Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » New moon/ Full moon
New moon/ Full moon
First Page 2 3
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-09-09 13:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I have been told both are good for the same things, meaning someone or the other is wrong. people have told me new moon is good for skillup/hq and some say its fullmoon, i always thought it was fullmoon and im not hqing beeswax and im 88 alchemy, i check moonphase and its 0%..

I also just spend alot of money on materials to skill up on, so if it is fullmoon for hq i may wait a while rather than do it on 0%

Any sugestions/opinions/facts would be helpful, thanks!
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-09 13:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I've generally heard new moon for HQ... no HQing at all though? That much higher you should get some regardless
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-09-09 13:53:11
Link | Quote | Reply

a couple, but only for 2 beeswax and i was going 3 or 4 synths without any hq, oddly little compared to normal, thanks for some backup suggestionage though, and when u say hq do u mean skillups too? (as thats what im after)
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-09 13:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure as far as skillups I always just use http://ffxi.lokyst.net/timer/crafttimer.html
It works pretty good

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-09-09 14:29:24
Link | Quote | Reply

well, so far its new moon 1, fullmoon 1.

Another question i pose, is if you spent 200k+ on some mats to synth for skillups when would you choose to synth it if u could choose any moon/day.

ussually i would go for the day of the crystals weakness, fullmoon and the crystals weakness again for direction. Ive always heard that skillups and hq are at the same times and the other opposite is for success
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-09-09 14:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't pay attention to directions anymore. Since then I haven't noticed any decrease in my synths. Same for moon phase.

(99 cooking, 66 alchemy, ~40 woodworking, ~20 goldsmithing are highest crafts)
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-09 14:40:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I refer again to the site I posted. Using those directions and days and such I've notice big changes in skillup rate. And I've done a bit of synthing lately. Like bone to 100 leather to 60 and alchemy 53 now in about 1 month time
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-09-09 14:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

that site you linked is really good, but it didnt say which times help skill ups, just how often breaks are at certain times (unless im missing something)
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-09 14:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Minusseven said:
that site you linked is really good, but it didnt say which times help skill ups, just how often breaks are at certain times (unless im missing something)

Click the numbers and it will give you an explanations. As far as trying not to break and optimum skillups I find somewhere around 2.5-3.5 to be the best if you can do it. Which as long as your not going like 7 lvls out or only 1 on lightsday you should be fine
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-09 14:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

It also has some other cool functions like finding the next XXXday with whatever moonphase to help plan things out.
Server: Odin
By Odin.Equivocator 2009-09-09 22:55:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people have thought that it's broken down even further into Crystal types for the different moon phase. I.e. to HQ on a 'Dark' Crystal (think spells that MB off Darkness SkillChain) you craft full moon. New moon for 'Light' crystals.

Me? I'm not going to wake up at some wierd *** time to screw around with crafting, I craft whenever and hope for the best. The impact is minimal at best (if it is even there)
[+]
 Asura.Deodate
Server: Asura
user: deodate
By Asura.Deodate 2009-09-09 23:50:27
Link | Quote | Reply

This just in!

It's random!

This news flash brought to you by the Department of Yesterday's News.

If you want me to feign interest in this old topic: most people have thought, as stated above, new moon is better for hq, but high fail rates. Full moon better for skillups/success. But it's all just theory, and not substantiated. Some people will have a stretch that supports whatever theory they believe, and think that constitutes proof. Many have come to the realization, also noted above, that direction and moon phase don't really have any effect on success or HQ rate.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-09-10 06:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Deodate said:
This just in!

It's random!

I would love to agree, but ive noticed the difference, sometimes it seems really major. Even if thats just my mind i wouldnt like to take chances at the high lvl im at with the money loss involved
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-09-10 07:00:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Well its almost about 50% moon, and id rather not fail them all anyway so maybe ill get a good mix of money back and skill ups
 Asura.Deodate
By Asura.Deodate 2009-09-10 10:25:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
I've generally heard new moon for HQ... no HQing at all though? That much higher you should get some regardless

1 for New Moon

Shinbi said:
best time to HQ i hear is during darksday and/or on a new moon. skill ups are best during full moon and/or on lightsday or the day of the element of the crystal you're synthesizing with.

2 for new moon

Minusseven said:
well, so far its new moon 1, fullmoon 1.

