Is It Worth Even Playing This Game From The Beginning?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » is it worth even playing this game from the beginning?
is it worth even playing this game from the beginning?
First Page 2 3 4
 Asura.Meechia
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Meechia
By Asura.Meechia 2010-05-21 14:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello everyone - I'm a player from the "old days" when it was first released on the PC for the US. Back then there were ample players who were just starting, so achieving rank, sky, etc., was not a problem. After a hiatus of about 2 years, I came back, couldn't recover my characters so I restarted. (First char was a lvl 67 samuari, another was a lvl 56 bard). Due to outside circumstances, only raised a lvl 56 whm - achieved rank again, etc. After ANOTHER hiatus (please realize, had a job/college/marriage/moving, busy busy outside stuff!!), came back last year, again couldn't recover my character so got a samurai to lvl 56, among other odd jobs. That time, however, I was running into problems getting assistance achieving rank or sky or any other issue that being absent from the game for so long that I didn't even know about. I have decided to try to come back again, but this time purchased the Xbox version of the game. After my purchase had some hesitation because I may not be able to recover the character I had last year, so - once again - will be starting from the ground up. I miss the game somewhat (considering the things I have to have, i.e. rank and the assistance to get that), and miss just the general feel of the social community. However, the last time I was back, got a very different feel from the game - gone was the willingness to help - except for the assistance of 2 high lever characters (thanks Banjo and Killerofall) I would have given up. Just about everyone has rank, so no one is trying to get assistance to get that, or am I just looking in the wrong place? Farming has changed, and even the places parties used to go (back in the old days) have even changed. For instance, I used to love the Boyhada Tree, but got laughed at last time when I suggested going there. It appears everyone is more or less end game period. Any suggestions - in other words, any servers that may have people starting over that would be more willing to do the "lower level" things? Or would it just be a complete waste of time in that it's too late??
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-05-21 14:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

tl;dr

Use paragraphs for the love of all things holy.
[+]
 Asura.Shua
user: Shua
By Asura.Shua 2010-05-21 14:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I really dont see why you couldnt play from the beginning, im sure their are tons of good linkshells with friends you could make that would love to help you out :)
 Sylph.Spency
Server: Sylph
user: Spencyono
By Sylph.Spency 2010-05-21 14:12:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Buy gil to pay for help to get missions done and astral burn you to 75!
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-21 14:16:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Meechia said:
Hello everyone - I'm a player from the "old days" when it was first released on the PC for the US. Back then there were ample players who were just starting, so achieving rank, sky, etc., was not a problem. After a hiatus of about 2 years, I came back, couldn't recover my characters so I restarted. (First char was a lvl 67 samuari, another was a lvl 56 bard). Due to outside circumstances, only raised a lvl 56 whm - achieved rank again, etc. After ANOTHER hiatus (please realize, had a job/college/marriage/moving, busy busy outside stuff!!), came back last year, again couldn't recover my character so got a samurai to lvl 56, among other odd jobs. That time, however, I was running into problems getting assistance achieving rank or sky or any other issue that being absent from the game for so long that I didn't even know about. I have decided to try to come back again, but this time purchased the Xbox version of the game. After my purchase had some hesitation because I may not be able to recover the character I had last year, so - once again - will be starting from the ground up. I miss the game somewhat (considering the things I have to have, i.e. rank and the assistance to get that), and miss just the general feel of the social community. However, the last time I was back, got a very different feel from the game - gone was the willingness to help - except for the assistance of 2 high lever characters (thanks Banjo and Killerofall) I would have given up. Just about everyone has rank, so no one is trying to get assistance to get that, or am I just looking in the wrong place? Farming has changed, and even the places parties used to go (back in the old days) have even changed. For instance, I used to love the Boyhada Tree, but got laughed at last time when I suggested going there. It appears everyone is more or less end game period. Any suggestions - in other words, any servers that may have people starting over that would be more willing to do the "lower level" things? Or would it just be a complete waste of time in that it's too late??

like even 6 months ago i would have said differently

but it's probably at the point where it's too late.

still, if you decide to stay, take comfort in the fact that you can solo or duo almost all of your rank missions up to six, and there aren't many tangible benefits beyond rank six

levelling is pretty fast, and you can duo or trio your way to sky, when the 80 cap comes(and it probably will before you hit 75) rotz missions up to sky access may even be soloable
 Shiva.Xellith
Server: Shiva
user: Xellith
By Shiva.Xellith 2010-05-21 14:20:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Meechia said:
Hello everyone

I'm a player from the "old days" when it was first released on the PC for the US. Back then there were ample players who were just starting, so achieving rank, sky, etc., was not a problem.

After a hiatus of about 2 years, I came back, couldn't recover my characters so I restarted. (First char was a lvl 67 samuari, another was a lvl 56 bard). Due to outside circumstances, only raised a lvl 56 whm - achieved rank again, etc.

After ANOTHER hiatus (please realize, had a job/college/marriage/moving, busy busy outside stuff!!), came back last year, again couldn't recover my character so got a samurai to lvl 56, among other odd jobs. That time, however, I was running into problems getting assistance achieving rank or sky or any other issue that being absent from the game for so long that I didn't even know about.

