2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Defense ratings with respect to fighting
Defense ratings with respect to fighting
Server: Remora
Game: FFXI
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-11-10 14:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure how to view the Defense ratings on gear with respect to fighting mobs.

Suppose my current Defense is 130. And a particular mob will hit me for 50 with my current gear. Would adding another 10 Defense (new total of 140) result in that particular mob only hitting me for 40? Or is the calculation more complicated than that?

Thank you for clearing this up for me!
 Lakshmi.Badkarma
Server: Lakshmi
user: BK
By Lakshmi.Badkarma 2008-11-10 15:19:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Defense is the most *** up stat in this game
 Siren.Khellendros
Server: Siren
By Siren.Khellendros 2008-11-10 15:53:41
Link | Quote | Reply

The calculations are a bit more complex than just a straight damage mitigation. It also takes into consideration your stats (Enemy Str vs Player Vit) as well as the "damage" of the enemy. There's a page on wiki with the damage calculations, I'll post it if someone else doesn't before I do.
 Shiva.Farseer
Server: Shiva
user: Farseer
By Shiva.Farseer 2008-11-10 20:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Defence Ffxiclopedia
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-11-11 10:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, thank you. Didn't think to search for Defense on there!

In the context of soloing, I'm trying to understand if going with higher-defense armor is better than going with lower-defense armor that provides stat bumps. It seems like the game doesn't corner things into a discrete answer, rather letting you craft different methodologies for playing. That is both wonderful and unsettling. :)
 Shiva.Farseer
Server: Shiva
user: Farseer
By Shiva.Farseer 2008-11-11 12:03:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it depends on what job and what level and what monsters you are fighting
 Siren.Khellendros
Server: Siren
By Siren.Khellendros 2008-11-11 15:55:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends mostly on what those stats give you. Stats are usually 2:1 deal for a stat to a particular rating, such as defense or attack (this differs for 2-handed weapons) but for the most part you'll get 1 defense point for 2 points of Vitality. Then again, you're probably going to want to look at whether or not you're going to be taking hits as a DD and balance it that way. It's all about weighing the positives against the negatives, and finding the balance you like.
 Seraph.Eihnlazer
Server: Seraph
user: Eihnlazer
By Seraph.Eihnlazer 2008-11-18 02:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Defence has 3 categories that bring large change to your damage received.

low defence means your gonna take almost full dmg per hit from the mob.

Nuetral defence means theres gonna be a decent sized spread in the damage you take.

High defence means you will take minimal defence from the mob.

These categories change based on the attack vs. defence calculations. Generally speaking the only job that can attain high defence in exp is pld by eating defence up food though. Soloing or farming is a different matter as any job eating defence food might make high defence againgst even match or lower mobs.
 Odin.Agana
Server: Odin
user: Agana
By Odin.Agana 2008-11-18 11:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Really look at it like:

VIT is your threshold for taking damage.
Defense lowers the damage you take, within that threshold.

For low level parties, you usually can get enough defense with tav tacos to be set for defense, and just stick with maxing your VIT.
 Hades.Triet
Server: Hades
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2008-11-18 13:05:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Agana is correct. VIT is the main stat that directly effects defense. 2 VIT = 1 DEF. But, yes there is a but, if you plan on leveling PLD for end-game stuff, then you will need to directly focus on a couple other stats versus VIT. These stats are DEF(itself), HP, Magic Defense, Physical Damage and lastly ENM+ if you have trouble holding hate. The reason why you stop worrying about VIT as end-game PLD is because the mobs attacks will ignore the VIT you have. AGI is another stat that may help out a PLD as well because it helps in the area of when you are critically hit. AGI lowers the bar for an opponents critical hit damage.
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-11-18 13:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the responses guys. I do understand that VIT is potential and DEF is your ability to come closer to that potential, same as the relationship between STR and ATK, respectively. How do you know when there is an imbalance? i.e. too much VIT and need more DEF. Or am I thinking about this incorrectly? Maybe an imbalance in VIT's favor is okay because it mitigates the damage received on a critical hit?
 Odin.Agana
Server: Odin
user: Agana
By Odin.Agana 2008-11-21 14:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

When you equip more defense and take less overall damage. It's all about how you mix and match your gear to get the best out of it.