Discussion about DD NIN
First Page 2
 Unicorn.Gunblade
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Koshin
By Unicorn.Gunblade 2008-12-15 18:37:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, ok, in few mins Ive posted this, Ive receieved messages rather than ppl posting on the board.
Its just a game, an im not afriad to play how I want so again:

I have a taru NIN as a second character. I dont want to pt this one as a tank. I want to make it a DD. Straight up.
If your afraid to have your name seen posting ideas on the thread, then ok, pm me on here with your ideas involving gear, subs, etc on how you would evolve you NIN into a DD over it being a tank.
Any ideas welcome, any discussion on it welcome.

Other than that, flames arent worth the space you waste sending me. Get over yourselves.
 Kujata.Jennypoo
Server: Kujata
user: xial
By Kujata.Jennypoo 2008-12-15 18:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Why does it have to be one or the other? Nin can tank -and- dd great. thats whats so nice about it ^.^; Easy invites for a Nin at Birds or Mamool :P
 Unicorn.Tavlov
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2008-12-15 19:11:49
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL hey gun! I always say play as you want to. With this particular idea you would have to get a pld in your pt tho. Good thing theres about 3 in our ls ^^
I say its very possible, but very expensive too. You are going to need throwing tools... Shurikens! GL
 Unicorn.Gunblade
By Unicorn.Gunblade 2008-12-15 19:12:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Because thats what I asked? lol Not being an arse or anything, but I asked for ideas on it, not answers to a question, with a question on why Im asking such a question. XD
Please guys. Im serious.
Forget about /war and drop me a line of what you'd do if you were a flat out dd NIN
 Unicorn.Gunblade
By Unicorn.Gunblade 2008-12-15 19:15:29
Link | Quote | Reply

TAV! XD
I was def thinking of shurkiens period for ammo XD
WS wise tho, I was kinda leaning towards /thf. I can stack most my WS's with SA
other than the lame ones nin have XD (elemental ones)
 Shiva.Vexarana
Server: Shiva
user: Vexarana
By Shiva.Vexarana 2008-12-15 19:35:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Wel if you go for Shreukin DD, /RNG is the way to go because of Ranged bonuses.

However /THF doesnt seem too bad, could also go /DNC and be a TP beast.
 Unicorn.Gunblade
By Unicorn.Gunblade 2008-12-15 19:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought about /rng. But then id prolly wanna go with other than shurks right, like sidewinder an such later?

I thought thf mainly cuz the ws'ing. Plus, would it work with tonko instead of hide to sa ta?
 Unicorn.Gunblade
By Unicorn.Gunblade 2008-12-15 20:22:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow guys^^ Alot of you PM'ed me, an thats ok.
Because you all have some awesome ideas about how to start! ^^
Feel free everyone to keep em all coming. I have over 80 pms to go thru atm
so sorry if it takes me time to get to all of it.
 Alexander.Neph
Server: Alexander
user: Neph
By Alexander.Neph 2008-12-15 21:13:55
Link | Quote | Reply

You'd need a SATA buddy if you want to be able to do SA+TA together. With /thf you can either SA+ws for the added damage, or TA+ws to just transfer the hate (no dmg spike since assassin trait is thf60). Also, tonko won't work as hide since it doesn't eliminate enmity.

Shuriken will be a powerful tool if you want to dd, but honestly I only used it at lower levels (yuht-yhoat jungles) so my throwing is way too underleveled to test myself.
 Remora.Dubont
Server: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2008-12-15 21:39:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I like to play nin as DD as well. Hard to get parties with meat shield no thanks in ur seacom buuut its fun none the less. That being said, i have Okote, emp hairpin, Sarutobi, Jujitsu gi and a ton of acc gear (including woodsman and PCC) for TPing then macroing in str or dex for ws like any other DD. THe only difference is with nin ur weapons are a bit weak so i like to find status changing weapons like ones that weaken def and such. I also sub thf from time to time for SAWS for more dmg. My subs for nin DD are /blm for nin spam /rng for shuriken spam /war or /thf for straight up weapon dmg
 Unicorn.Gunblade
By Unicorn.Gunblade 2008-12-15 21:56:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Cool. thnx for the info about tonko Neph^^ i asked quite a few on uni, an no one had any idea lol. Shurks are going to be the shoe-in for my ranged attk.