^ wrong ^

Following that were 2 indifferents, but based on the information I have heard, new moon is better for HQ. so you can make it 2.5 to zero FOR new moon being the HQ moon. This however, disproves what you have encountered, which supports my belief that it is, in fact, random. If you've noticed a personal difference, then go w/ that, but I believe from a programming standpoint on SE's part, HQ rate is not affected by moon phase (and if it is, New moon seems to be the unanimous winner of increased HQs in this poll so far -- or 1 against New moon including your vote).
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-09-10 10:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
I've generally heard new moon for HQ...

Shinbi said:
best time to HQ i hear is during darksday and/or on a new moon.

Deodate said:
based on the information I have heard, new moon is better for HQ.

Can we get a link to some real testing that has been done on this? I could tell you full moon is better for HQ and then you would have heard that also.

I hate this superstition bs that crafting is. Everyone has their own method and no real solid testing to back it up. None.

If you were to test if a new moon was better for crafting, you'd have to exclude all other variables:
Day of the week
Night/Day
Weather
Direction
Element of the synth
Level above/below cap

and then perform 1000 synths in the exact same conditions. And a further 1000 in full moon under the same exact conditions.

Until I see real testing on this I call BS.
[+]
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-09-10 11:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

i seem to craft pot au feu better during light rather than dark.

i have 109 cooking and i break more often and cant even get a whole stack of HQ on dark. however, on lights day i break less and can get a whole stack of HQ.

this was with about 10 stacks of ingredients. i know it's not a huge number and could potentially be just bad luck, but after farming 60 femurs...i err on the side on caution.

as far as moons go i don't really pay much attention (unless i am fishing). it doesn't seem to be that significant of a difference imo.
 Asura.Deodate
By Asura.Deodate 2009-09-10 11:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Deodate said:
This just in!

It's random!

This news flash brought to you by the Department of Yesterday's News.

If you want me to feign interest in this old topic: most people have thought, as stated above, new moon is better for hq, but high fail rates. Full moon better for skillups/success. But it's all just theory, and not substantiated. Some people will have a stretch that supports whatever theory they believe, and think that constitutes proof. Many have come to the realization, also noted above, that direction and moon phase don't really have any effect on success or HQ rate.

@ Hypnotizd. I don't have any links or testing on the new moon = HQ, mainly b/c I don't believe or support it so I haven't looked for any. There's a lengthy post in the crafting forum on BG which I'm not inclined to look for which basically states the only determining factor in success/HQ is skill lvl over cap, and things like direction, moon phase, etc show no evidence of having any effect on HQ.

I'm w/ you though. I'm calling BS on it. I don't prescribe to the belief either. But the generally accepted theory for those who do support moon phase effect on crafting, I've heard New = HQ. No facts or links tho, just hearsay.
[+]
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-09-10 11:28:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Deodate said:
I'm calling BS on it. I don't prescribe to the belief either. But the generally accepted theory for those who do support moon phase effect on crafting, I've heard New = HQ. No facts or links tho, just hearsay.

I just wish more people would clearly state that direction, moon phase, day of the week, night / day, barspells, enspells, elemental staves, weather, cloister's, hopping on one foot, zoning, whatever else is only a placebo. It hasn't been tested; no one knows for sure.

It annoys me when someone asks a crafting question and then someone else tells them to do it a specific way like its gospel. /endrant
[+]
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2009-09-10 11:29:58
Link | Quote | Reply

lol @ elemental staves. should have a sch cast the weather on you too hehehe.
 Asura.Deodate
By Asura.Deodate 2009-09-10 11:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I've known people (many years ago at this point) who would craft in Dynamis cuz they thought the double dark weather would help w/ HQ. Imo, it's random, but if you find something that works for you, go for it. But no one has found a concrete method that works universally for everyone. It's not that simple and if there are any "hidden" benefits by facing this way or that, using this crystal on that day, crafting on this moon or that one... if anything like that exists, the bonuses are very minimal (so much so as to appear non-existent).
[+]
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-09-13 14:00:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't craft on any certain moonphase and honestly i don't even pay attention to it unless i'm like wow look at this 3 tier 1's in a row! or wow look at this a 30mil body i HQ'd!

Then i check it and i'll try again on same day/moon next time for utter fail results, it is just random. If it wasn't random then why is it that all moon phases have made me big money?

