TP more, and it's good for various jobs as well such as PLD BLU RDM etc. in case you have them too.
But 5 Sword skill 5 Marksmanship would be just as good
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2010-01-23 10:37:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Valafar said:

It depends entirely what you plan on using your COR for. If you plan on just using it to merit, sword and marksmanship are kind of a waste fullstop. However if you plan on using COR a little more than just in merit parties, you'd benefit from Marksmanship mnerits to raise damage. Sword merits will go unnoticed on COR; however you have other jobs that will benefit from these merits.
 Siren.Pantmonkey
Server: Siren
By Siren.Pantmonkey 2010-01-23 11:47:35
Link | Quote | Reply

For the groups on COR i went

5/5 recast and accuracy. I like phantom being 1min, its easier to work out how long till re-rolling. I didnt see bust duration being good, cos any COR knows 6 and above, if its a needed buff, you dont duble w/o fold being up.

I then went 3/5 winningstreak, this makes my rols 6mins long, so i can hit 2 rolls in each pt in the alliance, and be back to roll again. the extra 40 seconds really isnt needed if your on the ball.

I went 5/5 Snake eye's so every time i hit a set of rolls when im in one party, i can get it onto 11, off unlucky or onto lucky easier.

I went 2/5 fold then, as random deal is so freaking tempramental (and 15mins recast w/o merits, which as QD is so good, i went there), i prefer the lower recast on fold, cos whenever fold is up, il always duble on the 6 maybe even 7 if its unlucky, and we can wait 1 min more for my roll.

As for combat skills, i went 8/8 marksmanship, as slug shot is so annoying to land at the best of times, that i wanted to hit more effectively. Also COR/WHM i can actaully TP on mobs with a gun, from range rather well especially if the mob is AoE and its not safe to have anything but the PLD's in there, ie: see Faust.

Hope this helps!

PM
 Asura.Artemicion
Server: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-01-23 12:41:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If COR was my main, I would choose:

8/8 HP
5/5 STR
8 Marksmanship
8 Sword (assuming you own a Joyeuse)
4 Parrying
4 Critical Hit Rate
4 -Enmity

5/5 Phantom Roll Recast (the quicker you can give everyone their buffs the more dmg you can pull off and in essence the longer everyone keeps their buffs active)

5/5 QD recast (Combined with Mirke buff you can make QD charges as quick as 45 seconds each)

5/5 Snake Eye (This decreases your margin of error significantly the more frequent this is available. Can easily turn a #10 into the best buff available and can also quickly turn an unlucky to something decent or a normal buff to lucky)

1 Fold (Optional, but it's always good to have an 'Oh ***' button available)

4/5 Winning Streak (longer buffs, more DMG, less running between party members to rebuff)

0/5 Loaded Deck (I almost never use this ability out of necessity except for zergs)
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-01-23 12:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Takahishy said:
I have the same merits ulocked:

Quick draw recast x5
Quick draw accuracy x5

Snake eye x5
Fold x1
Winning streak x3
Loaded deck x1

this is what i did
 Titan.Bromber
Server: Titan
user: bromber
By Titan.Bromber 2010-01-23 14:02:27
Link | Quote | Reply

5 quick draw accuracy
5 quick draw recast

5 snake eye
5 fold

these imo are the best merits to get because fold is a great ability for when you mess up a roll and you dont have snake eye ready. I have tried the others and winning streak is not needed at all and cor afv2 instead of loaded deck
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [776 days between previous and next post]
 Odin.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2012-03-09 21:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Necroooooooo.
I was wondering what people are meriting for Corsair now? Is Quick Draw accuracy still as valuable as it was at 75 cap? I don't really experience any resists at all (though I've only finished Armageddon 2 days ago so I haven't played Corsair for very long). Was thinking of demeriting it for Random Deal to get a little more use of Loaded Deck.

As for Group 2, I was thinking of doing:
- 5/5 Snake Eye
- 1/5 Fold
- 3/5 Winning Streak
- 1/5 Loaded Deck

Really new to Corsair, so looking to get advice from experts.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-03-10 08:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Everything fought so far has given me resists very rarely. Also with all the macc gear SE throws at us QDacc merits are simply redundant at this point. For group 1 I'd pick PR recast cause RD recast just isn't nearly enough to make a difference.

As for group 2, three merits to Winning Steak aren't going to do anything for you, should just take Fold to 4 or at least to 3 with Loaded Deck at 2.
 Odin.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2012-03-10 08:44:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Hm. If a lower PR recast is good to have I guess I can finally put some augments on my ASA pants. Thanks.
 Shiva.Chelney
Server: Shiva
user: Chelney
By Shiva.Chelney 2012-03-10 08:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I have QD recast/acc both at 5/5 for group 1's (as much mag acc gear as you can obtain, the merits apply directly to your quick draw effecting it directly. So I'd still prefer the QD acc merits. Once again, more because once your Phantom Roll rotaion is up, it doesn't matter if it takes 1 min or 50 secs)

As for Group 2
5/5 Snake Eye
5/5 Fold

putting merits into the other group 2s is up to you. However, personally I think once you have your roll rotation going it doesnt matter how long they stay up for. As for Loaded deck. To merit something that only gets used at the most once every 20 mins is pointless.