So im narrowing my current choice to /thf an /rng atm. and will most likely swap back an forth.

alot of the ppl who pmed me, said they always looked into /rng.
they listed the rundown of the nin/rng as:
-Main puller
-Spam Shurks
-Spam ele wheel: w/ele staves and int+ gear swaps
-listed ws'ing less using a ranged attk as "ws when ever rdy"

so more emphasis on the ranged attk an ele wheel as nin/rng an worry bout ws's last, does that sound bout right?
 Unicorn.Gunblade
By Unicorn.Gunblade 2008-12-15 21:58:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Plus just wanted to add guys:
The feed back is incredible. I thought everyone would have flamed me outta this forum. Thanks for being more supportive than negative^^

There is alot of ppl from what i see who wish to remain annonymous by pming me, but from the looks of it, there is ALOT of you who would like to try this style for nin.

GO FOR IT PPLZ! ^^
 Quetzalcoatl.Zura
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Zura
By Quetzalcoatl.Zura 2008-12-16 00:28:03
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're going to /rng, consider using a gun. It would be only after sidewinder of course and you'd be working with a low rated skill, but NIN has a lot of Racc options to work with. And a BRD also helps.

Other then that, /BLM can be useful as well. The problem with most of these is that by the time you reach 75 you'll do more gearing for speed and Jin. /THF especially becomes increasingly less attractive after 60.
 Siren.Caori
Server: Siren
user: Razor
By Siren.Caori 2008-12-16 02:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice discussion here :)

Im a Nin75 as main. So here are some things you can do besides the common /war thing.
As /war you can Berserk , have Double Attack ( good dmg thing you all know :)

I do /rng too , im using a Coffinmaker for this ( latent broken sure thing for merit ) wearing Koga Chainmail for ACC ATT // RACC RATT and Kirin Osode for WS ! I think it dont need more you all know which Gear will be the best for nin/rng
Note: I dont use Shuriken methode becoz you cant use a Sidewinder // Slugshot with it.

/drk Increases you base ATT and STR , Last Resort is a good thing too !

/dnc makes you a mixture of a common DD and a "Helper" to spend cures ( i personaly use it for solo playing but not for PT or Merit )

About gear i think everyone or most ppl know or have there own setup for nin/xxx.
 Asura.Shamaya
Server: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2008-12-16 04:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

80 PM's that's just redunculous.

Well there really are no "tanks" merit parties worth a salt these days, per se. The goal is to have every DD do as much damage as possible and, when they have hate, mitigate damage through either utsusemi or seigan, or at least have enough MP for the party if a DD doesn't have damage mitigation, w/ strong maincures and refresh support, or PL's otherwise.

All a Nin is really in a good merit party as far as 'tanking' is concerned, is a "first voke." Not as in to line up SATA, but as in to grab the mob's attention. That's why it's a good idea to have at least one war/nin or nin/war in your party. This can stretch beyond merit parties as well. I suppose it's been fashionable for awhile to use merit-style burn parties pre-75, using the same principles above. Of course the main advantage of Nins at these level is Utsu: Ni, but it doesn't mean they have to have hate 100% of the time.

I'd stray away from becoming a career nin/subotherthanwar at merit levels, unless there are some very good parses and/or math breakdowns involved. Berserk (and warcry) and double attack are a hellofadrug for DD. It's hard to beat your own katanas at 75 since you have access to insane dual-wield and as katana DoT can be greatly increased by haste stacking (gear, magical, etc) where shurikens, gun, and the elemental wheel cannot. And they also take advantage of all of the /war abilities/traits.

I'd stay away from gun since the marksmanship rating is so low, but one is free to try whatever they want. Agreed that a throwing build is going to require devoted gearsets to be worth attempting. Same with the ele wheel. I think that both of these are going to shine much more at earlier lvls than at 75, though at 75 you do have access to San's *shrug*. These builds will probably end up doing less and less after dual wield 3 and beyond, but one can enjoy them before that point surely.

/thf is going to be kind of meh. When subbed you don't get the dex base damage bonus for SA that thf mains get, so it'll just be like normal critting a ws hit. Similarly TA won't gain an agi bonus and no assassin trait crit. Wouldn't worry about lining up SATA as it'd add no extra damage above SA.

But yeah Nin's are just DD in exp parties at 75 really. Every Nin 'tank' just uses a DD maximization build, and if you have multiple shadow vokes you can just rotate vokes or have one of the others take over if they want to be nice to you, so you'll just be doing the same thing only not voking. And a last good thing about 'first voking' from a DD standpoint is that the mob comes to you first/quicker, so you'll likely be getting in extra swings before other DD's. I know some War and Nin and occasionally Mnk/War that prefer to voke because of this.
 Phoenix.Zazel
Server: Phoenix
user: Zazel
By Phoenix.Zazel 2008-12-16 07:29:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea what that guy said...Well geared Ninja can hang w/ most DD anyways. Stack haste/acc for tping, ws in dex/str.

