Varkolak in Castle Keep [S]
First Page 2
 Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: zeldageek
By Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek 2010-04-08 21:03:50
Link | Quote | Reply

So I killed two of these guys today, group of 5.
We got Exp Chain 1 for 349, Chain 2 for 363.
With my calculations this puts them at level 90 or 89 ish, but I'm not terribly familiar with the formula, so was wondering if anyone here can figure it out, or if its capped at being 90+~

Also, on a unrelated note, we had a SMN, and used Odin and it worked, naturally being a normal mob I suppose. Just a confirmation.

Also: No drops! D:

Edit: #3 291 no chain 5 man
 Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek
By Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek 2010-04-08 22:19:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone an expert on this stuff? x.x
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-04-08 22:21:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the cap per-kill thus far is 300 exp with no chain or exp bonuses, and since you didn't get 300 without a chain, I'd estimate about LV84.
 Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek
By Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek 2010-04-08 22:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

LV84 with a 5 person party? Seems a little low, since lolibri are 81 right?
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-08 22:37:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Chain 2 adds 25%. So your xp w/o chain would've been 290.4 makes sense since you got 291.

5 person means you got only .37 of what it could've been if it didn't cap at 300. So it would'v been 786.5

According to wiki 14 lvls higher gives 720 15 gives 800. There are rounding errors in there so I'd say it's probably the higher one.

I used http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Experience_Points btw
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-04-08 22:44:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Oops. My brain was in the right place but I was just doing too much thinking at once. LV89, not 84. What Dasva said.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-08 22:45:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Also to note anything past 90 wont give anymore xp as far as the charts go so would pretty much have no way of figuring out if a mob even was a higher lvl for now
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-04-08 22:50:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I suspect it's actually lower than 89 and just has an xp bonus like a lot of the nastier mobs do. Hard to do much more than speculate without more data though.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-08 22:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

There is that too. Only real way to prove that would be kill it with lower lvl people and see how much you get. Basically can you get over 300 without a chain
 Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek
By Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek 2010-04-08 22:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, though I'm not sure how you would determine if it gave an EXP bonus based on family, any suggestions?
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-04-08 22:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I quit long before Castle Zvahl_S was added, though I would assume they have harder mobs there than the rest of the past, which is already harder than most of what's in the Present. The highest-level non-NMs before these would be the Treants in Caedarva, LV86. So a LV89 wouldn't be THAT unheard-of assuming this is the highest level zone of the highest level expansion.
 Lakshmi.Prinnysmash
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Prinnysmash 2010-04-08 22:59:35
Link | Quote | Reply

you guys skipped a question, did you have sigil? in parties of 2-5 with sigil you get a 20% exp bonus.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-04-08 23:01:39
Link | Quote | Reply

There it is, I knew I was missing something. LV88 assuming you had Sigil.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-04-08 23:03:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you try killing some with only 4 people instead? That should be sufficient.

And just reading some descriptions elsewhere, they just don't seem that hard. 14 lvls of level correction is quite a bit to overcome.

Also, WOTG isn't really appreciably higher lvl than TOA is.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-04-08 23:04:37
Link | Quote | Reply

But ToAU doesn't have the one zone that's supposed to dominate everything else like WotG does, so it would make sense to me that it receives a tad higher level adjustment.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-08 23:05:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure the signet bonus only applies to signet. It was part of a encourage people to xp in old zones. I mean you still lose tp resting with sigil/sanction on. You don't get more HMP. So I dobut you get the increased xp for pts less than 6
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-04-08 23:12:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Pretty sure the signet bonus only applies to signet. It was part of a encourage people to xp in old zones. I mean you still lose tp resting with sigil/sanction on. You don't get more HMP. So I dobut you get the increased xp for pts less than 6
Wiki said:
The following effects are always granted (all similar to Signet):

* You will receive an Experience Points bonus when in a party of less than 6 people. (20%)
* You will not lose TP while resting.
* The rate at which HP is recovered while healing is increased.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-04-08 23:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

The low party bonus does seem to apply to sigil though I think it might be borked on pets or something since I recally not getting it when xping on pets in the past before.

Either way, it's not a straight 20%, it varies based on your party members, and a 1.95 5 man bonus vs 1.85 still doesn't give a clean number.

And look at it this way, Kirin's around lvl 90ish. I don't think they went around in a group of 5 happily smacking things that high.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-04-08 23:15:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Kirin's LV92, yes, but Kirin also uses TP moves back-to-back and hits each for 1000+. NMs are always stronger than normal mobs.

And as for ToAU having a similar zone structure, yes, it does have three dominating zones, but so does WotG. Then WotG has the zone that dominates the three lesser beastmen zones. Just imagine a boss for ToAU that rules all three beastmen also. His zone would have higher level mobs than the lowly Mamool Ja/Trolls/Lamia.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-08 23:19:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
wiki said:
The following effects are always granted (all similar to Signet):

* You will receive an Experience Points bonus when in a party of less than 6 people. (20%)
* You will not lose TP while resting.
* The rate at which HP is recovered while healing is increased.
Well since seeing as I always campaign with sigil and every time I rest I lose tp at 10% per tic I'd say wiki is wrong
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-04-08 23:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually took out the line about TOA because I realized it wasn't a good parallel, lol.

But anyways, we're not even talking about how much dmg Kirin does, it's somewhat difficult to do dmg to him, primarily because of the whole lvl correction thing, which has the same effect regardless of NM or otherwise.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-04-08 23:20:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Your Sigil likely wore then. Unless they've changed it recently, I took PLD from LV60-75 in Campaign PLD/DNC and I never once lost TP when I was /healing.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-04-08 23:20:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Really? I don't recall losing tp when doing campaign with sigil on...
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-04-08 23:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't recall ever losing TP while resting in campaign with Sigil... I'll pay more attention tomorrow (if I go out on PLD). Admittedly, I rely on my refresh/mp/tp (PLD/DNC) more than actual resting unless I die.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-04-08 23:22:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Tarowyn said:
I actually took out the line about TOA because I realized it wasn't a good parallel, lol.

But anyways, we're not even talking about how much dmg Kirin does, it's somewhat difficult to do dmg to him, primarily because of the whole lvl correction thing, which has the same effect regardless of NM or otherwise.
My point is, I guess, that it's easy for SE to just hit a button and make an NM have 300 more DEF than something of similar level. But it wouldn't make sense to do so on a normal mob because they're just that -- Normal. I do understand what you're saying, but by that logic, you're saying a Greater Colibri should be just as hard as Charybdis.
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-04-08 23:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, we all jumped all over that post, lol.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-04-08 23:23:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Wow, we all jumped all over that post, lol.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-08 23:24:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok well I always used to lose it which is why I started actually using staff to rest those few times I do rest awhile back. But right outside of campaign I didn't.. weird. And in campaign too. Guess they fixed it and I can go back to resting in swd/shield
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-04-08 23:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

While it is true, they seem to rarely directly unbalance stats like that. They'll sometimes give them certain special properties like your chary example and of course they have a brick ton more HP, but that's about it.

And technically, colis are soloable, chary's soloable. Chary's simply has a lot more hp and a very annoying number of attacks, lol.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-04-08 23:29:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Charybdis is soloable but very difficult outside of NIN/DNC and RDM. I've personally done it both ways.

The difference is, Greater Colibri are soloable by anyone with a TP wing. There's a large difficulty tier there, and Charybdis would still be a hard solo if it didn't hit like a Kraken Club, due to high HP and DEF, and TP moves doing 1000+ if you're caught with shadows down.
[+]
First Page 2