I have decided to try to come back again, but this time purchased the Xbox version of the game. After my purchase had some hesitation because I may not be able to recover the character I had last year, so - once again - will be starting from the ground up.

I miss the game somewhat (considering the things I have to have, i.e. rank and the assistance to get that), and miss just the general feel of the social community. However, the last time I was back, got a very different feel from the game - gone was the willingness to help - except for the assistance of 2 high lever characters (thanks Banjo and Killerofall) I would have given up. Just about everyone has rank, so no one is trying to get assistance to get that, or am I just looking in the wrong place? Farming has changed, and even the places parties used to go (back in the old days) have even changed. For instance, I used to love the Boyhada Tree, but got laughed at last time when I suggested going there.

It appears everyone is more or less end game period. Any suggestions - in other words, any servers that may have people starting over that would be more willing to do the "lower level" things? Or would it just be a complete waste of time in that it's too late??

edited for at least some readability since the OP hasnt come back to edit the post!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Soupbowl
Server: Ragnarok
user: soupbowl
By Ragnarok.Soupbowl 2010-05-21 14:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

My LS has had 4 totally new to game people join in the last 2 months. With a little Ls help, they are leveling quickly, one will have 75 BLM by the end of this month.
 Ramuh.Kalyna
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-05-21 14:22:20
Link | Quote | Reply

op: don't bother

wait til FF14 comes out and play that instead =D
 Ramuh.Tousou
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-05-21 14:26:12
Link | Quote | Reply

At this point in the game, I'd say no. As you've said, most everyone has rank and few want to go through the hell of certain missions. If you play for the social aspect, you should be okay when you find a nice group to chat/hang out with. If you actually want to attempt to get things done, or play "catch up," you're probably better off spending your time doing something else.

For example: I've managed to put about 8 hours into XI in the past few days. When I say that, I mean I was sitting around with my Flag up waiting for a party invite. Spoiler: I didn't get one.

Obviously, this won't always be the case, especially if you play during peak times, but nevertheless be prepared to spend your "Playtime" doing something completely different.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-05-21 14:33:31
Link | Quote | Reply

With lvl cap get raised to 80 I'd imagine a renewed vigor for lvling and all things xp.

CoP won't be nearly the *** it use to with Lvl caps being removed.

Sky/Nations are easily dual'd/Trio'd just find some good friends and do them...Hell I think up to 6 can be solo'd on the right jobs.

The game is going to change in the next 3 to 4 months..and be completely different. Stuff will be super low-manned. It's never to late to join the game..there will always be stuff to do..find a close nit group of friends and run a muck.
 Alexander.Temaruma
Server: Alexander
user: Temarumaz
By Alexander.Temaruma 2010-05-21 14:42:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Tousou said:
At this point in the game

<,< i just lost
 Phoenix.Degs
Server: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-05-21 14:46:33
Link | Quote | Reply

There are always new players coming into the game, and there are always veteran players raising new jobs.... Id have to say if you are going to come back, do it now, and dont leave again... cause once the cap gets raised to 99 and all the new content starts coming out, i feel it will be overwhelming for alot of new players. for people who have been playing and have 75 jobs, and also have prep'd for the updates by leveling subs and finishing older content, the new stuff wont be all that difficult to get on with
 Ramuh.Kalyna
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-05-21 14:48:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Temaruma said:
Ramuh.Tousou said:
At this point in the game
<,< i just lost
God damnit.
 Unicorn.Jewkitten
Server: Unicorn
user: Jewkitten
By Unicorn.Jewkitten 2010-05-21 14:49:55
Link | Quote | Reply

If I where you I would buy a "PL account" someone was selling (RDM75 on it, that's all) and make that your main. The RDM will give you something to farm/solo/endgame with while you can "start over" leveling all the other jobs on it.

But it really is all about making friends and being proactive. If your the type to make a pt rather than wait for one. And help others even though you need help. Then you'll make friends fast and get ***done.

But yes, the train of everyone needing the same things has departed. Have to make your own way now:p
[+]
 Asura.Meechia
By Asura.Meechia 2010-05-21 14:50:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry about the paragraphing......

If getting the rank that lets you get the airship pass is truly solable, then I wouldn't mind coming back to start leveling again.

I don't think I would mind if I never got to end game, just the playing/leveling/socializing would be fine if it wouldn't be too hard to get help getting the initial set of AF armor for the parts that aren't necessarily solable.

I have thought about getting FFXIV when it comes out - but in the meantime, just wanted to try my hand for the FOURTH time with FFXI.

Any ideas on jobs that could be solable? I remember BST used to be that way, and I have heard that BLM is nothing but a burn party with other BLMS all the way to 75.
 Asura.Meechia
By Asura.Meechia 2010-05-21 14:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

And on a few notes -

Trying to get into a LS? I was generally told I was "too low" by too many to name. When I finally did get into one or two, was told by some "not to beg or expect any help".

And trying to start a party? Back in the day, it was easy. Now when I tried to do it, was told "don't cold invite people into a party you haven't started." Which is how we used to sort of do it, building on a doable party. Plus, with all the changes, other than the Dunes haven't wanted to start a party because the leveling places have changed.