Also you won't get an inv to a meripo unless your /war. A good ninja tank can allow wars drks and mnks to go /war or /sam and not mp sink As Much.

This goes for pretty much any party from 30>75
 Pandemonium.Knightofdragons
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Knightofdragons 2008-12-16 08:18:44
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my two DD Set ups For merit Partys(Ws/Tp) > http://www.ffxiah.com/members/?q=item_sets

There's few things there that could Be better (Usku Feet) etc but thought it would give you an idea what Works Well with this Set up i can do easy 1.1k - 1.2k Jins, And with lil Luck Can hit 1.6k.

I Would Suggest only Use'ing /War for DD'ing, The double Att Proc on Ws give's Really nice Ws dmg Boost aswell Increase's ur Dot Dmg In Melee,

i Suggest trying to keep ur Dex/Str close toghter, i find Dex helps alot on Jin, Increase'ing it Crit Potency,

Anyway this Jst for given'ing you an Idea there's Alot of other stuff that works well aswell, But remember nin can DD and tank @ the same time :)!

It what make's Nin > Pld in pts
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2008-12-16 08:28:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't want to bring you down, but if you want to "DD" build NIN, then /war is your only option. /Rng and /Thf are going to be so insanely gimp that even mediocre /War NIN's would smash you in damage. With /Rng the only option @ 75 would be Gun since shuri would both suck and be ungodly expensive, while slug is a really nice ws the low acc of the ws is what will really kill you on NIN. You will have you use so much racc to land Slug on meripo mobs that you will totally have to neglect other important stats like ratt and STR. So even when ur slug do land they will be extremly weak.

/Thf has its own set of problems. First of all the timer on SA will bite you hard. I know it doesn't seem very long but with haste/march(x2) you will get 100 tp long before SA timer is reset. Sitting on TP in meripo = BAD. I think we can all see why sitting on TP is terrible for the pt, and don't forget that as you should be offhanding a Perdu Blade you will lose the latent effect on it any time you are over 100 TP. The other main problem with subbing thf is Nin's selection of WS's. While Ku and Kamu look pretty cool Jin is the only WS worth a **** in meripo. Jin is a three attack ws and SA only stacks with the first swing, leaving the 2 following swings normal. Jin also is a WS that has chance to crit on its own, so if your combining Jin with SA the WS itself will cancel out many of your SA's because it would have crit'd on that first swing anyway.

Now, I know this isn't what you want to hear but the benefits of /War are pretty obvious. The traits of /War alone (Not even counting the JA) make it the best sub for a DD Nin. Att bonus and DA are amazing. Using haste gear along with haste/march(x2) and you virtually have 100 Katana's. At times you will swing so often (with DA proc) that your character animations will glitch and you will just see your TP climbing. Nin is very similar to Mnk in that the majority of your damage is coming from your DOT and not your WS. It won't take you very long in a pt @ 75 to see how much of an effect berserk has on your damage output. Now for your WS the same things apply. Serk affects all hits in your WS so it buffs the entire WS and not just the first swing, not to mention that any DA's in your ws will boost it more than a forced crit will.

Now just to be clear im not against trying new things in FFXI, in fact I have a coffinmaker and like to play around with it on Nin as well. The reason that certain jobs have been perma linked to certain subs isn't b/c people in ffxi are dumb, those that came before you were looking for the same thing and have tested most methods already and have found what generally works best for what. Now the rise of Pld/Nin and Pld/Rdm and also Ruke's findings about Sam/Drg shows that we don't know everything yet, but we have a pretty good grasp about this game mechanics and how they affect each job. Like I said, feel free to do w/e you want but don't if you are truely looking to max the damage of your Nin then /war is the only way to achieve that. GL and HF in what ever you decide to do.
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2008-12-16 10:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shamaya said:
And a last good thing about 'first voking' from a DD standpoint is that the mob comes to you first/quicker, so you'll likely be getting in extra swings before other DD's. I know some War and Nin and occasionally Mnk/War that prefer to voke because of this.

