Death Scythe/Tredecim Scythe/Moliones's Set
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Bismarck.Touvan
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Touvan
By Bismarck.Touvan 2010-05-03 02:02:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok im looking for help deciding on a scythe, My current options are Death Scythe augmented with acc+4 HP+22, Tredecim, or Moliones's set. For this we are assuming I have 6hit/capped acc for each weapon against Greater Colibri.

Edit: Also i wanted to add, Would it be benificial to wear a sword strap on the 528 dly scythes if I could still hold 6 hit?
 Hades.Excelior
Server: Hades
user: Excelior
By Hades.Excelior 2010-05-03 02:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Not counting the new magian stuff I'd say your best bet is
Tredecim or Perdu. Tredecim is amazing against high defense mobs due to the forced crit on the 13th swing. Perdu isnt bad either but I always liked Tredecim best, its also really cheap.
Perdu is already not a 6 true 6 hit with just rajas + /sam. Tredecim is a natural 6 hit with just /samurai I believe so it would have the most give room for sword strap.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-05-03 02:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

i'd think pole grip or axe grip better than sword strap?
sure you may hit 3% faster~ but u gatta hope for that 2% from double attack to work :D
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-05-03 02:08:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ultimatum(DMG+12), Severance(DMG+20Delay-15STR+4ATK+15) Severance(DMG+23AddEff:DefDown) are all better options, the Def-Down Severance in particular is easy to obtain. If you are a fan of the Perdu, The Attk+ Severance will make you fap, or if female, spray torrents of hot, glistening ladyspunk. Everything good about Perdu, and Everything good about Vendetta/D.Scythe. Pure Awesome.

I've not tested it, so someone with better info can probably give you more a more solid answer, but I think the Pole is still better than the Sword strap unless you are rockin an OAT weapon.
[+]
 Bismarck.Touvan
By Bismarck.Touvan 2010-05-03 02:09:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Seeing as I'm only SP I'm not counting perdu for now, I'm working on assaults to get one, this is pretty much just to hold me over til then.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-05-03 02:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

what does OAT mean?
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-05-03 02:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Volkom said:
what does OAT mean?

Occasionally Attacks Twice. (Refers particularly to the Magian weapons with DMG+Delay+Occ.Atk.Twc.)
 Bismarck.Touvan
By Bismarck.Touvan 2010-05-03 02:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

what does OAT mean?

Occasionaly attacks twice
 Hades.Excelior
By Hades.Excelior 2010-05-03 02:12:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Ultimatum(DMG 12), Severance(DMG 20Delay-15STR 4ATK 15) Severance(DMG 23AddEff:DefDown) are all better options, the Def-Down Severance in particular is easy to obtain. I've not tested it, so someone with better info can probably give you more a more solid answer, but I think the Pole is still better than the Sword strap unless you are rockin an OAT weapon.

I've been told sword strap beats pole grip if you have brutal already do to the decreasing returns of DA rate? I may be wrong correct me if I am.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-05-03 02:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

ooohhkay~what if it attacks 2-3 times?
OATTTT
Occasionally Attacks Two To Three Times
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-05-03 02:14:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Excelior said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Ultimatum(DMG 12), Severance(DMG 20Delay-15STR 4ATK 15) Severance(DMG 23AddEff:DefDown) are all better options, the Def-Down Severance in particular is easy to obtain. I've not tested it, so someone with better info can probably give you more a more solid answer, but I think the Pole is still better than the Sword strap unless you are rockin an OAT weapon.

I've been told sword strap beats pole grip if you have brutal already do to the decreasing returns of DA rate? I may be wrong correct me if I am.

I've never heard anything about decreasing returns on Double Attack rate. But I don't know enough about it to dismiss it. Is the claim that it works like Enhances Dual Wield effect? Or what?
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-05-03 02:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

ooohhkay~what if it attacks 2-3 times?
OATTTT
Occasionally Attacks Two To Three Times

Then it's a Mercurial weapon, and you better be /DNC in Campaign or skilling up.
[+]
 Hades.Excelior
By Hades.Excelior 2010-05-03 02:17:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Hades.Excelior said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
I've never heard anything about decreasing returns on Double Attack rate. But I don't know enough about it to dismiss it. Is the claim that it works like Enhances Dual Wield effect? Or what?

Basically what it means is: At 1% doubel attack, 1% double attack is +1% damage over time. When you add more doubel attack beyond that it doesnt add quite one percent damage over time per add. So that 2% Da would not quite add 2% damage overtime whereas that sword strap would add a static value of damage over time. Like I said I don't know the math of any of this, it is just what I've been told many times by my mathy friends who play this game.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-05-03 02:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

i want to see better grips~ more multi hit weapons that attack 3~8 times~
grips with haste, regain~ grips that can proc flash/def. down and that sorta thing :D
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-05-03 02:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The one thing that makes me weary of mathy-math is because People have their own Maniacal reasons for doing things, I remember back way before the ultra inflation, when Hagun and shinsoku were out, there was tons of "Math" Showing that Shinsoku was better, naturally the price flew up high (And this is when I grabbed my Hagun for 600k) and I can only imagine the perpetrating consortium of players funded a relic or two off of the fabricated numbers.

/removes Tinfoil Hat

Still, new things about this game are being discovered daily, so I'm always open to check something out myself.
 Hades.Excelior
By Hades.Excelior 2010-05-03 02:25:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
The one thing that makes me weary of mathy-math is because People have their own Maniacal reasons for doing things, I remember back way before the ultra inflation, when Hagun and shinsoku were out, there was tons of "Math" Showing that Shinsoku was better, naturally the price flew up high (And this is when I grabbed my Hagun for 600k) and I can only imagine the perpetrating consortium of players funded a relic or two off of the fabricated numbers. /removes Tinfoil Hat Still, new things about this game are being discovered daily, so I'm always open to check something out myself.

