Forum » FFXI » General » The auction house
The auction house
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2008-11-04 22:32:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Something that I have been wanting to know ever since the first time I ever put something up on the auction house. Why can you only use 7 of the 10 slots available? If anyone know the answer for that, please let me know. Maybe SE is just beeing plain evil and showing us what we can't have?
 Garuda.Littledarc
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Littledarc 2008-11-04 22:44:20
Link | Quote | Reply

me thinks it is that way to entice you to buy another content id to sell on a mule.
 Bismarck.Shazamalicious
Server: Bismarck
user:
By Bismarck.Shazamalicious 2008-11-04 22:52:12
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

It's their system set in place to battle RMT activites via the Auction House.

(I don't know if this is true but this is the excuse they give for all inconvenient things so lets go with it here too)
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2008-11-05 00:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

My theory is that at some point in the past of the game players were allowed to put 10 items on the AH at once, but it was reigned back for economy balance or something like that.

Either that, or the default box size is 10 and their programmers didn't feel like changing it.
 Ragnarok.Saeryn
Server: Ragnarok
user: Saeryn
By Ragnarok.Saeryn 2008-11-05 02:40:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to guess Sammitch's second theory.
 Fairy.Telamon
Server: Fairy
user: prisonsex
By Fairy.Telamon 2008-11-05 03:43:15
Link | Quote | Reply

same reason they sell hotdogs in 6 packs and buns in 8 packs
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2008-11-05 04:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Sammitch said:
My theory is that at some point in the past of the game players were allowed to put 10 items on the AH at once, but it was reigned back for economy balance or something like that. Either that, or the default box size is 10 and their programmers didn't feel like changing it.

I dont know about that, I've been in this game for little more than 5 years, and there's never been that you could use all spaces during my time. I know! Maybe those players that lso work as GM's get the benefit of 10 spaces :D
 Unicorn.Claquesous
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Claquesous 2008-11-05 09:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

At one point, I thought I had heard it was because of bandwidth concerns. I don't remember if this was speculation or an answer from SE.

It's not RMT because it's clear that SE had no plan originally for RMT, but the limit has been there from well before they started considering RMT. (The first RMT measures I remember are R/Ex twins and 1 million gil delivery limit.)
 Pandemonium.Weisheng
Server: Pandemonium
user: Weisheng
By Pandemonium.Weisheng 2008-11-05 10:04:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Claquesous said:
(The first RMT measures I remember are R/Ex twins and 1 million gil delivery limit.)

/nod

I remember that also. suddenly there was a line of people waiting by the delivery npc in lower jeuno AH.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-11-05 12:20:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Another possibility (which we discovered while making this site) is that the Auction House system is just poorly coded.

It uses poorly implemented socket code, the wrong type of data connection for its original intent, and relies on antiquated conventions to transmit data. Part of this poor coding can be seen in-game, by how the auction house downloads lists of items in "bursts," and is otherwise slow and hard to use. It's also evident by how trying to re-list certain menus while the others are still downloading -- even if you've closed the window -- errors and asks you to wait and try again.

The poorly implemented front-end, with its lack of search capability and multiple nested levels of long unordered lists are all there to disguise the fact that the system is absolute crap "under the hood."

I would not be surprised if they have only 7 slots available simply to keep their system from crashing.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-11-05 14:41:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Saeryn said:
I'm going to guess Sammitch's second theory.

SAE! <3

Oh and, to make it seem as if I am *not* stalking Saeryn, I will contribute to the thread.... SE just hates us :D
 Midgardsormr.Waluigi
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Waluigi
By Midgardsormr.Waluigi 2008-11-05 19:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.jpbutton.com/?p=157#more-157

On 07/09/2002 the number of items sold on the AH was lessened from 8 to 7. Since the page is just a listing, it doesn't cite reasonings however.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2008-11-05 22:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Waluigi said:
http://www.jpbutton.com/?p=157#more-157 On 07/09/2002 the number of items sold on the AH was lessened from 8 to 7. Since the page is just a listing, it doesn't cite reasonings however.

cool site! brings back memories :D
 Valefor.Forgotten
Server: Valefor
user: Forg
By Valefor.Forgotten 2008-11-06 07:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

When they 1st implemented the AH it had 10 slots and it crashed several times. Then it had 8. I don't remember when but they moved it to 7 after that. So in other words, Jaerik hit the nail on the head.
Server: Remora
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-11-06 08:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if it is the cause of poor implementation, 7 is not a terrible number, in my humblest. It encourages people to price things appropriately or learn to bazaar effectively. These are good skills to cultivate.
 Gilgamesh.Eole
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Eole
By Gilgamesh.Eole 2008-11-06 09:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

AH coder must've been internship student :p
 Odin.Evilchris
Server: Odin
By Odin.Evilchris 2008-11-06 12:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Eole said:
AH coder must've been internship student :p

All SE programmers must be, who work on this game.

All in all, it helps with their "time sink"
 Ramuh.Stryyker
Server: Ramuh
user: Stryyker
By Ramuh.Stryyker 2008-11-06 16:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, any problem that we as FFXI players have we can have it "fixed" if we bomb the comment/ suggestion box within POL or on the main website. Like for instance the bibiki shell quest and why we can't regain that shell if it was lost way before the "tell us in a week and we'll get the item back for you" campaign.