New Fomor Weapons
First Page 2 3
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-12 05:19:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been debating sharing what I know about these, as too much info leads to high competition, which is bad when it's something you want. However, after doing some testing/research/exploration, I've come to the realisation that I simply don't have the man-power to do what needs to be done, so hopefully by doing my part to share the knowledge, anyone on Odin that benefits from it will let me join in hopes of getting a couple of drops. So here goes:

There are 5 new weapons with this update that have quite high base damage, and provided that they can be augmented in some fashion, could very well be some of the best weapons in the game.

In order to get these weapons, you need to kill a new fomor HNM for the corresponding damaged weapon, and then go through an unknown process to upgrade it into the final weapon.

As people provide information about these weapons and NMs, I will update this post to reflect the new information.

NM characteristics:
  • Blu/blm

• Has strong regen

• Resistant to magic (could vary resistance between NMs, Lugh is resistant to magic while Elatha reportedly absorbs physical damage, with ranged attacks being more effective)

• Has access to most (if not all) weapon skills for their specific weapon

• Casts TIV, gaIII, AM, enfeebling and blue magic (not physical) of corresponding element

• Has innate spikes effect (not sure what Ethniu and Tethra have) of corresponding element

• Has innate enspell effect of corresponding element

• Physical hits can have additional status effect (Lugh has plague, so I'm assuming Thethra=Petrification, Buarainech=stun, Elatha=paralyze, Ethniu=poison or gravity perhaps)

• Uses draw-in on anyone in alliance who gets out of range

• Retaliates to magic with a TIV nuke of corresponding element

• Randomly(?) levels up throughout the fight (Level up animation is shown)

• Uses 2-hour (Azure Lore?) multiple times at low %, spams draw-in and intimidates players

• Aside from damaged weapon and one rare/ex piece of equipment, NM's drop some of the following items:Wolfram Steel Ingot, Scintillant Ingot, Orichalcum Ingot, Cobalt Ore

Name Race Area Element Damaged Weapon Complete Weapon Equipment Drop
Buarainech Elvaan Garbage Shitadel_S: Map 3 H7 Thunder Blunt Lance Sarissa Shrewd Pumps
Elatha Galka Garbage Shitadel_S: Map 2 F9 Ice Dull Claymore Galatyn Bricta's Cuffs
Ethniu Mithra The Eldieme Necropolis_S: Map 2 K/L7 Wind or Water (unknown) Edgeless Knife Machismo Unknown
Lugh Hume Crawlers Nest_S: Map 2 E7 Fire Chipped Scimitar Concordia Setanta's Led.
Tethra Tarutaru The Eldieme Necropolis_S: Map 2 K11/12 Earth Cracked Staff Majestas Unknown
[+]
By Eole 2009-11-12 05:24:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-12 05:45:04
Link | Quote | Reply

No problem, I'm hoping people will respond here with what they know of them as well, including how to actually upgrade the weapons when that knowledge becomes available (it wouldn't surprise me if it's not yet possible).

People that edit wiki give me the shits big time, so I've decided I'm not going to partake in their ***. The Ethniu and Tethra pages don't exist yet but I've linked them to where they will be when they do, aside from that, I'm aiming to make this thread a fully comprehensive guide to these NM's, without ever touching the wiki.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-11-12 07:11:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I love how the pictures of the NM on wiki have tons of dead people in them.
These Fomors look like serious business.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-12 08:08:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Well they're certainly not push-overs, I've only fought Lugh (aside from running up to Tethra on 70 rdm to see if it was true sight/sound... it is) and it kicked my ***, twice. First time I figured since it's in a room with 14 dc crawlers that bsts would be a good idea, started out with 2-hour scorps from near the exit (still only dc) and he killed all three in about a minute. This was of course, before I knew nothing more about the NM than that it drops the sword and shoes. Today I decided to do a sacrificial research run on it, and got some friends together to see how it really works.

