New moon/ Full moon
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-09-22 15:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Aramina said:
The biggest failure of most of the "scientific" studies of these things are the relatively small sample sizes, and the inability to control other variables.

When someone tells me that they have a sample size of 100 synths and the deviation is something like 5%, that is not STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT, and that would be under the assumption that all other possible variables have been isolated except the one being tested.

I'll quote myself from Page 1.
Hypnotizd said:
If you were to test if a new moon was better for crafting, you'd have to exclude all other variables:
Day of the week
Night/Day
Weather
Direction
Element of the synth
Level above/below cap

and then perform 1000 synths in the exact same conditions. And a further 1000 in full moon under the same exact conditions.

Until I see real testing on this I call BS.

If that wasn't clear this means you have to perform your 1000 exact same synths (preferably a Tier 1 or Tier 2) on iceday*, during new moon, without any weather, facing the same direction every time. Only then would you have valid data that shows without any doubt which one is better.

If you were to test that the day of the week influenced it the test would be similar except you would always have to craft during full moon or new moon for all 1000 synths per vana day.

*iceday could be any day as long as its always the same day, I just used that as an example.
[+]
 Titan.Aonen
Server: Titan
user: Aonen
By Titan.Aonen 2009-09-22 15:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Khorbin said:
Aonen said:
btw as far as EC's work on skill ups, umm there is nothing scientific that can be proven here. This game is evolving with every update, you do not have the same game you did 4 years ago, you would need to do that study all over again, and btw, you would have to factor in any possible element that would or could change the study, for example the gear your wearing, time of day, zone your in, weather in that zone... so on.. anything that could be considered to change the hypothesis, so Ec's studys doesn't prove HQ on just moon phases due to inconclusiveness... "Question answered. With (out) Science. Next question."

Aonen, your argument is equivalent to saying that all science is invalid because God (or the universe, whichever you prefer) can "change the rules," so to speak, at any time. Descartes wrote about similar topics in his philosophical work re: what we can truly "know." It's not that the argument is without merit; it's that if that were true, we couldn't "know" anything. In the end, we are left with what we can observe scientifically, both in the real world and in this game. In order to "know" anything about how the crafting system works, we must assume that they system has not changed until we find evidence to the contrary. As far as I've seen, nobody has released any data to contradict the study that I previously posted.

I think your missing my point. I am not saying that its not a theory, I am saying there is nothing that says its fact... big difference..
 Midgardsormr.Khorbin
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Khorbin
By Midgardsormr.Khorbin 2009-09-22 17:10:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Aonen said:
Khorbin said:
Aonen said:
btw as far as EC's work on skill ups, umm there is nothing scientific that can be proven here. This game is evolving with every update, you do not have the same game you did 4 years ago, you would need to do that study all over again, and btw, you would have to factor in any possible element that would or could change the study, for example the gear your wearing, time of day, zone your in, weather in that zone... so on.. anything that could be considered to change the hypothesis, so Ec's studys doesn't prove HQ on just moon phases due to inconclusiveness... "Question answered. With (out) Science. Next question."

Aonen, your argument is equivalent to saying that all science is invalid because God (or the universe, whichever you prefer) can "change the rules," so to speak, at any time. Descartes wrote about similar topics in his philosophical work re: what we can truly "know." It's not that the argument is without merit; it's that if that were true, we couldn't "know" anything. In the end, we are left with what we can observe scientifically, both in the real world and in this game. In order to "know" anything about how the crafting system works, we must assume that they system has not changed until we find evidence to the contrary. As far as I've seen, nobody has released any data to contradict the study that I previously posted.

I think your missing my point. I am not saying that its not a theory, I am saying there is nothing that says its fact... big difference..

And I think you missed my point. I'm saying that if you can't accept such evidence on the basis that "things might have changed" then you can never accept ANY "fact" in the game.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-10-02 03:07:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Phalon said:
Gonna chime in here as far as direction is concerned:

Ive done bonecraft to 100 leathercraft to 60 and goldsmithing to 52 so far.

