Future of DRK
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Phoenix.Mikumaru
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Mikumaru
By Phoenix.Mikumaru 2010-03-15 11:58:31
Link | Quote | Reply

i am having trouble finding the page i remember reading this on , but i could swear Square said something about Making Adjustments to DRK . Something about it being so self destructive and the magical portion of it being largely ignored . The info also stated something about adjustment of Absorb spells , which i thought they did already .
My DRK is only Lv37 but even with the 3 or 4 Absorb spells i have , i dont see adjusting them making the job any different . I cant really think how they would be able to balance Physical and Magical prowess without making this job RDM in nature . i mean RDM is the Duelist (Dualist?lol) being able to use magic and wield Edged weapons . In most cases , a RDM is never considered a DD , Magic or Physical .
Wat would it take for you to use DRKs magic more ? Tier 3 ? Tier 4 ? some more Enhancing Magics like En-spells or the ability to help support the PT ? aside from gimping things like Souleater , Bloodweapon , and Dread spikes i cant see any reason for a DRK to not be a Phys Only DD that uses Magic to enhance this aspect (thru absorb spells ).
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-15 12:02:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps some sort spells that deal Dark damage. Maybe a trait or ability that greatly increases magic damage dealt via magic bursts. As for the absorbs, I imagine they'd increase how much of the stat is absorbed due to the level cap increase. Tier 3 or 4 nukes may be in the works, but with their long cast times I don't think they'll be useful (especially with DRK's abysmal MP pool). My best bet would be on Dark damage spells (like the spell Dark for instance lol).
 Titan.Serei
Server: Titan
user: Serei
By Titan.Serei 2010-03-15 12:09:54
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, i have to agree it would be nice if SE would show us drk's some freaking love for once.. SAM has become so over powered it's just sicking.

personally i think SE needs to fix our 2hr. doing bloodweapon with 2hnd weapon is pointless..

but yea, some more spells for us would be nice.. hell blm is getting metor.. maybe drk should get something like dark... or some higher lvl's of bio.
[+]
 Bahamut.Angelos
Server: Bahamut
user: Angelos01
By Bahamut.Angelos 2010-03-15 12:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dameshi said:
Perhaps some sort spells that deal Dark damage. Maybe a trait or ability that greatly increases magic damage dealt via magic bursts. As for the absorbs, I imagine they'd increase how much of the stat is absorbed due to the level cap increase. Tier 3 or 4 nukes may be in the works, but with their long cast times I don't think they'll be useful (especially with DRK's abysmal MP pool). My best bet would be on Dark damage spells (like the spell Dark for instance lol).

Dont forget Demi :x
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-15 12:16:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Angelos said:
Asura.Dameshi said:

Dont forget Demi :x
For Drk? That's a time magic spell :P Not that I'd complain about getting it.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-03-15 12:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

If we're gonna get a magic boost, make it so we can cast while attacking or something. Otherwise, a melee boost would be nice... maybe Last Resort duration? Pretty please.
[+]
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-15 12:18:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
If we're gonna get a magic boost, make it so we can cast while attacking or something. Otherwise, a melee boost would be nice... maybe Last Resort duration? Pretty please.
Problem with Last Resort's duration being increased is that it would be too powerful with merits. Imagine if they boosted it to even 1 minute. 25% haste for a minute? Yes please!
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-03-15 12:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

1 minute duration, 4 minute recast. +15% Haste and +25% Attack.

Honestly though, I personally think it's almost worthless with the loooow duration that only really lets you get off like 8 attacks or something before wearing.
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
Server: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-03-15 12:21:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd level DRK if they put a lot more emphasis on magic spells

Remora.Ampelius
Server: Remora
user: Ampelius
By Remora.Ampelius 2010-03-15 12:28:08
Link | Quote | Reply

this has always been a sore spot for me. I got the game in 2004 and wanted DRK to be my main job. I was a total noob, and thought the concept of a scythe-weilding-black-mage was sweet. So, as a noob, I focused on my magic and got some MP gears and then I found out DRK has lolmagic and it's totally worthless and pointless and of no value to cast.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-15 12:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:
It would certainly make it more unique than SAM or WAR.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-03-15 12:30:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Problem with Last Resort's duration being increased is that it would be too powerful with merits. Imagine if they boosted it to even 1 minute. 25% haste for a minute? Yes please!

