Trial Of The Magians - Axe - Anyadvice?!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » Trial of the Magians - Axe - Anyadvice?!
Trial of the Magians - Axe - Anyadvice?!
 Ifrit.Linkzell
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Linkzell
By Ifrit.Linkzell 2010-03-27 02:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm finding my 1st trial, Trail 296, very frustrating. I need to kill 100 Crabs in any weather effect. Now, the few areas I can think of to go to that have EP+ Crabs and weather effects are: Kuftal, Cape T., and The Boy. Tree. The problem is, Ive spent about 5+hrs. in each location seance the update, and there has not once been any weather.

So here is what I'm asking. If anyone has done this, any advice?

Link~
 Siren.Talonn
Server: Siren
By Siren.Talonn 2010-03-27 03:15:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Cape T might be your best for crabs+weather. Make sure you check with the weather NPCs before camping though. Most zones have weather based on 'season' much like real life. IE Zi'tah has a 'rainy' season during 5/6 months vana time. In this time period it will rainy almost everyday non-stop. If you can find something like this for those zones then that would be your best try. Cape T. normally gets wind weather so...
Good luck!
 Seraph.Firebrand
Server: Seraph
By Seraph.Firebrand 2010-04-18 18:23:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I just started this quest too. I found that weather effects in Cape Terrigan are a bit too far apart. Boyahda Tree, I haven't noticed a time where weather effects aren't up. The only downside, you won't get the extra XP from FoV pages nor any of the field support enhancements.

Supertip: Familiar a Korrigan and take it down to the lower level crabs... you'll be done with this quest in no time.
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-04-18 18:37:38
Link | Quote | Reply

There's also Vunkerl Inlet (S). It has EP crabs and can have lightning or wind weather.
 Ifrit.Linkzell
user: Linkzell
By Ifrit.Linkzell 2010-04-20 05:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

As a follow up to my 1st post. I have found that The Boy. Tree is the best location for the 1st trial. The weather is few and far between, but when it does come, it lasts a wail. I had Lighting> Double lighting > back to single for 2.5hrs. strait the other day. If your a BST, doing the 100 Crab trial. Go to the Tree.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [62 days between previous and next post]
 Seraph.Kobe
Server: Seraph
user: kobe1010
By Seraph.Kobe 2010-06-21 15:14:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I did two choppers in Vunkerl Inlet (S). Didn't take very long at all with Lars. Trial 330 (Bees) was a difficult one. Ifrit's Cauldron rarely has rain and when it does rain its not for very long. Had to drag a level 25 LS mate around Pashhow for awhile.
 Bahamut.Cerusa
Server: Bahamut
user: cerusa
By Bahamut.Cerusa 2010-06-21 16:36:29
Link | Quote | Reply

i finshed 2 of the axes..did crabs in vukerl inlet(s)
was prety easy there is weather there bout 90% of the time.
the bees were a lil tough i went to the crawlers nest, the bees were easy to weak. just swap them out until con easy.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [52 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Ennayram
Server: Carbuncle
user: Ennayram
By Carbuncle.Ennayram 2010-08-13 00:32:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Needz moar Necro Bump!

Interested to hear what other BSTs have taken on to complete.

Myself, I'm working on the pet acc one as well as the MAB one for Primal Rend build. Also thinking I might do the 2-3 axe as well if I can stomach camping the NMs again.
 Fenrir.Omgwtftaru
Server: Fenrir
user: kivyin
By Fenrir.Omgwtftaru 2010-08-18 03:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi, I'm currently going for the OA3 axe and I'm on the Vermin trial. I'm doing Biddybugs in Jugner Forest S, but they don't pop fast enough and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on where to go for this trial.

Thanks!

edit: [ S ] made it strike :x
 Ifrit.Frenchy
user: Frenchy
By Ifrit.Frenchy 2010-08-19 11:55:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm on the next to last trial (1314) for the Dex+4 pet: acc & racc+ axe. The hardest trial was the 150 Imps during Thunder/Lightningsday, considering you need pet kills. Was looking into the str+6 attk+16 axe, but the Apkallu Trial was a bit of a discouragement.
 Asura.Darryn
Server: Asura
user: Darien
By Asura.Darryn 2010-08-24 01:00:18
Link | Quote | Reply

For vermin(oa2-3 axe) do bees in wajaom woodlands. There is a spot with 2 hives outside al zahbi. It will spawn 6 bees and very little down time enough to get 1 tick of hp with stay.
As far as the bees for trial 330 i leveled synced to 25 in pash marshlands and camped far right wall about Beadeaux.
I did 330 in less then 2hrs. Check weather before you go.

Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-08-25 12:20:52
Link | Quote | Reply

got be carfull with these trials some on wiki still arnt listed
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [43 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Kidrolla
Server: Asura
user: Kidrolla
By Asura.Kidrolla 2010-10-07 13:44:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Were s the best place to kill bombs for pdt axe, earth day weather.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kyrial
By Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial 2010-10-07 13:57:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kidrolla said:
Were s the best place to kill bombs for pdt axe, earth day weather.
I did that trial in Eldieme (S), at J-11 on Map 2. There's a room with 6 Ignis Djinns (level 68-72), with 2 more in the hallway just past that room (still at J-11), and on the other side of the hallway is a room with a bunch more of them. Be very careful pulling from that room though, as Tethra (the Taru Fomor HNM) is also in there. They don't link, and earth weather happened decently often while I was doing the trial. With the weather = 5 kills thing, it shouldn't take long. I imagine it'd be much easier for BST too (I was doing it on WAR, for the non-pet PDT axe, which are identical trials aside from the pet killing blow part).