Ive always tried to skill up while crafting 8+ levels above my current cap.

Now when I blow through 4-5 stacks of mats not caring about profit just straight skill ups I find that direction does come into play.

When I use 2 stacks in 1 direction and not only cant make 1 damn synth without failing, and I turn into the crystal's direction and now nothing is breaking its painfully obvious that direction accounts for SOMETHING.

Be it skill or resist rate or whatever is still up for debate, but direction helps.

I usually find that standing into the direction of the day of the week if its light or dark day helps with a same day crystal (darkday for dark based crystals etc)

8+ under cap will generally give you a fairly massive break rate of course you could be +6 but thats still a fair gamble on gil at a veteran level of craft, so you blow up a stack of mats then change direction and think that fixes it because you averaged out?

I think i pretty much said what the other person who quoted you said... just with alot less words, breaks and hq also do tend to come in spurts.

It wouldnt suprise me if you blew up 12 in a row then synthed the majority of another 12 without a break. Its just how the game is.

Stop giving credit to something factor of crafting which you have no data to back.

It's one of the silliest craft theory anyway, it amazes me so many swear by it.

I mean I pretty much just craft whenever i don't have 80/80 inventory and it yields decent hq everytime, maybe thats the key!
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-02 05:03:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Minusseven said:
I have been told both are good for the same things, meaning someone or the other is wrong. people have told me new moon is good for skillup/hq and some say its fullmoon, i always thought it was fullmoon and im not hqing beeswax and im 88 alchemy, i check moonphase and its 0%..

I also just spend alot of money on materials to skill up on, so if it is fullmoon for hq i may wait a while rather than do it on 0%

Any sugestions/opinions/facts would be helpful, thanks!

I had this problem before when I needed Steel Ingots. I ended up going 3/56 on HQ on 0% newmoon darksday. Considering this is considered the best time to synth for HQs, I was a little shocked (and annoyed.)

I would, however, say it's just exceptionally bad luck. It has only happened once. Other new moons I have HQ'd dozens in a row. It just seems you and I fell victim to some very ill luck.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-10-08 05:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

you were annoyed that your ingots didn't HQ? am i missing something here? or did SE make an HQ on ingots actually mean something?
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-08 05:22:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Steel ingots has two recipes (and some variants). One requires 4 iron sand which don't stack, sell for stupid prices from npcs and never sell on AH, the other is HQ of Iron ingot, so anyone ~70+ smithing should be able to go around 50% HQ rate on them.

Stupid thing is that they're selling for about the same price as Iron ingots atm Odin, so it's not even worth making them yourself (Iron ingots used to be break even with Steel ingots being ~10k a stack more).
 Fairy.Kerfuffle
Server: Fairy
user: Kerfuffle
By Fairy.Kerfuffle 2009-11-05 09:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok really it all depends. After crafting leather ***for like 5 years and marking down days and moons with good hq rates I've decided there has to be some hidden cycle we don't see. I used to craft amemet mantles constantly and would mark down times and moon phases. Often I'd have something like 6/8 or 5/5 or some ***on a newmoon 7% wind day at 4:00. I say time of day important to because often i'll be hqin at a crazy rate and then it hits some hr like 12:00 or 18:00 and I'll get nothing but nqs. Anyways so I'd wait for the next nm windday 7% at the exact same time and end up geting no hqs or very low. Buttttt a few nm 7% winday later I'll get a crazy hq rate again. I've found that with all kinds of days with all synths and not just on NM and FMs.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [74 days between previous and next post]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Nevill
Server: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2010-01-18 19:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

We are all at the fate of the random number generator..
By slipispsycho 2010-01-24 01:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm reluctant to say I notice a difference since so many here are convinced there is no difference.. But, I do notice a substantial difference, and I've done alot of crafting in my time.. However my observations aren't the exact same as the theory..

First part is that the theory just says full moon, not the % of the full moon, however I get considerably more skill ups durring 100% full moon, then I do on 93% full moon... 98-100% the skill ups come often, 95% and below, I notice very little, if any, discernible difference then say, an 80% moon. So I do believe that moon phase does effect such things, but not in the way the current 'myth' states.

