Easiest Mage Job To Level?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Easiest Mage Job to level?
Easiest Mage Job to level?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Shiva.Khimaira
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2010-05-29 18:42:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Title says it all
 Sylph.Ashaaman
Server: Sylph
user: Ashaaman
By Sylph.Ashaaman 2010-05-29 18:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Mages are as hard and complex as you make them. Easiest mage job to level is probably RDM(or BRD if you count that as a mage). Easiest mage to play correctly w/ the right gear/macros @ 75 is probably BLM... But that blows to level... So it's all in what you're looking for. Fastest to 75, RDM/BRD; Easiest to play @ 75, BLM.
 Sylph.Kimble
user: Jornna
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-05-29 18:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

BLM if you want to solo and not worry about parites/dont have time.

Other than then, RDM should generally be easy since fast invite.

If you consider SMN a mage job than that one is easiest by far.
 Fenrir.Xeonerable
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Xeonerable 2010-05-29 18:47:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I would have to say WHM... because parties will always need a healer, and well.. thats what WHM is for.

RDM is pretty easy and you are made to be the healer, but that is usually after you get Refresh that people will want you. pre-Refresh level is not as easy to get a party.
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2010-05-29 18:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Summoner is a mage job, it has MP, Bard has`nt got native MP so therefore it`s not a mage.

But to the point yea, rdm is easiest to get invites on, especially at 40+, also a pretty easy job to solo on.
 Sylph.Ashaaman
By Sylph.Ashaaman 2010-05-29 18:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Xeonerable said:
I would have to say WHM... because parties will always need a healer, and well.. thats what WHM is for.

RDM is pretty easy and you are made to be the healer, but that is usually after you get Refresh that people will want you. pre-Refresh level is not as easy to get a party.

WHM pre-70 is hell to level since most parties you'll be main healer and even with /sch... You only get one charge. And w/ DDs subbing non-nin subs, it'll put a strain on your MP. Now, disclaimer; I'm not saying that all people will not be able to do this, and it's possible since WHMs get to 75 all the time... But I'm saying, and I have both to 75. Pre-70 RDM was a lot easier to main heal on. But post-70 w/ /sch and a few more pieces of gear, WHM takes the cake, for me atleast.
 Sylph.Ashaaman
By Sylph.Ashaaman 2010-05-29 18:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calatilla said:
Summoner is a mage job, it has MP, Bard has`nt got native MP so therefore it`s not a mage.

But to the point yea, rdm is easiest to get invites on, especially at 40 , also a pretty easy job to solo on.

Bard has a spell list... Are jobs that have MP such as PLD, DRK, etc classified as mages? Having native MP and spells doesn't make a mage.
[+]
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2010-05-29 18:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Brd doesnt have a spell list, it has a song list
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2010-05-29 18:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
if you're not used paying much attention (mindless DD lol) then just stick with BRD
Yeah, you dont need any attention when pulling.
 Sylph.Ashaaman
By Sylph.Ashaaman 2010-05-29 19:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Well.. RDM is a complex job if you actually try to play it right... People these days just are haste/refresh/cure bots. And never really learn the intricacies of RDM.

And also to the "Song list" comment. Go to your main menu and click the button that says magic... Ope, Songs appears under it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-05-29 19:00:52
Link | Quote | Reply

BRD if you count it, SMN if you AF (but not incredibly useful at 75) and RDM for an easy job to level as well as the most powerful and versatile job in the game imo.

It's a very easy job in exp (though tedious - you have been warned) and even before 41 I never had a problem getting invites. Healers aren't so common at that level that people can be picky and you can still play to RDM's forte by chainpulling and crowd controlling mobs as they come etc.

It can get complex later on but during exp it really is an easy job.
 Asura.Shayka
user: Shayka
By Asura.Shayka 2010-05-29 19:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Khim! I personally think WHM is pretty easy to level, but then again this is from the person that solo's a lot, though even in parties its not that hard to main heal pretty easily, even without /sch. I've done it, but I rock =3 lol. If you leveled BLU, you can level anything.
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-05-29 19:05:11
Link | Quote | Reply

From a new player perspective I think WHM is the easiest to level, because everyone needs/wants a healer and that pretty much all you're doing is healing as WHM. Finding someone who can play it correctly might be a different story though.