Honestly I still want somebody to explain the math to me regarding that cause in my mind it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. (given in 100swings with 5% double attack you'd attack 105 times, with 6% you'd do 106 swings) Logically it seems to me that it would be a static rate but meh.

Edit: Btw domaru beats haubergeon +1 I'll sell you one for 3mil ;)
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-05-03 02:28:09
Link | Quote | Reply

About double attack:
pole grip 2%
brutal earring 5%

so just having those two items allows you to have a 7% chance to double attack off every hit?
so essentially over a really long stretch of time (if you're just meleeing not weaponskilling) you'll do 7% more melee damage?
 Hades.Excelior
By Hades.Excelior 2010-05-03 02:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

It would be slightly less than 7% was my point.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-05-03 02:32:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Exactly my point, and if it was a difference, I'm sure it'd be minuscule at best (but most differences in this game are, and eventually the tons of tiny differences add up to a larger sum).

Another good Example was when Askar Korazin was becoming Popular, There was a "Study" that even at capped accuracy, Haubergeon+1 outperforms Askar Korazin. I personally think everyone should have both, but the devious intent of some people is just disconcerting sometimes.

I'm just waiting for the study that shows Flame Ring has Hidden Effect: Weapon Skill Damage+3% so don't sell for Strigoi plz.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-03 02:34:57
Link | Quote | Reply

RE: Pole v Sword discussion:

If no other factors are in play (doesn't break x-hit, don't have to drop haste to maintain x-hit), Sword > Pole for any 2hander EXCEPT DRG. For DRG they're almost perfectly matched with VFork (only relevant weapon pre-Magian), though I could see Sword being a winner with the Magian OAT polearm. Working on a model for that at the moment so I can't really say for sure right now... Should play out even more in OAT's favor for non-DRG OAT since you'll have both a higher base rate and the fact that OAT and DA don't stack.

RE: Diminishing returns:

1% DA with no base DA is a 1% increase gives you 1 additional hit for every 100 hits on average. 101/100=1% increase in damage. That same 1% DA at a 50% base rate is 151/150=0.667% increase in damage. Decreasing returns with respect to total DPS.
 Hades.Excelior
By Hades.Excelior 2010-05-03 02:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I think a lot of people do the math but don't understand that in most cases there is the element of chance. I'm 20 accuracy over capped on my drk in merit partys but depending on the length of my party I may parse 90-92% so it would seem, depending on that parse that I needed more accuracy even though mathmatically I did not.

Edit. I understand depending on the length of the party I would eventually reach 97%.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-05-03 02:36:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Does that take into account that Double attack can Proc on Weapon skills, but Delay-3% cannot?
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-05-03 02:38:13
Link | Quote | Reply

haha well if flame ring doesn't have any hidden effects
Flame Ring:
Def:3 STR+5 INT+2 MND-2

Strigoi Ring:
STR+6 ATK+3

well strigoi ring beats out flame ring for single hit and multi hit weaponskills cuz it has more str and overall more attack (+7.5 attk) but you can't augment it thus..
leaving flame ring having a potential to be better.
[+]
 Hades.Excelior
By Hades.Excelior 2010-05-03 02:39:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Only JP get good augments v.v I saw a JP walkin around the other day with Dex+2 on a toreador's ring made me want to cry.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-05-03 02:40:20
Link | Quote | Reply

for some reason i think weaponskills proc'ing a double attack is a lie
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-03 02:41:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Does that take into account that Double attack can Proc on Weapon skills, but Delay-3% cannot?
Yes, but technically you're looking at it the wrong way. Since you're swinging faster, you're also WSing more and thus Sword Strap also increases the WS portion of your DPS for a given timeframe. The only portion not affected is Jumps and Meditate (since Sword Strap doesn't cut JA timers) and the resulting WS from said factors. That's why it's much closer for DRG; it's also fairly close for SAM/DRG but DA has less impact on single-hit WS due to the low amount of acc you wear so Sword pulls ahead again.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-05-03 02:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

for some reason i think weaponskills proc'ing a double attack is a lie

It's not, I've had a seven-hit guillotine before (Double Attack Proc'd Three times) Resulting in an instant kill on Colibri from 92%. Total DMG 3001.

I still also firmly believe on any Multi Hit, a weapon skill can Critical after the first, processed on each individual strike (As a normal hit). I don't even want to debate this, because really, I can't. I can't prove it, I can't show any data, nothin. It's almost a faith thing, thought I don't pursue specific Dex-increasing ws sets for like, an STR modded weapon skill or anything.

It'll be easier to validate when Innin is subbable in about a month.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-05-03 02:45:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote feature bein slow.

@Nightfyre

Makes sense. I have a Sword standing By for when I complete the OAT GKT, so I'll play with it a bit.
 Hades.Excelior
By Hades.Excelior 2010-05-03 02:46:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Noob question probably but does apocalypse with +26% gear haste benefit from sword strap? I was never sure how -delay interacted with haste caps since there's so little gear that has it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-05-03 02:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yeah lol~ I do notice sometimes of that little bit more increase in TP return sometimes. but the idea is kinda funny if you did a groundstrike...you're jumping up in the air once...but u hit it twice on the way down?
lol
but yeah i'm a believer that a multihit weaponskills can crit every hit
First Page 2 3 4 5