Second, with new moon phase, the opposite is NOT true.. In more way then one, the % of new moon appears to have no difference then another %.. 5% moon yields no more HQ's then 0%.. However, I do notice an increase in the tiers of of the HQ's, when I do get them. If on 50% moon I HQ'd 8 Tier 1 HQ's and 2 Tier 2, on new moon I'd experience something along the lines of 6 Tier 1's and 4 Tier 2's.

Third, (adding this in because someone else brought it up) I'm on the fence for which direction to stand, all the others are obviously not true (bar/en spells, ele staves, etc) But it does seem that that standing a certain direction for a desirable outcome actually works.. My philosophy on this one is, just do it. It's not going to take time away from your schedule to face a certain direction, and if it works, then the single second it took you to orientate yourself, payed off, and if it didn't work, what does it matter, you lost all of 1 second.

While I have spent considerable time crafting on more then one character, this is all still just my opinion based on my direct observation... I pay very close attention all of the elements involved in my crafting.. I write down every single .1 I get, and also take note of the crystals I've gone through and the materials I've gone through (which precisely tells me the number of synths, the number of fails versus the number of successes versus the number of HQ's, among other things) With as anal as I get about my crafting, it'd be pretty hard to claim I'm just seeing some placebo effect or experiencing the power of suggestion. The data isn't kept in my head, it's kept on a peice of paper and in my inventory. I've done enough synths to have a very large base on which to form my opinions on, it's not as if I've only done 2-300 synths..
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-01-24 01:57:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Please provide your data.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [422 days between previous and next post]
 Siren.Kogasho
Server: Siren
user: kogasho
By Siren.Kogasho 2011-03-22 10:14:52
Link | Quote | Reply

All I know is HQ for New Moon, Darks Day or Day opposite of crystal you tend to get more HQ. Full moon day of crystal you get better skill ups. while i was leveling cooking to 100 i did royal jellys to make cursed soup from 99-100 very close together synths so easy to make harder to skill up... well i went out on a limb and decided well im gonna craft on new moon an the day opposite of the crystal...if you look at the calculator. It states that when ya craft on a new moon it tends to make the synth harder so you have good chance to skill up on synths that are capped close together. I went from 99-100 in 1 session on New moon. Im not sure how this is relevant to the HQing or NQing but i see a lot of ppl say its better to skill up on full moon, it is true in my opinion, if your far away from the cap. Although if ya close to the cap of the item your crafting, craft on a new moon on the opposite day of the crystal. It will tend to skill you up.

My thoughts on HQ's - Darks Day New moon or opposite day of crystal.
Example Squid sushi requires Earth crystal, Craft on Darksday or Windsday. I tend to Hq 1 out of every 3 synths. Happy crafting
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [186 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2011-09-24 04:17:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Aramina said: »
As far as Moon Phases, my own feelings from Fishing are that New Moon is better for skillups, and Full Moon is better for bite rate. I once did 4 or 5 levels of skill in one New Moon while fishing. .

eyeballing is bad

I've done some statistics and seems that alot of so called advice is purely placebo effect or hardly worth the effort

my testing on moone phase is not done yet to little data yet
but so far its show nothing out of margin of error for bitrate during newmon/fullmoon for biterate

Other things to kill
knigthswell is NOT the best place to do carps for lu shang quest
its only around 50% biterate
you can get 75% in yohator jungle (moat50% + forest 25%)
severely cutting down time fishing for 200 carp on the day

biterate for carps are the same on little worms and insectball among other things. ppl keept saying you should use insect ball for carps.
it might isolate some fish. but it DOES NOT improve the carp biterate

i've done mostly statistics on fishing places with single fish and combo of fish type to see how i could optimize my "production"

juts because ppl have the skill done to 100 does not mean they have done any real data gathering on it and is just not eyeballing stuff

eyeballing is bad. its improve the placebo effect