Oh, I agree at the moment. At 99 this might not be the case and if more sources of Haste become available then Last Resort is going to be even more of a joke.

At the moment, Last Resort with 5/5 Recast/Effect + Desperate Blows is incredibly tasty even if it only lasts for 30 seconds... but compared to Berserk which WAR gets, ugh.
Quote:

If it didn't stop your swinging, you'd see a lot more dark magic casting :(
 Fairy.Tussilo
user: Tussilo
By Fairy.Tussilo 2010-03-15 12:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to make note of a couple things because I feel the majority of DRKs do neglect to use their magic, when there is absolutely no reason to.

For starters DRKs do have a Dark Magic damage spell; it's called drain/II. These two spells are immensely useful but are too often neglected. Why? Because most DRKs can't take the time to make a simple Dark Magic build, so they're almost always resisted. Check out the set on my FFXIAH page for an example, but a simple set consists of dark earring/torque/AF(+1) head, crimson/blood or AF2 hands/legs and either haste or macc where you can find it. Dark Torque/Earring are relatively inexpensive and will make a noticeable difference.

Something to note: If applicable I use Anrin Obi in place of Swift Belt/Crimson Belt. For those of you that don't know it's one of the sea obis, and DOES increase drain/IIs potency where the weather/day is present. You can reach upwards of 450 Drain IIs under the right conditions.

Now I understand -and agree- that DRK's spells at low levels are abysmal; ABS-attribute amounts are usually so low that the effect is negligible. However, drain can still be used to heal minor injuries, and can even be used for that -last3%butitjustwon'tdie- killshot. On top of this once you get Absorb-TP your play style should be changing. Although this applies more to when you have a weapon skill of substance (rampage, guillotine) you should start practicing your cast times. If you time Abs-TP correctly you can get anywhere from 50 - 100+ TP (the latter available through the use of Weapon Bash). This can add up to some good WS DoT, especially if you're /SAM.

Now! All this being said I also realize that because of the camps available to us we're often exping against magic resistant/reflecting birds. Obviously if that's the case then your play style has to become a little less magic driven.

I got a little off topic but I'd like to summarize with that I think DRKs already have a good arsenal of magic available to them. I make use of it quite often, and the benefits (ie: healing via drain, extra TP) always outweigh the potential loss (ie: DoT). I read somewhere that people suggested things like Absorb-SPEED or Absorb-ATTACK. I don't know about the ABS-SPD, but ABS-ATK I could see being implemented; DRK has long since needed an attack boosting job specific JA that lasts more than 30 seconds.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-03-15 12:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
and the benefits (ie: healing via drain, extra TP) always outweigh the potential loss (ie: DoT).

Not if you have merit-level buffs :( Drain is giving you a small bit of HP and no TP, and Absorb-TP is giving you no damage but a decent bit of TP (sometimes you'll get 0 or so though unless your timing is flawless) - swinging gives you both, along with the chance of Double Attack procs etc.
 Fairy.Tussilo
By Fairy.Tussilo 2010-03-15 12:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Quote:
and the benefits (ie: healing via drain, extra TP) always outweigh the potential loss (ie: DoT).

Not if you have merit-level buffs :( Drain is giving you a small bit of HP and no TP, and Absorb-TP is giving you no damage but a decent bit of TP (sometimes you'll get 0 or so though unless your timing is flawless) - swinging gives you both, along with the chance of Double Attack procs etc.

I agree with you about drain I in merits; I disagree with you about II. Also, if you do have merit buffs you likely have double march and haste. If that's the case your Absorb TP recast is around 30 seconds. 50+ TP every 30 seconds is better than Meditate, and no one tells SAMs they should be swinging instead. Also, it's not that hard to watch a mob and use a spell AFTER it uses a weapon skill. Heaven forbid people pay a bit of attention.
[+]
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-15 12:44:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Tussilo said:
I'd like to make note of a couple things because I feel the majority of DRKs do neglect to use their magic, when there is absolutely no reason to.

For starters DRKs do have a Dark Magic damage spell; it's called drain/II. These two spells are immensely useful but are too often neglected. Why? Because most DRKs can't take the time to make a simple Dark Magic build, so they're almost always resisted. Check out the set on my FFXIAH page for an example, but a simple set consists of dark earring/torque/AF(+1) head, crimson/blood or AF2 hands/legs and either haste or macc where you can find it. Dark Torque/Earring are relatively inexpensive and will make a noticeable difference.