SMN would be one of the harder mage jobs to level because of a lack of a decent Cure, MP management and you need to fight the avatars before you can summon them.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-05-29 19:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Xeonerable said:

I've yet to see a WHM in merit party, guess who always gets stuck healing?

RDM, you can solo (not quite as quickly as BLM, but you do the same thing they can do generally) fast invites, is used in almost all events, gets merit pts in no time flat..

Just go RDM.. Only thing is the first 40 levels suck, pt invites aren't anywhere near as quick..
 Unicorn.Jewkitten
Server: Unicorn
user: Jewkitten
By Unicorn.Jewkitten 2010-05-29 19:42:31
Link | Quote | Reply

WHM gets invites but once you hit 75 they dry up so it's bad for merits.

RDM gets invites 100% of the time + merit invites.

So RDM is "easiest to lvl" but not necessarily easiest to play.

But in my own experience there is a trillion scrubby RDM out there, if you want to participate in end game lvl BLM by any means necessary!
[+]
 Seraph.Gilhaven
Server: Seraph
user: Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2010-05-29 20:53:27
Link | Quote | Reply

whm is easiest to lvl at the start cuz everyone brings their own PL'er so u just sit there and cast the occasional enfeebling spell...maybe..IF that.
By brahmdut 2010-05-29 21:12:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
if you're not used paying much attention (mindless DD lol) then just stick with BRD
Yeah, you dont need any attention when pulling.

the puller is not a "Mindless DD" LOL IMO

RDM is very simple to me solo >> but i like blm but some spells get really spendey at NPC
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-29 21:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Gilhaven said:
whm is easiest to lvl at the start cuz everyone brings their own PL'er so u just sit there and cast the occasional enfeebling spell...maybe..IF that.
Using this same logic, any party with a PL and a combined half of a brain wouldn't invite a WHM.

As far as easiest mage job to level, I'm going to have to say SCH. You get invited to normal parties, and you get invited to Manaburn parties. And you can solo. And you can burn puddings at 75. Only downside is you don't really get invites to merit parties, because of Haste. It sucks to not have Haste at all in normal parties too, but it's not AS bad, because Haste isn't as great when you're not heavily stacking it. Enspells help to close some of the gap, and Stoneskinga/Blinkga is enough to overcome that gap. Lets your DDs go /WAR or /SAM instead of /NIN.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-29 21:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Red Mage. Even if the party doesn't want a healer, they'll want Haste. This is mainly once you get to Colibri. Either way, many people take Sch and Rdm over Whm for exp parties.

Edit: No matter which one you level to 75, you'll want the rest as subs. So get them to 37 also (40 with the update and all).

I'd personally pick Sch since it looks entertaining. I never got around to it when I was playing, though.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-29 21:35:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Like most jobs, BRD is easy if you play it wrong. If all you plan to do is sing songs then go to sleep for 40 seconds then repeat, then feel free to drink from the cup of mediocrity.

If you want to fish fast, change songs on the fly depending on the situation (Yes this doesn't happen often, but identifying the time where marchx2 can be switched out temporarily for something safer is a skill imo) then brd can be quite challenging.