The party was pld/nin rdm whm brd blu/thf. Pld started out with 1700+HP 300tp spirits within for like, 40 damage, I used TA Disseverement for about the same damage, then expiacion > CASA Vertical cleave. Excpiacion did about 30 damage, Vertical Cleave did ~340 (usually does about 6-700 at minimum on kirin). The one good thing I learnt from that though is that his HP dropped from 99% to 97%, so at a bare minimum that was 1.1% of his HP, meaning he has an absolute max of 30k HP, minimum of 15K, but most likely somewhere in the middle at 20-25k. However, with my strongest spell only doing such piddly damage, magic doing nothing worthwhile, there's still the question of how do we actually get through that 25k?

Well after the fight I read about the TIV retaliation, and heard a rumour or hate shifting when flash was used (didn't notice it during the fight, but the pld couldn't keep hate for ***, and he's about as close to a perfect pld as you can get sans aegis). This leads me to believe that there is something we did though to cause a hate reset, although the two times I pulled hate were both immediately after SA Vertical Cleave.

So without giving a thought to different damage types, we tested magic (useless) piercing (hard to say, I probably just missed most hits), slashing (340 with CASA? useless) and blunt (head butt struggled to do more than 0, so, probably useless). That just leaves ranged attacks, MAYBE piercing and MAYBE slashing.

I'm not sure just how strong the regen actually is, perhaps going up 1% in 30 seconds to a minute, while no real damage was being done to it, I really couldn't say. I think though that the random (possibly triggered by something, I couldn't tell) levelling up the mob does will prove to be a bigger issue, as even though he doesn't regain HP when he does it, it's obviously going to be raising all his stats each time.

</rant>
 Fairy.Fyrestorm
Server: Fairy
user: Fyrestorm
By Fairy.Fyrestorm 2009-11-12 08:25:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Just aggrod the galka fomor as RNG75/BLM37 naked. Crits for 500+ normal hits for 300 and 100 added ice effect. Opened with bliz 4. Can't run them out of their pop rooms otherwise it'll draw in the entire ally. Seems like a fun fight and can't wait to get my ls down there to try them out.

The galka pops in a room with two level 65 bombs and the elvaan which pops just down the hall pops in a room with 2-3 level 70 scorps.
By Mikumaru 2009-11-12 08:37:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Not to stuff up the page with silly baseless theories but all 5 races are covered maybe that has something to do with the DMG they take . If the Galkan only take DMG from Ranged weapons perhaps the Taru only takes Physical melee . While all those weapons seem to be impressive , i have to question the Staff . i mean even the Lv51 Elemental NQ staves Out damage it . perhaps these are another quest line similar to Mythics to 'awaken' them to thier full potential . It could just be another instance where square doesnt want us goin there and Low Manning it . They have said that ZNM and ANNM are activies that require the largest group possible in most instances . Could easily require 18+ ppl to take them down . imagine what it might take to Awaken the weapon , if thats the case . heh .
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-11-12 08:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Since these are considered HNMs, do they have like 2~3 day respawns? Or are people fighting these more than once a day?
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-12 08:44:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I want the polearm, it looks amazing in AltanaViewer.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-12 09:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Mikumaru, baseless theories are totally welcome, I'm just not going to edit my OP until they're based on something :p However if what wiki says about the galka absorbing physical damage then it's most probably true. I also have to agree with you on the staff questions, they've got 4 really good damage weapons (dagger is ok), and then a lolstaff. Sure the staff has good damage, but who melees with a staff? And yes, I can't see these being beat by much less than a well equipped full alliance, however some appear to have already been beaten, so considering they've been out for less than a week they can't be anything too strenuous for any HNM shell.
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Since these are considered HNMs, do they have like 2~3 day respawns? Or are people fighting these more than once a day?
I depopped Lugh yesterday and it was up today, I think I worked out ~14 hours in between. It's now been about 10 hours since I depopped it today and it's not up, so either there's a large window, or it's ~12 hours. (assuming no-one has agro'd it since I depopped it)

One thing I forgot to mention is that all debuffs landed easily, except for para. Considering it does nothing that's not fire based, that's no surprise. From memory we did: slow II, elegy, stinking gas, poison. Didn't try silence, but I have a strong suspicion it won't land :p
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-11-12 09:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

those guys look like serious business, especially that first one with the dead bodies. I see no knuckles, that sucks.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-11-12 09:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza and I should get together and make a FFXIAH.com wiki on this site CONSISTING COMPLETELY OF BBCODE TABLES OF AWESOME.