*guilty*

now i don't know all that much about nin but i do know all the 1k+ jins i have seen in merit pt(colibri, mamool) were /war. that's not to say other subs for nin aren't capable of that kind of spike but i have never seen it.

as far as best dot i think the general concensus would be /war. between DA, attack bonus, berserk and warcry i can't imagine another sub that would come close in numbers without a significant amount of effort/gear swaps/gil. in my experience and opinion; the less time spent focusing on popping macros/gear swaps/investments(gil or otherwise) for non-native actions to your job allows more time to focus on/invest in your native more efficient manner of DD. teh fast swingin katanas, tanking or straight up DD. cap your gear haste, 8/8 your katana skill, befriend a brd.

that being said..for shits and giggles nin/rng seems like a very fun combo when you're not needing to worry about your attack/r.accuracy on whatever it is you're fighting. i love to see unconventional job combos as long as they arent "gimping" themselves for the situation. i wish you good luck and happy hunting!
 Cerberus.Saiya
Server: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2008-12-16 10:40:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Just as a minor note to the above poster: (Edit: I posted too slow, I meant Frobius)

The Dmg mod for Marksmanship is AGI, not STR (i believe)

So stuff like Denali Body & Seiryu's Kote are simply amazing for Marksmanship WS, considering that 2AGI = 1 R.Acc also? Correct me if i'm wrong.

Gun Belt with +5 Marks for /rng will be a good choice too?
Koga Chainmail gives R.acc/att+8, added to that it's a good melee piece for TP gain.

Denali kecks might be a piece to consider for NIN ranged WS. AGI rings aren't commonly used as far as i'm aware, but 2 AGI+5 rings would help. Straight Behemoths/Dragons rings +1 would still be nice.

O-hat for a big dollop of accuracy (and i'm not sure about options for Non RNGs when it comes to Ranged WS, so no idea what else).

There's a R.acc/R.att piece somewhere high in the levels for Neck, similar to a RNG necklace (Which imo is better than PCC for RNG).

Fenrir's Earring R.att+10 since I don't know of any superior earring pieces that give r.acc.

Faith torque for +7 Marks. On feet Bowman's ledelsens from mamool ja assault if you have the patience, R.Acc +4. If not good old Federation Kyahan have R.Att +4

Just some ideas i thought of while wasting time till the end of work^^
 Cerberus.Saiya
Server: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2008-12-16 10:42:43
Link | Quote | Reply

But in light of other factors, I agree that straight up you'll find it difficult to beat overall damage of a nin/war with other subs of choice in a merit situation.

Just wanted to throw a few points pro /rng^^
 Asura.Shulula
user: Shulula
By Asura.Shulula 2008-12-16 11:20:58
Link | Quote | Reply

There's nothing wrong if you want to gear you NIN as a DD. If you're leveling it from scratch there are some things to think about from a party perspective. If you plan to LFG, then as a NIN DD, you're competing with all the other DD classes. NIN damage is very low to begin with because katana is weak and WS selection is poor. Once you get your better weapons, other DD also get their better weapons so you stay in the middle of the pack.

Other issue is that a party has 6 members. In a normal setup you have 1 healer, 1 Tank, 1 Buffer of some sort and 3 DD. Different jobs can fill different roles. For the DD, you have DRG, DRK, WAR, PUP, MNK, THF, RNG, SAM, BLM, BLU and you in competition for 3 slots. On the other hand for tank you have PLD, NIN and possibly WAR SAM MNK. Invites will be low if you want to take a DD slot.

If you make your own parties, you will get into the situation where the tank just left, or none looking, and there is a NIN in the pt that doesn't want to tank. I'd think twice about staying in a party like that. If you have a static that includes a tank already, then you might be fine, but otherwise its tough to take the DD NIN road.

You can also choose not to use the party system to level the job. Campaign, NPC, Fields of Valor, BCNMs and solo/duo can get you good exp. Of these, Campaign offers you the best chance to test out the non /war DD possibilities of NIN.

Once you hit 75 and get into merit parties, the game changes a bit. Merit parties are in competition for camps and buffers. COR and BRD are the top buffers, and parties want the maximum performance for their time. Its hard to pick a lower damage option and get a top tier party/camp. Plus you lose out on Voke with any other sub. Voke isn't a huge hate tool but it gets the mob off the puller to allow them to go searching for the next mob and keep your exp/hr high.

If you don't have voke, I'd take a higher tier DD over a NIN for merit every time. Do you think a slug shot from NIN/RNG is going to out damage one from RNG/NIN? Or a WS from NIN/THF will be higher than one from THF/NIN? If not, then its hard to give up that party slot.