Also worthy of note is that they only use Dark Wave (AoE Bio, 8 HP/tick at day and 20 HP/tick at night) and Penumbral Impact (single-target dark damage, ignores shadows). They will only use Nocturnal Combustion if you hit them with magic of the element matching the current game day. For BSTs who don't mind sacrificing jug pets (I don't think there's anything charmable there), /RDM might be an option to force them to blow up and speed up kills. :P They don't use it immediately after getting hit with the nuke (unless they are below 25% health), just whenever they happen to use their TP.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-10-07 14:38:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Or you can just do Djinns in Batallia (S), there's an assload of them up near the Beaucedine Hill, all around the Eldieme entrance there. Like a good 20-25 of them. You might run into a few Too Weaks, but for the most part you get alot of EP and you can clear the TW while weather is down. They die very quickly too, and it's less dangerous.

Depending on weather, which is usually common there, you can finish it up in 30 mins to an hour.
 Phoenix.Wackatramp
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Wackatramp 2010-10-07 15:24:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I finished 2 pet PDT axes for -9% each. I was averaging 40-50 bombs in ifrit's cauldron a game day. I'd 2 hour my pet, pop a sub and go to town. Always keep a stun handy and sub dancer. If you dont have 100tp, you have to options to stun self destruct, feral howl and sheep song. Quickstep or boxstepping when you have over 100tp also will help. Store 5, and you gain 60tp back after a self destruct.

I'm currently working on 2 pet evasion axes for Yuly and Anna tanking. Annas evasion boost tp move is underrated.

I have 800 WS's left to do on raptors for the store tp + 14 axe. Why I even started beats the *** out of me.

And finally, my dear Farsha....so far away. More easily attainable then Aymur, but ***.....I'm working on getting the fistule discharge, but have no help whatsoever.

I want Farsha
 Alexander.Xynthios
Server: Alexander
user: Xynthios
By Alexander.Xynthios 2010-10-08 10:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I also finished my set of Guichard +1's like last week or so...

I, myself did the first set of bombs on my first axe in Halvung, since it shares Earth weather with Mount Zhayolm which usually has frequent dusty weather.

Starting at I-8, killing the 3 bombs in this location, then going clockwise, making my way to J-5, killing 2 bombs here and a further 2 in the tunnel at K-5... after this cycle the weather would usually wear.

I would get on average about 35-40 kills per cycle, which is good because it takes about 10-12 minutes for repops anyway.

The second time around on my second axe, I did half in Halvung again but weather started being a *** at this moment in time, so I went to Eldieme (S) to check out what the Djinns were like at the undead camp, at the same time doing my Skeleton trial kills as well and it went rather smoothly, especially in a duo.

Edit: Btw, at the time, my server had no Astral Candescence so I just had to camp here until completion.

Edit #2: Also I forgot to mention, to stun Self-Destruct I either saved my own TP for Smash Axe or I used Fatso Fargann's "Suction" move which stuns, and usually alternated between them.
 Leviathan.Gotterdammerung
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Gotterdammerung 2010-10-08 17:12:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I got 2 pet pdt -9%
2 pet mdef +8
1 OA3
1 Renauds (incomplete)
1 Player Mab (incomplete)
1 OA3 NQ ( incomplete)
2 pet evasion (incomplete
and im also working on farsha and Alards xD

I figure bout another month or 2 for all except the farsha to be complete.

I like vunkerl inletS for crabs n bombs. Syncing to dunes for earth crabs is good too. Especially if ur doing leg seal quests while weather is down. Also SE changed pet kills to credit entire party no matter whose pet kills it. So if i had to do it over again i definately woulda teamed up.
By Espio22 2010-10-09 16:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

i have 2 pet pdt -9%
2 pet mdb -8%
1 oa3
1 pet acc+ guichard +1s
1 pet att+ guichard +1s
2 pet eva+ guichard +1s
i dont really like using glyph axe unless im fighting something where the acc, att, eva axes dont really shine, like campaign. its usually just equipped while idle.
 Cerberus.Nutt
Server: Cerberus
user: zuriel
By Cerberus.Nutt 2010-10-09 17:35:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I helped my really good friend Nevery with his Crabs(lol). I let him level sync to my 40ish RDM in Qufim.

Thunder is up a lot there and sometimes light is up as well.

Loves ya Nevery!

For Vermin, hang out in the Boyahda Tree. Mages are there for their spider trials as well and it's easy to team up. DRK also needs spiders for a trial.
 Phoenix.Wackatramp
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Wackatramp 2010-11-05 01:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Gotterdammerung said:
I got 2 pet pdt -9%
2 pet mdef +8
1 OA3
1 Renauds (incomplete)
1 Player Mab (incomplete)
1 OA3 NQ ( incomplete)
2 pet evasion (incomplete
and im also working on farsha and Alards xD

I figure bout another month or 2 for all except the farsha to be complete.

You re doing 2 OA3 axes? I'm confused. How hard was the Pet mdef axe and where the hell did you find that many slimes? I'm finding the Renaud's axe more of a pain in the *** to finish. I'm averaging 60 or so WSs an hour on raptors /dnc.

I'm debating on the OAT or OAT-3 axe. I'm leaning more on the OAT axe, just because it takes less time to do and has fairly decent damage. But 2-3x, is made amazing when /dnc, so I ll see what happens after the puks.