Something to note: If applicable I use Anrin Obi in place of Swift Belt/Crimson Belt. For those of you that don't know it's one of the sea obis, and DOES increase drain/IIs potency where the weather/day is present. You can reach upwards of 450 Drain IIs under the right conditions.

Now I understand -and agree- that DRK's spells at low levels are abysmal; ABS-attribute amounts are usually so low that the effect is negligible. However, drain can still be used to heal minor injuries, and can even be used for that -last3%butitjustwon'tdie- killshot. On top of this once you get Absorb-TP your play style should be changing. Although this applies more to when you have a weapon skill of substance (rampage, guillotine) you should start practicing your cast times. If you time Abs-TP correctly you can get anywhere from 50 - 100+ TP (the latter available through the use of Weapon Bash). This can add up to some good WS DoT, especially if you're /SAM.

Now! All this being said I also realize that because of the camps available to us we're often exping against magic resistant/reflecting birds. Obviously if that's the case then your play style has to become a little less magic driven.

I got a little off topic but I'd like to summarize with that I think DRKs already have a good arsenal of magic available to them. I make use of it quite often, and the benefits (ie: healing via drain, extra TP) always outweigh the potential loss (ie: DoT). I read somewhere that people suggested things like Absorb-SPEED or Absorb-ATTACK. I don't know about the ABS-SPD, but ABS-ATK I could see being implemented; DRK has long since needed an attack boosting job specific JA that lasts more than 30 seconds.
Oh I agree. I love my spells. Even without a dark magic set my drains are decent (often times over 300 drain II). I ride the Absorb-TP timer (which rocks as /sch btw. Everyone should try it for fun. Makes campaign awesome. Alacrity + Dread spikes while tanking, Absorb-TP otherwise). My biggest complaint is that other than Drains, aspir and absorb tp, the rest are virtually useless. Absorb ACC or STR for WS if you have extra mp to burn, but I see no use for any elemental magic DRK has or the other absorbs. Sleep I & II are nice to have, but with a low enfeebling skill they aren't very useful.

Hmm but now I'm derailing the thread. >.> So um... yeah Dark spells... yep. Give them to us. And attacking while casting would be awesome.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-03-15 12:45:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Meditate is an instant JA and does not hinder your swinging speed, Absorb-TP does. Meditate is pretty bad on anything you are fulltime meleeing anyway... doesn't add up to much damage over time.
Quote:
Also, it's not that hard to watch a mob and use a spell AFTER it uses a weapon skill.

How often are you going to not waste any of the TP you just got (eg 70% => 130% is a waste) every 30 seconds or so? Not often.
 Unicorn.Jewkitten
Server: Unicorn
user: Jewkitten
By Unicorn.Jewkitten 2010-03-15 12:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply

As a RDM soloing in campaign I can macro my HQ staves and full equipment swap to cast my enfeebles and nukes then swap back to joyeuse/genbu's shield NP, cause I largely don't use TP.

A DRK... well they are melee centered and their magic is ignored cause their magic accuracy blows goats for quarters. Swapping into a elemental stave so a tierII nuke can land is not worth the TP/melee swings lost.

If SE seriously wants to fix DRK they need to offer it a line of gear that MASSIVELY increases Magic Accuracy, the equivalent of what a HQ staff and afew good gears would offer.

I believe all the jobs do the same basic things in their own unique way. So considering the amount of dmg SAM, RNG and BLM pump out it would not exceed any of those jobs dmg to allow DRK to use their MP pool accurately and with some potent spells.

I also propose a line of DRK specific DoT spells to augment their dmg. Maybe a Poison III or En-dark.
 Fairy.Tussilo
By Fairy.Tussilo 2010-03-15 12:49:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Attacking while casting would be awesome, but that would have to be a cross-game/job thing they would need to implement and I don't see that happening.

Sleep I/II are OK in those weird situations where you unexpectedly aggro something, but as you said low enfeebling skill doesn't make it very practical in end game.