Quick example:

HNM's the other night and I see our BLM/RDM is about to go down, there's no way he can get stoneskin up in time, me and the other healers are out of MP, I quickly Pianissimo Hymnus on him as to save the time and MP of the other healers. I was told good work, People play brd too stiffly and stupidly. and that's why people are under the opinion that it is a boring job.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-29 21:36:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I had 75 SCH, RDM, SMN, 66 BLM, and 58 WHM. I have experience with all the main mages, I had Relic and appropriate gear for SCH, RDM, and SMN, and I have to say, without a doubt, SCH is my favorite job.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-29 21:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

SCH is by far one of the best experiences I've had playing FFXI so far. Being able to change your profession on the fly is incredibly fun.
 Shiva.Daimos
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-05-29 21:40:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I've actually loved leveling BRD, weather it's pulling or /whm (although I dont have a problem pulling /whm)
It is iincredibly easy to level just because "who doesn't want a BRD?"
No experience with it endgame yet as it's only 67, but I'm looking forward to it.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Flippant
Server: Ragnarok
user: Enceladus
By Ragnarok.Flippant 2010-05-29 21:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say SCH was the hardest of all the mage jobs for me to level up. It was so bad that I stopped at 60 despite having made macros, planning out gear sets, and working on equipment for 75. I've been meaning to get back to it, but it's been over a year and I still can't get myself to try it again.

BRD>RDM>BLM>WHM?>>>>>>>>SCH for me, and SMN just depends whether you've got people to AF with or not.

Everyone loves a BRD, and everyone loves a RDM. BLM's third simply because chigoe burns seem quite popular at the moment, and they're the only reason my BLM is 75 (I didn't even have any intention on taking it to 75, it just...happened to go from 66->75 in three days). Even before chigoe burn though, BLM was quite easy to solo/duo. WHM I'm not really sure, because I leveled it so many years ago and the game/job has changed quite a bit since then. A WHM/SCH should get a fair bit of invites for merit parties though, as they're more self sufficient than people seem to give credit.

BRD was the most fun for me to level, I really enjoyed the pulling. But pulling for merits at 75 will burn you out fast.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-29 22:02:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I find myself finding SCH quite complicated and I'm only level 31. I've got a Nuke, heal and Idle set atm.

Not sure what to do with Macro's atm either.

currently I have

CTRL: 1. Light Arts(Gear change), 2. Add: White, 3. Cure II, 4. Dia, 5. Regen, 6. empty, 7. empty, 8. Celerity, 9. Penury, 10. empty

ALT: 1. Dark Arts(Gear change), 2. Add: Black, 3. Nuke1, 4. Nuke2, 5. Nuke3, 6. Drain, 7. Sleep, 8. Alacrity, 9. Parsimony, 10. empty

At some point I'm planning on my macros to change set when I click Light Arts or Dark Arts.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-29 22:03:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Being able to change your profession on the fly is incredibly fun.
GOGO FF14!

I just realized this, lol. People love the idea of Sch being able to change jobs at will, but dislike the idea on FFXIV. Hmm.
 Ragnarok.Flippant
Server: Ragnarok
user: Enceladus
By Ragnarok.Flippant 2010-05-29 22:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I had four sets (eight rows) strictly for my level.

1. Cure IVs + buffs
2. -na's + light enfeebles

1. Cure III's + buffs
2. White Arts + Strategems

1. Sleeps + black enfeebles
2. Black Arts + Strategems

1. Nukes
2. Nukes

They were set up like that so if I was responsible for curing I idled on the second set and if I was nuking, I idled on the third set, and just moved up/down accordingly. I've never macro'd in /book or /set, but I'm quite used to changing sets on the spot, so I figured it'd be better to just do it that way. But I'm sure /set would work great.

For me, it's better to set up macros in a way that you're ready to fill in everything you'll need to at 75, otherwise the macros you're used to now are going to get moved around and you'll end up confused and hitting the wrong thing. So if I'm leveling a job I plan to take all the way, I make all the macros really early on and, by 75, I have everything memorized.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-05-29 22:23:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Allow me to interject for a moment.

SCH is, in my opinion, the only job that requires spellcast in order to play it efficiently. I actually manually type out my spells (Using aliases of course. //thunder4 instead of /ma "Thunder IV" <t>), and it sort of streamlines everything. Of course Spellcast equips the right gear and everything (Even equips correct Obis depending on whether or not you have your weather up, and equips Uggalepih Pendant at the right times, etc), there's no reason not to use it, aside from unwillingness to learn.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5