I likee. :D Adding this :) er... once I finish the biochem homework I completely forgot about last night....
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-11-12 09:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahh, by the way--minor error, just being nit-picky ;) It's Garlaige Citadel, not Garliage~
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-11-12 09:33:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Ahh, by the way--minor error, just being nit-picky ;) It's Garlic Citadel, not Garliage~

fixed
 Odin.Aramina
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-11-12 10:07:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't it Garbage Shitadel?
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-11-12 10:07:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone on Ramuh interested in doing these let me know, I'd do anything for that GS, so I'll be looking at getting things organised with enough interest.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-11-12 10:11:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like something you'd want to bring up in an endgame linkshell.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-12 10:13:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm willing to bet there will be a Relic/Mythic-esque quest to go along with these, as they only drop the 1-DMG versions.

Don't expect such good weapons to just be like traded to an NPC to get.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-12 10:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems I could be quite wrong about the respawn, I just checked on them all and none are up, but there was a JP LS at the last one just getting ready to leave. No idea if they won or not, but there's a fair chance they attempted any and all that were up. I stupidly didn't even think to type /sea to see what jobs there were, but there were only about 15 people, but seeing as I missed the fight that really doesn't tell me anything :/
 Alexander.Kuraneko
Server: Alexander
user: Kuraneko
By Alexander.Kuraneko 2009-11-13 13:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Got a few people in my ls to try Lugh last night. (~11, it did not go well >.> )

My theory is the leveling up isn't random. He appeared to level up everytime someone in the Alliance died. My fiance pointed it out to me after the third death that it had leveled up 3 times.
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2009-11-13 13:43:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow these are no joke. If anything I'd try my hand out on the Concordia. That's awesome. Thanks for the info.
 Ifrit.Contra
user: Contra
By Ifrit.Contra 2009-11-13 14:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

We managed to hold off the elvaan for about 20 mins, tank pRTY WAS; rdm,rdm,smn,pld,pld,brd. we experimented damages, we couldnt find anyything that did significant ammounts of damagge except random unresisted elemental seal AM2's which only did abbout 400, same with predator claws, anyone. We think that it might have something to do with the game days. both opposite and same as the day seem to get less resisted. Thunder isnt a good spell to cast on it
 Fairy.Akiba
Server: Fairy
user: Akiba
By Fairy.Akiba 2009-11-13 14:34:06
Link | Quote | Reply

random thought. Has anyone tried WS that correspond with the Day?
 Asura.Endelig
Server: Asura
user: endelig
By Asura.Endelig 2009-11-13 14:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The real question is: Does KC DRK work on them?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Renoturk
Server: Carbuncle
user: Renoturk
By Carbuncle.Renoturk 2009-11-13 20:38:07
Link | Quote | Reply

My ls just killed the galka and the elvaan in the citadel. It takes a full alliance of people unless you know what to do. Need to have the strategy down to a point. We got 2x Wolfram Steel Ignots from the galka, and 2 Wolframsteek Ingots a Cobalt Ore and the boots from the Elvaan. We killed both with around 14 people.
 Bahamut.Fyyvoaa
Server: Bahamut
user: Fyyvoaa
By Bahamut.Fyyvoaa 2009-11-13 20:40:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The question i'm wondering... when it does this "Level up" does it restore HP/MP(obviously can't see their MP pool though) and make it stronger?

Ramuh.Sagittario
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-11-13 20:40:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lilsanchez said:
Wow these are no joke. If anything I'd try my hand out on the Concordia. That's awesome. Thanks for the info.

Not without me you won't :P
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-13 20:50:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Ramuh.Lilsanchez said:
Not without me you won't :P
Or me!?!
 Carbuncle.Renoturk
Server: Carbuncle
user: Renoturk
By Carbuncle.Renoturk 2009-11-13 21:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

When it levels up it does not restore any HP/MP.
First Page 2 3