Easiest Mage Job To Level?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Easiest Mage Job to level?
Easiest Mage Job to level?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Asura.Bostech
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Bostech
By Asura.Bostech 2010-06-01 02:05:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Asura.Bostech said:
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Asura.Bostech said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Allow me to interject for a moment. SCH is, in my opinion, the only job that requires spellcast in order to play it efficiently. I actually manually type out my spells (Using aliases of course. //thunder4 instead of /ma "Thunder IV" <t>), and it sort of streamlines everything. Of course Spellcast equips the right gear and everything (Even equips correct Obis depending on whether or not you have your weather up, and equips Uggalepih Pendant at the right times, etc), there's no reason not to use it, aside from unwillingness to learn.
It doesn't require spellcast. Is it easier? Probably. But I've been playing on xbox for a long time now without it and I play just as efficient and most of the time more so than others. You just have to pay a little more attention and have quick hands.
There's no job in this game that "requires" spellcast. I'm sure there's plenty of sch's out there who have never used spellcast..not saying it doesn't make you more efficient at your job because it does, but those without only have to work/think a bit quicker and be more selective of the gear they bring. As long as someone has enough skill to use the right gear at the right times, skill > gear, always. Mage jobs are going to be challenging regardless, if you're planning on putting effort into them.
Huh? Are you saying spellcast lets you carry more gear in your inventory? And I don't see how spellcast lets you play more efficiently if you're carrying and using the same gear for the same spells. All spellcast does is make it easier for you to do your job efficiently. If you're not playing efficiently or if you're playing less efficiently, it's a skill or laziness problem, not because you don't have spellcast.
It has nothing to do with the amount of gear you can hold in your inventory, but rather the amount of gear you can macro in. Macros themselves are limited to 6 lines without spellcast, which limits you to at most 5 gear swaps unless you're using more than one macro for whatever spell/JA you're trying to do. And this isn't even mentioning precast/midcast gear swaps or weather/day/whatever-other-condition specific gear swaps, which would be extremely limited without spellcast. If you've got 8 different useful pieces of gear for a particular set and only 5 macro lines to swap it, you do have to be more selective about your gear. But anyways, I wasn't originally trying to argue the benefits of using windower but trying to point out that even though it does make it easier to play a job like sch more efficiently, sch doesn't necessarily require windower to be played well. I was actually agreeing with you. (:

Yes, you're saying SCH can be played well without windower/spellcast. But you're also saying it can be played more efficiently with it. What I'm saying is that it's the same with or without it. You do exactly what you said above. You use more than one macro to swap out what you need. And yes you can hit more than 1 macro before your spell goes off. When nuking I hit a total of 2-3 macros (1 includes telling me what my MP is at and at what MP I need to switch to uggy pendant), and I manually go into equipment to swap to my obi. I still have enough time to come back to the screen and watch the rest of the casting go off.

Again, all spellcast does is make it easier(less motions) to play efficiently, not more efficiently. You can achieve the same effect in the same amount of time without it.
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
Server: Unicorn
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-06-01 02:38:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bostech said:
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Asura.Bostech said:
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Asura.Bostech said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Allow me to interject for a moment. SCH is, in my opinion, the only job that requires spellcast in order to play it efficiently. I actually manually type out my spells (Using aliases of course. //thunder4 instead of /ma "Thunder IV" <t>), and it sort of streamlines everything. Of course Spellcast equips the right gear and everything (Even equips correct Obis depending on whether or not you have your weather up, and equips Uggalepih Pendant at the right times, etc), there's no reason not to use it, aside from unwillingness to learn.
It doesn't require spellcast. Is it easier? Probably. But I've been playing on xbox for a long time now without it and I play just as efficient and most of the time more so than others. You just have to pay a little more attention and have quick hands.
There's no job in this game that "requires" spellcast. I'm sure there's plenty of sch's out there who have never used spellcast..not saying it doesn't make you more efficient at your job because it does, but those without only have to work/think a bit quicker and be more selective of the gear they bring. As long as someone has enough skill to use the right gear at the right times, skill > gear, always. Mage jobs are going to be challenging regardless, if you're planning on putting effort into them.
Huh? Are you saying spellcast lets you carry more gear in your inventory? And I don't see how spellcast lets you play more efficiently if you're carrying and using the same gear for the same spells. All spellcast does is make it easier for you to do your job efficiently. If you're not playing efficiently or if you're playing less efficiently, it's a skill or laziness problem, not because you don't have spellcast.
It has nothing to do with the amount of gear you can hold in your inventory, but rather the amount of gear you can macro in. Macros themselves are limited to 6 lines without spellcast, which limits you to at most 5 gear swaps unless you're using more than one macro for whatever spell/JA you're trying to do. And this isn't even mentioning precast/midcast gear swaps or weather/day/whatever-other-condition specific gear swaps, which would be extremely limited without spellcast. If you've got 8 different useful pieces of gear for a particular set and only 5 macro lines to swap it, you do have to be more selective about your gear. But anyways, I wasn't originally trying to argue the benefits of using windower but trying to point out that even though it does make it easier to play a job like sch more efficiently, sch doesn't necessarily require windower to be played well. I was actually agreeing with you. (:

Yes, you're saying SCH can be played well without windower/spellcast. But you're also saying it can be played more efficiently with it. What I'm saying is that it's the same with or without it. You do exactly what you said above. You use more than one macro to swap out what you need. And yes you can hit more than 1 macro before your spell goes off. When nuking I hit a total of 2-3 macros (1 includes telling me what my MP is at and at what MP I need to switch to uggy pendant), and I manually go into equipment to swap to my obi. I still have enough time to come back to the screen and watch the rest of the casting go off.

Again, all spellcast does is make it easier(less motions) to play efficiently, not more efficiently. You can achieve the same effect in the same amount of time without it.

Ok, I had a long explanation written for how I think that my not having to hit multiple macros and manually swap has personally been a more efficient way for me to pull off gear swaps for a single spell, and I know you're gonna stand firm to some anti-windower argument that you pulled out of thin air here and blast me for being lazy, so you know what, forget it :/

No need to be nit-picky. I'm not gonna sit here and take up for myself. I play how I want to play, you play how you want to play. I'm not gonna argue the point anymore though. You've managed to take one statement I made, agreeing with you, and try to turn it around on me to make it seem like I'm arguing for windower when I actually was not.
 Asura.Bostech
Server: Asura
user: Bostech
By Asura.Bostech 2010-06-01 04:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Just to make it clear, I'm not badmouthing spellcast. If I could use it I would. But it wouldn't make me cast spells faster, harder, or more accurate. It's more efficient in the sense of swapping gear. That's it. And using windower isn't being lazy. When I mentioned lazy earlier, I was referring to someone who doesn't make multiple macros if they run out of room.

You said "not saying it(spellcast) doesn't make you more efficient at your job because it does..."

So if you're saying that it's a more efficient way of swapping gear for and/or during your spells, then yea it is, I agree. But if you're saying it allows you to be more efficient in the sense of being able to do your job which to me is how much damage you do, how much accuracy you do it with, and how fast do you do it and move on, then no I don't agree. And by "fast" I mean casting time and quickness/reaction to the next spell, not how many motions it takes you to swap gear, because it's irrelevant. You won't cast faster, harder, more accurate, or cast your next spell sooner by using 1 macro or 3 macros. If everything was instant and there were no delays between spells, then it would be different. Spellcast would allow you to play your job more efficiently if that were the case.