Other job combos are good in certain events. But exp party and merit party are both about efficiency. Think of using alternate job combos for events like Assaults, ZNM, BCNM, Campaign, Limbus or Dynamis.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2008-12-16 11:29:55
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no denying that Nin has some pretty good options for range (given most likely at SE's wish for nin's to use shuri). However in merit situations you just are going to be able to build a set up that has both high acc and good DD output. Sure you can go wild with Racc but then your Slugs will hit like a wet noodle, or you can go for max damage and wif every time. I suppose with Slug you can get decent acc out of it with a damage build on Nin @ 300% tp but all of us know how foolish that is.

Looking at other possible subs the only 2 which could possibly work to an extent would be /drk and /drg. /drk would virtually be the same as /war with a few slight differences. SE Jin with a crit or two could prob put up a decent spike damage for nin. You would of course need some HP+ gear for this as nin doesn't have the largest HP pool to pull out of.

/Drg may be the best sub outside of war imo. Since NIN only has A- skill in katana the acc bonus trait from /drg would be a welcome addition. Also using the Wyrven earring you would be able to hit the haste cap w/o much difficulty. Capping haste while under haste and double march would be pretty silly for attack speed. The low delay on katana's limiting the tp from jump would be a downer but the pure attack speed increase may be enough to compete with /war.

I would gear /drg like this

Senju / Perdu / ___ / Fire Bomblet
Usu Mask / PCC / Suppa / Wyrven Ear
AF +1 / Dusk +1 / Sniper's +1 / Sniper's +1
Chuchu / Speed / Byakko / Usu sun-ate

This setup will give you the desired 25% haste and 2 lvls of Dual Weild reduction. I would use PCC over torque and chu mantle over an att mantle to make up for the ACC loss from Hauby+1/Usu body. With this setup on /drg under haste + double march a /drg nin may be able to stay on par with an equaly geared nin/war or even out parse it slightly, however any time that you lose one of those 3 haste spells you will fall behind. Also to consider is the loss of Provoke which even if you are not using to tank can still save a rdm or one of your two bards from death.
 Remora.Devek
Server: Remora
user: devek
By Remora.Devek 2008-12-16 12:25:16
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want to be a DD, level a DD job.

It isn't 2006 anymore, I sold all my ninja gear the moment I got back to the game.
 Asura.Nightbear
user: Nightbear
By Asura.Nightbear 2008-12-16 13:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I have this 3 DD jobs : WAR MNK NIN , a Mage job BLM off all 3 NIN is the most versatil i ever played

You can tank stuff ppl think is PLD only: Gembu,Byakko,Sea Gods,You can solo crazy stuff, and yes you CAN DD, my war and nin share i would say 90% of the gear for merit PTs, EVA nins are so 2006, my NIN leveled w/o any eva gear (Galka Race) so evasion was not an option for me, take advante of you race and stats, i went full Attk gear from 25~75 used ele wheel only during kuftal tunnel leves and in the end putting more attak would allow me to tank better vs heavy DDs like MNK and WARs. Now @ 75 is a whole new ball game, the fact you can spike Jins of 1000+ and sing faster than any other job in the game will allow you even w/o provoke have the upper hand in DPS/Hate, of course you will never have the same output as a WAR or a MNK in the long run when comes to WS damage, but DPS nin win.

My gear for merits: NIN af~Hauby+1 for WS,PCC~Chiv for WS,Duskp for TP ~ Kotes for WS(yes don't have AF+1 yet ; ;),Swiftbelt for DPS and depending on the mob swap to Potent belt or Warwolf belt,Feet Fuma sunate~Rutter sabatons~AF2 @ night,Legs depends on mob too Byakkos or Sura,Brutal Suppa~Storm loop for WS,Rajas ring & Snipers DPS~Rajas Flame for WS or keep the smiper for those THF type mobs.
Senji/Perdu forget about anything else. unless you are relic holder.

Another thing i loved to try was NIN/RDM using ele wheel , with the right int/MaB set you can do crazy damage spiking your nukes frmo 70 dmg up to 140 a pop, does not compare to a PDS NIN but is fun.

/DRK only with a DMG% reduction gear for Gods or KSNM situations , >.> never ever ever for a Merit pt
you only hurt your pt exp per hour.

/DNC is insale for soloing , never for merits.

/BLM for ballista, Ice spikes will drive nuts anyone who dares to attack you unless is a stinky BLU :p and you have AoE spells to get rid of shadows and the lovely ES+Sleepga to pick one at a time.

For those oldschool KO NINs please do your self a favor and unless your a RNG sell it get a Hauby+1
for the katan part i said already Senji/Perdu , if you don't have those get them asap.