5/5 Fold alows you to be more aggressive in your rolls. So that you can go for the 11 more often.
and... if you havent done 5/5 snake eye yet... you're meriting wrong.

All this said, it comes down to personal preference for most of these merits. So do what your more comfortable with. GL and enjoy cor!
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2012-03-10 09:38:30
Link | Quote | Reply

for me COR turned out to be my mainly VW job (with Armageddon90) so my merits are mostly build around this. i changed my macc merits to Phantomroll recast and this is what i currently use:

Group 1
5/5 Phantom roll
5/5 QD recast

Group 2
5/5 Snake eye
1/5 Fold
1/5 Loaded Deck
3/5 Winning Streak

Main goal allways to keep up 2 11 rolls on the DD PT. The recast- merits i really like cause you can spam phantom roll faster to get the 2nd 11 when busting like hell and the Winning Streak together with emph+2 hands make a decent duration. QD is a nice dmg bosst, but well lets be honest we now mainly use it for TP and to enhance WF dmg and i rarly see any resist with it so macc was kinda pointless for me
 Sylph.Agentblade
By Sylph.Agentblade 2012-03-10 19:56:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I went with
Group 1
5/5 Phantom roll
5/5 QD recast

Group 2
5/5 Snake eye
3/5 Fold
2/5 Loaded Deck
 Quetzalcoatl.Crystalchan
Leonardo da Clippi
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Crystalchan 2012-03-10 20:22:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I have
QD recast 5
Phantom roll 5
and
Snake Eye 5
Fold 5
Used to have one in loaded deck and 4/5 in fold, but I kept finding that I was struggling a bit more with busting, so I did 5/5 fold instead.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-03-11 06:38:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Necroooooooo.
I was wondering what people are meriting for Corsair now? Is Quick Draw accuracy still as valuable as it was at 75 cap? I don't really experience any resists at all (though I've only finished Armageddon 2 days ago so I haven't played Corsair for very long). Was thinking of demeriting it for Random Deal to get a little more use of Loaded Deck.

As for Group 2, I was thinking of doing:
- 5/5 Snake Eye
- 1/5 Fold
- 3/5 Winning Streak
- 1/5 Loaded Deck

Really new to Corsair, so looking to get advice from experts.

Group 1 I did PR recast and QD recast 5/5, group 2 I did the same as yours. Personally I found the benefit of 3/5 winning streak greater than 7.5 min fold. It allows me to buff multiple pt, or do more than 2 buffs for everyone in pt depending on what ppl need. Or have buffs stay on pt member longer when I died/dc/***went wrong and so on. And in situations when I need to DD, it allows me to do more dmg by spending less time buffing. If I rolled a No.11, it lasts longer, if I rolled a bad number roll, just overwrite them with low PR recast if fold isn't up(it's not like 7.5 min recast fold is going to be up 100% of time anyways), or just carry a bust effect if I don't need buffs as much(bust only affects COR itself but not pt member anyways). Last No.11 update and recent snake eye augment pants also made it harder to land a shitty roll.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-03-11 06:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

If a battle is long rolls need to be redone either way, WS is a worthless buff compared to the benefits of Fold which allows to double-up more aggressively or grants flexibility when you need to reroll the same buffs due to deaths/dispels etc.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-03-11 06:56:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
If a battle is long rolls need to be redone either way, WS is a worthless buff compared to the benefits of Fold which allows to double-up more aggressively or grants flexibility when you need to reroll the same buffs due to deaths/dispels etc.

You don't "need" fold to double-up aggressively, you can either rewrite your bad roll or just double-up anyways since bust doesn't affect pt member. Without WS merit, in situation when you only do 2 rolls, you only have fold up every 2 roll cycle as well, which isn't much higher than 15 min recast. How'd WS be worthless buff when you can do way more buffs for multiple pt, or multiple different buff? In a situations when you're constantly DDing for long hour(like dynamis), the amount of time you redo roll will be much lower, thus have more time to kill more mobs for currency and so on.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-03-11 07:06:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »

Speaking of death/dispel, there are ways to solve this problem. If the mob you're fighting constantly spams dispel, fat chances are full fold merit isn't going to help much, you may as well just carry 1 bust effect and reapply buffs whenever it dispels. If you see one person died and need to rebuff, just buff another roll away from everyone else while he wait for unweak, then buff him again. There are so many rolls to choose from, you can easily find a new roll that will also benefit yourself while rotating.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-03-11 07:07:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes bust doesn't affect the party, but why should you gimp yourself with it(it also affects the fact that you're forced to "play safe" on all rolls till it's on, otherwise you risk a double bust and that turns you into a waste of space).
Multiple buffs doesn't exist in reality. We're dds as well which means we have to do 3 at best(rogue and fighter are the only ones we don't keep on ourselves when shooting). If not you need to reorganize your party formation better.
Dynamis probably means you're meleeing with /dnc, which means you're doing the exact same thing as everyone else.
Last but not least, it takes 2-10 bloody seconds to put on a roll!
First Page 2