Fairy.Tussilo
By Fairy.Tussilo 2010-03-15 12:52:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol? That doesn't even make sense... Even if (using your example) you cast the spell at 70%, you now have enough TP to WS; the extra that comes with it is irrelevant. You can WS sooner, rather than waiting for two swings to connect. (sorry, DA is so fickle on anything other than DRK/WAR or DRK+COR it doesn't count). I don't see how that damage is less than what you'd do with an extra swing.

EDIT: Er sorry, @ Ryu. My quote apparently didn't work...
 Phoenix.Sathon
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Sathon 2010-03-15 12:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Make absorb spells into an AoE for the party. For instance Absorbacc -15 from mob whole pary gets +15 acc.

Siphon job abillity that lets drk cast drain and aspir and give it to a target party member.

Aspir II drains target mobs HP and give you mp for it.

If last resort gives so much hate increase the dmg percent to +30% attk.

Souleater ability to lose 50% less hp upon hitting a mob.

Change mods of Insurgency so it performs better than Guillotine consistently (from what I've seen)

2nd stun spell with a longer duration.

iono anyone?
[+]
 Seraph.Kat
Server: Seraph
user: KatOtaku
By Seraph.Kat 2010-03-15 12:53:15
Link | Quote | Reply

This dark magic skill increase idea sounds kind of cool for the drains and absorbs, but we really need a new JA or two. Maybe replace our two hour with something and make blood weapon a regular JA. That would increase the usefulness of souleater.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2010-03-15 12:53:37
Link | Quote | Reply

DRK needs adjustments blah blah blah

sure they do, no one cares. You know what DRK did get though? Level cap increase. you know what that means????

OCTAVE CLUB @ 80, 88, and 96!

/end thread
 Asura.Revelation
user: Oric
By Asura.Revelation 2010-03-15 12:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Absorbga-TP Anyone?
 Unicorn.Jewkitten
Server: Unicorn
user: Jewkitten
By Unicorn.Jewkitten 2010-03-15 12:57:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Sovereign said:
DRK needs adjustments blah blah blah

sure they do, no one cares. You know what DRK did get though? Level cap increase. you know what that means????

OCTAVE CLUB @ 80, 88, and 96!

/end thread

O.O ...

:O ...

kinda-free Kraken clubs for all!!!!:D
 Seraph.Dreakon
user: Dreakon
By Seraph.Dreakon 2010-03-15 12:59:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Any career Drk wouldn't want to keep their favorite job stuck at level 96 just for one weapon. Zerging is nice, but Drk can do more than just that.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-15 13:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Revelation said:
Absorbga-TP Anyone?
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that'll just give you the highest amount drained from any single mob. Assuming you're talking about /SCH Manifestation, that is. Native... meh. Would be nifty for Campaign but elsewhere you usually try and avoid letting multiple mobs get TP, ya know? It would have to be pretty weak with a large number of targets too, so as a TP control for -aga manaburns it wouldn't work too well either.
 Cerberus.Oric
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Oric 2010-03-15 13:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriously tho, Party AoE absorb spells would be amazing.

They could make it so it triples the amount, then divides it by the members in range. Ex. you asborb-TP for 60TP.. x3 =180, /4 people(melee's etc.) in party that are in range = 45TP for all :D
 Seraph.Dreakon
user: Dreakon
By Seraph.Dreakon 2010-03-15 13:06:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Oric said:
Seriously tho, Party AoE absorb spells would be amazing.

They could make it so it triples the amount, then divides it by the members in range. Ex. you asborb-TP for 60TP.. x3 =180, /4 people(melee's etc.) in party that are in range = 45TP for all :D

Then pull massive hate and die. Drk enfeebs already pull a ton of hate, hence why you see so many Nin/Drks. I couldn't begin to imagine the enmity SE would give such a spell.
 Cerberus.Oric
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Oric 2010-03-15 13:06:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Asura.Revelation said:
Absorbga-TP Anyone?
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that'll just give you the highest amount drained from any single mob. Assuming you're talking about /SCH Manifestation, that is. Native... meh. Would be nifty for Campaign but elsewhere you usually try and avoid letting multiple mobs get TP, ya know? It would have to be pretty weak with a large number of targets too, so as a TP control for -aga manaburns it wouldn't work too well either.

Oh, I was meaning like a new Absorb spells that gives the effects absorbed to the entire party (or members in range rather)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6