<3 Shamaya owes me a BRD charge and still waiting for that DPS battle,regear your THF lazy bum <3

All tryed and tested with friends/LS , people must be open minded to cooperate with you and let you go crazy with your subs.

I'm yet to try /rng and throwing tools :) so PM me for any tips on that part.
 Pandemonium.Knightofdragons
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Knightofdragons 2008-12-16 13:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Devek What is Nin now then? bc Only thing i can think of Now is Kiter whats almost never use'd!

Its not a Tank bc Pld out tanks Nin..
And Even Crim leg Pld can Out Kite a Nin and needs less Support Bc of its cure ability..

Nin is a Merit/Party DD, And can Deal as much Dmg as a war if Not more!

edit: Not Say'ing Nin can't Tank But PLD Normaly Does a better Job at it!
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2008-12-16 13:47:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Knightofdragons said:

Nin is a Merit/Party DD, And can Deal as much Dmg as a war if Not more!

an un-merited, axe/axe, af-wearin nq war that is...lol

but seriously, my war has been humbled by a select few ninja in merit pt's when i first hit 75 with the job - albeit the possibility is there, you wont find many a ninja who can.
 Hades.Evilpaul
Server: Hades
user: Evilpaul
By Hades.Evilpaul 2008-12-16 14:02:52
Link | Quote | Reply

OP, you can click my name to see all my character's crap. NIN is nowhere near most other DDs nowadays in damage. I can't speak for other servers, but nobody on Hades uses NIN to tank anything big.

If you want to DD as NIN you'll want /WAR. It beats the piss out of other subs for damage.

/THF is garbage.

The elemental wheel blows post-55 or so. At 75 with /RDM you might do OK on things that are resistant to physical damage. But it's really not worthwhile in general.

Shuriken are stupidly expensive. Save your money and level a stronger DDing job, get a Kikoku, or do something more worthwhile.

/RNG and Slugshot is interesting, but people who've done it seem to report better results from just using Katanas and /WAR outside Ballista.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2008-12-16 14:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Gunblade said:

I was def thinking of shurkiens period for ammo XD
WS wise tho, I was kinda leaning towards /thf. I can stack most my WS's with SA
other than the lame ones nin have XD (elemental ones)

Sounds very good actually, kinda like sam/thf ^^
 Kujata.Malicfayt
Server: Kujata
user: Malicfayt
By Kujata.Malicfayt 2008-12-16 15:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

If money is of not of any problem. nin/rng can out parse a nin/war. Ninja's throwing skill is the same as their katana A- which is 269 i think. Just off the top of my head i can think of alot of very nice ranged equipment for ninja w/o even researching more into it.

Lets see. Ninja tekko +1 thats +20 acc/attack +5 throwing skill. Koga chainmail +10 acc/attk. Sniper Rings+1. Amemet mantle+1, Peacock amulet. they have some very nice throwing skill + ranged acc belts out there. the list goes on.

/Rng will give you +22 acc with its acc bonus, rapid shot, sharpshot (barrage wont work). You also have Sange as a merit 2 ability on ninja. Manji Shuriken are about the only things realistically to be throwing. 192 delay 63 dmg 19.69 DPS.

Ninja has 3 A- skills Katana, Ninjutsu, Throwing. Sure you can go and deny 1 of your A- abilities as ninja and sub war. It really doesn't matter it has proved itself over the years not as only a great ninja sub but a decent most any DD sub. But don't go pretending to yourself that the stacked ranged + gear on your already existing Ninja gear that you probably use for your /war is there.

19.69 DPS on a majin. Count it. Go look up a Relics DPS. The highest DPS Relic in the game as i know of is Mandau @ 13.3. Does that include the poison effect? I wouldn't think so probably not but im not 100% certain. Shuriken have the highest DPS in the game period. Ninja has the potential to be the best DD in the game but SE made it unrealistically expensive to even think about that route.
Anyways once you built up TP go in change to WS gear and Jin.

So to answer your question nin/rng is a viable sub job for a DD ninja when your wallet has nothing else better to spend it on. But if you don't want to tank i wouldn't advise Going this route either. Your going to be ripping mad hate. Have i done this you ask? Yes at low levels i /rng just to try it out. And i have seen a level 75 nin/rng do this once while i was in a merit pt with my thief on Colibri. Will i go out and do it for you on my ninja? hell no i don't have the gear or the money haha. If i could i would, But it is much easier and cheaper to gear a good nin/war DD than a nin/rng DD Using Giltoss. =/
First Page 2