Especially 80%ish waxing or waning this moon phase has probably net me the vast majority of the gil i've made kaiser body, shield, head, and several of the kaiser legs i've synthed came from this phase, and yet everyone screams about new and full moon as if they are something special.
 Carbuncle.Cianti
Server: Carbuncle
user: Cianti
By Carbuncle.Cianti 2009-09-14 17:09:11
Link | Quote | Reply

My advice is do what your heart feels. Although I have a corner I craft where I got my first HQ.. so I always craft there now.
 Unicorn.Motokosun
user: mattchew
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-09-14 18:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

ive read just about every good and rediculous crafting post i could find in the last 5 years and heres how i craft-

I get my mats and face any direction and go! only thing i go off of is day of the week. and im slowly leaning away from even careing about days.

Now for me this has worked the best, i use to do the moonphase but i no longer care what moon it is. The Consensus is New moon = Skills+HQ+increase break/loss rate, Full moon = Success/decreased loss rate.

Take this as you may but my HQ rate is almost the same as when i followed the "rules", except now i waste alot less time waiting for the "perfect time"

GL to you and your crafts.
[+]
 Unicorn.Mattchew
user: mattchew
By Unicorn.Mattchew 2009-09-14 18:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Minusseven said:
a couple, but only for 2 beeswax and i was going 3 or 4 synths without any hq, oddly little compared to normal, thanks for some backup suggestionage though, and when u say hq do u mean skillups too? (as thats what im after)

But for skills i would suggest new moon, and day of week strong to what crystal your using AND darksdsy always produced good skills for me.
 Unicorn.Rufio
user: Nesaki
By Unicorn.Rufio 2009-09-14 19:22:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I know that New moon decreases skill up rates and Full Moon increases rates.

BUT, in Rabao (for whatever reason) New moon skill ups are increased and Full moon skill ups are decreased
 Unicorn.Smurfo
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-09-15 01:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Rufio said:
I know that New moon decreases skill up rates and Full Moon increases rates.

BUT, in Rabao (for whatever reason) New moon skill ups are increased and Full moon skill ups are decreased

I have never observed this, if anything I noticed the same possibly above average skillups during both moons.
[+]
 Fairy.Glasseye
Server: Fairy
user: glasseye
By Fairy.Glasseye 2009-09-15 04:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

heres my crafts
glasseye:
woodworking 59
smithing 24
goldsmithing 50
clothcraft 22
leathercraft 61
bonecraft 99
alchemy 52

glasseyes:
smithing 59
bonecraft 7
woodworking 4

glasspack:
woodworking 93+1
smithing 28
goldsmithing 6
clothcraft 6
leathercraft 7
bonecraft 53
alchemy 31

glassmen:
smithing 14
alchemy 86

glassman:
clothcraft 87
woodworking 1
leathercraft 2

i face no direction for skill or hq anymore i read all the guides and checked out all the crafing timers its human nature to see patterns that are not there. just because someone made a mathmatical formula saying this is the way it works doesnt mean it's right. do you own test see what works for you but the outcome will be like most high lvl crafter's get mats synth ohh look HQ. skill up's ifs mats cheap I get 100 synths and do 10 lvls little over a hour im done. some ppl are luckier then other's. like cianti said you do what you feel is right. with the crafts i have i only desynth anymore trying to HQ something isnt worth it unless its for personal satafaciton youll lose moeny in the long run. but then i havent started my goldsmithing mule yet either GL in your crafting career
[+]
Server: Odin
user: sk84fo0d
By Odin.Stonedsophist 2009-09-15 08:40:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I always got the best skillups on lightsday full moon. Also at level 98 I got a skillup and hq on 99 synth al zhabi sash full moon lightsday facing south, in al zhabi with wind weather. It may be superstition but I wear austers staff when I synth earth crystals. I sometimes wait for wind weather also, as earth is weak to wind. As for hq synthing, darksday new moon is usually best but I have seen similar results on other moon phases and days. On a windsday wx cres wind weather facing se I went 3/12 prism capes so I dunno what to say about that... I do think weather plays a role but on a very small scale, like maybe a .05% increase or decrease depending on weather/ crystal combination, same with gear. If it does anything the effects would be in the decimal scale but ill take what I can get!
First Page 2 3