For Windower Users(Read!)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » For Windower Users(Read!)
For Windower Users(Read!)
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-12-08 02:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're going to share your screenshots with people or post them edit your windower's init.txt file.

Change this line:

bind sysrq screenshot bmp

to:

bind sysrq screenshot bmp hide

This will hide all plugins except TimeStamp and will make your screenshots look 10x better. You can change the bmp to jpeg or png as well.
 Alexander.Nepharite
Server: Alexander
user: nepharite
By Alexander.Nepharite 2008-12-08 02:13:25
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, don't let everyone know your using 3rd party illegal tools~
[+]
 Phoenix.Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-12-08 02:46:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Nepharite said:

Well my reasoning is that they don't look as ugly with plugins hidden but that works too.
 Shiva.Vexarana
Server: Shiva
user: Vexarana
By Shiva.Vexarana 2008-12-08 20:18:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Also you can add umm..

Well i forget the command but..

setkey ScrollLock down;pause .1; setkey ScrollLock up

That is basically it.

And that will let you take screenshots without anything at all if you "hide" it.
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2008-12-09 01:43:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Nepharite said:
^- bitter PS2 user.
[+]
 Alexander.Nepharite
user: nepharite
By Alexander.Nepharite 2008-12-09 02:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sammitch said:
Nepharite said:
^- bitter PS2 user.

I couldn't imagine having to play ffxi on the ps2.
 Alexander.Neph
user: Neph
By Alexander.Neph 2008-12-09 14:04:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not bad at all. ~_~
Less scare of your passwords getting hacked.
 Shiva.Vexarana
Server: Shiva
user: Vexarana
By Shiva.Vexarana 2008-12-10 19:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol if you play on PC and get cracked, then you did something wrong.

Except for a very few cases where it was SE's fault, using Firefox, Noscript, Adblocker Plus, along with AVG Antivirus and COMODO Firewall blocks it all.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-12-10 19:21:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The largest security breach in FF history (the one that brought down Somepage, hit ffxyclopedia, and almost got us) was due to a particular browser security exploit in Firefox, IE, and others, that would not have been caught by the above security measures.

Only reason I bring it up is that the above example measures will block the majority of unsophisticated hacking attempts, but saying it will "block it all unless it's SE's fault" is a bit untrue. =) I never hesitate to blast SE when appropriate, but the largest breaches have not been their fault. (They've been Adobe, Mozilla, and Microsoft's.)
 Alexander.Neph
user: Neph
By Alexander.Neph 2008-12-10 19:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

*sagely nod*

^-^
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-12-10 19:52:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
The largest security breach in FF history (the one that brought down Somepage, hit ffxyclopedia, and almost got us) was due to a particular browser security exploit in Firefox, IE, and others, that would not have been caught by the above security measures.

Only reason I bring it up is that the above example measures will block the majority of unsophisticated hacking attempts, but saying it will "block it all unless it's SE's fault" is a bit untrue. =) I never hesitate to blast SE when appropriate, but the largest breaches have not been their fault. (They've been Adobe, Mozilla, and Microsoft's.)

So Jae, what's the best way to protect ourselves from said hacking attempts, be it FFXI-related or not? Is Mozilla Firefox enough?
 Leviathan.Minigoji
Server: Leviathan
user: Minigoji
By Leviathan.Minigoji 2008-12-10 20:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Anye said:
So Jae, what's the best way to protect ourselves from said hacking attempts, be it FFXI-related or not? Is Mozilla Firefox enough?

think up a pword impossibly long and complicated; disconnect your internet connection; do a massive virus/malware/adware etc. sweep; setup your pword in the POL loggin screen and save it; reconnect internet and log in with saved pword.

Gotta be even more complicated than the hacker in order to beat em I say :D
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Server: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2008-12-11 06:58:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Anye said:

Don't surf the web.

It sounds like a smart *** remark, I know, but it really isn't. If you want to be totally 100% safe and secure from any viruses, don't surf the web. Don't visit wiki, don't download, don't torrent, don't do anything on the web.
 Ramuh.Bekisa
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2008-12-11 09:18:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Katarzyna said:
Anye said:
Don't surf the web.

bingo.

These people who think Firefox is invulnerable are crazy. If it is made by man, it can be hacked by man. I use IE7 over Firefox 99% of the time and I was never caught by that virus; in fact, I was the person who first pointed the attack on wiki that happened the first few days of April this year. I caught and prevented it with IE7 too.

The main reason there are more viruses made for IE than Firefox is there is more PC's with IE7 vs. Firefox. Chances are, people who complain about IE and use Firefox, also have IE installed on their PC. Whether or not they use it is a different story. Think about it, every single PC comes preinstalled with IE7 now. Work, school, home, etc. If they come with Windows, they come with IE as well. I don't know exact numbers but I'd be willing to bet damn near 95%+ of the "average home user" uses Windows (which "comes with" IE). It is just smart business for virus makes to author their items towards IE (i.e. the most users at once) who are 'more than likely' the average PC user as well. If you know about Firefox and the plugins, most likely you are smart enough to stay away from viruses and virus authors know this. It does not mean Firefox is invulnerable to it though, it just means it is attacked far less.

The last few waves of hijack/trojan attempts for FFXI would have caught you; Firefox or not, if you were not protected to some extent. (Or if you happen to not view the said sites before you got a patched software fixing the backdoors)

What did we learn today? "Autoupdate" on all your software should always be used? I'd say so.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-12-11 11:28:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bekisa said:
These people who think Firefox is invulnerable are crazy.

It's not so much that Firefox is invulnerable but Firefox has easy to use add-ons that enhance your browser's security.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2008-12-11 17:49:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Whats wrong with those 3 base Anti-virus if ya dont mind me asking for your opinion? ^^

Post deleted by User.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2008-12-11 19:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

What do you think of Adblock and Noscript? or do those fall under "Basic plugins"?

Post deleted by User.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2008-12-11 20:34:24
Link | Quote | Reply

lol Yea, we love advertisements and commercials.. >.>

Ill check out those things you mentioned tho.. Any of them free?

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Schultz
Server: Lakshmi
user: Schultz
By Lakshmi.Schultz 2008-12-11 21:13:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

The last few major ones were not Firefox/IE problems. RealPlayer/Flash which use Firefox/IE were the main issues. Sure Firefox/IE are the reason that the exploits were able to execute, but only due to the originating programs and their faults.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2008-12-11 21:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the info =)
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Server: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2008-12-11 21:50:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
AVG I'm sure has a free trial or whatever. Spybot is free for sure.

AVG is free. No "trial." Search Cnet.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2008-12-11 23:00:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
Yeah sorry, under basic plugins. Of course I don't publicly support adblock because it cuts down on website revenue with things like Adsense.

:D

I really don't mind Ads so long as they're non-intrusive. Unfortunately too many sites have obnoxious ads.