But I may consider purchasing a character - hate to do it, but if I could get one that is decent, I could always build from there. Any ideas where to look??

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Darki
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-21 14:59:22
Link | Quote | Reply

just buy an account that is basicly at where you left off... if you just want to continue gaming that is, otherwise level 1 would be very difficult.
 Asura.Meechia
By Asura.Meechia 2010-05-21 15:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Well actually, didn't realize accounts sold for thousands, so I think I will pass on that idea.

I see in game that you can pay to get PL'ed, supposedly by the same token, you can pay to get assistance getting help.
 Diabolos.Ghlin
Server: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-05-21 15:06:47
Link | Quote | Reply

"If getting the rank that lets you get the airship pass is truly solable, then I wouldn't mind coming back to start leveling again. "

Dude that can be soloable... well you need help w/ the Rank 3 dragon, but that's easy...

Anyways come to Diabolos and hit me up. I help new players all the time. I actually have a friend of a friend (brother's girlfriend) joining the game soon. So we're actually all deciding on jobs to play for that static. So yeah, if you decide to play, come to Diabolos and I'll help you out whenever.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-21 15:07:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Meechia said:
Well actually, didn't realize accounts sold for thousands, so I think I will pass on that idea.

I see in game that you can pay to get PL'ed, supposedly by the same token, you can pay to get assistance getting help.

don't need PL's .. level a job to 12, lfp on dunes... oh btw, traveling is difficult since your 1 and basicly have nothing and no subjob...

yeah your better off trying to find an account, atleast cheap.
By Helix 2010-05-21 15:08:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I have an idea concerning this....I know, it prob won't be widely accepted..but..meh...it's just an idea.

How about making the "storyline" itself soloable? I mean...Nation of origin missions, roz, cop, etc. ...Soloable at 75. If you in a hurry, then sure, you need a pt to do them...but, if you patient, then I think you should be able to play out the story solo at 75...maybe even need to be merited...I can appreciate the frustration of trying to do old content...folks are like "geesh...I've done that mission 37 times"...so it is hard to put a group together to help.

HNM's, VNM's, BCNM's etc should be as they have always been since they really aren't part of the "story" proper...they are means to gear and such that makes the story easier/more interesting...but not necessary for completion. Just an idea.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Meechia
By Asura.Meechia 2010-05-21 15:12:07
Link | Quote | Reply

So far I have played on Alexander, which is where I started, and the last 2 attempts were on Asura. But Ghlin, I ordered the game and hope to get it in the mail in the next few weeks. Hopefully, I can reactive my PC account through Xbox!!! If not, I'll restart on Diabolos and see if I can connect with you there!

Thanks a ton!

And actually Jewkitten, the first time around I did help the lower levels out, but it's tough being on the receiving end and having to ask. Back then also, everyone was starting out from the ground up, so help was indeed around all the time.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-21 15:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
PL isn't easy to get, unless you have a shitload of gil which mind you, if you do have that much gil at such a low lvl then you're obviously buying gil (or so it is believed).

TBH though I don't support RMT but if you just want to buy an account to have some fun in game again and cure some boredom then go to the website and find one that isn't so expensive.

You can find a decent one for like pretty cheap nowadays.

yep. and if you want PL all times you would have to get a girl really in love with you or something like that?

Post deleted by User.
 Diabolos.Ghlin
Server: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-05-21 15:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Meechia said:
So far I have played on Alexander, which is where I started, and the last 2 attempts were on Asura. But Ghlin, I ordered the game and hope to get it in the mail in the next few weeks. Hopefully, I can reactive my PC account through Xbox!!! If not, I'll restart on Diabolos and see if I can connect with you there!

Thanks a ton!

And actually Jewkitten, the first time around I did help the lower levels out, but it's tough being on the receiving end and having to ask. Back then also, everyone was starting out from the ground up, so help was indeed around all the time.

for sure dude.
 Asura.Meechia
By Asura.Meechia 2010-05-21 15:17:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not looking for a sugar daddy - I just want to get back into the game and play it and enjoy it.

Like I said, if I can solo Mission 5 or 6 (I think) and get the airship pass, then it will be good. If not, I guess if my account gets reactivated, I'll just ask for help. After that, it's going to be time to get back into the grind.

Asura.Meechia
By Asura.Meechia 2010-05-21 15:20:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Helix said:
I have an idea concerning this....I know, it prob won't be widely accepted..but..meh...it's just an idea. How about making the "storyline" itself soloable? I mean...Nation of origin missions, roz, cop, etc. ...Soloable at 75. If you in a hurry, then sure, you need a pt to do them...but, if you patient, then I think you should be able to play out the story solo at 75...maybe even need to be merited...I can appreciate the frustration of trying to do old content...folks are like "geesh...I've done that mission 37 times"...so it is hard to put a group together to help. HNM's, VNM's, BCNM's etc should be as they have always been since they really aren't part of the "story" proper...they are means to gear and such that makes the story easier/more interesting...but not necessary for completion. Just an idea.

I didn't realize just playing the story line made the game solable?
First Page 2 3 4